Start by marking “Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)

Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles #2.5)

A short story featured in Review of Australian Fiction.

Lady Celie of the Lumateran Flatlands is visiting the Belegonian spring castle on the isle of Ferragost. Cut off from the rest of Belegonia by poor weather, she is confined to the island with four others, including the mysterious castellan of the castle. When the body of one of the guests is discovered on the rocks out
ebook, Volume 3, Issue 4, 30 pages
Published August 7th 2012 by Review of Australian Fiction

To ask other readers questions about Ferragost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ferragost

Tatiana
Jun 08, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it
My affection for Eagar's writing seems to be decreasing with each work of hers I read, for some reason. There is something very unpolished and rough about the writing style of this story, whereas the plot itself is quite good.

Merged review:

Well, now I need a WHOLE book about Celie.

Great story, mysterious, atmospheric and romantic too.
Keertana
Jun 08, 2012 Keertana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-favorites
We Melina Marchetta fans, we need to start a petition, because I need a WHOLE book on Celie, and especially on her romance with Banyon. Seriously, one little short story just isn't enough! First of all, I have to admit that I didn't have very high hopes for Ferragost, simply because Marchetta's strength lies in her slow build-up and development of ideas, of extending them along the plot lines of her novels and creating something beautiful from them; something breathtaking. I wasn't sure if she c ...more
Mitch
Aug 09, 2012 Mitch rated it really liked it
Another most excellent entry in the Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta. At this point, I don't think there's any kind of writing she can't do, because this short story slash murder mystery is almost as good as any one of her longer books. Definitely a must read for any fan of Finnikin of the Rock.

Hmmm, what can I say, Marchetta just has a way with words. It's incredible how something only six chapters in length can set up multiple complex, interesting characters, a haunting setting, and an
ALPHAreader
Aug 06, 2012 ALPHAreader rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth issue of Volume Three of the Review of Australian Fiction. It contains a new story by Melina Marchetta, "Ferragost", a 15,000 word Lady Celie adventure, and a story Kirsty Eagar, "Molasses".

‘Review of Australian Fiction’ has been a wonderful short story enterprise that pairs an established writer with an ‘emerging writer’ every issue. The latest offering, Volume 3 Issue 4, has Melina Marchetta headlining along with the emerging writer she hand-picked to share her issue, Kirst
Kay
Aug 08, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of finnikin, froi, and lumatere
This story was published alongside Ferragost, and in terms of style and content, a better companion work would have been hard to come by.

The author's style reminds me a lot of Melina Marchetta's. Like the aforementioned author, Kirsty Eagar deals with tough adolescent issues, and creates very sympathetic characters.

A quick synopsis. Amelia is going through a tough time. Her flaky mother is near criminal in her disregard for her own children, her step-father cares more about pigeons than his ste
Katy
Aug 25, 2012 Katy rated it really liked it
3.5 stars - How does a book so short incorporate so much happening, so many description, so many character traits and draws the reader in so much?

I admit I was a bit confused at first because it took me a bit to realize how the murder mystery related to the politics on Ferrogost Isle. And it was one of those murder mysteries where the body is discovered, and the ones doing the investigating slowly discover clues to support their theories - though it did not occur slowly at all. Throw in some twi
Stephanie
The mother needs a punch in the face and a kick in her woman region.

Perfection. As always.

The thing about Melina Marchetta is that her stories unfold like a blossoming flower: Layer by layer, until what you have in the end is a beautiful bloom that you want more of. Gah!

Now I need a whole book about Celina May of the Lumateran Flatlands or just, you know, Quintana of Charyn. Gimmeh! I am in a perpetual state of longing for this woman's words. Putty in her hands folks! If she write
Robin (Bridge Four)
Dec 31, 2013 Robin (Bridge Four) rated it really liked it
But I want more :(

I really liked the short story of Celie and Castellan of Ferragost. It was interesting how it tied into the tales of Lumatere and there could be some issues with Belegonia. Parts seemed a little rushed and that is probably because it is a short story and not a novel. There was tension and desire and I definitely felt a little heat.

I would be interested in reading more of Celie's adventures in Belegonia.

This is a fun little side read if you like The Lumatere Chronicles and sti
Eri (Airy Reads)
Aug 06, 2015 Eri (Airy Reads) rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Eri (Airy Reads) by: Katie, Lisa
It's just wrong that something so short can give me so many emotions and also feel like I've been brutally hung because it's not quite lacking, but there should be more?

No thanks to Lisa and Katie who insisted this was awesome...I'm going to mourn the fact that the second part of this story is coming out on a still not yet determined date.
Suraya (thesuraya)
Feb 27, 2016 Suraya (thesuraya) rated it it was amazing
marchetta, this is merely a novella. why do u have to put along heavy emotions in this????? WILL I EVER KNOW WHAT EXACTLY HAPPENED?!!!!
charlotte
that's it????????????????

reread #1: finished 26/12/15

damnit where's that celie book i need it
Alexa
Jun 08, 2012 Alexa rated it it was amazing

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Molasses is a short story featured in Review of Australian Fiction: Volume 3, Issue 4, and I was really curious about it because I loved the author's first novel Raw Blue. I wondered what genre it was going to be, and it ended up being a contemporary with one particular scene that seemed almost magical.

I love the author's writing, and for a short story, this was really good. I didn't want it to end. I think it would have been even better if it w
Deniz
Sep 23, 2012 Deniz rated it really liked it

*le sigh*

I read this after reading Quintana. But I would advise that one reads it after Froi.. still it was a small solace for me to still have a little bit of Lumatere to read. I still morn the end of the series!

AND again Marchetta managed to enchant me, she is an absolute master! IN only 35pages she had me

and

and

not to forget

[image error]

but NOW its all over!!

