Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “A Different Kind of Christmas” as Want to Read:
A Different Kind of Christmas
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

A Different Kind of Christmas

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  265 ratings  ·  54 reviews
This is a very special novel that sparkles with the same memorable writing that made ROOTS an American classic.

This is the story ofFletcher Randall, a nineteen-year-old from North Carolina whose politically powerful father is a plantation owner, and, of course, a slave owner. The time is 1855, and all Fletcher Randall knows and believes about slavery he's learned from his
...more
Hardcover, 112 pages
Published September 5th 2000 by Gramercy (first published 1988)
more details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about A Different Kind of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Different Kind of Christmas

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30 of 486)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  rating details
Muhammad Galal
-- رواية تحكي عن الرقّ و العبوديّة في أمريكا قبل الحرب الأهليّة ، الأحداث تمّت في عام 1855 م .
-- انتهى الرقّ في الشمال و عاش السود أحرارًا كالبيض _ بمساعدة " الكوكرييّن البيض " ، و ما زال أهل الجنوب يستعبدون السود و يُهلكونهم بالتعذيب و العمل الشاقّ .
-- قصّة الرواية تدور حول أنّ شابّ جنوبي من أب ذي منصب هامّ في الدولة " عضو مجلس الشيوخ " ، و عنده ما يقارب المائة عبد يعملون في مزرعته و هو من أكبر أعيان " كارولينا الشماليّة " .
-- يلتقي الابن و هو في دراسته في الشمال بزملاء له كوكريّين يستضيفونه
...more
Sarah
This is a very quick and simple read. I read it for the book club that I facilitate. One of my group members had suggested this book as our Christmas read, and also because one of her ancestors (Levi Coffin) was mentioned in the book.
The author of this book, Alex Haley, also wrote the book Roots. This book, A Different Kind of Christmas, takes place in 1855 and is narrated by a college student named Fletcher Randall. During his time at Princeton University, Fletcher meets and befriends a trio of
...more
Katy
I checked out this novella yesterday because (1) it was written by Alex Haley, and (2) it was short and thin. Not realizing what I was about to read, I am amazed by the story itself and the excellence in writing.

It's 1855, and young Fletcher, scion of a wealthy NC plantation family with political ties, is befriended by three Quaker brothers. All four men attend a prestigious Northern college in Princeton, NJ. The brothers and Fletcher discuss slavery, each respecting the views and family positio
...more
Hattie
"Harpin' John cupped his harmonica. He played. Fletcher heard the melody of "Silent Night" as the Christmas moonlight bathed the faces of the black man playing and the white man listening."


As I read this small book packed with a wonderful story, I wished Alex Haley were still here writing his heart out. The man was brilliant. "A Different Kind of Christmas" is mainly about, Fletcher Randall, a white Southerner. Fletcher grew up on a thousand acre plantation in North Carolina. The plantation was
...more
Radwa
سعيدة باكتشاف تلك الرواية لأليكس هيلى كى لا يظل اسمه مرتبطا ب (جذور) فقط.
الرواية تدور أحداثها فى أمريكا أيام استعباد السود و بطلها هو أحد أبناء الموسرين البيض الذى يذهب للدراسة فى بلدة بعيدة عن أهله و يتعرف على بعض الأفراد من الكويكريين . تنمو الصداقة بينهم و يلتقى كذلك مع بعض السود الأحرار و هو ما لم يكن مألوفا فى البلدة التى جاء منها ليبدأ فى التساؤل حول موضوع الرق و الحرية بأكمله. مع تطور الرواية يتغير موقفه تجاه قضية السود ليشترك فى مجموعة من البيض و السود هدفها تهريب العبيد السود و مساعدتهم
...more
Apryl Anderson
Haley dedicates this story, “To the memory of all those whose courage, daring, and self-sacrifice made the Underground Railroad possible.”

It’s almost as if I were leaning over his shoulder as he conducted his family research…So many questions come up when we find the shortest blurbs on what person was where and when. This short story appears to have bubbled up out of a few names and places, and Haley was the fortunate scribe watching it unfold in his imagination. How much of this was anything c
...more
Tirza Fierros-Snuffer
a big THANK YOU to whoever donated this book to the library sale - I was thrilled to buy it and LOVED it! I won't over analyze or scrutinize this story, characters, or writing like many reviews! It goes without saying that Alex Haley's writing was fabulous! Simply Put - its a quick read & fantastic book. Perfect to read this time of year (or any other). Five stars indeed!
Tasneem Ali
إذا لم تسطتع الحكومة حماية حق أقل المواطنين شأناً فى الحياة و الحرية و نشدان السعادة أو استطاعت و لم تفعل ... فينبغى إصلاحها أو تغييرها دون إبطاء
عيد ميلاد جديد تتحرك فى سيكولوجية طالب جامعى يكتشف عن طريق المُثل العليا للدين ومن خلال تجربة ذاتية فريدة طبيعة الرق المنافية للإنسانية و عندها سيكتشف وسيلة للتواؤم مع ذاته بعد أن طالت الحرب الداخلية باطنه بكل ما يحمل ..
Elizabeth
Wow, Fletcher is the son of a plantation owner but he is attending college in the north. He meets Quakers for the first time and slowly but surely he begins to believe that slavery is wrong. He is taking an ethics class which furthers his belief that slavery is wrong. Fletcher becomes so upset over how slaves are treated that he volunteers to help the Underground Railroad. On a visit to his parents' plantation for Christmas, Fletcher has to use his cunning and courage to execute a plan of assist ...more
Julie Barrett
A Different Kind of Christmas by Alex Haley
1855, time of slavery and underground railroad.
Fletcher has been granted a move on campus and he meets other religious groups of people and talks to them to understand about their lifestyle.
He attends President Lincoln's address about freeing the slaves and he knows he will be the master of the plantation in time.
Love details to make it a special day for everyone.
I received this book from National Library Service for my BARD (Braille Audio Reading Devic
...more
Muhammad Galal
-- رواية تحكي عن الرقّ و العبوديّة في أمريكا قبل الحرب الأهليّة ، الأحداث تمّت في عام 1855 م .
-- انتهى الرقّ في الشمال و عاش السود أحرارًا كالبيض _ بمساعدة " الكوكرييّن البيض " ، و ما زال أهل الجنوب يستعبدون السود و يُهلكونهم بالتعذيب و العمل الشاقّ .
-- قصّة الرواية تدور حول أنّ شابّ جنوبي من أب ذي منصب هامّ في الدولة " عضو مجلس الشيوخ " ، و عنده ما يقارب المائة عبد يعملون في مزرعته و هو من أكبر أعيان " كارولينا الشماليّة " .
-- يلتقي الابن و هو في دراسته في الشمال بزملاء له كوكريّين يستضيفونه
...more
Dusky Literati
Alex Haley’s A Different Kind of Christmas is the first book I read for this year’s Christmas Spirit challenge. This novella set in 1855, follows 19-year old Randall Fletcher, son of a slave-holding plantation owner. While attending college at Princeton, he is befriended by three brothers who happen to be Quakers. Through his interaction with them and visits to their hometown of Philadelphia, he slowly awakens to the evils of slavery. Can Randall partner with a slave to betray his family as he i ...more
Redfox5
A simple yet enjoyable story about the son of a plantation owner who starts to change his mind about slavery and becomes determined to do something about it. This really is a 'different kind of Christmas' story.
Linda
This is, perhaps, one of my favorite Christmas stories because it deals with the early days of the Underground Railroad in Pennsylvania. Fascinating in it's simplicity, it is a treasure.
Lynne
This was a great little book that I think several of my students would like. I wish it would have been longer so that I could read about the characters more. It just sort of ended!
Elisha Ebanks
Excellent book! Learned some things I never even knew about slavery and The UGRR. Brilliant story! I definitely need to buy myself a copy to keep in my home and start buying it as gifts.
Joe

A plantation boy has his trials with anti-southern discrimination at Princeton,* is shocked to see blacks walking around free, and meets Quakers who will introduce him to the Underground Railroad. These are solid basics foretelling a great tale, and the first half is just right. A good slice of pre-Civil War history as well.

Seems rushed at the end. Haley was either under pressure to finish or simply fumbled when plot details at the climactic ending seem simply omitted.

