Start by marking “The Christmas Box/Timepiece/The Letter” as Want to Read:
The Christmas Box/Time...

Richard Paul Evans

The Christmas Box/Timepiece/The Letter

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,530 ratings  ·  158 reviews
This glowing novel of loss and healing carries us back into the lives of the characters who have become nearly as real and precious to us as family. The Letter opens 19 years after the death of David and MaryAnne Parkin's daughter, Andrea, when MaryAnne discovers a letter left at the base of the angel statue that marks her child's grave. She shares the letter with her lovi ...more
Hardcover
Published by Simon & Schuster (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Box/Timepiece/The Letter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Box/Timepiece/The Letter

Oria
This is the kind of book that should be read at home by the fireplace, curled up on a sofa with a mug of mulled wine nearby. It is such a nice beautiful collection of stories, that I found myself overwhelmed at times by the lovely sad love stories between the pages.
There is grief and also joy, but above all there is love, the kind that endures even though it may seem that sometimes is ready to flicker and die, caught between doubt and temptation. There is also hate and despair and violence, and
Meera
10 stars!!!!

Glad to find my tear glands still working...:-D:-D
Tracy Walters
This was a beautiful book.....3 amazing stories that all intertwined and left you smiling with a broken heart. The Christmas Box has always been one of my favorite stories and it was wonderful to have the other two stories to add to the splendor of this story. MaryAnne and David Parkin are a beautiful couple that share an amazing love story and it really touches you deep inside when you get to know them alone and as a couple. This was a great read for me and I highly recommend it!
A collection of three stories that tell of the love story between David and MaryAnne Parkin. Set in the early 20th century, the Parkins, through their experiences, teach us lessons of life, love and dealing with grief. The stories are interwoven beautifully and leave one weeping at their joys and griefs. I highly recommend this book as I learned many things about myself and my relationship with my loved ones.
Felicia
This is three books in one. I think I would like three separate books better. The first book "The Christmas Box" is good. The second one "The Timepiece p" was my favorite of the three but the hardest to read emotionally. The third "The Letter" was my least favorite but still good. The hardest part was the fact someone dies at the end of each one. They are all thought provoking and emotionally charged.
Lisa
This was a cute bunch of stories - good for drawing up some warm feelings about the past at Christmas time. I like how each stories characters are related to the characters in the other ones. I didn't expect it - I had not heard that it was a trilogy. I thought that it was just a bunch of random Christmas stories. It is so much more. Many tears were shed.
Julaine Evans
This book is pretty depressing. It has a good message that we can change our lives no matter how terrible our choices may be. I don't want to cry for Christmas or the rest of the year so I would not suggest this story.
Sara
Our family is currently reading "The Christmas Box" together and it is wonderful to have them discover it for the first time. I love the two following stories which are sort of a prequel to "The Christmas Box."
Barbara
This book brought together three books I had previously read and made a more complete story than any had been alone. I love the way R.P.Evans writes so this was a wonderful book for the Christmas season.
Aimee
I read this every December
GoldenjoyBazyll
This is a WONDERFUL book! It is a three part series all based on a family that needed a place to live. They answered an ad in the newspaper that brought them to an elderly widow living in a mansion. If they were to move in- which they did- they needed to do some light housekeeping duties but mostly- be companions to the elderly woman. During the course of the story of the Christmas Box (first in the book) the families become very close and experience magic from an old bible box where music and l ...more
Jess
Really, to be fair, I'd have to give this a 3.5. I liked it, I really did, but I'm not raving about it. As a collection of three novels that exist as a quasi-series, I'm just going to talk a little bit about each of them.

The Christmas Box

I've already reviewed the first novel, The Christmas Box before, and I feel like it sums up my feelings pretty well, so I'm gonna do a little bit of copy & paste here.

"Usually, I'm not the type of person to cry over books. If I read something particularly
Alyn
Read this book in time for Christmas. It is a three-part book which revolves around life of Mary Anne Parkin as relayed by Richard Evan's family who moved to Salt Lake City.