The thing that amazes me is again Marchetta creates a master piece with layers that slowly uncover way beyond what I expected. She (agai
Joy (joyous reads)
Jun 20, 2012 Joy (joyous reads) marked it as to-read
Shelves: for-review
Holy freaking crap.
Armina
Dec 03, 2013 Armina rated it really liked it
Another great entry in the Lumatere Chronicles. Lady Celie's story - very romantic and mysterious. A must read for any fan of the series. Full review to come soon.
Maggie
Jun 08, 2012 Maggie rated it really liked it
MORE. I NEED MORE!!
Wendy

I'm just not into short stories, because, well, I just don't get the appeal.

This one, and Ferragost, were excellent for what they are: short stories by two of my favorite Aussie authors.

Merged review:

WHAT?!? How can it end like that??!?!?

I'm mad, now. See, this is why I don't like short stories.

They just pick up in the middle, you're totally getting into it, settling in for an amazing story by MM, and then they leave you hanging. .... hanging there, wanting more, when NO MORE will co
Brittany (finally graduated and can once again read for fun)
Being the Melina Marchetta addict that I am, there is no way that I could not read this. And once again I was not let down. Learning more about Lady Celie was fabulous. I love her heart and loyalty. I love her ambition, really I just think I love everything about the lovely Lumeterans and Lady Celie is no exception. I can't wait to see more of her in Quintana.

Is it October yet?
Word Traffic
5 stars.

It was absolutely great.

Celie is one of those quietly fierce characters I love reading about and Mr Banyon was positively intriguing. My only complaint is: WHY SO SHORT!? I definitely want to read more about that couple... The ending was unexpectedly adorable :)
Lindsay
Aug 20, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Well that was interesting. A bit scattered at times (jumping from one scene to the next with no break), but I would LOVE more with Celie. She's fascinating. (Andplusalso more about Isaboe's missing years!)
Leslye
Jun 09, 2012 Leslye rated it really liked it
Very happy there will be more of these Lady Celie stories. Glad to return to the world of Skuldenore! This one's a mystery full of great wit, humour and sexual tension with the usual Marchetta genius.
Jennie
Aug 01, 2012 Jennie rated it it was amazing
This short story is a perfect slice of Marchetta-writing-goodness. Humor, sorrow, sympathy, mystery, and wit all equal a wonderfully entertaining tale featuring Celie of the Flatlands.
Jam
May 28, 2015 Jam rated it really liked it
Shelves: amazing-ladies
petition for every character in the lumatere chronicles to have their own novel please and thank you
Bethzaida
Aug 06, 2012 Bethzaida rated it it was amazing
I need more NOW! Amazing addition to the Lumatere Chronicles.
idil
this is unfair i need a whole book on celie... what kinda cliffhanger marchetta...
Devyani
Aug 14, 2012 Devyani rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-treasure
I really really REALLY love Marchetta :D
and I really really REALLY am fond of Eagar .

To have short stories written by them is like having my favourite choice of donut which is , The 'Double Trouble' Chocolate donut and which is like the most delicious chocolate donut ever produced . EVER .

Let me just state how I came upon and finally settled upon comparing the two things I've just mentioned . That is ofcourse , the book and the Donut .

See , 'Double Trouble' is the real deal . It's like an explos
Dec 26, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
You cannot read the third book in the Lumatire Chronicles until you have read Ferragost. This book was short, but still absolutely incredible. I was extremelly sad when it was over, I would love to know more about Celie of the Flatlands, and getting inside her head was such an unexpected turn to the story. It only made Lumatere and the land of Skuldanore seem more real, as it branched out with new places and characters, and gave you the feel of just how big Skuldanore is, and all of the differen ...more
Ariana
Jun 12, 2012 Ariana rated it it was amazing
Shelves: aussie-and-nz, shorty
It was good that I read it after reading Quintana of Charyn. It would've been quite confusing as the action happened during the evens from the 3rd book.. still I enjoyed with all my heart this last piece of Lumatere.

But as the story ended I couldn't shake the feeling that Melina was just a bit mean while sharing this novella with us. You know why?
Because it gives you this terrible feeling that the story can still go on, that there are other intrigues that could be revealed if MM would decide to
Ode to Melina Mar...: Ferragost 5 20 Aug 07, 2012 06:01PM
  • Queen of the Night (This is Shyness, #2)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Just Between Us
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus War, #0.5)
  • Burn (The Rephaim, #4)
  • Night Beach
  • Thief! (The Queen's Thief, #0.5)
  • Preloved
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Words in Deep Blue
  • The Blue-Haired Boy (Faking Normal, #0.5)
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Stay Until We Break (Hub City, #2)
  • All I Ever Wanted
  • The Shattered Mountain (Fire and Thorns, #0.6)
  • The First Star to Fall (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #1.5)
Melina Marchetta was born in Sydney Australia. Her first novel, Looking For Alibrandi was awarded the Children's Book Council of Australia award in 1993 and her second novel, Saving Francesca won the same award in 2004. Looking For Alibrandi was made into a major film in 2000 and won the Australian Film Institute Award for best Film and best adapted screen play, also written by the author. On the ...more
More about Melina Marchetta...

Lumatere Chronicles (3 books)
  • Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles, #1)
  • Froi of the Exiles (Lumatere Chronicles, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)

“There were events that stuck in my mind. One, for example, was the case of the missing palace seal at the beginning of winter.’

‘Oh the poor animal,’ she cried out, ‘they’re such beautiful creatures.’

‘I’m speaking of the royal seal placed on correspondence, as you would know,’ he said.”
7 likes
“We’re not eight kingdoms, but an entire land with one heartbeat. It’s why people like you and I need to record our people’s stories so we can find those moments when our paths cross, and only then will we know true peace.” 3 likes