Start by marking “Superman: Red Son” as Want to Read:
Superman: Red Son

Superman: Red Son (Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II #7)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  32,677 Ratings  ·  1,217 Reviews
Strange visitor from another world who can change the course of mighty rivers, bend steel in his bare hands ... and who, as the champion of the common worker, fights a never-ending battle for Stalin, Socialism, and the international expansion of the Warsaw Pact.

In this Elseworlds tale, a familiar rocketship crash-lands on Earth carrying an infant who will one day become th
Published May 5th 2004 by DC Comics (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

David W. A lot of Russian and Eastern European people are Christians as well, only their most popular church is Orthodox Eastern instead of Roman Catholic or…moreA lot of Russian and Eastern European people are Christians as well, only their most popular church is Orthodox Eastern instead of Roman Catholic or Protestant. The Soviet regime might have frowned upon religion as being "bogus", but afaik it wasn't outright outlawed. (less)
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanThe Complete Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi
Best Graphic Novels
37th out of 2,235 books — 5,175 voters
Superman by Mark MillarAll-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant MorrisonKingdom Come by Mark WaidAll-Star Superman, Vol. 2 by Grant MorrisonSuperman by Alan Moore
Best of Superman
1st out of 179 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff
Jun 12, 2015 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comix
Nature or Nurture?

Is Superman’s moral code hot-wired in his DNA or did being raised by the do-right Kents help establish his role as the world’s ultimate Boy Scout?

What better way to examine this question than for Mark Millar to have Superman’s rocket ship land in a collective farm in Soviet Russia rather than in the American heartland.

When Superman’s powers are realized by the Soviet government, Stalin elevates him to become champion of the common worker and a handy tool in the Cold War agains
Patrick
Sep 12, 2014 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Honestly? The best Superhero comic I've read in years. I might say "The best Superhero comic I've ever read" if not for The Dark Knight and Watchmen.

Very clever. Tightly written. Different enough to be interesting, but still true to the original source mythology of Superman.

Highly recommended. Even if you don't really give a damn about superheroes.
Jan
Coulda Been a Contender...

What if Superman had crash-landed and grown up in the Soviet Union rather than in the United States? What if he was… oh my god, dare I spell it out… a “commie”?! What would he be like? Would we still cheer him on? How would the Cold War have turned out? The premise behind Superman: Red Son is as obvious as it is intriguing: in the tradition of Watchmen, it allows – theoretically, at least – for an investigation of the genre’s underlying ideological and political assumpt
Brandon
Aug 13, 2013 Brandon rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, fiction, 2013, dc
Could you imagine if Superman landed in Canada instead of the United States? What if Joe Shuster tried to persuade Jerry Siegel that Clark Kent should grow up on a farm in Alberta or the snowy terrain of northern Manitoba? Or God help us, Newfoundland? What kind of a hero would he be then? Far too polite to get physical.

“It’s a bird! It’s a plane! Nah, that’s just Superman, eh.”

Fortunately for us, the readers, Mark Millar gives us a more interesting scenario. What if Superman landed in Ukraine a
Anne
Aug 24, 2013 Anne rated it liked it
It's a bird...it's a plane...It's Commie Superman!

It was alright, but I'm not as in love with Red Son as everyone else seems to be. Intellectually, this is a good Superman What If story.
*sigh*
But it bored me.
Sorry, but I had a hard time not putting this down.
I can't give it less than 3 stars, because it really is an ingenious take on Superman. I can't give it more, because I had to put it on the back of my toilet to ensure I would finish it.

Recommended for Superman fans looking for a What If co
Lono
Mar 09, 2015 Lono rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

description

Mark Millar’s got the alternate reality/universe/elseworlds thing down. Between Superman: Red Son, Ultimate X-Men, and Old Man Logan, he has penned some bomb-ass shit. He’s got some haters out there. He certainly isn’t the most sensitive dude. But boy can he write some fun stuff. Anybody that can get me to sit through a Superman book has some talent. Sorry, not a lot of love for the boy in blue.

description

Well in Red Son he’s actually the boy in grey. In this twist of fate story, Kal El crashes in Russia i
Sam Quixote
Oct 25, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
What if Superman had landed in Soviet Russia instead of Smallville, Kansas? DC's "Elseworlds" series imagines an alternate take on the Superman story with "Comrade Superman" becoming ruler of Soviet Russia, slowly taking over the world while an independent America led by Lex Luthor fights against an increasingly unhinged and totalitarian-minded Man of Steel.

