Start by marking “Paul Bunyon, with Book” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Paul Bunyon, with Book
Steven Kellogg

Paul Bunyon, with Book (A Tall Tale)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  2,253 ratings  ·  96 reviews
This is the story of how lumberjack Paul Bunyan, "the largest, smartest, and strongest baby ever born in the state of Maine," and his giant blue ox, Babe, crossed the U.S. creating cities, lakes, rivers and canyons.
Audio Cassette
Published by William Morrow & Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Bunyon, with Book, please sign up.

Julia Brumfield
Steven Kellogg has always been a wonderful author to read whether he is covering just a regular children story or one of the many tall tales of this country. What helps to make his work so endearing is his whimsical artwork that mixes the silly with the interesting.

Within this tall tale relating to Paul Bunyan and the big blue ox Babe readers are introduced to one of the world's greatest lumberjacks that United States knew of. Bits of the story I had heard before in the legend of this mighty m
Jolene Aho
“Paul Bunyan” by Steven Kellogg is a tall tale about the folk hero Paul Bunyan. The illustrations in the book are very detailed and humorous. The story tells about how Paul was born in Maine, but the family ends up moving west, because young Paul’s strength and enthusiasm for logging are causing problems in town. Paul saves an ox from a blizzard and names him Babe. The story chronicles Paul and Babe’s adventures as they travel across the United States with a logging crew. Some of the incredible ...more
Nicole Gustafson
This tall tale was written and illustrated by Steven Kellogg. This story centers around the main character, Paul Bunyan. The setting begins in Maine, the same place where this strong, smart and large baby was born. With his tremendous strength and size, Paul’s parents decided to move to a place more suited to his needs. A place where his destruction would not crush houses, or flood villages; they decided to move to the country where there would be endless terrain and forest friends to keep Paul ...more
Ronit Delrahim
“Paul Bunyan”, by Steven Kellogg is folktale story that has been passed down from generation to generation. Paul Bunyan is about a child who doesn’t look like a child and is very strong and looked like a giant. When he was a child, he liked being involved in the family business of chopping down wood. His parents decide to move to the backwoods because big Paul would cause too much trouble in the town. Paul loved the woods and became friends with all the animals and even adopted a blue ox. When P ...more
Sarah Schwartz
Genre: Folklore
Age Group: Nursery - Primary

Summary: It was evident when he was born that Paul Bunyan was not a normal baby; he was a giant. After showing an interest in his family logging business, Paul decided to travel across America, helping to clear trees and develop the American landscape. He has many wild adventures during his journey, but together with his ox Bebe, he eventually makes it to the shores of California.

Evaluation: I gave this book three stars because it was a solid exa
Paul Bunyan. Sheesh, where do I even START?

Well, let's start in the past. Paul Bunyan was a traditional story in folklore, right? Um... maybe not.

Actually, way way waaaaay back in the past, people in jobs such as lumberjacking DID tell these sorts of tall tales. But they weren't coalesced around Paul Bunyan yet. Instead, they told these tales about themselves or about "you know, those anonymous lumberjacks we don't know" or "a friend of a friend". And those of you complaining that this book of B
Mary Hohman
Paul Bunyan is a tall tale retold and illustrated by Steven Kellogg. The book is intended for primary ages. This folklore is a classic tall tale of an over-sized baby growing into a giant lumberjack with an over-sized pet ox named Babe. Throughout the story you are told exaggerated adventures that Paul and Babe encounter with a humorous twist. I rated this book a four because I like the metaphors used and the descriptive language in the retelling of the story. The pictures are nice and explain t ...more
Janna Gifford
Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg is a folklore book that is geared towards the Primary age group. This book is about Paul Bunyan, who was the strongest and biggest baby, growing up and changing the world around us based on his strength and being a giant. I gave this book four stars because it is a fantastic tall tale to read to the children and they will never get tired of hearing the book. It is also a great practice book for young children to start to learn the concepts of print as well as readin ...more
Paul Bunyan

1- Genre: Traditional

2- Is a tall tale of a boy that is born abnormally big and continues to grow to great heights. His large size gets him into some large predicaments such as rocking his cradle causing large waves that flood the town, wrestling grizzly bears, and creating the Grand Canyon by dragging his ax.

3- (a) Illustration Style
(b) The illustrator uses a representational style for his illustrations. Throughout the book the illustrator does an excellent job depicting people, an
Tall Tales: The Story of Paul Bunyan is the story about a boy growing up into a man with his trusty blue ox. This story is is a tall tale about how Paul grows up being discriminated against because of his big size. He overcomes this by moving around and clearing away forest space for farmers. I enjoy this book because it shows how a boy overcomes discrimination and succeeds well at what he does best, cut trees. I would recommend this book to everyone of all ages its a classic.
Ann Ferber
I chose this book in honor of Paul Bunyan (land) being shut down in Brainerd, MN. This is a classic story of a funny giant living large. From his giant flapjacks that he eats in the morning to the "natural wonders" he created like the Grand Canyon... this book will fascinate both young and old readers alike. The pictures are fabulous and silly as well. It could be used in a unit about folk tales or make believe. Young and old would love this book. I know I do!
Steven Kellogg does a great job retelling this tall tale with active and humorous illustrations of giant flapjacks blasted high above the clouds, a rumpus with ogres and a celebration of all the holidays missed during a blizzard that lasted several years. Excellent vocabulary and sentence structure for readers aged 8-11, with pictures packed with details that you'll want to examine over and over.
I loved the story of Paul Banyan while growing up, mainly because my dad was a log truck driver! I felt that this book was wonderfully written, and gave a nice background story on how Paul and Babe came to be together. I think also that the artwork showed off what the writer was portraying wonderfully, and that this was an intriguing tale that I would read again!
Lynn Plourde
This tall tale is classic Steven Kellogg with packed-in fun details. At times, the art seems too busy and the story somewhat choppy--listing exaggeration after exaggeration without much to tie the details together. But still, Paul Bunyan is a favorite tall-tale hero and this book has survived 30 years--I remember sharing it with my kids when they were little.
Yes, I put this in American history. It's a story that every child needs to know. And besides tall tales are just plain fun.

We enjoyed this book a lot, but my kids kept saying "that's not real", "that didn't happen". They couldn't keep quiet. They did laugh and think it was totally silly though.

I liked the illustrations although they are quite busy. Using more muted colors helped though to not give a headache. The kids looked through it several times after reading it.

I overheard one of the boys
Genre: Tall tale, Historical fiction
Grade level: 2-5

I love the way that Steven Kellogg can capture so many details of a story through both his words and illustrations. I love authors that have a sense of humor and you can tell that he does. This story, like his other American tall tales ( Pecos Bill, Sally Ann Thunder Ann Crockett, Mike Fink) are written for a slightly older audience. My struggling readers in grades 1-3 enjoy the pictures and get the gist of the story, but I've found that these
Sep 11, 2015 Cathy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cathy by: Battle of the Books 2015-16
Who was the largest baby ever born in the state of Maine? Who dug the Great Lakes? Who gouged out the Grand Canyon? Why, Paul Bunyan, of course, America's finest, fastest, funniest lumberman and favorite tall-tale hero.

I enjoyed Kellogg's illustrations probably more than the story.
Shannon Janik
"Paul Bunyan" by Steven Kellogg is a children's book about a boy that was born unusually large. Once the boy grew older he took off on an adventure with his ox and some other lumbermen and a blacksmith and a few cooks. This story is about how Paul Bunyan was the one who created our nation's great landmarks. He dug rivers and even made the Grand Canyon. I think this is a good book for children to read because it talks about actual places that they may not necessarily know a whole lot about. I did ...more
A humorous retelling of the tall tale about Paul Bunyan written and illustrated by Steven Kellogg. Be sure to look closely at the expressions on the faces of the animals and the people; Steven Kellogg has a unique talent for the very humorous illustrations of his books.
Ashley Lewis
This book was a great read! The pictures were fascinating and told the story just as much as the words. Not only was I reading a great story, but I was learning about physical features of America as well. Some examples are The Appalachian Mountains, The Great Lakes, Great Plains, Rocky Mountains and so much more! It is a book that makes geography interesting by adding a fun little twist on how it all began to be.
Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg tracks the tall tale hero from his birth in Maine across the US to his wandering North to Alaska. This first picture book take on Paul and Babe the Blue Ox features the fast, funny, inventive lumberman. Based on tale tales of lumberman, Kellogg has taken many parts of the created Paul Bunyan tales, made up other parts, and woven them into a very funny story.

The colorful, very detailed illustrations add greatly to the story and extend the humor. I love the expression
Paul Hardin
To me, Steven Kellogg is one of the best children author's and illustrators of all time. His pictures are lifelike enough where children can relate to them but they still have that sense of cartoon so the child can use imagination while reading or hearing his books. This re-telling of Paul Bunyan is no different. Kellogg does a great job of mixing in the original tall-tale with some other crazy topics to make for a great children's story. Babe the big blue ox is depicted as his sidekick in this ...more
Kristen Hein
I would definitely use this in the classroom when talking about traditional literature and tall tales. The illustrations are fantastic, and I think that students will definitely enjoy the story line.
My favorite tall tale. This version by Steven Kellogg was a big hit with kindergarten, who loved the humor, hyperbole and detailed illustrations. A terrific folktale that every child should know.
Tonia Kruczek
This book is awesome because it can also be used to talk about different land formations in social studies. Also, if teaching in MN you can show pictures of the Paul and babe statue in Bemidji.
The illustrations are beautiful! I read this book to my son and he looked puzzled throughout the entire reading, finally asking me what the heck we had just read. He enjoyed it though.
Brooke Barnett
This book has great illustrations along with a great storyline. It has several different problems that Paul finds solutions to and he travels all throughout the United States.
I loved the pictures in this book. There was so many fun details to look at that just added to the story as you looked at it. I thought it was fun how they put a little bit of a modern twist to the pictures. I didn't really remember the tale of Paul Bunyan so it was fun to read this version.
Caroline Dougherty
I love the classic story of Paul Bunyan! The illustrations of this classic retold folklore were amazing and had me captivated the whole way through!
Mickey Reville
A folktale describing the many heroic tales and fortunes of Paul Bunyon. A great folktale to teach readers of the early American culture.
  • John Henry
  • How Much Is a Million?
  • Gregory the Terrible Eater
  • The Three Little Javelinas
  • Johnny Appleseed
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be an Aztec Sacrifice!: Gruesome Things You'd Rather Not Know
  • Anansi and the Talking Melon
  • The Talking Eggs
  • Koko's Kitten
  • Anansi the Spider: A Tale from the Ashanti
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .
More about Steven Kellogg...

A Tall Tale (6 books)
  • Sally Ann Thunder Ann Whirlwind Crockett: A Tall Tale
  • Pecos Bill: A Tall Tale
  • Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale
  • Mike Fink: A Tall Tale
  • I Was Born About 10,000 Years Ago
Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale Chicken Little Jack and the Beanstalk The Mysterious Tadpole Pecos Bill: A Tall Tale