Kids in the Riot: High and Low with The Libertines

Kids in the Riot: High and Low with The Libertines

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The extraordinary story of the most gifted yet nihilistic London band since The Sex Pistols is told. Kids in the Riot is written with the complete co-operation of the major players in the gloriously destructive ascent of The Libertines and documents the break-ins, break-ups, punch-ups, etc.
Published April 1st 2005 by Omnibus Press

Margaret
Some girls read chick lit. My light reading tends toward that peculiarly British band book - the one written by a marginally famous person who grew up with/toured with/did drugs with a significantly more famous person, or um.. pair of siblings.
It's usually, but not always, a flattering coming of age story - as seen through the lens of the only person with enough brain cells left to write the tale of the band's early days.

Not sure why I picked this up - I've never understood the appeal of Pete Do...more
emily
Feb 23, 2007 emily rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: music
It may seem a bit early for a book about them, but the Libertines story already involves so much drama it was inevitable. This is basically a collection of interviews with Carl, Pete, record label people, and photographers all put together by some buddy of their's. So it reads like a really long magazine article, which is exactly how I wanted it to be. As silly as it may seem, I've been kind of moved by a couple NME articles about them. I love their music and it's so sad how totally fucked-up th...more
Rosemary
I'm kind of torn between 3 or 4 stars. This book is comprised of direct quotes from Pete, Carl, and a few other people, and the author's (who was a good friend of the band)personal opinion. Consequently, it's quite messy. Pete and Carl frequently contradict each other, and the book is filled with very biased personal opinions. John and Gary's voices are pretty much completely absent, which seems strange, and a lot of the people interviewed seem to be very carefully trying to avoid the blame of w...more
Alan Fricker
Utter trash but enjoyable for all that.
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Steph
Steph marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Tom
Tom added it
Mar 12, 2014
Balázs Ligatfalvi
Balázs Ligatfalvi marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2013
Noreen
Noreen marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Claudia
Claudia marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2013
Katie Kay
Katie Kay marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013