Mark Millar has written no less than a masterpiece with "Superman: Red Son". We see the character of Superman evolve from an idealistic youn
Brad
What a fantastic idea. A counter-fantastical take on Superman, where the once Clark Kent comes to Earth in a communal farm in the Ukraine, USSR rather than the Kent farm outside Smallville, USA. Twelve hours difference in Superman's arrival is twelve hours that make all the difference.

Soviet Superman works for Stalin instead of Eisenhower, and the Cold War takes a very different turn. The Warsaw Pact comes to dominate the Earth. Nixon is assassinated, Kennedy becomes a debauched old fool, Lex Lu
Wendy
May 13, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Chris
Jan 05, 2009 Chris rated it it was amazing
Every culture has its icons. Characters or figures that are recognizable by anybody who lives there, figures that are almost impossible not to know. And America is very good at producing those icons and spreading them worldwide. I remember reading somewhere - I don't remember where at the moment - that the United States' chief export is dreams, and I think there's definitely something to that.

Of all the dreams to emerge from the American subconscious over the last century, Superman is one of the
Stephen
Feb 03, 2016 Stephen rated it really liked it
description

What if Kal-El's starship landed in Soviet territory instead of Kansas? And Superman is being brought up with communist ideals?

This is still somewhat the Superman we know. A good man with amazing powers trying to make the world a better place. But this time he's on USSR side. And there are a lot of people who are trying to take him down in own country and later people from the west. And i think you can already guess who that individual is he is gonna fight in the west.

Some of the heroes Superman
Roxanne
Feb 13, 2016 Roxanne rated it it was amazing
This is part of my 'i gotta read more superman shit' plan and all it did was make me love batman more how does that happen, like leave Bruce i'm working on this highly scientific plan. I put off reading this for ages because i study history and the last thing i wanna do is read more history, especially altered fictional accounts of history but i needn't of worried. Russian history is my jam so i think i was expecting something different, maybe more political but it doesn't, it's mainly just supe ...more
Sesana
Jan 16, 2015 Sesana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: superhumans, comics
One of the best entries in the now defunct Elseworlds line. I miss seeing creators take imaginative risks with characters, but very few have paid off as completely as Millar's Red Son. It's a pretty simple, almost natural concept: what if, instead of landing in Kansas and becoming the prototype All American hero, Kal-El's little ship had landed in the USSR and he had become the prototype All Soviet hero?

Millar clearly put an incredible amount of thought into his new reality. I can't recall a si
Megan
Aug 12, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Red Son is an elseworlds story positing what might have happened if the pod carrying the infant Superman would have crash landed on a farm in the Soviet Union under Stalin's rule. It's a pretty awesome idea for an elseworlds story, but I thought it could have been much better than it was. I suppose I can cut some slack for the fact that it was only three issues long.

The idea behind the overarching plot, though it comes at it from an entirely different setup, is that superheroes have the ability
J.G. Keely
Nov 29, 2007 J.G. Keely rated it it was ok
The fact that I only became an aficionado of comic books in college while receiving a degree in literary analysis gives me a slightly different take on the medium. For example: my understanding of Superman and Batman come mostly from reading the odder, subversive versions of them (Frank Miller's 'Dark Knight Returns', Loeb's 'Hush', Moore's 'Killing Joke') as well as allusive explorations of what the characters could have been (Astro City, Watchmen, Powers, Invincible, Enigma).

Though I do have c
Donovan
Dec 07, 2015 Donovan rated it really liked it

I go into every Superman comic like this. "Oh Jesus," I tell myself. "Here we go again." [Shot.] Well, everyone, this is not one of those reads. It's more like this.

