Start by marking “Mama Flora's Family” as Want to Read:
Mama Flora's Family

Mama Flora's Family

She vowed to find a better world for her children.  Even if she had to make it herself.

A sweeping epic of contemporary history by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Alex Haley, this magnificent novel weaves an unforgettable story of one family, three generations, and their search for the American dream....

She is the heart and soul of her family who, through faith and courage, d
Published November 1st 1999 by Delta (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Flora's Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Flora's Family

Winter Sophia Rose
Jan 24, 2016 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Touching, Inspiring, Emotional & Heartwarming! A Great Read! I Loved It!
Angela
Apr 23, 2014 Angela rated it it was amazing
My what a great story. I absolutely loved this book - so much so I can see myself reading it more than once, more than twice. My only complaint, there were parts of the book where it seemed rushed - but I understand that - with the number of characters it would take too much to develop each, and to discuss each relationship in depth.

When I start a novel, what I usually do is read the first chapter, then read the last line of the book. Not sure why I didn't take this approach this time - but I'm
Bobbi
Apr 07, 2014 Bobbi rated it really liked it
A wonderful book, but how could it not be coming from Alex Haley. I wanted to give it a 5 but it wasn't as good as Roots. It's sort of a continuing story of what it's like to be black in America during the 20th century, although it only goes into the 1970s. One of the things that I like most about books is the quality of the writing, and this man can write! I will definitely read Queen.
Nancy
Feb 11, 2010 Nancy rated it liked it
Years ago I read Queen, a book started by Alex Haley (author of Roots) and finished posthumously, which told the story of his father's family. I really liked Queen and thought that maybe I would find something similar in Mama Flora's Family, which came from an uncompleted novel that was inspired by Alex Haley's mother's family. Flora becomes a single mother after her husband is murdered, and raises her children in the Jim Crow South. The story follows the lives of her children and grandchildren ...more
Milena
Jan 18, 2008 Milena rated it it was amazing
Alex Haley...It's a "Godfather" story about the African-American experience. This book spans 3 generations...From slavery to the Chicago ghetto, Black Panthers...The heart of the book is how the love of family members reaches even the deepest, most desperate of situations and how, miraculously, people find a way to continue on, to heal, to continue to struggle. HIGHLY recommend to anyone who loves the "family" aspect of "The Godfather" series...(I think I've made that point already and the last ...more
Bryan Jaketic
Nov 30, 2011 Bryan Jaketic rated it really liked it
Alex Haley wrote two of the most profound books of a generation, with Roots and Autobiography of Malcom X. Mama Flora's Family couldn't possibly be as though provoking as those earlier books, but it does take you on a journey worth taking.
Icypisces374
Angie
Oct 23, 2010 Angie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Diane
Shelves: fiction
Wonderful story about a fabulous family !
Kim Malavey
May 22, 2015 Kim Malavey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book.
Kia
Feb 22, 2010 Kia rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Looked at the lives of Flora and her 3 children. I think I cried for 200 pages, so it made it a little hard to read.
Shawna
Apr 09, 2012 Shawna rated it really liked it
Terrific historical fiction novel by one of the greatest authors. A must if you are interested in american history.
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Heart wrenching drama with just that extra touch of history and home.
Candice
Apr 18, 2012 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a great book, I have to admit I had seen the movie BEFORE i read the book, and I enjoyed them both VERY much.
Michelle Ham
May 10, 2011 Michelle Ham rated it really liked it
Not the best-written book out there but still amazing - and very readable.
Debbie
Jun 23, 2017 Debbie rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
If you liked Roots you will like Mama's family. A wonderful story that the characters seem so real and true.
Valencia Alexander
Feb 27, 2017 Valencia Alexander rated it it was amazing
I've watched the movie several times throughout the years. I enjoyed the novel.
Sharon C
Apr 11, 2016 Sharon C rated it really liked it
A tad slow getting into it, but soon I was wrapped up in the lives of the characters. Takes place in the segregated south and falls into the 60's and the Civil Rights movement. Very enjoyable read.
Betsy Murphy
Oct 04, 2016 Betsy Murphy rated it it was amazing
It was a GREAT BOOK !!! I couldn't put it down when I was near the end - stayed up until 2 am to finish it .
Murie
Murie rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2011
Kervgala
Kervgala rated it liked it
May 29, 2009
Laurie Bolen
Laurie Bolen rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2013
Ta'via Brooks-vines
Ta'via Brooks-vines rated it really liked it
Dec 29, 2012
fbt
fbt rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2014
Keanna
Keanna rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2012
Yvonne
Yvonne rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2012
Jamal
Jamal rated it it was amazing
Sep 05, 2013
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
  • October Suite
  • The Itch
  • Neecey's Lullaby: A novel
  • Dessa Rose
  • My Folks Don't Want Me to Talk about Slavery: Twenty-One Oral Histories of Former North Carolina Slaves
  • Third Girl from the Left
  • Far From the Tree
  • If Sons, Then Heirs
Alexander Murray Palmer Haley was an American writer. He is best known as the author of Roots: The Saga of an American Family, and of The Autobiography of Malcolm X, the latter of which he wrote in collaboration with Malcolm X.
More about Alex Haley...