Start by marking “The Dastard (Xanth, #24)” as Want to Read:
The Dastard (Xanth, #24)

The Dastard (Xanth #24)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  2,573 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Many malevolent menaces have imperiled the magical land of Xanth in its long and storied history. But none has been as despicably dangerous as the Dastard-a craven miscreant who sold his soul to a detestable demon for the power to erase events. Now the entire future of Xanth is at the mercy of his every whim. Only a young dragon-girl named Becka has the power to stop his d ...more
Published October 14th 2001 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Dastard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dastard

Paul Darcy
by Piers Anthony, published in 2000.

I can’t believe the Xanth series is now over 30 years old and that I have been reading it since the beginning. Well, if Fauns, Nymphs, puns a plenty and the sight of panties freaking men out is your cup of tea, hop on the Xanth train and party.

“The Dastard” is book 24 in the Xanth series which has well over 30 novels now and counting, and is everything you have come to expect if you have been reading along like I have. There is usually a quest to be performed
Jeremiah Johnson
This was a much better book than the previous few. It still had Ptero and it's stupid comic strips and geography, but thankfully not a lot of it.
I really liked the Dastard. He was a unique character whom unfortunately we likely won't see again.
The story was average for the series. More unnecessary adult themes that I still say aren't needed.
George Deoso
This is the very first full-length novel I ever finished, and I think I made no mistake for choosing this book to be the one.

When I was 1st year in high school we were asked to pick a book (any book) and do apply the usual summary/characters/settings/moral lesson shit our teachers love to burden us with. Prior to this, I have no interest in reading whatsoever, so this seems to be a task.

I picked this book up from a garage sale near our house for twenty pesos. Not bad for a near-pristine conditio
Xanth #24: The Dastard, by Piers Anthony

While most people in Xanth have a magic talent, many of the talents are minor - the "spot on the wall" variety. Usually only Magicians and Sorceress' have powerful talents, such as being able to transform any living creature into something else.

Anomy has a useless magic talent - the talent of stupid ideas. Frustrated by this, he sells his soul to a demon for a much more powerful talent - the ability to rewrite history. With his new talent and soulless sel
Nathan Johnson
I read many Xanth books as a preteen/teen. I loved them then.
Lately I have been going back and reading the whole series. On the whole I realize now that Piers Anthony is not the great writer I remember, but he is perfectly suited for young adult fiction.

This was actually the first book in some time that I really enjoyed. Certainly some aspects I do get tired of (comic strips are just a way to wedge in more reader suggested puns), but the plot of this particular book was quite fun to read.

No matt
When I read this book originally, I admit I was pretty confused. I hadn't at that time read the book about Ida's moons, so the whole concept of the switching of characters didn't really make much sense to me then, but I just went with it. Now though, reading through again I have more of an idea and can appreciate the concept.

I love the layers to Xanth, it is definitely an onion of a series. Just when you think you have it figured, something else crops up and changes everything. Awesome book, fiv
I absolutely love this author, I have been reading the Xanth series as I can find them, totally going out of order but it really doesnt seem to matter with this series, I love the Puns, they are so funny and give me a laugh whenever I come across one I wouldnt have thought of. I was glad that the Dastard did indeed become dashing in this book and hope he and the princess are very happy together!!!
Maybe I am just becoming bored with the entire series (I have read them all, starting with A Spell for Chameleon). At any rate, this seemed to me to be a repeat of an ongoing line, with very little variation. It did serve to remind me why I stopped eagerly looking forward to the next XANTH book around the time Ogre, Ogre came out.
While it is a lovely Xanth novel. I just wasn't feeling it. It kicked up a but more towards the end. But I want to hear more about characters I know about. Which at the moment aren't plenty. Too many new characters being introduced in a row for these last few books.
Joanna Hyde
I thought Piers Anthony had stopped writing Xanth novels and only recently managed to purchase this next book in the series. I am hooked again and enjoying reading these new old books that I missed. Xanth is the place I hide when I need a break from reality.
While this book did have a few redeeming qualities, due to a lack of editorial contribution I would not recommend.

My Rating System:
Xanth turned into the "same old, same old" long ago; apparently the author is just going through the alphabet. There were a few books I enjoyed earlier in the series, but after Dragon on a Pedestal, they just got old.
Debra Meyer
not sure why but seem to have a lot of trouble reading this one, had put it down for awhile due to life getting in the way and finally picked it back up recently and finished it off.
The puns were a bit on overload in this book, and the sexual tension and teases weren't as amusing as they were in previous books.
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. Ooh, the Dastard is a really bad boy, and the quest to bring him down has a wonderful ending.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Everyone needs to know where they fit in the world and what role they play. Sometimes you need an adventure to figure it out.
Forgot this book. Made me cry. Sooo sad. Despite the non-bad ending- kinda mediocre- this book made me feel sad. :(
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
This book certainly contains some dastardly deeds!!
It is a fun read I liked it. I did I did.
the story of a man who changes the world even though he was not who we wanted him to be
Back on form, I was getting a tad bored of Xanth, but this one restored my Xanthlove!
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Young adult 10-15
Seth Dearing
Seth Dearing marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2015
Michael marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Braeden Knerr
Braeden Knerr marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Myth-Fortunes (Myth Adventures, #19)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • Dragon and the Fair Maid of Kent
  • Mastered 2: Ten Tales of Sensual Surrender
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • Amber and Iron (Dragonlance: The Dark Disciple, #2)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth, #10)