The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On

The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  144 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Hot on the heels of the wildly successful The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have comes The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On, Dennis DiClaudio's hilarious look at fifty disturbingly familiar maladies you just know are buried deep in your psyche. This inspired new collection profiles the most ner...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 1st 2007)

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullersHeart of Darkness and the Congo Diary by Joseph ConradGut Symmetries by Jeanette WintersonThe Heart of the Matter by Graham GreeneZombie Haiku by Ryan Mecum
Body Organs
7th out of 116 books — 11 voters
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferI'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally CarterThe Princess Bride by William GoldmanAlexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst
Books with Really Long Titles
174th out of 536 books — 171 voters

More lists with this book...

Linnea McGowan
Nov 17, 2007 Linnea McGowan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: freaks like me
Aww... it was like a trip down memory lane! I was a psych major back in the day and my abnormal prof (abnormal psych, not the prof herself... though she was a trip...) did a fine job teaching me about disorders of all kinds! I must admit that I literally knew or remembered every single disorder in the book... I don't really know what that says about me other than abnormal was my favorite class! Sadly, my favorite personality disorders were NOT included. :( I wept a little.

Oh, and the snark/sarc...more
Lyndsay-ann Stewart
This is a great book. Talks about some of the more well known mental disorders, but mainly some lesser known ones.

The disorders are categorized into the different types of disorder (psychotic, sexual, etc). Then each is explained through Diagnosis, Causality, and Treatment. The best part though, is the Inner Monologue, which gives a first hand point of view of somebody suffering from the disorder.

The writting is easy and fun to read, with a slight hint of comedy. I've read this book a few times,...more
Charity
It's possible to know too much on this subject. I'm not sure I really wanted to know all the disorders that are out there, which is a first for me since usually I'm morbidly fascinated by that sort of thing. I mostly skimmed this book since it was hard to read and it's not as fun as the title makes it out. I actually found it slightly depressing to read about all the problems that are out there. Plus I was a little disturbed by the artwork.
Laura Valensi
Es un libro MUY interesante y ameno. Si te aburres y no sabes qué hacer, este es el libro es una buena elección y además se lee bastante rápido. De hecho, creo que es perfecto para intercalar con una lectura pesada.

Podéis leer la reseña completa aquí: http://thisiswheremythoughtsrest.blog...
Peta
May 26, 2012 Peta rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humour
This book was so funny that while I was reading it I could literally not put it down. I certainly would not suggest reading it on public transport! I actually ended up reading most of the entries out to a willing, (demanding, really) audience.
I was humming along reading this book, chuckling myself to death, when I realized that I actually once had a rather mild form one of the disorders mentioned.

I realize this will come as a shock to almost none of the people who know me.
Izabela
I picked up this book a few years ago, when I was a psychology major in college. Whenever I'm feeling down (or nutty!) I just read a passage from here. Great little guide to pick you up and make you just a tad craz(ier)!
Tiffany Hall
Hilarious! The scary part is that all the diseases are real. With every disease I would catch myself thinking "I think I have that." I love an author that can make some awful diseases appear comical.
Dennis
Jan 04, 2008 Dennis rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who enjoy sex, have sex, had sex, or were born of people who ever had sex.
In reviewing this book, I can think of no better means than to loosely paraphrase a passage of "The Confessions of St. Augustine": Holy shit! That was super bitchin'!
Carey Henderson
Hilarious! Hard to believe these disorders are real. Reading this guide will make you feel like you have every disorder.
Kozmo Kliegl
A short book on how weird humans can be trapped by inner demons of the mind. Will be seeking out others in this series
Kate
A fun little read. What a great way to brush up on mental maladies when you're fighting insomnia?
Jade
informative and hilarious. what more could you want
Emma
A nice little compendium of mental disorders!
Zoë Bodzas
Quick read, fascinating disorders.
Karina
Karina marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Niki
Niki marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Niki
Niki added it
Jul 04, 2014
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Kelly Long
Kelly Long marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Cansu
Cansu added it
Jun 27, 2014
Kat
Kat marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Amanda Gronemeyer
Amanda Gronemeyer marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Joodith
Joodith marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Jay
Jay marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • A Mood Apart: The Thinker's Guide to Emotion and Its Disorders
  • Suburban Safari: A Year on the Lawn
  • Mop Men: Inside the World of Crime Scene Cleaners
  • How About Never--Is Never Good for You?: My Life in Cartoons
  • Out of Eden: An Odyssey of Ecological Invasion
The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have The Deviant's Pocket Guide to the Outlandish Sexual Desires Barely Contained in Your Subconscious Man vs. Weather: Be Your Own Weatherman BULLFIGHT Volume One