Goodreads helps you keep track of books you want to read.
Start by marking “The Art of Being Kind” as Want to Read:
The Art of Being Kind
Enlarge cover
Rate this book
Clear rating
Open Preview

The Art of Being Kind

3.39  ·  Rating Details ·  259 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Einhorn believes it is the single most important factor in achieving success and satisfaction. Contrary to the cynical axiom, “nice guys finished last,” Einhorn makes the case that being a good person can make you happier, richer, more successful and fulfilled. Kindness is not always easy to put into practice—in all of life’s dilemmas, we calculate, whether consciously or ...more
Hardcover, 212 pages
Published October 1st 2007 by Pegasus (first published 2005)
More Details... edit details

Friend Reviews

To see what your friends thought of this book, please sign up.

Reader Q&A

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Being Kind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Being Kind

This book is not yet featured on Listopia. Add this book to your favorite list »

Community Reviews

(showing 1-30)
filter  |  sort: default (?)  |  Rating Details
Jyow
Nov 15, 2008 Jyow rated it really liked it
This book attempts to explore the concept of being kind from a philosophical/ethical and humanistic dimension and I think it has succeeded because it was written from "the heart".
I particularly like the idea of the author introducing another form of intelligence - ethical intelligence which indicates the capacity for doing good.
This is not a Teach Yourself book on how to be kind and therefore, the title is unfortunately somewhat misleading . In fact, when I first shown it to a friend, her immed
...more
Katie Bullock
Jan 04, 2010 Katie Bullock rated it liked it
Wish my in-laws would read it.
Nancy
Sep 17, 2013 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: spiritual, nonfiction
okay. in places it is quite interesting, other times very cliche.
E.G. Jönsson
Aug 07, 2014 E.G. Jönsson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stefan Einhorn är inte perfekt. Han kan vara smått skavande med sin förnumstiga inläsning, alla sina manliga författare och referenser, och sin förkärlek för att referera, ofta, ofta, till den judeo-kristna traditionen och andra världskriget. Men det spelar faktiskt ingen roll. Han är vettig och jag känner mig som en rikare människa av att ha läst/lyssnat på hans bok. De etiska och filosofiska teser han driver är sunda, och han bjuder på sin egen personliga utveckling på ett beundransvärt sätt. ...more
Sarah Hurd
Aug 17, 2012 Sarah Hurd rated it liked it
This book mostly consisted of examples of different kinds of "Kindness" instead of really delving into the actions you should take to be a more kind person. I guess it's just my own idea of what I thought the book would be about. Not what I was expecting and didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.
Kate
Jul 24, 2008 Kate rated it really liked it
This book made me think about interactions that you have with people everyday, like family and friends, as well as strangers. It made me realize that one simple act can influence how others will react and so forth. Plus, the more kindness you give off the more will be returned. I borrowed this book from the library but think it would be a good reference book to own and refer back to.
Marius
May 13, 2011 Marius rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The single principle upon which hinges a human, social being is its flair for kindness, but a lack of knowledge can lead the same being to be unkind. Confucius and Einhorn believe in this; and I share their belief.
Göran
Jul 22, 2008 Göran added it
Kort sammanfattning: Snäll = att handla etiskt. Snällhet och egenintresse är inte motsatser. Man mår bra av att vara snäll. Det är inte tanken som räknas.
Marc
May 28, 2017 Marc rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bibliotheek
Inspirerend boek!
Joni Kettunen
Jun 29, 2013 Joni Kettunen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ajatteleville ihmisille ja kilteille ihmisille
Aidosti kiltti kertoo elämän valinnasta.

Miksi kannattaa olla kiltti ja mitä siitä voi hyötyä?

Kirja käsittelee monipuolisesti kiltteyden hyötyjä, rajoitteita ja aiheeseen liittyviä tutkimustuloksia. Välittömiä hyötyjä löytyy lähipiiristä. Kiltit ihmiset saavat helposti kaikkea hyvää, se heijastuu. Kiltteys ei kuitenkaan tarkoita sitä, että antaa muiden kävellä ylitseen. Rajoitteena nousee esiin ihmisen moraali. Jos päättää elää kilttinä, niin muiden ihmisten hyväksikäyttäminen jää pois keinopale
...more
Robert Vlach
Jan 03, 2014 Robert Vlach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Výjimečně zajímavá a podnětná kniha o etice v osobním i pracovním životě, plná příběhů i praktických rad, jak rozvíjet etickou inteligenci v běžných situacích. Autor, Stefan Einhorn, je ve Švédsku profesorem molekulární onkologie, primářem onkologické kliniky a předsedou etické rady při Karolinska Institutet. Největší předností knihy je asi její srozumitelnost pro širší čtenářskou veřejnost. Přes svou jednoduchost má text hloubku a poskytl mi dost podnětů k zamyšlení. Mohu dokonce říci, že s tak ...more
Denise Faulkner
Apr 13, 2013 Denise Faulkner rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, engaging, interesting and speaks to the condition of the human heart. Particularly of interest are the behaviour of our closest relatives, the apes, and the group examples of behaviour so close to our own. It was well researched, as the author stated, no one, to his knowledge has written a book advocating kindness. Stefan as not afraid of citing examples of other unkind human behaviour of others, and with dignity, teaches us to rise above this and choose to be kind, not least ...more
Jeanine Marie Swenson
Aug 14, 2009 Jeanine Marie Swenson rated it really liked it

