Trügerischer Blick.

Trügerischer Blick.

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  347 ratings  ·  32 reviews
For Faith Cromwell, trompe l'oeil artist, it is the commission of a lifetime: painting the famed ballroom of an opulent Long Island estate. But her new patron has a macabre fixation on a daughter brutally murdered in the house a decade earlierone so intense that it jeopardizes Faith's own sense of mind. And as she pieces together the details of the grisly crime scene that...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Goldmann (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Trügerischer Blick., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trügerischer Blick.

Eva
Faith Crowell, a Trompe I'oeil artist, is commissioned to paint a ballroom by legendary New York society matron, Francis Griffin. Mrs. Griffin is a woman who makes Martha Stewart appear dowdy and easy-going. When her mansion was completed, she complained to the architect that the fireplace was slightly off-center and made him measure the wall to prove it. Then she made him tear down the huge mansion to center the fireplace.

Faith is slightly unnerved by this tale, but her dear friend urges her to...more
Maria
A decent plot with believable characters, but a bad start. Felt like the author forced all the setup info she wanted you to have in the first chapter or two. I almost didn't continue reading, but I paid for the book, so I decided it would be worth the time to see if it got any better. I will say that it was pretty easy to guess a good portion of what the big "secret" was supposed to be. But at least it was a quick read, and I enjoyed the contemplation brought on by the main character's vocation.
Deb
Aug 11, 2009 Deb rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Deb by: QOE
Shelves: authors-to-read
Man, this book was amazing! One of those perfect reads: technically flawless writing; rich details from a writer who clearly knows Europe - esp France, and the art world; a great story, well told - never a dull moment; and an ending that you didn't see coming. Wow. Highly recommended.
Victoria Shepherd
This beautifully written book masterfully ties in a mystery, loneliness, friendship, art, revenge and love. A wonderful read.
Lindsay green
Daydemon
Michelle
bookczuk
Odd little book, primarily about loneliness, disguised as a book about a trompe l'oeil artist and a society matron courting her to paint a ballroom at the matron's elegant (and famous) country home. There were a number of predictable plot twists, a few unexpected ones (including a kicker that is revealed in the last half page of the book), but the last portion of the book (the reveal, so to speak) felt forced/contrived to me, and with more than a touch of creepiness. While it was supposed to cle...more
LJ
TRICK OF THE EYE - NR
Hitchcock, Jane - standalone

Wealthy New York society matron and patron of the arts Frances Griffin commissions Faith Crowell, a 39-year-old trompe l'oeil artist, to paint the interior of her ballroom, built 20 years earlier for the debutante cotillion of her now-deceased daughter, Cassandra. During this assignment, Faith learns that Cassandra's murder remains unsolved, and Mrs. Griffin seems to know more about it than she is telling. Intrigued with the mystery and possible c...more
Chelsea B.
Wow! This thriller will keep you reading until the very end!
Nora
Sad predictable and utterly forgettable.
Mayine
I have half the book to go... it's going fast and I want to slow it down - I LOVE IT. Beautifully written, full of rich imagery, filled with suspense, moves quickly without giving up on intricate, colorful descriptions and character studies. In fact the characters are very life like... You get to know them. I love how this author writes. I want to give it 5-stars right now!
Amanda
This book was ok. It was kinda drawn out even tho it was pretty short. The main character gets hired to do some artwork for an extremely rich old lady. While at the house she tries to uncover who the murderer of the old lady's daughter is. She becomes consumed with this murder and goes to get lengths to figure it out.
Tara
It is not like I hated the story, the story was okay and had a few good twists. Overall, I did not think that it lived up to being a suspense novel. It was a murder mystery, but it was not a very complex storyline. Overall I skipped to the end after chapter 12 and called it a day.
Asha
For a debut novel, it was a good one. Had no expectations from it, therefore was pleasantly surprised with the way the story unfolded and reached a climax. The suspense is well maintained and the writer uses her knowledge of art world to her advantage.

A good read.
Jenny
What a great book - until the end where it completely let me down. The ex-boyfriend didn't need to be in the book at all and I was ready for a bigger "trick of the eye." I much preferred "The Thirteenth Tale" for surprises and well-written plot.
Nancy Zorn
I won't bother to rehash the plot...there are plenty of reviews that do a fine job in that arena. For me, the book itself was a trompe l'oeil. It pulled me in and the ending twist totally took me by surprise. Didn't see it coming. Blew my mind.
Natalie
This was an OK read.

There were a couple of passages with really beautiful writing and imagery, but overall the book was strained and dry.

I don't regret reading it, but I doubt I will read anything else by the author.
Rebecca
I loved Social Crimes by this same author, so I thought I would try another by her. This was not so good. It was quite weak. The writing style and mystery part of the novel were just not as strong as her ater works.
Sharonm
A trompe l’oile artist is the main character in this mystery. The writing was mediocre and the story formulaic. Some interesting foibles and houses were described, though. Book on CD.
Michelle
A solid read. The writing flows, the characters are fleshed out but the ending twisted in a way I didn't care for. It seemed a little too contrived.
Karey
I love stories with twists and turns, and this one definitely delivered! Even better...the twist I was expecting did not happen. Great book.
Samee
Very well-written prose and an original plot. Has lots of twists and turns. A really fun read.
Jayci
horribly stupid book! Wanted to burn it after I was done. The ending was so FRUSTRATING!
Amber
Wow! This is a true psychological suspense tale. Couldn't put this one down.
Michele
Creepy book but I like how it is about a female full time artist ;)
Donna
Art, loneliness, murder and a totally unexpected ending.
Rachel
Good holiday reading. Enjoyed it.
Marie
Totally caught off guard by the ending.
Pia Keskitalo
Pitkäveteinen... (suom. Silmänlumetta)
  • The Vanished Child
  • Before the Fact
  • Den dubbla tystnaden (Anders Knutas, #7)
  • The Bride's Kimono
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Winter in June (Rosie Winter, #3)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Q's Legacy
  • The Deadly Percheron
  • Strange Bird
  • Traitor's Purse (Albert Campion Mystery #11)
  • The Suspect
  • The Immaculate Deception (Jonathan Argyll, #7)
  • The House of Closed Doors
  • Breakheart Hill
  • Beast In View
  • Mr. White's Confession
  • The Reckoning
New York Times bestselling author and native New Yorker Jane Stanton Hitchcock started her career as a playwright and screenwriter. Her plays include Grace; Bhutan; The Custom of the Country, an adaptation of Edith Wharton's great novel which was first produced at The Mount (Mrs. Wharton's house in Lenox, Massachusetts), then moved to off-Broadway in New York City; and Vanilla, a modern restoratio...more
More about Jane Stanton Hitchcock...
Social Crimes (Jo Slater #1) One Dangerous Lady (Jo Slater #2) Mortal Friends The Witches' Hammer The Custom of the Country: Based on Edith Wharton's 1913 Novel