The first story is about a Christmas Box the family found in the old attic. Mary Anne uses the representation to make Richard realize the importance of family, his child Jenna's passing childhood and the first gift of Christmas.

The second book is about an expensive timepiece, a grandfather clock which Mary Anne's husband Davi
Linda Husvar
I found this trilogy very somber and poignant. Mary Anne and David rose from poverty to wealth during desperate Depression Era years. David's fight against racism and ignorance cost their family dearly. I liked the character development during death, grief, separation, and losses. The three books were full of symbolism and irony. They were thought-provoking, but not an easy read. Nonetheless, they were worth the time needed to read the complete set.
Sherrie
This was my book club's selection for December. I really enjoyed reading this collection of stories. The author took you inside the lives of this family. Through the generations he connects all the "dots" so the story is complete. I really like that about a book. I like to have all the "dots" connected. If your looking for a wonderful Christmas book to read this is the one.
Marianne
While cleaning out my house, I came across this book. My sister in law had given it to my grandmother as a Christmas gift in 1995. My grandmother passed away 10 years ago. I read the book in one sitting - it's not a long read. Very easy. And it's very good - pulls at your heart and makes you think a little. And definitely appropriate to read around Christmas.
Ashley
I give it 4 stars because as much as it was well written and left good feelers all over the place... I would rather watch a Hallmark movie than read it in book form. That's what this felt like to me. Just not my personal taste, but fit in wonderfully with the palate I was trying to create to get into the holiday season!
Chris Notionless
Dec 15, 2014 Chris Notionless rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Coffee Shop Swap
Page turner, short read, moves quickly - powerful story of a woman finding a new family and teaching them what's important in life is often right there in front of us. Simple and moving, not overly religious. Recommended.
Daniel
The Christmas Box is another great book written by Richard Paul Evens.The Christmas Box has a main theme of love.In this book a family is not doing very well.The wife gets a job to help support the family.They move to this house with this old lady to help her.After they get to know the old lady they found out she was a widow and all her family died.Then they find out she has cancer.They would often her crying.Every night a box would let out music because it would if someone would turn it on.It b ...more
Kym
I have read this collection a few times and enjoy it each time. Even when I'm running short on time I still read at least The Christmas Box at Christmastime each year. Heartwarming and uplifting.
Gretchen McClain
These stories were really good. Unfortunately, there were 20 pages missing from my book. I leant it to a friend anyway pointing the misprint out. Inspiring read and I love the author!
Laurie Kutil
I had seen the first two stories as movies also and liked those. "The Letter" was new to me thoughand really wrapped the whole series up neatly. A good book that was hard to put down.
Jocelyn Montalvo Cullum
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Di
I was told that I had to read this book. After reading it, I don't think anyone really has to read it. It wasn't terrible, but it was just ok. It was a quick read considering it was 6oo plus pages.

It is broken up into three "stories". Each story follows a different period in the main characters, David and Maryanne's, lives. Its about love, honor and integrity, tough decisions and life regrets. The story tries to point out to us what's really important and what should matter to us most. Some part
Chris Eirschele
A modern day winter holiday classic. The Christmas Box Collection is made up of three stories by Richard Paul Evans. He intertwines the stories between the late 1920s through to the late 1960s. It is an easy relaxing book, a read for the ages.
Sandy
This was a neat first experience with this author. I enjoyed the descriptions and the emotions expressed. Lovely.
Kathy
I have read this book several times, usually around Christmas time. It is a wonderful heartfelt story.
Jeannie
Chosen for our December Book Club choice...just a nice touching story.
Kay Allen
One of the best gentle trilogies out there. I recommend for all readers!
Jan
Want to read it again now!
Who is exsited for christmas?!?! 1 3 Oct 23, 2011 08:21AM
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Christmas Revels
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • Christmas Wishes
  • Sweet Christmas Kisses: Fourteen Sweet Christmas Romances
  • Cupid's Christmas
  • Comfort and Joy
  • The Snow Angel
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...
The Prisoner of Cell 25 (Michael Vey, #1) The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1) The Walk (The Walk, #1) Rise of the Elgen (Michael Vey, #2) The Locket (The Locket Trilogy #1)