Start by marking “Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling” as Want to Read:
Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling

Wonder Woman, Vol. 4: Destiny Calling (Wonder Woman II #4)

Combining inventive storytelling and breathtaking artwork, WONDER WOMAN: GODS AND MORTALS masterfully reinvigorates the legend of the world's original warrior princess. In this volume, the origin and early history of Wonder Woman are retold in order to update the birth and rise of the Amazons' greatest champion. When Ares, the god of war, devises a plot to overthrow the Gr ...more
Published June 21st 2006 by DC Comics (first published December 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Wonder Woman, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wonder Woman, Vol. 4

Wonder Woman, Vol. 1 by Brian AzzarelloWonder Woman by Greg RuckaWonder Woman, Vol. 2 by Brian AzzarelloWonder Woman by J. Michael StraczynskiWonder Woman, Vol. 1 by George Pérez
Best of Wonder Woman
25th out of 80 books — 47 voters
Watchmen by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Alan MooreBatman by Jeph Loeb
Best of DC Comics
96th out of 226 books — 110 voters

More lists with this book...

Sesana
Aug 28, 2012 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
This is the last of the George Perez piloted Wonder Woman, or at least the last that's been collected in trades. I really enjoyed his perspective on the character, and the heavily mythological backing she had here. And the art is beautiful, of course.
Jerry
Nov 27, 2015 Jerry rated it liked it
The Good: Modern comics can be fun, but, old-school ones tend to be a blast. The art style of these comics made them more enjoyable, and Wonder Woman finds herself in some insane situations in these comics. This volume has some fun moments, but...

The Bad: It also can be downright dull at times. One long comic in particular is especially boring. Fans of DC Comics' top superheroine might be disappointed by this, even if it is a "classic" volume. Plus, some profanity, sexual references, and sultry
Ang
Sep 27, 2016 Ang rated it really liked it
Destiny Calling is the fourth volume of George Perez' Wonder Woman series.

It begins with the investigation into Myndi Mayers' death. Sadly, it was the form of a white powder that killed her and not the nefarious Skeeter LaRue, but he did end up getting what he deserved. It's just a sad ending to Myndi's story. In the following chapter, the Gods of Olympus reveal their plans to Wonder Woman, Hippolyte, and Menalippe about their plan for 'cosmic migration' and how they need Wonder Woman to help t
Todd
A nice finish to the relaunched Wonder Woman by George Pérez. There's plenty of places to take it, but it has a nice finality to it at the same time.

It's funny how different Wonder Woman is here than she has become in more modern takes. She's a little more willing to be the Warrior Princess recently. Her she fights very hard to not kill her enemies. Later on she will comment on her lack of Rogues by stating that she takes care of them.

These are great comics and I love the fact that not every iss
Robert
Mar 15, 2012 Robert rated it did not like it
Pandering, Simplistic, Inconsistent crap.
M
Jun 18, 2012 M rated it did not like it
George Perez can draw. His images of Wonder Woman are iconic interpretations of the character; sadly, this volume's only redeeming quality is his art. Dealing with the Grecian pantheon, Wonder Woman finds herself torn between personal responsibilities in Boston and familial duties on Paradise Island. As the she attempts to reconcile both, Hermes continues to show up and meddle in everything. The majority of this tome seems to deal with the fallout of a battle with Ares and the build-up of Vaness ...more
Jeff Raymond
Reading this volume of Wonder Woman, you start to wonder if this is around where Perez got removed from the project, and whether it was actually his choice. So bogged down in mythology that, having read ahead, has very little to do with the future of the series and so so dull until the very end, which almost feels thrown together in a "well, Wonder Woman has to do something heroic, right?" kind of way...

I'm a huge Wonder Woman booster, but it's no wonder people struggle with her as a character w
Kathleen Loucks
Apr 21, 2015 Kathleen Loucks rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this series by George Perez. He returned to the roots of WW and told some entertaining stories.
Jena
Dec 23, 2013 Jena rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I can see why it's so beloved, but for me the Pérez run is a little too bogged down in the mythology aspect. Which is weird, because I'm a huge fan of Greek mythology. I guess it's just because I'm more interested in WW's character and her relationships than I am with her devotion to the gods. The art is nice, the writing is generally very good, and it can serve as a good introduction to WW. For me, though, the focus on Olympus made it a chore at times to get through.
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 Nicolas rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I guess I just don't get this George Perez run. I know it's classic and all that, but I just don't like it. It's split between Diana hanging out with a mother/daughter duo and melodramatic Amazon stuff. On top of that they are so narration heavy. Just not what I'm looking for. I want to see Wonder Woman being Wonder Woman, not just a naive goddess. I want her to fight bad guys and be cool. This is not for me.
Amanda
Mar 13, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
This was my least favorite of the Perez trades..
Eric Mikols
Jul 08, 2013 Eric Mikols rated it liked it
Shelves: wonder-woman
I've enjoyed most of George Perez's run, but this volume just left me bored. There's little that happens and even the Greek adventure fails to spark interest. The art is gorgeous as ever, but I think Perez was losing his direction of the plot.
Variaciones Enrojo
Quinto taco recopilatorio de Wonder Woman - La Mujer Maravilla. Contiene los números 16 a 20 de esta colección.
Es el último tomo español de esta etapa cuyo contenido se ve más o menos reflejado en un recopilatorio estadounidense.
Peter
Feb 06, 2016 Peter rated it really liked it
There was a great storyline about the difference between being Diana Prince and being Wonder Woman, and all that those persona entail. Not too much cosmic nonsense.
Robin
Jun 16, 2007 Robin rated it really liked it
Shelves: comicbook
The last of the Perez run, and I was sad to see it go. Not the best of his work, and several small storylines rather than one arc, but still quite entertaining.
Lydia
Jul 13, 2008 Lydia rated it it was amazing
Why it says I read it in 1987: I own the first 60 something first printing issues of the George Perez run and treasure them heart breakingly.
Juan Jose
Aug 10, 2011 Juan Jose rated it really liked it
Excellent run!
Kathryn
Kathryn rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
Ara_82
Ara_82 marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Kiên Hoàng
Kiên Hoàng rated it it was ok
Sep 11, 2016
Mila Suassuna
Mila Suassuna marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Chuck Childers
Chuck Childers rated it it was amazing
Aug 29, 2016
EJ
EJ marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Viv
Viv marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Nina
Nina marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2016
Sheila Allen
Sheila Allen rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2016
  • Wonder Woman: Land of the Dead
  • Wonder Woman: Paradise Found
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 5: Rise of the Olympian
  • Wonder Woman: Lifelines
  • Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
  • Wonder Woman: The Contest
  • Wonder Woman: Mythos
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Who is Wonder Woman?
  • Wonder Woman: Amazons Attack!
  • Wonder Woman: Odyssey, Vol. 2
  • Wonder Woman
  • Justice League International, Vol. 4
  • Superman: Infinite Crisis
  • Superboy, Vol. 2: Extraction
George Pérez (born June 9, 1954) is an American writer and illustrator of comic books, known for his work on various titles, including Avengers, Teen Titans and Wonder Woman.
More about George Pérez...

Wonder Woman II (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals