Start by marking “The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box / Timepiece / The Letter (The Christmas Box, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Christmas Box Coll...

Richard Paul Evans

The Christmas Box Collection: The Christmas Box / Timepiece / The Letter (The Christmas Box Trilogy #1-3)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  2,177 Ratings  ·  180 Reviews
This glowing novel of loss and healing carries us back into the lives of the characters who have become nearly as real and precious to us as family. The Letter opens 19 years after the death of David and MaryAnne Parkin's daughter, Andrea, when MaryAnne discovers a letter left at the base of the angel statue that marks her child's grave. She shares the letter with her lovi ...more
Hardcover
Published by Simon & Schuster (first published October 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Christmas Box Collection, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Christmas Box Collection

Kim Hampton
Dec 16, 2016 Kim Hampton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally couldn't put this book down once I started! I read it in one day! Great characters, engaging plots, and lessons that everyone needs to learn.
Oria
Dec 26, 2010 Oria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book that should be read at home by the fireplace, curled up on a sofa with a mug of mulled wine nearby. It is such a nice beautiful collection of stories, that I found myself overwhelmed at times by the lovely sad love stories between the pages.
There is grief and also joy, but above all there is love, the kind that endures even though it may seem that sometimes is ready to flicker and die, caught between doubt and temptation. There is also hate and despair and violence, and
Tracy Walters
Jul 31, 2011 Tracy Walters rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a beautiful book.....3 amazing stories that all intertwined and left you smiling with a broken heart. The Christmas Box has always been one of my favorite stories and it was wonderful to have the other two stories to add to the splendor of this story. MaryAnne and David Parkin are a beautiful couple that share an amazing love story and it really touches you deep inside when you get to know them alone and as a couple. This was a great read for me and I highly recommend it!
Dec 21, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A collection of three stories that tell of the love story between David and MaryAnne Parkin. Set in the early 20th century, the Parkins, through their experiences, teach us lessons of life, love and dealing with grief. The stories are interwoven beautifully and leave one weeping at their joys and griefs. I highly recommend this book as I learned many things about myself and my relationship with my loved ones.
Felicia
This is three books in one. I think I would like three separate books better. The first book "The Christmas Box" is good. The second one "The Timepiece p" was my favorite of the three but the hardest to read emotionally. The third "The Letter" was my least favorite but still good. The hardest part was the fact someone dies at the end of each one. They are all thought provoking and emotionally charged.
Lisa
Dec 12, 2007 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a cute bunch of stories - good for drawing up some warm feelings about the past at Christmas time. I like how each stories characters are related to the characters in the other ones. I didn't expect it - I had not heard that it was a trilogy. I thought that it was just a bunch of random Christmas stories. It is so much more. Many tears were shed.
Barbara
Dec 27, 2012 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book brought together three books I had previously read and made a more complete story than any had been alone. I love the way R.P.Evans writes so this was a wonderful book for the Christmas season.
Julaine Evans
This book is pretty depressing. It has a good message that we can change our lives no matter how terrible our choices may be. I don't want to cry for Christmas or the rest of the year so I would not suggest this story.
Sara
Dec 21, 2008 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Our family is currently reading "The Christmas Box" together and it is wonderful to have them discover it for the first time. I love the two following stories which are sort of a prequel to "The Christmas Box."
Carmen Sandoval
Nov 25, 2015 Carmen Sandoval rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy read.. I enjoyed it. I will read the other 2 books in this trilogy.
Meera
Jul 19, 2014 Meera rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
10 stars!!!!

Glad to find my tear glands still working...:-D:-D
Aimee
Dec 15, 2008 Aimee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this every December
Jessika
Really, to be fair, I'd have to give this a 3.5. I liked it, I really did, but I'm not raving about it. As a collection of three novels that exist as a quasi-series, I'm just going to talk a little bit about each of them.

The Christmas Box

I've already reviewed the first novel, The Christmas Box before, and I feel like it sums up my feelings pretty well, so I'm gonna do a little bit of copy & paste here.