*Question: Would they h
...more
Margie
This is a very short story but a very good one. I only gave it three stars because the ending seemed abrupt. I wanted to know more.
Laura
I read this in college too but I enjoyed reading it again. I could easily identify with the main character and I loved the Quaker family described in this book. It is a great story about helping someone "see the light" and what approach is the most likely way to encourage someone to change his/her worldview. The story lacks detailed information about Fletcher's transformation and the ending leaves a lot to the imagination but this is a super quick read that leaves you with something to think abo ...more
Carolyn
Whereas I LOVED Roots and the generational approach to telling the tale of slavery, I'm not sure I'm suggesting everyone rush out to read this novella. If you're not going to commit yourself to reading Haley's masterpiece, I suppose this might suffice it, but this short tale of a young plantation owner's son realizing his disgust with slavery didn't grab me the way Roots did. Maybe because this was told more from the white perspective? Dunno. Very easy read, though, and a nice story.
Elizabeth
A good, quick read about a wealthy only son of a state representative/plantation owner father who is attending Princeton in the years preceding the Civil War. After he befriends some Quaker "friends" and visits Philadelphia and meets free blacks, he questions his whole world view. His courage is remarkable, although I would have liked more information about his thought processes, and some of Haley's details seems anachronistic... (Was there really baseball in 1855?)
Amy Kitchell-Leighty
College student Fletcher Randall leaves his southern plantation home and moves to Princeton in hopes of teaching the north a lesson or two in how society should work. It's 1855 and Fletcher stands to eventually inherit the family business. Instead, he learns a lesson from his newfound Quaker friends who take him to an Underground Railroad Rally. With Christmas approaching, Fletcher gains insight into the man he wants to be and the people he wants to help.
Mary Etta
Not at all like any Christmas story I've ever read.
Jason X
This effort felt like an incomplete project, a polished quick sketch of a larger story.
Rae
Haley tells the story of a young man, Fletcher Randall, in 1855 North Carolina whose father owns a plantation with many slaves. Fletcher goes up North to school, sees the light and becomes an abolitionist. He then participates in a mass escape of slaves on the Underground Railroad...which is to take place on Christmas Eve. This novel was just OK and nothing more really.
David Bradburn
Incredible reminder of how many folks, both from the North and the South, sacrificed so much to help get the slaves to freedom. I was given this book in 1988 and found it in a stack of my old books so I had to read it again. The underground railroad is one of the finest creations in the history of our country, supported by both black, white and native american heroes.
Monica Johnson
With Alex Haley's name planted securely on top, you just can't go wrong. I really enjoyed this tale of a wealthy heir to a southern plantation who finds himself questioning the very root system of his beliefs. A strong story, well written. My only complaint is the book seemed to end very abruptly. I find myself yearning to hear the conclusion....
Tommy Estlund
A very quick, simple tale of a young southern man's awakening to the realization that slavery is wrong. I was surprised--and pleased--to see the prominence that Quakers played in the coming to terms with the horrors of the institution.

Its short, easy to read, and realistic.

Good for kids, with a little discussion.
Satia
I wanted to like it more. It was more exposition than emotion and I just didn't especially care about the characters.

For my full review, click here.
Connie
A wealthy boy from the South comes in contact with Friends (Quakers) at his college in the North and makes a
radical change in his thinking about the ownership of Blacks. His commitment to their freedom stands the test on Christmas Eve. Interesting historical
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 17 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Don't Block the Blessings
  • A Valentine Kiss: Cupids Bow\Made In Heaven\Matchmaker
  • A Gift of Joy (Delanza #2.5)
  • Promises Beyond Jordan
  • Interiors: A Black Woman's Healing in Progress
  • Striped Ice Cream
  • And the Walls Came Tumbling Down
  • A Christmas Memory, One Christmas, & The Thanksgiving Visitor
  • The Sisterhood of Blackberry Corner
  • Abraham's Well
  • In My Father's House
  • Murder at the Bad Girl's Bar and Grill: A Novel
  • Why Black People Tend to Shout: Cold Facts and Wry Views from a Black Man's World
  • On My Own at 107: Reflections on Life Without Bessie
  • Luck or Something Like It
  • A Regency Christmas VII
  • Bullwhip Days: The Slaves Remember: An Oral History
  • Racism 101
17434
Alexander Murray Palmer Haley was an American writer. He is best known as the author of Roots: The Saga of an American Family, and of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, the latter of which he wrote in collaboration with Malcolm X.
More about Alex Haley...
Roots: The Saga of an American Family Queen Mama Flora's Family The Autobiography of Malcolm X The Man Who Traced America's Roots: His Life, His Works

Share This Book