Start by marking “Gooney Bird and the Room Mother” as Want to Read:
Gooney Bird and the Room Mother

Gooney Bird and the Room Mother (Gooney Bird Greene #2)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Gooney Bird Greene likes to be right smack in the middle of everything. That's why she wants to have the lead role of Squanto in her class Thanksgiving pageant. But that role will go to whoever finds someone to be the room mother. All the parents are so busy, no one can bring cupcakes to the play. Gooney Bird Greene to the rescue! She finds a room mother alright, but promi ...more
Published July 11th 2006 by Yearling (first published 2005)

(NS)Jennifer Reiner
In Mrs. Pidgeon's second grade class, the Thanksgiving pageant will be coming up shortly. The class does not have a room mother. Each student has a reason for why their mother is unable to help out. The principal is becoming very impatient. Gooney Bird Greene comes to the rescue as she is once again right smack in the middle of everything!

It's a mystery as to who the room mother will be, but Gooney Bird is on the search and has an idea. Will the room mother arrive in time for the Thanksgiving da
Annie
Gooney Bird and the Room Mother is a transitional reader for children who are past short chapter books, but not ready for full length novels. This story is about a second grade classroom who is preparing for a Thanksgiving celebration. They still do not have a room mother, and so Gooney Bird goes about finding one for the class.

The story is fairly well written. It took me a while to realize that every time a new chapter started, it was a different day. At first I was very confused by the transit
VerJean
3/19/2014
ENNUI - the feeling that comes with wearing matching socks, as described by Gooney Bird Greene.
Oh, how I can relate to that!!!!
Or a made-bed before 8:00 a.m. or Heaven forbid, ALL my laundry done - including the hand-washables. OR bills paid early. OR a docile hubby!!
Who expected such deep psyche probing from a 2nd grade book??
But the matching socks analogy is appropriate for why I'm living in Hampshire, in Michigan, and with measurable chaos.
Boredom is the beast in the back of the clo
Annette
My girls really enjoy Gooney Bird Greene because she's so entertaining. I enjoy her because she teaches English skills. In this one, she teaches the importance of learning how to use a dictionary and Mrs. Pigeon's class learns some new vocabulary words. I loved the surprise ending!
Alondra Munoz
I decided to read this book based off of the previous book I had read by this author, considering I liked that other book I though I would give this one a try. Last week’s book taught the lesson of being unique and this book teaches kids different vocabulary words, which I think would make a great read aloud book during the Thanksgiving season. This book is about Gooney Bird getting ready to do the pageant of the First Thanksgiving. While getting ready for the play they stumble upon a little pro ...more
Vivienne
Hi There!
Alright, my message: I love "Gooney Bird and the Room Mother"! Gooney Bird is hilarious. So is her class! I love how Gooney Bird always uses big words, and all the children pull out their dictionaries as the word is being written on the chalkboard, and the definition is given. Gooney Bird is very clever an can pull almost anything off! Gooney Bird always acts like the head of whatever is going on, (and the others follow along with it,) and she does a FABULOUS job doing it. I definitely
Edward Creter
The irrepressible, loudly dressed second grade wunderkind ooney Bird Greene is back! Today's episode finds her and the class prepping for Turkey Day and everyone's clucking searching for a room mother to make refreshments while the teacher mis-sings Moon River as a Thankgiving song. That is wrong. It's no way to honor Henry Mancini! Buuut...Gooney Bird is as engaging as ever, and even in her odd world, there's still "such a lotta world to see"!
george
The second grade class at Watertower Elementary School is putting on a Thanksgiving pageant. Everyone in the class wants to be Squanto, but especially Gooney Bird Greene, because Gooney Bird Greene always wants to be in the middle of everything. The second grade class has a problem, though--they can't find a room mother anywhere and are the only class in the whole school without one. So the teacher makes a deal with the students: whoever can find a room mother for the class will get the role of ...more
Julie
I read this to my 7-year-old daughters. We all enjoyed it and we loved the first Gooney Bird book too. I really liked how Lowry weaved vocabulary into the story. A few of the words the girls were introduced to: cajoled, ennui, and incognito. I highly recommend this book for young readers!
Dolly
Jan 01, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We've read two books in the Gooney Bird Greene series and we really enjoyed them. We will be borrowing the third book soon and we hope that Lois Lowry writes more.

