Start by marking “Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 2

Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 2 (Superman: For Tomorrow #2)

Don't miss this gorgeously illustrated hardcover volume collecting the conclusion of the stellar storyline by Brian Azzarello (100 BULLETS) and artists Jim Lee & Scott Williams (BATMAN) from SUPERMAN #210-215!

Superman faces the mystery of how millions of people seemingly vanished without a trace — including the love of his life, Lois Lane — only to find that he may be
Published December 6th 2006 by DC Comics (first published August 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Sud666
Jul 17, 2016 Sud666 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
In the follow up to the phenomenal first volume, Brian Azzarello finishes this truly amazing and wonderfully written tale of Superman. To pick up from Vol 1, Superman has gotten ahold of the machine that caused the vanishing. He finds out that it was HE himself who built it. If you want to know why, then well read this excellent 2 volume tale. I It begs questions such as "what exactly is heaven?" and "what makes a man good?" or even "Is Superman a man at all?". All these questions are asked and ...more
Sam Quixote
May 18, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it liked it
SPOILERS

This is a pretty ambitious storyline for Superman as it tells you that he created an entire dimension and that that was responsible for the mass vanishing that took place in Book 1. Brian Azzarello posits the theory that if Kal-El's father Jor-El created the Phantom Zone, that Kal-El should be able to do something similar except making it a utopia for emergencies, say if the planet is on the brink of destruction.

It's a great idea actually and gets to the heart of who Superman is and I ca
Jesse A
Sep 08, 2015 Jesse A rated it really liked it
Exceptional story. Beautiful art. Very well done!
Sketching Girl
I have read this book before, but it was a few years ago and I had forgotten it. I think it is trying to tell you a moral story, but for my liking there is a bit too much voiceover captions, and not quite enough evolving story. I feel sorry for the Preacher/Father character in it, I liked him, and would have liked to see more of his character in here. I also foudn this story a little confusing, as you don't see what led up to Superman creating what he did here, and it doesn't quite make sense to ...more
MB Taylor
Nov 12, 2015 MB Taylor rated it liked it
This is the conclusion to the story started in Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1 and reprints Superman #210-215 from 2004 & 2005. I was really impressed with the first half of the story (in volume one), but much less so with this half.

I thought the story fell flat and ultimately, it didn't touch me. It gets three stars for the after-glow from volume one, the first 15-20 pages and the last 2-3 pages. Too much of the middle of story involved an exceedingly boring slug-fest between Superman and a
Amalia Dillin
Mar 31, 2015 Amalia Dillin rated it really liked it
This is my review of Volumes 1 and 2 of SUPERMAN: FOR TOMORROW --

I thought it was beautifully written and beautifully illustrated, and I thought that the agony of Superman and his "sins" of ego and heartbreak were really well done. It addresses to some extent the question of what happens when Superman loses the links that really tie him to humanity and the world, though I think it could have gone even further and deeper into that, but it was a great taste. It reminded me of why I love Superman
Michael Emond
Apr 07, 2013 Michael Emond rated it did not like it
I considered rating it more because of Jim Lee's beautiful art, but you know what, even that could not make up for a story that misses the mark both in terms of the character of Superman and the plot that has any drama or logic. And I have to point out, as well constructed as Jim's art always is - it has always lacked heart and emotion for me. Give me a Perez or an early Byrne or even a simplistic Darwyn Cooke, Lee's art leaves me unaffected. What can I say about this horrible idea and horrible ...more
Michael Church
Aug 20, 2013 Michael Church rated it it was ok
Shelves: dc-comics
What the heck did I just read? The story gets wrapped up here in a way that closes most of the holes in the plot, but still makes no sense. Stuff about the Phantom Zone being repurposed and then someone coming back from an imprint and there's forced memory loss and all this other stuff that's ridiculous.

Worse, it's still such a pompous and self-involved plot that I didn't relate to it at all. The dialogue is forced and vague and contrived. There's an afterward from Jim Lee saying they did that
Victor Orozco
Pretty pictures do not make for a great story.

Someone once told me that Superman had evolved from being a strong-willed, certain living being with a good regard for what was right into a pathetic whiny, uncertain and angsty child. I figured it was because they watched too much Smallville. But this was a good example of an awful idea. This man put his pathetic feelings over his friends and what was right.

