Blank-133x176
Puff

Bob Flaherty

Puff

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Meet John Gullivan, age thirteen, obsessed with the moles that dot most of his body. Meet his brother Gully, who can't stop laughing at them. Now meet the brothers ten years later, in the middle of the most ferocious blizzard anyone can remember. Set in an Irish working-class suburb of Boston in the 1960s and 1970s, Puff centers on a quest as the soon-to-be-orphaned brothe...more
Hardcover
Published February 1st 2005 by Turtleback Books

To ask other readers questions about Puff, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Puff

Mark
Puff takes place on the night of a severe blizzard in Boston during the 1970s. John and Gully Sullivan masquerade as Red Cross rescue personnel in order to maneuver around the city, trying to score a bag of weed before the night is through. Their misadventures, written by stand-up comic Bob Flaherty, are a riotous good time.
Patrick
The brothers, John and Gully aren't exactly bad guys. They’re just not the type of person that you can rely on when there is an emergency. Despite being in their early twenties, the Gullivan brothers demonstrated a remarkable amount of immaturity, lack of work ethics and a knack for always getting them into trouble. So when a massive snowstorm disabled the entire of Boston, John and Gully found themselves disguised as rescue volunteers from Red Cross. Their mission? To score a rare kind of pot f...more
Jenn Carr
Nov 29, 2013 Jenn Carr rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a funny bone and a sense of adventure!
Never have I read a more enjoyable book about two brothers on an adventure in a blizzard to score a bag of pot. Probably because this is the first book I've ever read about two brothers on an adventure in a blizzard to score a bag of pot, but whatever. This book is funny in an off-kilter kind of way, entire pages dedicated to discussing John Gullivan's moles and how his brother Gully can't stop laughing at them. It manages to be hilarious and heartfelt at the same time. I adored the Gullivan bro...more
Robert
One of the most enjoyable books I've read in a long time. The completely crazy and out there series of events the brothers manage to get themselves into is what makes the book seem so real. The outlandish adventures and hilarious dialogue reminds me of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, but without all the cynical, drug-induced seriousness. At 260 pages this book is definitely worth your time.
AJ LeBlanc
OK, the plot is simple: two brothers in the 1970s are going to get some weed, but there’s been a huge blizzard and they have to pretend they’re Red Cross workers so they can drive on the closed roads.

Only the book has nothing to do with that.

This isn’t going to be one of my all time favorites, but it was a fascinating peek into the lives of boys, brothers, lies, the Catholic Church, and what happens when you just want to get that phenomenal bag of weed.
Amanda
This book was charming. Instead of being some random, stupid marijuana induced adventure, it's a nice story about two deadbeat brothers dealing with life and death. These brothers start out on an impossible adventure through snow to score some weed and go through this hilarious adventure where they ditch priests in the snow and recount the memories of their childhood. It was nice.
kathryn
quick read. a bit far fetched but fun and quick. the jacket talks about his moles a lot but the main character doesn't obsess about them as much as the book jacket. the time frame was a little jumpy and i didn't quite get what year it was supposed to take place-early 80s? but draft concerns? and cpr and calling 911 was mainstream? really?

fun to read living in boston though.
Jeannette
I can't remember how this ended up on my library holds list, but I kinda wish it didn't get that far. Not that Puff is horrible, but it was kind of a slog to get through, not as funny as all the back-cover reviews claim it to be, and the story and characters seemed weak. I didn't laugh, it didn't give me goosebumps and I just didn't care.
Joy
Jun 14, 2008 Joy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: potheads who would do ANYTHING to score a bag
Made me laugh out loud to read what these two pothead brothers were willing to do to score a bag (while their mother is on her deathbed). I'm sure if my mama was about to die, I would NEED to be high, too...
Ben Montgomery
Humorous book. I probably would have given this four stars but some of the language was a bit much as times. I actually should of known better since the book was really about two stoner brothers.
Claire
Picked this up on a whim and thought it was hilarious. It's actually been a few years since I have read it, but I can still remember scenes in the storyline perfectly.
alex
Hysterical. Takes me back to being a bumbling student in my late teens. Laughed out loud. Need a little more time before I read it again. It'd be a great movie.
KC
For a book I paid 1.40 for at a used book warehouse, incredible. It reads a lot like a John Green novel. Very funny, smart, and heart-wrenching.
Dawn Williamson
AWFUL. The author tried way too hard to be funny therefore ruining what could have been a hilarious plot.
Kendal
This book was a fun, easy read and I enjoyed it.
It's perfect for a quick summer trip.
Lizz Matthews
seemed a juvenile. but entertaining enough!
Lindsay
Freakin' hi-larious!
Wallflower
Wallflower is currently reading it
Aug 12, 2014
Larayne
Larayne marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Danielle Calhoun
Danielle Calhoun marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

“Is it possible that that's all maturity is? Speaking better? Is it possible that everybody in the world, is just a dumb, stupid kid acting like a grown-up because they can sound like one and look like one? It almost seems easy.” 7 likes
“Noon. In the middle of Knoll Road. In it up to your waist, wearing your father’s old reindeer sweater, your mother’s fur-lined gloves. Squinting across an infinite ocean of white. Shivering. Breathing. Listening. To nothing. There are no cars, no mailboxes, no traffic islands, no sound. The triple-deckers are now double-deckers and everything’s muffled and buried and gone. You yell and you are the only one yelling. The only one breathing. The only one there. The faint chime of a city plow in the distance. The wail of one of Schoerner’s penned-up hounds. But no one is with you. No one to contradict you. And you dare to close your eyes and fill up your lungs with winter, your destiny before you like a map of the world. And the wind seems to whisper promises, and you, with arms outstretched and chin to the heavens, swear oaths back to the wind - little things, like fulfilling prophecies and charting new courses and going forth from this time and this place to do great and wondrous things. But first, of course, it will be necessary to get high.” 2 likes