I love that the story encourages looking up new words in a dictionary and further demonstrates good techniques for telling (or writing) stories. The fact that Gooney Bird took a trip to the library in this story was a plus for me as well. The mystery of the identity of the room mother is interesting and although I knew who it was (I h
Marcia
This was a fun story to read. Unfortunately, I saw the last illustration in the story and it spoiled the ending for me! I enjoyed all the spelling word exercises throughout the story. The ending was great—Gooney Bird did a wonderful job saving the pageant from being a “FIASCO”—“A total failure.” Her storytelling, woven with spelling words and definitions was original and expressive. Lois Lowry uses an appropriate style of writing for a transitional book. The typeface is large and easy to read. I ...more
Jcc
I loved this book and I recommend it for anyone. Though, it is not as good as the original...
Jenna
Another really cute Gooney Bird book... my youngest daughter enjoyed it so much that after I read her the ebook, she wanted to check the hard copy out from the library to read it again herself.
Kathy
Excellent!
Deb
Mar 22, 2014 Deb marked it as to-read
J
Karen
Another great book from Lois Lowry in the Gooney Bird Greene series. Mrs Pidgeon offers a plum acting role to whoever finds a Room Mother, as no one has volunteered. Gooney Bird excuses herself to make a phone call, and comes back to announce that she has a Room Mother, called Mrs X. Mrs X's identity is only uncovered at the end of the book, and it is a lovely surprise.
Rachael
I read this with my six year old and we both loved it. Gooney Bird is such a fun character, and we like getting to know a bit more about her classmates in this installment of the series. My favorite thing is how the kids are always looking up new words in the dictionary and enriching their vocabularies. It reminds me of my dear grandmother. :)
Meredith
If you want your kids to ace the GRE, it's best to start them early. In this book, Gooney Bird gets them off to a good start, teaching great words like "ennui" and "indefatigable". It's a sweet little story, too, though I feel sometimes that Gooney Bird is a bit too awesome and I wish the other kids had a bit more of a chance to shine.
Karen
Sep 21, 2011 Karen added it
Shelves: upper-grades
Would love to use for older, reluctant readers but the overall size of the book will probably prevent it. Read only half of it, but find the story and main character appealing. I think this would be a good addition to the school's collection.
Haim
Gooney Bird loves being the center of attention. I liked how Lois Lowry added new vocabulary words as a way to learn new words. The teacher has a lot of patience with Gooney Bird and the rest of the second grade class.
Carol Royce Owen
Another in the Gooney Bird series. In this one the students are preparing for their Thanksgiving celebration and worrying about who will be their room mother. But, Gooney Bird to the rescue.
Molly
This is a very sweet book. Great for girls that like Fancy Nancy but want to move up to chapter books. Gooney has a great vocabulary and is very happy showing off her own unique style!
Peter
Excellent addition to the young-girl-at-school genre, Gooney Bird is a smart and independent free-spirit who keeps her class on their toes. Great read-aloud for 6-10, read-alone for 8-11.
Christa
Again - we read this over the summer as a family. It's still got the fun unique qualities as the 1st book, but with other main themes. So fun!
Angela Ferrari
This is such a favorite of my children. Her mischievous good deeds are a great read aloud.
Themes- helping, being yourself, school pride
Trish
My favorite of the 3 books - I actually did NOT see the end coming! But I loved it, loved it, loved it!
Janell
thought this might be a good classroom read-aloud - but no. not even half as good as the first one.
Jenn
Just as good if not better than the original. I loved the ending. Not sure if Lucy got it.
Jeri
Gooney strikes again with more vocabulary and suspense. We loved the surprise ending.
Vic
Great story. Lovable characters!
Creative!
I can't wait for more Gooney Bird stories!
  • How Many Days to America?: A Thanksgiving Story
  • Brand New School, Brave New Ruby (Ruby And The Booker Boys)
  • Ruby Lu, Empress of Everything
  • Thanksgiving Turkey Trouble (Ready, Freddy!, #15)
  • Ticket Trouble (Nancy Drew and the Clue Crew, #10)
  • Gracias The Thanksgiving Turkey
  • The Year of Miss Agnes
  • You Wouldn't Want to Be a Roman Gladiator! (You Wouldn't Want To)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • Summer School! What Genius Thought That Up?
  • The Same Stuff as Stars
  • Gooseberry Park
  • Freedom on the Menu: The Greensboro Sit-Ins
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • The Firekeeper's Son
  • Skylark (Sarah, Plain and Tall #2)
  • Vote for Suzanne (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, Super Special)
  • Looking for Bobowicz: A Hoboken Chicken Story
Taken from Lowry's website:
"I’ve always felt that I was fortunate to have been born the middle child of three. My older sister, Helen, was very much like our mother: gentle, family-oriented, eager to please. Little brother Jon was the only boy and had interests that he shared with Dad; together they were always working on electric trains and erector sets; and later, when Jon was older, they always
More about Lois Lowry...

Gooney Bird Greene (5 books)
  • Gooney Bird Greene
  • Gooney the Fabulous
  • Gooney Bird Is So Absurd
  • Gooney Bird on the Map
The Giver (The Giver, #1) Number the Stars Gathering Blue (The Giver, #2) Messenger (The Giver, #3) Son (The Giver Quartet, #4)