I'm not gonna waste your time with summary--Superman is a Russian Commie, that's the premise--so I'll just give you some thoughts. This was written really fucking well. Incidentally my first Mark Millar, so there's that. There was a point midway that Millar made a Dr. Manhattan of Watchmen connection to Superman, which entirely chang
Eric
Jun 26, 2014 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of "what if" comics
Recommended to Eric by: Zach Connelly
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a good example of the difference between graphic novels and comic books. While, yes, this does feature Superman and Lex Luthor, this is as stark a departure you can get from Superman's Action Comics roots. It basically inverts everything you know about Superman by asking one simple question -- What if Superman's ship crashed in Soviet Russia instead of Kansas?

Well exactly what happens I won't spoil, but it starts with Superman as Stalin's champion of Socialism, Louis Lane married to Lex
Aaron
Jul 30, 2011 Aaron rated it it was ok
The idea of reimagining Superman as a Soviet hero instead of an American one could've led to so many great political, moral, and societal questions, but instead Millar goes out of his way to write Superman as the exact same boring, perfect character we've seen for 70 years. We see all the same villains acting pretty much exactly how they always act. He isn't raised by the Kents in Kansas. He's raised in the Ukraine by some farmers we never meet, and yet still has the exact same moral compass as ...more
Nicolo Yu
Jan 04, 2016 Nicolo Yu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collected-comics
Mark Millar reinvents Superman into a Soviet superhero in this Elseworlds story appropriately named, "Red Son".

What if the craft carrying Kal-El landed in Soviet heartland instead of Kansas? Millar writes a compelling and ultimately re-readable story of Superman ended up behind the Iron Curtain. It definitely changed how superheroes emerged for once and a Russian Batman emerges with a different reason for existing. This went one for two-thirds of the story, until Millar revealed his trump card.
Gavin
Nov 20, 2014 Gavin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
OK, so I recalled reading this, but I think I got it confused with Last Son of Krypton...because there's no WAY I wouldn't have gushed about how awesome this book is.

Superman: Red So(u)n (You'll get it.) is, quite possibly, Mark Millar's finest work.

This book is so full of little teasers and links to the original DCU that it's like a Where's Waldo game to find them all...I only read once, and I saw a few that were AWESOME.

I could literally gush about this non-stop. It was one of those few books
Hayden
Jul 25, 2011 Hayden rated it it was amazing
Twelve hours was all it took. Twelve hours, and the ship containing Kal-El (aka young Superman) didn't crash in Smallville Kansas, wasn't raised by Jonathan and Martha Kent, never went on to become the mighty symbol of American superiority. Twelve hours and Superman lands in the USSR, Communist-controlled Russia, and becomes the apprentice of Joseph Stalin; a young, indestructible Demigod hellbent on spreading Communism worldwide.

I don't know why I bought this. I hate Superman as a character (I
JB
Nov 20, 2014 JB rated it really liked it
Great take on the Superman story. This book tells the story of what would/could have happend if Superman's ship had landed in the Soviet Union.

I didn't like Superman as a person in this. As to be expected, growing up in the Soviet Union made him into another man entirely. He becomes a dictator, but for all the right reasons. At least that's what he thinks.

I like how they came up with the alternate stories of Batman and Green Lantern. Everything fell into place. In the end the Brainiac revelatio
Jonathan
Jun 28, 2012 Jonathan rated it really liked it
This was a unique re-imagining of Superman that was entertaining and thought provoking at the same time. Can you imagine what would happen if the all-American Superman were to end up crashing in the Ukraine instead of Kansas? Well neither could I. Fortunately Mark Millar's imagination was up to the task.

Millar spins a tale that re-envisions all the classic elements of Superman lore. For instance Lex Luthor becomes married to Louis, Diana (aka Wonder Woman) still lives on Themiscyra (she becomes
Miriam
Sep 02, 2010 Miriam rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic, superheroic
What if the ship carrying infant Kal-l had crashed in Russia instead of America, and Superman had grown up to become a Soviet superhero, subduing the world for communism?

Great idea, although I would have liked a slightly longer book with more time to get in depth characterization and explore more history.
Jesse A
Sep 08, 2015 Jesse A rated it it was amazing
My favorite Superman book so far. Brilliant!!!
Jbainnz
Jul 22, 2015 Jbainnz rated it it was amazing
It's been a while since I've been able to review a book due to being poor as hell lately, but finally I got my hands on this gem.

It was bloody fantastic!

