Start by marking “World Without a Superman” as Want to Read:
World Without a Superman

World Without a Superman (The Death and Return of Superman #2)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  2,127 ratings  ·  36 reviews
This collection of the enormously successful "Funeral for a Friend" storyline recounts the aftermath of the death of the Man of Steel and his startling reemergence from beyond the grave. This volume guest-stars the Justice League, Supergirl, and others, and serves as the middle section of the saga that begins in THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN and concludes in THE RETURN OF SUPERMAN ...more
Published April 14th 1993 by DC Comics (first published March 1993)

To ask other readers questions about World Without a Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Without a Superman

Superman by Mark MillarAll-Star Superman, Vol. 1 by Grant MorrisonAll-Star Superman, Vol. 2 by Grant MorrisonSuperman by Alan MooreKingdom Come by Mark Waid
Best of Superman
16th out of 158 books — 128 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreThe Complete Maus by Art SpiegelmanV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanBatman by Frank Miller
Required Reading Graphic Novels
285th out of 754 books — 1,200 voters

More lists with this book...

Alejandro
How hard is living in a world when you have lost someone

THE EMPTINESS OF LOSING SOMEONE

Everybody has lost someone at some point in their lives. And when that someone was really close to their hearts, the void left behind in this realm is a heavy burden to carry on. And even worse if it happened when you thought that it would be just another day.

Superman is dead. The Earth's Greatest Hero fell while defending Metropolis and its people from the raging stampede provoked by the monster known as Do
John Yelverton
As much as I disliked the subject matter, this is one of the greatest Superman books ever written.
Kurt
This comic collection is far better than I expected. Essentially, it's nine issues that were written to try to let Superman's body cool down a little before DC started the story of bringing him back. I picked up this book with a fair amount of frustration that DC would decide to kill off their most iconic character and then not even have the decency to let him stay dead, so I planned to loathe this set of throwaway stories, but they actually turned out to be.. well, not quite all the way to "goo ...more
The_Mad_Swede
Collecting The Adventures of Superman #498–500, Action Comics #685–686, Superman: The Man of Steel #20–21 and Superman #76–77 as well as stories 1 and 4 from Superman: The Legacy of Superman #1, this volume picks up where The Death of Superman left off.

Now, in my review of that preceding volume, I expressed a certain disappointment about the content – in particular the fact that the whole thing is just a long drawn-out fight without any proper narrative depth to it. World Without a Superman, wh
Jake
It was interesting to see how the people of the world (mostly Metropolis) would adjust to Superman not being around anymore. But it got really repetitive really fast. Most of the book was somebody saying something along the lines of "Geez, it sure sucks that Superman's gone now. And Clark Kent is missing, too. Miss Lane must be devastated." That gets a little old. And then there are parts that seem unnecessary, like the scene with the Prankster in prison. That didn't do anything for the story at ...more
J.C.
Jun 06, 2013 J.C. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Superman fans
Shelves: comic-book
Abby
Immediately following The Death of Superman, World Without a Superman illustrates how the D.C. universe reacts to Superman's death. There is some excellent storytelling within these pages, and some excellent emotional resonance. Many of the chapters ended with poignant and memorable moments of grief for the loss of one of the greatest heroes ever written. Many readers have complained that it is corny and contrived, but I can forgive these faults. For me, it was good enough to make me care enough ...more
Bludhaven
This was the tradepaperback that follows the "The Death of Superman". After the death of the Man of Steel Metropolis, the world and his fellow superheros, his family, friends and even his enemies have to deal with the hole that has been left by his death. It's not exactly one story, but a collection of different stories that underline the impact the death of superman had on people's lifes.

It's a bit slow and cluttered at times, but it's also a bridge between "The Death of Superman" and "The Ret
Bob Foster
Mainly centered around Project Cadmus' attempts to dissect Superman's body. There is an additional sideplot where the surviving Justice Leaguers attempt to cover Superman's boyscout errands, like watering the Sahara and reuniting estranged families. Plus we get to see Lex Luthor kill a woman for no particular good reason. Primarily a placeholder until Return of Superman.
Peter
Dec 05, 2008 Peter rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Actively painful and embarrassing to read. This is why comics in the late 1970s and early 1980s sucked. What's scary is that this lame piece of garbage was written in 1993. Was I ever juvenile enough not to cringe at page after page of "plain, everyday Americans" proclaiming (in what I can only imagine is the authors' idea of workingman's patois) that "Sooperman was a real Amurrikin"? Lame, boring, bad. Reminded me of a bad Latin American soap opera. I'd call it "World Without An Excuse". Feel f ...more
Bosco Burns
Actually had a plot unlike Death of superman
It was like Diana or Mandela dyin in real life but even bigger
Lucas Krusen
could've been so much better. it seems to give up half way.
Isaiah Macleod
Very sad in my mind, superman is a good hero
Mar 26, 2011 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jennifer by: Pete, Jay
I loved The Death of Superman and The Return of Superman and thought this was a good in-between book. It's not as good as the other two but I did enjoy reading about the reactions of friends, family and enemies after the death of Superman.
Amanda
Starts out sad, the middle is weird and then it almost ends tragically. Certain issues were good but overall as weird as it sounds, I prefer The Death of Superman.
Bob
This is the most disappointing "best-selling" graphic novel series I've ever read! Where do I start? Okay...what happened to Doomsday...and for that matter...who the hell is (was) Doomsday? Who are these Newsboys and why are they even included being such awful, mood-breaking characters? Why didn't crime skyrocket when Superman left? I'm guessing they didn't really need him that badly after all.

