Start by marking “The Dragon and the Foreign Devils: China and the World, 1100 BC to the Present” as Want to Read:
The Dragon and the Foreign Devils: China and the World, 1100 BC to the Present

The Dragon and the Foreign Devils: China and the World, 1100 BC to the Present

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  82 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Gelber provides a sweeping narrative history that tells the story of China's relations with the rest of the world over three millennia. Informative text boxes elaborate on particular people, topics or key moments to complement the main narrative.
Published April 1st 2007 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon and the Foreign Devils, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon and the Foreign Devils

Sueij
Sep 30, 2009 Sueij rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book a three because I think that for the right person/situation, the book is probably excellent (probably 4 or 5 stars). For myself at this time, though, I didn't like it (by GoodReads' system, only 1 star). Here's why:

This is an incredibly well-written textbook covering the history of China, with special attention to its relationship to those outside its borders, for the past 3000 years. The style is straightforward, clear, and easily followed. The content is thorough.

If I was stu
Yasmin
Mar 12, 2013 Yasmin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book is more like a two and a half stars or three but that doesn't mean I actually liked it. In my opinion unfortately there was not more chapters given to Chinese history before Europeans began to trade there. I also skipped the private personally details of Mao as that information is not any of my business nor anyone else's, I don't believe the more intimate details of indivduals are anyone's business. In my view to mention the private intimate life of Mao is very poor writing and inexusab ...more
Aubrey
Jul 17, 2014 Aubrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A complete, but somewhat dry, analysis of China's complete history of international relations. A must for anyone studying the Middle Kingdom and it's politics, people, or personality.
Maria
Aug 07, 2011 Maria added it
It took me a long time to get into this. It is not very well written (definitely needs better editing) & the first half, basically until the end of the Qing Dynasty, was not particularly engaging. I enjoyed the rest of the book until the last chapter, which was again not particularly insightful. That being said the subject of the book is interesting and it's difficult to condense the history of China into something manageable like this. Left me wanting to read more (but not from this book).
Ms CL
Sep 29, 2013 Ms CL rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book and provides a thorough history of China and sound insights into China's relationships with world powers and its neighbours. I gave it 3 stars because, for anyone with basic knowledge of Chinese history, over half of the book is regurgitation of what we already know. It is in the second half that the book becomes interesting as the author starts analyzing what the state of Chinese society, economy, political leaning and overall position in the world means or could mean...
sherdnerdess
Aug 21, 2014 sherdnerdess rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in east asian history
A very detailed overview of the complex history of this vast country. There wasn't enough about the earliest times for my liking, but then I am a prehistorian by training. I found the WWII section very hard to get through (thus 3 stars, not 4) as I'm not particularly interested in modern history, but I'm glad I slogged it out. I now understand Japan's role in the war far better.
Mel
Aug 08, 2011 Mel rated it it was ok
A disappointment. Gelber needs a good editor - picking on grammar mistakes makes me sound like a retired English teacher, but when you have to re-read sentences because they simply don't make any sense, it's beyond nit-picking. Also, Gelber's egregious factual errors outside his speciality area (Protestant Jansenists?) stick out like the proverbial.
Richard
Apr 18, 2012 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To the Chinese, there are two types of Barbarians, "raw and cooked." I did not want my first visit to the "Middle Kingdom" finding me a "raw" Barbarian. This is a good primer on history and to a lesser extent culture. Gelber is a lucid and well-studied author who has taught at Harvard, Boston University and the London School of Economics.
Elizabeth
Jbondandrews
I would have given this book a higher rating however I did not approve of how the author decided to talk unnessarily about Mao's sex life. I found this totally irrelavant to the overall book and I was very disappointed by it.
Mike
Apr 05, 2013 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I stopped on page 45. OK history primer but I am not interested in a history of China. Interestingly China dates from about 200BC. For some reason, I though China was older than Egypt (6000BC).
Missie Kay
Aug 24, 2011 Missie Kay rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult, history
I couldn't finish this--the writing wasn't as terrible as some reviewers said, but it did move through history incredibly quickly, and didn't live up to the title's stated focus.
Ooi Lok
May 23, 2016 Ooi Lok rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Was this book published without proper editing? So many of grammar and spelling mistakes littered in pages.
Alexander Hills
Pretty good overview of Chinese history.
Connie Cai
Connie Cai is currently reading it
Aug 18, 2016
Pranay Kotasthane
Pranay Kotasthane is currently reading it
Jul 16, 2016
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Renata
Renata marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Will
Will rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Oisín
Oisín marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Kaz Emery
Kaz Emery rated it did not like it
May 04, 2016
Bookant
Bookant marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Anthony
Anthony rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2016
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Farhan
Farhan added it
Mar 30, 2016
Inês
Inês marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2016
Andre
Andre marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Robert Johnson
Robert Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016