"Usually, I'm not the type of person to cry over books. If I read something particularly
Babycatcher
Sep 28, 2016 Babycatcher rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really didn't like these stories (3 in the one book) - it has a condesending, stilted attitude with an over-arching religious theme and mumbo-jumbo storyline that threads through the 3 stories. kept thinking it would get better. It didn't.
Wayne S.
Sep 10, 2015 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have previously read and reviewed author Richard Paul Evans’s #1 New York Times bestselling book The Christmas Box, in which a young family of Salt Lake City, UT, moves in with a widow, MaryAnne Parkin, and together they discover what the Christmas holiday is really all about. Timepiece and The Letter are “prequels” which tell the story of David and MaryAnne Parkin. In Timepiece David and MaryAnne meet, discover love, marry, find the power of forgiveness, and learn to cope with loss. What will ...more
GoldenjoyBazyll
This is a WONDERFUL book! It is a three part series all based on a family that needed a place to live. They answered an ad in the newspaper that brought them to an elderly widow living in a mansion. If they were to move in- which they did- they needed to do some light housekeeping duties but mostly- be companions to the elderly woman. During the course of the story of the Christmas Box (first in the book) the families become very close and experience magic from an old bible box where music and l ...more
Brandi
Dec 11, 2015 Brandi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who are looking for 'soul food' or deep subject matter, those looking for insight about God
Recommended to Brandi by: My Grandma
Shelves: read-in-2015
I picked up this book on a whim when I was with my grandma, perusing at a White Dove Thrift Shoppe (though, now that I've read the book, I wonder if it was really a whim that encouraged me to buy this trilogy...). The book was a steal - there was a sale that day, and this book happened to have the right colored tag that made it dirt cheap - and I'd heard my grandma talk about The Christmas Box before.

I'm glad that I bought it, especially because The Christmas Box Collection is one of the best bo
Donna
Oct 03, 2011 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story even though it is so sad. I read the first book, The Christmas box, most Christmases. I have read the second book a few times and I was sure I'd read the last book but now I know I hadn't. I just finished reading them all and my heart is so full.

The first book starts with the end. When Mary is an elderly woman living alone in a huge mansion and has put an ad in the paper for a live in family to help with meals and with maintaining the home. It doesn't take long for the young co
Alyn
Aug 24, 2008 Alyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in time for Christmas. It is a three-part book which revolves around life of Mary Anne Parkin as relayed by Richard Evan's family who moved to Salt Lake City.

The first story is about a Christmas Box the family found in the old attic. Mary Anne uses the representation to make Richard realize the importance of family, his child Jenna's passing childhood and the first gift of Christmas.

The second book is about an expensive timepiece, a grandfather clock which Mary Anne's husband Davi
Sierra 5. H.
Jan 03, 2017 Sierra 5. H. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Christmas box by Richard Paul Evans is an outstanding story. This book is written so beautifully. It is about a widow who hires a young family to help around the house. They become like family and are inseparable. It is a tale of tragedy and of hope. This book was written so outstandingly that it was sometimes hard to decipher, but you could get through it. Though I don't recommend it for younger ages. This book was written with heart. You could tell that the author was putting a lot of eff ...more
Daniel
Oct 15, 2012 Daniel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews-2
The Christmas Box is another great book written by Richard Paul Evens.The Christmas Box has a main theme of love.In this book a family is not doing very well.The wife gets a job to help support the family.They move to this house with this old lady to help her.After they get to know the old lady they found out she was a widow and all her family died.Then they find out she has cancer.They would often her crying.Every night a box would let out music because it would if someone would turn it on.It b ...more
Di
Nov 25, 2008 Di rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was told that I had to read this book. After reading it, I don't think anyone really has to read it. It wasn't terrible, but it was just ok. It was a quick read considering it was 6oo plus pages.

It is broken up into three "stories". Each story follows a different period in the main characters, David and Maryanne's, lives. Its about love, honor and integrity, tough decisions and life regrets. The story tries to point out to us what's really important and what should matter to us most. Some part
Allie Rodriguez
Dec 02, 2016 Allie Rodriguez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is normally not the type of books I read. I love mystery books but this one was actually recommended to me. I decided to give it a try and to my surprise I LOVE IT! What I like about this book in particular it that it has all three books in one. Though it says Christmas stories, I have to agree on what most people say. It doesn't concentrate to much on Christmas. I found the stories to be beautiful but so sad. If you are in a depressed mood I would not recommend it but it is a beautifully w ...more
Heather Bridson
Dec 03, 2012 Heather Bridson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book made me cry in each story. I love the way the author mixes the bad parts these families face with love and faith. This si a great collection, and I recommend it to everyone. It is easy to read, and the stories should appeal to everyone. I am glad I'm done reading it..just to avoid more tragic events befalling families the reader becomes attached to. This story shows both the horrid parts of humanity, as well as the best and leads the reader to think about their own beliefs and actions ...more
Amanda
Nov 23, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book was amazing! I love how the stories are woven together and how pieces of information are left out until they really matter. This is a book with a message and it comes across loud and clear about the importance of family and standing up for what you believe.

I will admit to being angry with David during a few parts of this book but in the end I have to give him my respect. Maryanne is an amazing woman who goes through tragedy after tragedy and emerges a wise, graceful woman. How many pe
Pat Williams
Jan 25, 2016 Pat Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Paul Evans has a way with words! There are three stories within this book, all revolving around MaryAnn Chandler Parkin. "The Christmas Box", "The Timepiece", and "The Letter". The first written was "The Christmas Box"... and is an interesting Christmas story. The following two stories are pre-quils of a sort - with additional character building and introduction of new characters. Surprisingly, the second two stories include the issue of racism! Not something I expected in a Christmas se ...more
10-11 Alia
Dec 18, 2010 10-11 Alia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, fiction
This book is a very sad book, It is about a girl that needs a job and becomes a nanny. She figures out that her boss is sick and there is no cure for the tumor she has so they are all in trouble and they do not no what to do. This is is a really good book hope you can read it if you haven't!
Alia Adi.
Linda Husvar
Dec 13, 2014 Linda Husvar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this trilogy very somber and poignant. Mary Anne and David rose from poverty to wealth during desperate Depression Era years. David's fight against racism and ignorance cost their family dearly. I liked the character development during death, grief, separation, and losses. The three books were full of symbolism and irony. They were thought-provoking, but not an easy read. Nonetheless, they were worth the time needed to read the complete set.
Jenifer
Apr 18, 2012 Jenifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How, oh how, have I overlooked these books in my Goodreads lists? At the time that I read this series, I really appreciated the author's simple, yet beautiful, narrative style. It isn't that he is particularly articulate, but that I like the way he states the simple in a beautiful way. The stories are sweet, and if a little contrived, forgivably so. Wonderful books to relax with and enjoy a journey.
Gabrielle
Oct 03, 2012 Gabrielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read The Christmas Box collection every year since I was in junior high. Its a tradiion for me every year in December to read the books. They are amazing books and the story is unforgettable. Its a must read for someone who likes to read christmas books. However The timepiece an The letter are not christmasy. These books are a must read for someone who likes to get sucked in to a story so amazing. Throughout the years the story has never let me go.
Who is exsited for christmas?!?! 1 3 Oct 23, 2011 08:21AM
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Promise (Christmas Hope, #4)
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Christmas Revels
  • Cajun Night Before Christmas(r)
  • By My Side: From This Day / Temptation
  • A Cup of Christmas Tea
  • The Gift of Christmas Present
  • Forgotten Carols: A Christmas Story & Songbook (Book Only)
  • Sweet Christmas Kisses: Fourteen Sweet Christmas Romances
  • The Snow Angel
  • Christmas Wishes
  • Christmas Jars Reunion
  • Miss Kane's Christmas
  • The Quiet Little Woman: Tilly's Christmas, Rosa's Tale : Three Enchanting Christmas Stories
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • The Christmas Tree
When Richard Paul Evans wrote the #1 best-seller, The Christmas Box, he never intended on becoming an internationally known author. His quiet story of parental love and the true meaning of Christmas made history when it became simultaneously the #1 hardcover and paperback book in the nation. Since then, more than eight million copies of The Christmas Box have been printed. He has since written ele ...more
More about Richard Paul Evans...

The Christmas Box Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Christmas Box (The Christmas Box, #1)
  • Timepiece (The Christmas Box, #2)
  • The Letter (The Christmas Box, #3)