Start by marking “Trügerischer Blick.” as Want to Read:
Trügerischer Blick.

Trügerischer Blick.

For Faith Cromwell, trompe l'oeil artist, it is the commission of a lifetime: painting the famed ballroom of an opulent Long Island estate. But her new patron has a macabre fixation on a daughter brutally murdered in the house a decade earlierone so intense that it jeopardizes Faith's own sense of mind. And as she pieces together the details of the grisly crime scene that ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Goldmann (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Trügerischer Blick., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trügerischer Blick.

Jayci Reeder
Apr 25, 2008 Jayci Reeder rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
horribly stupid book! Wanted to burn it after I was done. The ending was so FRUSTRATING!
LJ
TRICK OF THE EYE - NR
Hitchcock, Jane - standalone

Wealthy New York society matron and patron of the arts Frances Griffin commissions Faith Crowell, a 39-year-old trompe l'oeil artist, to paint the interior of her ballroom, built 20 years earlier for the debutante cotillion of her now-deceased daughter, Cassandra. During this assignment, Faith learns that Cassandra's murder remains unsolved, and Mrs. Griffin seems to know more about it than she is telling. Intrigued with the mystery and possible c
Eva
Jul 12, 2010 Eva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Faith Crowell, a Trompe I'oeil artist, is commissioned to paint a ballroom by legendary New York society matron, Francis Griffin. Mrs. Griffin is a woman who makes Martha Stewart appear dowdy and easy-going. When her mansion was completed, she complained to the architect that the fireplace was slightly off-center and made him measure the wall to prove it. Then she made him tear down the huge mansion to center the fireplace.

Faith is slightly unnerved by this tale, but her dear friend urges her to
Maria
Aug 10, 2011 Maria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A decent plot with believable characters, but a bad start. Felt like the author forced all the setup info she wanted you to have in the first chapter or two. I almost didn't continue reading, but I paid for the book, so I decided it would be worth the time to see if it got any better. I will say that it was pretty easy to guess a good portion of what the big "secret" was supposed to be. But at least it was a quick read, and I enjoyed the contemplation brought on by the main character's vocation.
Deb
Aug 04, 2009 Deb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Deb by: QOE
Shelves: authors-to-read
Man, this book was amazing! One of those perfect reads: technically flawless writing; rich details from a writer who clearly knows Europe - esp France, and the art world; a great story, well told - never a dull moment; and an ending that you didn't see coming. Wow. Highly recommended.
Christine US
Nov 15, 2010 Christine US rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful, just awful.
Victoria Shepherd
Nov 24, 2012 Victoria Shepherd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This beautifully written book masterfully ties in a mystery, loneliness, friendship, art, revenge and love. A wonderful read.
Sherry Schwabacher
Bland and predictable. Strangely for a book concerned with antiques and trompe l'oeil, there was a feeling of inauthenticity throughout. It seemed to float in no real time or place and the big reveals - all of them!- would have been guessed early on by anyone who had ever seen a Lifetime movie.
Pat Steinkuehler
Unfamiliar with an author most others know so I started my journey of her works with this one. Hmmmm......
Alana
Michelle
Apr 07, 2008 Michelle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Amy
Odd little book, primarily about loneliness, disguised as a book about a trompe l'oeil artist and a society matron courting her to paint a ballroom at the matron's elegant (and famous) country home. There were a number of predictable plot twists, a few unexpected ones (including a kicker that is revealed in the last half page of the book), but the last portion of the book (the reveal, so to speak) felt forced/contrived to me, and with more than a touch of creepiness. While it was supposed to cle ...more
SouthWestZippy
Jan 16, 2016 SouthWestZippy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Faith Crowell is not just any kind of painter she is a faux finishes painter. She lands a dream job working for Mrs. Griffin the Widow of Holt Griffin. "Holt Griffin was the scion of an old, rich New York family who, unlike most of his kind, had gone on to distinguish himself on his own, in a long diplomatic career." After Faith starts to work for Mrs. Griffin she find out a Murder happen in the very house she was working in.

