Blank-133x176
Let There Be Blood

Jane Jakeman

Let There Be Blood

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  69 ratings  ·  8 reviews
First in the Lord Ambrose Historical mystery series featuring a war hero who has returned to the English countryside. From the author of In the Kingdom of Mists.
Hardcover
Published September 7th 2004 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Let There Be Blood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let There Be Blood

Ana T.
I love historical mysteries and I’m constantly on the lookout for new authors to read. Last year this series by Jane Jakeman was brought to my attention and I’m really happy that I decided to read it.

Written in the first person this is the story of Lord Malfine, a man who has fought in the wars of the Greek independence against the Turks only to return home full of scars and any lack of desire of socializing with his neighbors. He is the son of an English gentleman and a Greek lady who died whe...more
Christa
Let There Be Blood was an intriguing mystery that takes place in England in 1830. I enjoyed the story, but I felt that the book did not let the reader know enough about the main character, Lord Ambrose Malfine for him to be a truly sympathetic character. A brief history of his background unfolds in the book, but I never felt that the author fleshed his character out enough for the reader to feel a real connection to him.

Lord Ambrose Malfine has come home to England to recover from wounds that he...more
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in May 1998.

Jane Jakeman's first novel is a Regency period detective story, with a hero (Lord Ambrose) clearly based on Byron. Lord Ambrose has returned to England following the Greek war of independence (in which Byron also fought), sickened by the sights of war. He takes up a hermit-like existence, which is only interrupted when, in the absence of the local squire, he is called to the scene of a local murder.

He immediately makes himself unpopular by stoppin...more
Childminerva
A good book. Very intriguing and, I must admit, a little sexy at times.
Leslie
it was fine. entertaining enough, but i saw the ending coming a mile away.
Susan E
Interesting premise/hero. I've got the next book in the series.
Lou
Excellent writing and character development for a mystery
Leslie
Kind of slow-moving and gothic mystery.
Majda Gama
Majda Gama marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Shirley Anstey
Shirley Anstey marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2013
Carol
Carol added it
Aug 16, 2013
Calli
Calli marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Egyptian Coffin (A Lord Ambrose Historical Mystery) In the Kingdom of Mists Fool's Gold (A Lord Ambrose Historical Mystery) In The City of Dark Waters A Bracelet of Bright Hair