Veiled Sentiments: Honor and Poetry in a Bedouin Society (updated with a new preface)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Updated Edition With a New Preface

Lila Abu-Lughod lived with a community of Bedouins in the Western Desert of Egypt for nearly two years, studying gender relations and the oral lyric poetry through which women and young men express personal feelings. The poems are haunting, the evocation of emotional life vivid. But her analysis also reveals how deeply implicated poetry an...more
Published March 31st 2000 by University of California Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Veiled Sentiments, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Veiled Sentiments

Jayme
First off I loved this book. I read through it almost (not quite but almost) as one does through fiction. Lila Abu-Lughod's concentrated account of Bedouin life, from her semi-internal perspective, is beautiful.

My eyebrows did raise in irritiation during the first chapter. I anticipated a dry, highly academic analysis of a people group. I was not looking forward to this. And in the first chapter of method-explanation, Abu Lughod does use that certain--often obnoxious--bank of anthropological voc...more
Lauren
A popular work among undergraduate anthropology students, and for good reason. Like Karen McCarthy Brown's "Mama Lola", it contains reflexive anthropology, as the ethnographer is both friend and observer of her interlocutors. Feminists who view Islam as a religion oppressive of women should read this for an alternative perspective that comes from the heart of Muslim women themselves. The most fascinating segment of this ethnography is the discussion of Bedouin men and women's use of spoken poetr...more
Shayane
I was lent this book by an anthropology student who thought that it might encourage my interest in the area, and truthfully, it's what helped me to decide to study anthropology at university. I think that it's honestly a very enlightening read about Bedouin society, in particular the veiling of women, and it's a book that I wholeheartedly recommend not just to people interested in anthropology, but also feminists interested in exploring other cultures more deeply.
Mary Rose
I can't deny that this book is well written, and I would call it a must-read for anyone who wants a female perspective on the Bedouin people, but I really couldn't get into it. I don't want to be one of those White Western Feminists who looks down on other societies, but page after page on female subservience to men does get a little exhausting after a while. It wasn't my cup of tea, and I read it for a class, but if you're interested in the subject matter definitely pick up a copy.
Rachel Terry
The author lived with the Awlad 'Ali Bedouin tribe for two years, 1978-1980 while she was working on anthropology graduate work. Even though I'm sure the differences between modern Bedouins and ancient Middle Easterners is vast, I felt like I was reading an ethnography of Old Testament people, which was very helpful and interesting. The first half of the book gives a cultural context and the last half places everyday ghinnawa poetry in that context. Expanded my understanding.
Lani
An academic and somewhat dry book about Bedouin society that I accidentally stole from my womens studies professor. It's been quite awhile since I read it, but I do remember that the topic is the book's saving grace. Bedouin culture and their way of expressing themselves was engrossing, and I enjoyed learning more.
Jamie is
Sep 01, 2007 Jamie is rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anthropologists, and not really those who have a general interest in arab cultures
Shelves: favebooks
loved abu lughod's musings on bedouin culture and her interaction with it, as well as the poetry which she recorded. however, the use of the veil as a metaphor or main theme for middle eastern cultures is hackneyed and misguided and is the reason why i removed a star from my rating.
Brad
Very tight analysis linking kinship, ideology and oral narrative. An excellent introduction to ethnographic writing for undergrads and forms part of the conversations on the ethnography of speaking, or text, texture and context of oral narrative.
Crystal
Beat some of the points to death, but overall it wasn't a bad read. It was enlightening and thought-provoking. If I had more time, I'd like to read more about the Bedouin society as they seem to be a fascinating people.
Steven
Jul 24, 2007 Steven rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: culturalstudies
This was one of the most beautiful books I have ever read. If you have ever wanted a deeper understanding of the Bedouins or the Muslim practice of veiling, you should read this.
Joann
This is a beautiful book and will totally change your understanding of the veiling practices of certain cultures. Read with an open mind.
Maitha
I liked it but the one thing that kept me hesitant throughout the book is that she wrote it without the Awlad Ali's permission.
Vashti Puls
I shouls have been poor there. Alot of the same type restrictions for women in my strict Catholic family.
A
Chapter 1 contains the realities of fieldwork (author's father had to initially accompany her).
Michelle
Had to read this for one of my courses, and it was surprising good.
Danielle
Very good ethnography and one of the few that is pleasant to read.
Birgitte Bach
Uhyre interessant bog, men møg svær at læse.
Jesús
Jesús marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Nrtashi
Nrtashi marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Aimo B
Aimo B marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jaleel Plummer
Jaleel Plummer marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014
  • Writing Culture: The Poetics and Politics of Ethnography
  • Argonauts of the Western Pacific
  • Witchcraft, Oracles and Magic Among the Azande
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • Death Without Weeping: The Violence of Everyday Life in Brazil
  • The Gift: The Form and Reason for Exchange in Archaic Societies
  • The Interpretation of Cultures
  • Devil and Commodity Fetishism in South America
  • Return to Laughter: An Anthropological Novel
  • Coming of Age in Samoa: A Psychological Study of Primitive Youth for Western Civilisation
  • Neither Man Nor Woman: The Hijras of India
Writing Women's Worlds: Bedouin Stories Do Muslim Women Need Saving? Remaking Women: Feminism and Modernity in the Middle East Dramas of Nationhood: The Politics of Television in Egypt Local Contexts of Islamism in Popular Media