I don't mind Superman at all, in fact I've grown quite fond of him in the past year. But I've never read a solo book that has really put him up there with some of my favourites. I know there are many books that are noted as Superman masterpieces, but I've never had the urge to seek them out, until now.

This is a great else-worlds story about Su
Dale
Jan 14, 2012 Dale rated it it was amazing
Very, very, very good

Published by D.C. Comics in 2004
160 pages

First things first.

I am not a gigantic comics fan. I've never been to a comic book shop. I know the big names. Basically, if they had a live action TV show, I know them.

So, my opinion is not as well-informed as that of some.

But, I know what I like and I thought this was some grade-A, high test sci-fi with a good deal of political science thrown in.

Superman has always been of limited interest to me. He can't be hurt (technically, I kno
Anton
Aug 19, 2014 Anton rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
One of the best graphic novels I've ever read, and I put this one up there with "Watchmen" as one of the best. "Red Son" is a great piece of alternate history, where Superman lands on Earth 12 hours earlier, in Russia, and eventually grows up and becomes Stalin's right hand man.

Eventually, Superman stops following orders and does what he does best...the right thing--even though his actions seem to conflict with his own government. Superman winds up being next in line to succeed Stalin, but polit
Joe
Jun 25, 2013 Joe rated it it was amazing
I just watched "Man of Steel" and it made me worry. Had Superman always been this lame? Did I remember the comic being cooler just because I was younger and didn't know any better? Well, thankfully the answer is no and no.

One of my favorite comic book series as a kid was "What if?" There were usually one off issues that would make one major change to a character and see how it played out. What if Wolverine became a vampire? What if Spiderman joined the Fantastic Four? What if Captain America had
Crystal Carroll
Aug 12, 2012 Crystal Carroll rated it it was amazing
The premise is simple. What if Superman’s ship had landed in the 1930ish Ukraine rather than 1930s Kansas? What if this American symbol wasn’t? Exchange the S for a hammer and sickle. Further, make him really, truly, passionately believe in communism. Have him go from his collective farm to serve some Stalinist Russian five year plan. And the more he tries, the more the super acts to save, transform, create, the more he undermines everything that he wants to give the world.

This book works its wa
Madison Mega-Mara...: Book #57: Superman: Red Son by Mark Millar 1 4 Jun 01, 2013 01:48PM
  • Superman: Secret Identity
  • Superman: Brainiac
  • Superman for All Seasons
  • Superman: Birthright
  • All-Star Superman, Vol. 2
  • Green Arrow, Vol. 1: Quiver
  • DC: The New Frontier, Vol. 2
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Superman: Earth One, Vol. 2
  • Identity Crisis
  • Lex Luthor: Man of Steel
  • Justice, Volume 1
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 1: Raise Them Bones
  • Gotham Central, Book Two: Jokers and Madmen
Mark Millar is the New York Times best-selling writer of Wanted, the Kick-Ass series, The Secret Service, Jupiter’s Legacy, Jupiter’s Circle, Nemesis, Superior, Super Crooks, American Jesus, MPH, Starlight, and Chrononauts. Wanted, Kick-Ass, Kick-Ass 2, and The Secret Service (as Kingsman: The Secret Service) have been adapted into feature films, and Nemesis, Superior, Starlight, War Heroes, Jupit ...more
More about Mark Millar...

Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II (10 books)
  • Superman: The Man of Steel, Vol. 1
  • Batman & Robin, Vol 1, Batman Reborn
  • Novos Titãs: Choque de Titãs (Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II, #3)
  • Universo DC: Justiça 1 (Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II, #4)
  • Universo DC: Justiça 2 (Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II, #5)
  • Liga da Justiça e Sociedade da Justiça: Virtude e Vício (Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II, #6)
  • Tales of the Batman: Tim Sale
  • Gavião: Aliados e Inimigos (Super-Heróis DC Comics Série II, #9)
  • Superman/Batman, Vol. 3: Absolute Power

“I offered them Utopia, but they fought for the right to live in Hell.” 70 likes
“Batman: a force of chaos in my world of perfect order. The dark side of the Soviet dream. Rumored to be a thousand murdered dissidents, they said he was a ghost. A walking dead man. A symbol of rebellion that would never fade as long as the system survived.

Anarchy in black.”