Start by marking “Paul Bunyon, with Book” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Paul Bunyon, with Book

Steven Kellogg

Paul Bunyon, with Book (A Tall Tale)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,747 ratings  ·  81 reviews
This is the story of how lumberjack Paul Bunyan, "the largest, smartest, and strongest baby ever born in the state of Maine," and his giant blue ox, Babe, crossed the U.S. creating cities, lakes, rivers and canyons.
Audio Cassette
Published by William Morrow & Company (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Paul Bunyon, with Book, please sign up.

Paul what was the setting of the story

Ronit Delrahim
“Paul Bunyan”, by Steven Kellogg is folktale story that has been passed down from generation to generation. Paul Bunyan is about a child who doesn’t look like a child and is very strong and looked like a giant. When he was a child, he liked being involved in the family business of chopping down wood. His parents decide to move to the backwoods because big Paul would cause too much trouble in the town. Paul loved the woods and became friends with all the animals and even adopted a blue ox. When P...more
Sarah Schwartz
Genre: Folklore
Awards:
Age Group: Nursery - Primary

Summary: It was evident when he was born that Paul Bunyan was not a normal baby; he was a giant. After showing an interest in his family logging business, Paul decided to travel across America, helping to clear trees and develop the American landscape. He has many wild adventures during his journey, but together with his ox Bebe, he eventually makes it to the shores of California.

Evaluation: I gave this book three stars because it was a solid exa...more
Connie
Paul Bunyan. Sheesh, where do I even START?

Well, let's start in the past. Paul Bunyan was a traditional story in folklore, right? Um... maybe not.

Actually, way way waaaaay back in the past, people in jobs such as lumberjacking DID tell these sorts of tall tales. But they weren't coalesced around Paul Bunyan yet. Instead, they told these tales about themselves or about "you know, those anonymous lumberjacks we don't know" or "a friend of a friend". And those of you complaining that this book of B...more
Mary Hohman
Paul Bunyan is a tall tale retold and illustrated by Steven Kellogg. The book is intended for primary ages. This folklore is a classic tall tale of an over-sized baby growing into a giant lumberjack with an over-sized pet ox named Babe. Throughout the story you are told exaggerated adventures that Paul and Babe encounter with a humorous twist. I rated this book a four because I like the metaphors used and the descriptive language in the retelling of the story. The pictures are nice and explain t...more
Janna Gifford
Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg is a folklore book that is geared towards the Primary age group. This book is about Paul Bunyan, who was the strongest and biggest baby, growing up and changing the world around us based on his strength and being a giant. I gave this book four stars because it is a fantastic tall tale to read to the children and they will never get tired of hearing the book. It is also a great practice book for young children to start to learn the concepts of print as well as readin...more
Paul Bunyan

1- Genre: Traditional

2- Is a tall tale of a boy that is born abnormally big and continues to grow to great heights. His large size gets him into some large predicaments such as rocking his cradle causing large waves that flood the town, wrestling grizzly bears, and creating the Grand Canyon by dragging his ax.

3- (a) Illustration Style
(b) The illustrator uses a representational style for his illustrations. Throughout the book the illustrator does an excellent job depicting people, an...more
Bryan
Tall Tales: The Story of Paul Bunyan is the story about a boy growing up into a man with his trusty blue ox. This story is is a tall tale about how Paul grows up being discriminated against because of his big size. He overcomes this by moving around and clearing away forest space for farmers. I enjoy this book because it shows how a boy overcomes discrimination and succeeds well at what he does best, cut trees. I would recommend this book to everyone of all ages its a classic.
Karen
Steven Kellogg does a great job retelling this tall tale with active and humorous illustrations of giant flapjacks blasted high above the clouds, a rumpus with ogres and a celebration of all the holidays missed during a blizzard that lasted several years. Excellent vocabulary and sentence structure for readers aged 8-11, with pictures packed with details that you'll want to examine over and over.
Lynn Plourde
This tall tale is classic Steven Kellogg with packed-in fun details. At times, the art seems too busy and the story somewhat choppy--listing exaggeration after exaggeration without much to tie the details together. But still, Paul Bunyan is a favorite tall-tale hero and this book has survived 30 years--I remember sharing it with my kids when they were little.
Heather
Yes, I put this in American history. It's a story that every child needs to know. And besides tall tales are just plain fun.

We enjoyed this book a lot, but my kids kept saying "that's not real", "that didn't happen". They couldn't keep quiet. They did laugh and think it was totally silly though.

I liked the illustrations although they are quite busy. Using more muted colors helped though to not give a headache. The kids looked through it several times after reading it.

I overheard one of the boys...more
Megan
Genre: Tall tale, Historical fiction
Grade level: 2-5

I love the way that Steven Kellogg can capture so many details of a story through both his words and illustrations. I love authors that have a sense of humor and you can tell that he does. This story, like his other American tall tales ( Pecos Bill, Sally Ann Thunder Ann Crockett, Mike Fink) are written for a slightly older audience. My struggling readers in grades 1-3 enjoy the pictures and get the gist of the story, but I've found that these...more
Shannon Janik
"Paul Bunyan" by Steven Kellogg is a children's book about a boy that was born unusually large. Once the boy grew older he took off on an adventure with his ox and some other lumbermen and a blacksmith and a few cooks. This story is about how Paul Bunyan was the one who created our nation's great landmarks. He dug rivers and even made the Grand Canyon. I think this is a good book for children to read because it talks about actual places that they may not necessarily know a whole lot about. I did...more
Carole
A humorous retelling of the tall tale about Paul Bunyan written and illustrated by Steven Kellogg. Be sure to look closely at the expressions on the faces of the animals and the people; Steven Kellogg has a unique talent for the very humorous illustrations of his books.
Ashley Lewis
This book was a great read! The pictures were fascinating and told the story just as much as the words. Not only was I reading a great story, but I was learning about physical features of America as well. Some examples are The Appalachian Mountains, The Great Lakes, Great Plains, Rocky Mountains and so much more! It is a book that makes geography interesting by adding a fun little twist on how it all began to be.
David
Paul Bunyan by Steven Kellogg tracks the tall tale hero from his birth in Maine across the US to his wandering North to Alaska. This first picture book take on Paul and Babe the Blue Ox features the fast, funny, inventive lumberman. Based on tale tales of lumberman, Kellogg has taken many parts of the created Paul Bunyan tales, made up other parts, and woven them into a very funny story.

