Start by marking “The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On” as Want to Read:
The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On

The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On

Hot on the heels of the wildly successful The Hypochondriac's Pocket Guide to Horrible Diseases You Probably Already Have comes The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On, Dennis DiClaudio's hilarious look at fifty disturbingly familiar maladies you just know are buried deep in your psyche. This inspired new collection profiles the most ner ...more
Published January 23rd 2007 by Bloomsbury USA (first published January 1st 2007)

Be the first to ask a question about The Paranoid's Pocket Guide to Mental Disorders You Can Just Feel Coming On

Linnea McGowan
Nov 17, 2007 Linnea McGowan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: freaks like me
Aww... it was like a trip down memory lane! I was a psych major back in the day and my abnormal prof (abnormal psych, not the prof herself... though she was a trip...) did a fine job teaching me about disorders of all kinds! I must admit that I literally knew or remembered every single disorder in the book... I don't really know what that says about me other than abnormal was my favorite class! Sadly, my favorite personality disorders were NOT included. :( I wept a little.

Oh, and the snark/sarc
Serena.. Sery-ously?
Aug 21, 2014 Serena.. Sery-ously? rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, eng_2014
Questa guida tascabile (il formato è adorabile *_*) ha fugato un grande dubbio: mentre sono irremediabilmente ipocondriaca (con annessa sindrome da "Controlla i tuoi sintomi su Google e scopri che stai per morire"), non sono così paranoica.. Insomma, tra tutte queste malattie mentali, credo di averne riscontrata giusto una o due :DD
Le mie preferite, che userò in caso dovessi sedurre qualcuno sono la "Fregoli Syndrome (l'idea che qualcuno che conosci sia costantemente vicino a te -travestito da p
Lyndsay-ann Stewart
Oct 25, 2014 Lyndsay-ann Stewart rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
This is a great book. Talks about some of the more well known mental disorders, but mainly some lesser known ones.

The disorders are categorized into the different types of disorder (psychotic, sexual, etc). Then each is explained through Diagnosis, Causality, and Treatment. The best part though, is the Inner Monologue, which gives a first hand point of view of somebody suffering from the disorder.

The writting is easy and fun to read, with a slight hint of comedy. I've read this book a few times,
Charity
Oct 20, 2010 Charity rated it liked it
It's possible to know too much on this subject. I'm not sure I really wanted to know all the disorders that are out there, which is a first for me since usually I'm morbidly fascinated by that sort of thing. I mostly skimmed this book since it was hard to read and it's not as fun as the title makes it out. I actually found it slightly depressing to read about all the problems that are out there. Plus I was a little disturbed by the artwork.
Oct 10, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A book that is entertaining as hell for those that need a good laugh if they have an insane amount of stress going on in their life. Like me! ;) I enjoyed the book and annoyed my husband by asking him if he had any of the ones in the back, but I will behave and not post them because that would be naughty. LOL. Great book.
Laura Valensi
Aug 13, 2016 Laura Valensi rated it liked it
Es un libro MUY interesante y ameno. Si te aburres y no sabes qué hacer, este es el libro es una buena elección y además se lee bastante rápido. De hecho, creo que es perfecto para intercalar con una lectura pesada.

Podéis leer la reseña completa aquí: http://thisiswheremythoughtsrest.blog...
Ann Keller
Apr 17, 2015 Ann Keller rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference, sociology
I chuckled my way through this little book. Although it has many bases in fact, I found some of the manias and phobias incredible. Quite a few were couched in thoughts and fears from the past, too. The illustrations also offered period direction, as well. If you're seeking that perfect book for someone who has everything, this little gem offers a humorous alternative.
Suzanne
Feb 23, 2015 Suzanne rated it it was amazing
What began as an amusing gift book ended as a truly fascinating primer on the numerous mental afflictions that befall our society. Warning! It will have you rethinking your own thoughts and actions, as well as analyzing those of others.
Izabela
May 10, 2015 Izabela rated it it was amazing
I picked up this book a few years ago, when I was a psychology major in college. Whenever I'm feeling down (or nutty!) I just read a passage from here. Great little guide to pick you up and make you just a tad craz(ier)!
Peta
May 26, 2012 Peta rated it really liked it
Shelves: humour
This book was so funny that while I was reading it I could literally not put it down. I certainly would not suggest reading it on public transport! I actually ended up reading most of the entries out to a willing, (demanding, really) audience.
Jan 02, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
I was humming along reading this book, chuckling myself to death, when I realized that I actually once had a rather mild form one of the disorders mentioned.

I realize this will come as a shock to almost none of the people who know me.
Dennis
Jan 04, 2008 Dennis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people who enjoy sex, have sex, had sex, or were born of people who ever had sex.
In reviewing this book, I can think of no better means than to loosely paraphrase a passage of "The Confessions of St. Augustine": Holy shit! That was super bitchin'!
Carey Henderson
Dec 22, 2008 Carey Henderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Hilarious! Hard to believe these disorders are real. Reading this guide will make you feel like you have every disorder.
Natalie
Aug 06, 2014 Natalie rated it it was amazing
This was awesome. I already knew about quite a few of these disorders, and have a couple, but the comedian's take on them was just too funny!
Kozmo Kliegl
Oct 21, 2010 Kozmo Kliegl rated it liked it
A short book on how weird humans can be trapped by inner demons of the mind. Will be seeking out others in this series
ELIZABETH-ANNE
Jun 07, 2016 ELIZABETH-ANNE rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-books
LOL funny - enjoyed every moment of it. Especially for those who have a diagnosis or just the ability to laugh at yourself.
A+++
Tiffany
Apr 12, 2011 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! The scary part is that all the diseases are real. With every disease I would catch myself thinking "I think I have that." I love an author that can make some awful diseases appear comical.
Zeynep Bener
Zeynep Bener rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2013
Mariah
Mariah rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2009
Harun Sokullu
Harun Sokullu rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Sam Sirotnikov
Sam Sirotnikov rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2013
Jessica Hopkins
Jessica Hopkins rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Stacey Costas
Stacey Costas rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2011
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Savercantsave
Savercantsave rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Yağmur Köksal
Yağmur Köksal rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2015
Oliver Rösch
Oliver Rösch rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2013
Angela Falanga
Angela Falanga rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2012
Tülin Şentürk
Tülin Şentürk rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • The Complete Manual of Things That Might Kill You: A Guide to Self-Diagnosis for Hypochondriacs
  • Why Choose This Book?: How We Make Decisions
  • Wider Than the Sky: The Phenomenal Gift of Consciousness
  • The Quest for Consciousness: A Neurobiological Approach
  • The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age
  • The Cloud Collector's Handbook
  • The Future of the Past
  • Guilty by Reason of Insanity: A Psychiatrist Explores the Minds of Killers
  • The Writer's Guide to Psychology: How to Write Accurately about Psychological Disorders, Clinical Treatment and Human Behavior
  • Many Worlds in One: The Search for Other Universes