Ugh...I'm so angry at the wasted opportunity here...
Michael Holland
Following the events of "The Death of Superman" the DC Universe stops to mourn the loss of one of its greatest heroes. Could anyone have done more to save the Man of Steel? For those who wield god-like powers should they even consider changing what happened? Do they have the right? What will Superman's legacy be? These are just a few of the questions addressed in this well written work.
Jake
There's a lot of cheese in this, with characters narrating their own actions aloud, but it was another era, and it's actually kind of fun. The whole thing is very '90s, but, man, it is honest and genuine. That's a weird critique, but with comic books, there's often a point to prove yourself, and this one's main focus was a loyal dedication to the character of Superman.
Gohomelefty
Long, lame, drawn-out spin-off exploiting the death of our beloved superhero. Blasphemy!

photo superman-jesus-christ-worth1000.jpg

Stephanie
Jan 20, 2013 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone that read Death of Superman
Recommended to Stephanie by: Clint
This picked up where Death of Superman left off, and had quite a bit more going on plot-wise. Being the middle of the story, I'm naturally left with lots of questions. Mainly involving the relationship between Scottish ape-man Lex Luther and Supergirl. Will look to Return of Superman to finish the story arc, then maybe I'll read some Batman.
Tyler
This is a nice follow up to the epic Death of Superman. There's a really trippy sequence with Jonathan, which does a good job of looking at his relationship with Clark. However, there's quite a lot going on in this volume, causing it to be more than a little chaotic and jarring at times.

The end is totally worth it though.
Amanda
less Epic due to the gay ending. And in both of these(death and world without)Supergirl is super ANNOYING. She's such a doormat. And Lex looks funny all red-haired and mountain man-y. I'm not sure what look they were going for or why he would look like that and say "love" at the end of every other sentence.
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supermanistas completistas
Recommended to Federiken by: Emoción del momento.
Me gustó bastante menos que La Muerte de Superman pero como todavía venía con envión, me entretuvo bastante. Supongo que si en algún momento lo releo le sabré criticar varias cosas que en su momento no vi o no me gustaron. Por ahora me quedo con el recuerdo que es bastante grato.
Dovile
Better than The Death of Superman, but needed some trimming to be even better. I'm disappointed at how little Batman was featured, after all he and Superman were not just casual friends.
The art is good though, didn't look dated, at least much.
Magic Mike
So what happens in a world without Superman? Nothing of interest. Wacky hijinks ensue with people stealing Superman's body and then losing it. It sounds better than it is. Awful continuation of the awful "story" set in motion by Death of Superman.
Jono
Really good, carries on the story from 'The Death Of Superman' well and gives the reader an insight into life without the man of steel. Great artwork and, although it does get a little weird near the end, well worth a read.
Stan
Eh ... interesting story at times but mostly feels kind of a tacked-on piece to stretch out the sales from "Death of a Superman." Just kind fast forward to the "Reign of the Supermen" already!
Jamie Sigal
A great middle-section to the Death and Return of Superman storyline, and also an interesting examination of what the superhero world would be like without its Man of Steel.
Mark
Jun 09, 2013 Mark marked it as to-read
Adventures of Superman #498-500
Action Comics #685-6
Superman Man of Steel #20-1
Superman Vol 2 #76-7
The Legacy of Superman #1
1993
"Funeral for a Friend" story arc
Charles
Well this one was ok. Not as poignant as The Death of Superman TPB, but still interesting nonetheless. Waiting to see what The Return of Superman will bring!
  • Superman: Peace on Earth
  • The DC Comics Encyclopedia
  • Justice League of America, Vol. 2: The Lightning Saga
  • JLA: Year One
  • Superman: For Tomorrow, Vol. 1
Dan Jurgens is an American comic book writer and artist. He is best known for creating the superhero Booster Gold, and for his lengthy runs on the Superman titles Adventures of Superman and Superman (vol. 2), particularly during The Death of Superman storyline. Other series he has been associated with include The Sensational Spider-Man (Vol. 1), Thor (vol. 2), Captain America (vol. 3), Justice Lea ...more
More about Dan Jurgens...
The Death of Superman The Return of Superman Justice League International, Vol. 1: The Signal Masters Green Arrow, Vol. 1: The Midas Touch Thor: En busca de los Dioses (Colección Extra Superhéroes, #1)