This was pretty terrible. D+
Nick
Feb 09, 2015 Nick rated it liked it
Picked this up to find out how the events in part 1 would be resolved. While the Phantom Zone twist was interesting, and the art was great, the story just wasn't meaty enough for me.
Javeria
Mar 20, 2015 Javeria rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books, superfam
Ehhh it was just not good it was kinda stupid i expected a better plot for a superman comic.The really dumb thing is that there's another land and stuff and Lois is living in peace i thought it would be a place of misery and cruelty but no shes there eating,drinking maybe even on vacation.I also did not like the art they drew superman very poorly in my own opinion. and when i saw lois lane i was like THAT IS NOT HOW SHE FRIKKIN LOOKS.Okay now for the good part wonder woman was in the comic same ...more
Mark Desrosiers
Apr 26, 2008 Mark Desrosiers rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
In the jaw-dropping conclusion, we find Superman making sweet naked love to Lois Lane in heaven (seriously!) while a punch-drunk Clark Kent is strapped to the back of this massive beastie named Equus. Also making appearances are Kryptonians Jor-El (Superman's pop) and Zod (you remember: he was played by Terence Stamp in Superman II). Again, the plot is a totally bonkers, and you grow weary of Superman thinking aloud all the time, but it's nice to see the Man of Tomorrow take a "dark" turn for a ...more
Jeffrey Jelmeland
Wow!!! Really, that pretty much says it all. This was probably the best Superman story arc I have ever read. An extremely powerful story told over the course of two volumes with some absolutely astounding artwork. I wasn't so sure when I read the first volume, and while I enjoyed it I didn't like the incomplete feeling I had when I finished it. Add this to that story, as was intended all along, and that story is complete. Make the effort to read both volumes and you won't regret doing so.
Jack
Aug 24, 2009 Jack rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This series started really strong in Superman: For Tomorrow Vol. 1 with Superman feeling conflicted about his role in the world and starting a friendship with a priest. However, it slid way down hill with the return (again!) of Zod and a boring, confusing alternate reality plot that was resolved too quickly. Too bad. Azzarello, you almost wrote a comic that I liked!
Ashley
Sep 06, 2009 Ashley rated it liked it
Volume 1 I loved. I thought the questions asked and the characters introduced were fascinating and that the parallels drawn were interesting. But the second half is too...righteous in a pious manner. The story is about people making wrong choices and I think the choices in the end are also wrong. My inner Lois is very angry over the ending.
Tiago Pomella Lobo
Apr 24, 2013 Tiago Pomella Lobo rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Great story, great final enemy, great drawings. Much better than most Superman stories I`ve read. Some facts are not completely explained, I think, but definetely worth reading.
The story takes its time to develop, and to make sense, but once it does, you feel a certain sense of accomplishment only given by those well constructed stories.
Jan 08, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The concluding volume that ties everything together and highlights the developing father/son/faith arc created in Azzarello's first book. Not a stunner, with art by Jim Lee that looks too detailed and perfect to have gravity for me. However, it's always nice to see Lois, and watch Superman regain his love for Earth through her.
AGraphicMaduck
Dec 25, 2013 AGraphicMaduck rated it really liked it
where he dodges batman says if batman punches him again he won't move and batman will break his hand and the in volume 1 taking on the elementals and threatening to destroy earth...interesting take on superman imo
Blake
Mar 29, 2013 Blake rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, reviewed, 2013
Really, really poor. Most of Superman's speech is barely coherent. The plot is quasi-mystical most of the time with a ridiculous resolution that comes out of nowhere, and a super-important new character who.... spoiler.... won't be continuing to further series.
Helmut
Jul 10, 2013 Helmut rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Superbatman 2
Meine Rezension, die ich für Band 1 geschrieben hatte (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...), gilt auch für Band 2 - nur ein Stern schlechter, denn das Elend zieht sich durch diesen zweiten Band halt noch länger hin als nötig.
Andy
Jul 15, 2008 Andy rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics
I'm probably not capable of giving any comic book prominently featuring Wonder Woman more than one star. I've hated Wonder Woman ever since Super Friends, in which her stupid invisible plane was improbable even for that show.
Lissette
Aug 04, 2011 Lissette rated it liked it
Artistry was great, and it was a decent story. I still prefer Marvel to DC though. Marvel has a great way of storytelling and truly invest you in the character's emotions that DC has yet to master.
Michael
Oct 18, 2008 Michael rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
A really great narrative, very fitting with Supe's need to fix all of humanity's issues, but this just doesn't gel like it should. Jim Lee is a god, but this is just mediocre.
Tomas
Jul 14, 2016 Tomas rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
There is only one small drawback of this book. Villain look. Monsters look a bit weird. But otherwise solid story amazing artwork. I'm glad this book is in my library :)
J. Pierre Gardner
Jun 20, 2011 J. Pierre Gardner rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I love superman, he's one of my favorite superheroes, but this book. killed him. it could have been better.
mirna
Jun 19, 2008 mirna rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
jim lee said.. "it wasn't going to be easy.."
and he say it twice!!!
then i'm not too naive after all ;)
Jon
Jan 14, 2011 Jon rated it it was amazing
I can't remember ever reading a Superman book that made me like him more than Batman....
Adam
Jul 05, 2012 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A continuation and finale to a great story of Superman. His true character is tested.
Mark
Dec 11, 2008 Mark rated it it was ok
Wraps up (weakly) this clever but not particularly engaging storyline...
Matthew Smith
Aug 16, 2007 Matthew Smith rated it it was ok
Hated this book, but beautiful art by Jim Lee.
  • Superman: Godfall
  • Bumf Vol. 1: I Buggered The Kaiser
  • Countdown to Final Crisis, Vol. 2
  • Justice League of America, Vol. 1: The Tornado's Path
  • Batman: War Games, Act 2: Tides
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B
More about Brian Azzarello...

Superman: For Tomorrow (2 books)
  • Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1