I enjoyed three fourths of the book. The writing is wonderful and the
Plum McCauley
Oct 19, 2014 Plum McCauley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This was a superb novel, a truly exciting exploration of a twisted mind. Hitchcock has a wonderfully refined sensibility and that is reflected in both her subject matter, her narrator, and her writing style. Readers of Hitchcock's finely crafted novels will discover that it is the journey that matters--that keeps them rooted to their armchairs--not the destination. And yet, the final chapters of "Trick of the Eye" contain several unpredictable jolts. I will be depressed when I get to the end of ...more
Elaine Crockett
Dec 05, 2015 Elaine Crockett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly thought this book was terrific. The writing was good but more importantly, for me, the plot actually surprised me! That's not easy to do! Also, a month later and I still remember the story - also not typical for me. Most plots just seem to "run together" with all the rest like them, but this is really is an interesting read and I think well worth the time.
Paula Schumm
Aug 30, 2016 Paula Schumm rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook from the library. A very wealthy elderly woman is used to getting what she wants. The woman contacts a 39-year-old female artist to paint a ballroom. The story unfolds, and it gets stranger at every turn. Art, murder, and money all are parts of this suspenseful novel. Recommended.
Mayine
Jul 26, 2013 Mayine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have half the book to go... it's going fast and I want to slow it down - I LOVE IT. Beautifully written, full of rich imagery, filled with suspense, moves quickly without giving up on intricate, colorful descriptions and character studies. In fact the characters are very life like... You get to know them. I love how this author writes. I want to give it 5-stars right now!
Amanda
May 05, 2009 Amanda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This book was ok. It was kinda drawn out even tho it was pretty short. The main character gets hired to do some artwork for an extremely rich old lady. While at the house she tries to uncover who the murderer of the old lady's daughter is. She becomes consumed with this murder and goes to get lengths to figure it out.
Amanda Pfeil
Jun 15, 2013 Amanda Pfeil rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not get into this book at all. I didn't care about any of the characters and the 'mystery' didn't entice me in the slightest. I found myself skipping pages til the end just to get it over with. I thought the last page was so incredibly cheesy I couldn't help but laugh out loud.
Nancy Zorn
Dec 28, 2012 Nancy Zorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I won't bother to rehash the plot...there are plenty of reviews that do a fine job in that arena. For me, the book itself was a trompe l'oeil. It pulled me in and the ending twist totally took me by surprise. Didn't see it coming. Blew my mind.
Jessica
Apr 03, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was very surprising. I read the first couple paragraphs and immediately thought I was going to hate it. Then I found myself just completely unable to put it down. I read it in 3 sittings. I thought it was a very solid debut and really enjoyed it in the end.
Jenny
Aug 19, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great book - until the end where it completely let me down. The ex-boyfriend didn't need to be in the book at all and I was ready for a bigger "trick of the eye." I much preferred "The Thirteenth Tale" for surprises and well-written plot.
Natalie
Jul 01, 2007 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
This was an OK read.

There were a couple of passages with really beautiful writing and imagery, but overall the book was strained and dry.

I don't regret reading it, but I doubt I will read anything else by the author.
Asha KRISHNA
For a debut novel, it was a good one. Had no expectations from it, therefore was pleasantly surprised with the way the story unfolded and reached a climax. The suspense is well maintained and the writer uses her knowledge of art world to her advantage.

A good read.
Rebecca
Mar 02, 2010 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I loved Social Crimes by this same author, so I thought I would try another by her. This was not so good. It was quite weak. The writing style and mystery part of the novel were just not as strong as her ater works.
Tara
It is not like I hated the story, the story was okay and had a few good twists. Overall, I did not think that it lived up to being a suspense novel. It was a murder mystery, but it was not a very complex storyline. Overall I skipped to the end after chapter 12 and called it a day.
Sharon Mensing
A trompe l’oile artist is the main character in this mystery. The writing was mediocre and the story formulaic. Some interesting foibles and houses were described, though. Book on CD.
Cindi Moss
Nov 16, 2015 Cindi Moss rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
disappointing
Goodreads Librari...: Add book cover: Illusions D'optique 2 13 May 17, 2017 01:57AM
  • Shimura Trouble
  • Alla de stillsamma döda (Maria Wern #2)
  • The Mocking Program (Angel Cardenas, #2)
  • When Winter Returns (Rosie Winter, #4)
  • The Vanished Child
  • Violet Clay
  • A Case of Two Cities (Inspector Chen Cao #4)
  • The Bishop in the Old Neighborhood (Blackie Ryan, #12)
  • Q's Legacy: A Delightful Account of a Lifelong Love Affair with Books
  • The Immaculate Deception (Jonathan Argyll, #7)
New York Times bestselling author and native New Yorker Jane Stanton Hitchcock started her career as a playwright and screenwriter. Her plays include Grace; Bhutan; The Custom of the Country, an adaptation of Edith Wharton's great novel which was first produced at The Mount (Mrs. Wharton's house in Lenox, Massachusetts), then moved to off-Broadway in New York City; and Vanilla, a modern restoratio ...more
More about Jane Stanton Hitchcock...