The Art of Being Kind

The Art of Being Kind

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Einhorn believes it is the single most important factor in achieving success and satisfaction. Contrary to the cynical axiom, “nice guys finished last,” Einhorn makes the case that being a good person can make you happier, richer, more successful and fulfilled. Kindness is not always easy to put into practice—in all of life’s dilemmas, we calculate, whether consciously or...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Pegasus (first published 2005)

Jyow
This book attempts to explore the concept of being kind from a philosophical/ethical and humanistic dimension and I think it has succeeded because it was written from "the heart".
I particularly like the idea of the author introducing another form of intelligence - ethical intelligence which indicates the capacity for doing good.
This is not a Teach Yourself book on how to be kind and therefore, the title is unfortunately somewhat misleading . In fact, when I first shown it to a friend, her immed...more
Kate
This book made me think about interactions that you have with people everyday, like family and friends, as well as strangers. It made me realize that one simple act can influence how others will react and so forth. Plus, the more kindness you give off the more will be returned. I borrowed this book from the library but think it would be a good reference book to own and refer back to.
Sarah Hurd
This book mostly consisted of examples of different kinds of "Kindness" instead of really delving into the actions you should take to be a more kind person. I guess it's just my own idea of what I thought the book would be about. Not what I was expecting and didn't enjoy it as much as I had hoped.
NC
okay. in places it is quite interesting, other times very cliche.
Katie Bullock
Wish my in-laws would read it.
Joni Kettunen
Jun 29, 2013 Joni Kettunen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ajatteleville ihmisille ja kilteille ihmisille
Aidosti kiltti kertoo elämän valinnasta.

Miksi kannattaa olla kiltti ja mitä siitä voi hyötyä?

Kirja käsittelee monipuolisesti kiltteyden hyötyjä, rajoitteita ja aiheeseen liittyviä tutkimustuloksia. Välittömiä hyötyjä löytyy lähipiiristä. Kiltit ihmiset saavat helposti kaikkea hyvää, se heijastuu. Kiltteys ei kuitenkaan tarkoita sitä, että antaa muiden kävellä ylitseen. Rajoitteena nousee esiin ihmisen moraali. Jos päättää elää kilttinä, niin muiden ihmisten hyväksikäyttäminen jää pois keinopale...more
Denise Faulkner
I loved this book, engaging, interesting and speaks to the condition of the human heart. Particularly of interest are the behaviour of our closest relatives, the apes, and the group examples of behaviour so close to our own. It was well researched, as the author stated, no one, to his knowledge has written a book advocating kindness. Stefan as not afraid of citing examples of other unkind human behaviour of others, and with dignity, teaches us to rise above this and choose to be kind, not least...more
Jeanine Marie Swenson

Dr. Einhorn develops the idea that, indeed, kindness, compassion and empathy are some of the highest and most evolved human feelings. Starting with internally ethics and morals, he works outward to show how these values can strengthen and empower individuals, families and communities. Despite many of the spoken and unspoken messages of our culture that seem to be reinforcing aggression, selfish behavior and short-term pleasure, Dr. Einhorn develops this idea that it is kindness and taking the pe...more
Marita
Absolutely loved this book I received as a gift from an old lost fiend I reconnected after 26yr, Thanks to Facebook :). So my version was actually in Finnish called: Aidosti Kiltti (Genuinely Nice). I always hear what a doggie eat dog kind of a world we live in but this book by a very successful Swedish doctor and researcher shows us that actually kindness brings on more kindness, happiness and fulfillment both in personal as well as in professional level into a person's life. Very refreshing vi...more
Matilda
Interesting, and important.
Khalid
This books aims at telling you how to be a kind person. While it was enjoyable to read, I did not find this book to be addressing the issue exactly. The author seemed to be beating around the bush often, and his stories were not always so relevant. Still though, I believe it was worth reading, and the value it adds is appreciated. I hope I can be a kinder person now!
Kevin Chavis
I was very disturbed after reading a book about so-called "rational" people. Some of the research was just unfathomable, and I could not realize most of humanity could be so cruel, uncaring, and selfish. ( or rational ) I found this book to restore my view, and will strive to be kind because it IS rational!
Kevin Chavis
Marius
The single principle upon which hinges a human, social being is its flair for kindness, but a lack of knowledge can lead the same being to be unkind. Confucius and Einhorn believe in this; and I share their belief.
Himanikashyapshreedhar
Thought-provoking. No theatrics and over-the-top claims. There is something fresh and heart-warming in its simple, direct, restrained presentation of the facts.
Göran
Jul 23, 2008 Göran added it
Kort sammanfattning: Snäll = att handla etiskt. Snällhet och egenintresse är inte motsatser. Man mår bra av att vara snäll. Det är inte tanken som räknas.
Jessie
It was an enjoyable enough of a book. This would be a good book for the rude people you encounter on a daily basis :)
Jarkko Laine
A nice book about being nice :)

Easy to approach and read, but maybe because of that lacks a bit in depth.
Kristian Norling
Bra bok om om något som vi alla borde blir bättre på att vara, snäll, och generös.
Carol
so far I am enjoying this book, kind of like taking a philosophy course
Stefanie Tydén
en bok som alla människor skulle få läsa ;-)
Alison
Specious, anecdotal drivel.
Kimberly
interesting and affirming.
Desirée Ek
Desirée Ek is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
719906
Stefan Einhorn is a professor of molecular oncology at Karolinska Institutet and a medical doctor specialised in oncology. He is also the chairman of the ethics counsil at Karolinska Institutet. He has written several very popular books on science and philosophy, such as The Art of Being Kind and The Concealed God.
More about Stefan Einhorn...
Änglarnas svar Medmänniskor The Seventh Day Vägar till visdom A Concealed God: Religion, Science, and the Search for Truth