The colorful, very detailed illustrations add greatly to the story and extend the humor. I love the expression...more
Paul Hardin
To me, Steven Kellogg is one of the best children author's and illustrators of all time. His pictures are lifelike enough where children can relate to them but they still have that sense of cartoon so the child can use imagination while reading or hearing his books. This re-telling of Paul Bunyan is no different. Kellogg does a great job of mixing in the original tall-tale with some other crazy topics to make for a great children's story. Babe the big blue ox is depicted as his sidekick in this...more
Tonia Kruczek
This book is awesome because it can also be used to talk about different land formations in social studies. Also, if teaching in MN you can show pictures of the Paul and babe statue in Bemidji.
Sydney
I loved the pictures in this book. There was so many fun details to look at that just added to the story as you looked at it. I thought it was fun how they put a little bit of a modern twist to the pictures. I didn't really remember the tale of Paul Bunyan so it was fun to read this version.
Caroline Dougherty
I love the classic story of Paul Bunyan! The illustrations of this classic retold folklore were amazing and had me captivated the whole way through!
Amber M
Genre- Traditional Literature
Awards- Reading Rainbow book
Grade Level- K-2

I could use this story in my classroom to teach the children about tall tales. I will explain to the children that they will hear a story of Paul Bunyan, a very famous folkloric American character. This type of story is called a tall tale. I will tell them that a tall tale is a unusual story that has been retold over the years and exaggerated. After reading the book I will review with the children the parts of the story tha...more
Mary Bennett
Paul Bunyan is fun story for children. Paul was a very large child who was very strong. Pauls parents decided that it would be best to move into the wilderness. That was a great choice for the over sized child. He was able to chop all the wood that he wanted. This would be a fun story in a classroom. A teacher can read the story and then let children sketch out things that they would make with logs, just like the ones from the story. Then if the supplies were available, the teacher could let stu...more
Burton Wolfe
This is probably my favorite folk tale. I love the enormity of Paul and Babe the Blue Ox. The instance where he drags his axe and creates the Grand Canyon hits home with me growing up in Arizona. This is still a must read for my bedtime readings with my children. Definitely a timeless classic folk tale.

In a classroom setting I would probably have students maybe write their own part of the story from a person of normal height and tell us what they thought when he was chopping down trees with one...more
Emily Glomski
Classic story of Paul Bunyan told in a fun way with excellent illustrations.
Kris at Book Wishes
We are learning about American Folktales and this is a cute story of Paul Bunyan and his life. Nicely Illustrated good for children to understand the tall tale of Paul. Great resource for home-education. I read it to my children and they all loved it!
Sara
A cute story. Love Steven Kellogg's illustrations.
Daisy Johnson
This was a great book! i think this book is super fun and funny. it has great pictures and i could probaly analize them for hours. my only problem is that it jus has to much going on. there are four different explanations in one book! not only was paul bunyan the biggest baby who ever lived but he dug the great lakes, the grand canyon, and made the great plains. whoa! that could be alot for the seven year old's whos classroom i found this book in. it might be perfect if it was split into four di...more
Caitlin Barclay
Steven Kellogg has a knack for retelling stories to make them extra interesting for kids. His use of metaphors when explaining Paul Bunyan's speed "so quick on his feet he could blow out a candle" and " He raced with the deer and wrestled with the grizzlies" makes the story more alive. His use of metaphors and descriptive language in retelling this historical figure's life is a great example of a type of writing that students can use in their own writing lives.
Laurie Carroll
Oh, how fun to read Steven Kellogg again! We are working on a mythology, folktale, and fable unit right now in class and having read all of the Greek myth books we have in the library, I moved on to American folktales. Much to my delight, Kellogg's illustrations perfectly balance the light hearted text. There's much to experience when one reads any of his books. This is just one reason why kids love picking up Kellogg's books again and again.
Caroline Petty
This is an excellent way to introduce folktales as a story theme. It's colorful pictures and language makes it an entertaining read-aloud for a class. Although it is technically a mythical story, it delves into quite a bit of history also as it describes a typical lifestyle of a man who would have lived during the time period of Paul Bunyon. It is a very inspiring text that will bring about room for creativity in a child's school work.
Brandon Adams
Any book that features a giant man and his giant pet is a good book to me! Paul Bunyan is a classic tale that I remember reading in elementary school long ago. Even to this day, my reaction is, " Why is he so big?!" Steven Kellogg's use of metaphors and descriptive language greatly livens up the story to such an extent that the reader can't help but enjoy the story even more than normal, even if they have read it before. Very good read!!
  • John Henry
  • The Talking Eggs
  • Winter Days in the Big Woods
  • A Medieval Feast
  • The Tortoise and the Hare: An Aesop Fable
Steven Kellogg is an author and illustrator who has contributed over 90 books for children. He is best known for writing books about animals, for which he credits his grandmother .
More about Steven Kellogg...
Johnny Appleseed: A Tall Tale Chicken Little The Mysterious Tadpole Jack and the Beanstalk Pecos Bill: A Tall Tale