Dr. Einhorn develops the idea that, indeed, kindness, compassion and empathy are some of the highest and most evolved human feelings. Starting with internally ethics and morals, he works outward to show how these values can strengthen and empower individuals, families and communities. Despite many of the spoken and unspoken messages of our culture that seem to be reinforcing aggression, selfish behavior and short-term pleasure, Dr. Einhorn develops this idea that it is kindness and taking the pe
...more
Marita
Dec 11, 2010 Marita rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book I received as a gift from an old lost fiend I reconnected after 26yr, Thanks to Facebook :). So my version was actually in Finnish called: Aidosti Kiltti (Genuinely Nice). I always hear what a doggie eat dog kind of a world we live in but this book by a very successful Swedish doctor and researcher shows us that actually kindness brings on more kindness, happiness and fulfillment both in personal as well as in professional level into a person's life. Very refreshing vi ...more
Paul
Jan 16, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een boek met een zeer wijze les. Hoewel ik het hier en daar niet helemaal eens met met de aangevoerde redenaties, onderschrijf ik zeker de eindconclusie. Vind het ook erg mooi hoe de schrijver er in slaagt verschillende geloven en levensovertuigingen mee te nemen in zijn uitleg, zonder daar (voor zover mijn kennis daarover reikt) inhoudelijk een oordeel over te vellen, maar juist een positief geluid laat horen.
Khalid
Apr 05, 2008 Khalid rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: already-read
This books aims at telling you how to be a kind person. While it was enjoyable to read, I did not find this book to be addressing the issue exactly. The author seemed to be beating around the bush often, and his stories were not always so relevant. Still though, I believe it was worth reading, and the value it adds is appreciated. I hope I can be a kinder person now!
Krishna Kumar
May 04, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it really liked it
This is primarily an ethics book discussing the concept of kindness in various situations. It attempts to explain what true kindness is and also explores situations where people create harm by assuming what they do is a kind act. The author tries to look at kindness in different cultures, but it is not given sufficiently good treatment. Overall, a good book.
Kevin Chavis
Mar 24, 2010 Kevin Chavis rated it really liked it
I was very disturbed after reading a book about so-called "rational" people. Some of the research was just unfathomable, and I could not realize most of humanity could be so cruel, uncaring, and selfish. ( or rational ) I found this book to restore my view, and will strive to be kind because it IS rational!
Kevin Chavis
Dec 27, 2008 Kevin Chavis rated it really liked it
I was very disturbed after reading a book about so-called "rational" people. Some of the research was just unfathomable, and I could not realize most of humanity could be so cruel, uncaring, and selfish. ( or rational ) I found this book to restore my view, and will strive to be kind because it IS rational!
Alison
Oct 13, 2011 Alison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Specious, anecdotal drivel.
Matilda
Feb 06, 2014 Matilda rated it liked it
Interesting, and important.
Jessie
Aug 13, 2008 Jessie rated it liked it
It was an enjoyable enough of a book. This would be a good book for the rude people you encounter on a daily basis :)
Kimberly
interesting and affirming.
Emelie
Aug 13, 2014 Emelie rated it really liked it
Surprisingly interesting. I got this book from my sister last year and it's been gathering dust up until recently. I definitely don't regret reading it.
Jarkko Laine
Nov 25, 2009 Jarkko Laine rated it it was ok
A nice book about being nice :)

Easy to approach and read, but maybe because of that lacks a bit in depth.
Kristian Norling
Jul 28, 2012 Kristian Norling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bra bok om om något som vi alla borde blir bättre på att vara, snäll, och generös.
Himanikashyapshreedhar
Thought-provoking. No theatrics and over-the-top claims. There is something fresh and heart-warming in its simple, direct, restrained presentation of the facts.
Antjas
Oct 29, 2015 Antjas rated it it was ok
This review has been hidden because it contains spoilers. To view it, click here.
Carol
Sep 19, 2010 Carol rated it liked it
so far I am enjoying this book, kind of like taking a philosophy course
Hanna Nordqvist
Hanna Nordqvist rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next »
There are no discussion topics on this book yet. Be the first to start one »
  • Two Lipsticks and a Lover
  • Jag vill inte dö, jag vill bara inte leva
  • The Alternate Asimovs
  • Vyssan Lull (Hammarbyserien #3)
  • Clueless in Tokyo: An Explorer's Sketchbook of Weird and Wonderful Things in Japan
  • 365 Ways To Change the World: How to Make a Difference-- One Day at a Time
  • Women Have All the Power...Too Bad They Don't Know It: Secrets Every Man's Daughter Should Know
  • Nigella Lawson: A Biography
  • God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
  • Power of No: Because One Little Word Can Bring Health, Abundance and Happiness
  • Che Guevara
  • Visual Aid: Stuff You've Forgotten, Things You Never Thought You Knew, and Lessons You Didn't Quite Get Around to Learning
  • Sade: A Biography
  • Do Your Om Thing: Bending Yoga Tradition to Fit Your Modern Life
  • Från Holmes till Sherlock
  • Letting Go: A Parents' Guide to Understanding the College Years
  • Metaphysical Horror
  • Victorian Fairy Tales: The Revolt of the Fairies and Elves
719906
Stefan Einhorn is a professor of molecular oncology at Karolinska Institutet and a medical doctor specialised in oncology. He is also the chairman of the ethics counsil at Karolinska Institutet. He has written several very popular books on science and philosophy, such as The Art of Being Kind and The Concealed God.
More about Stefan Einhorn...

Share This Book