Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground

Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  362 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Cinderella’s Big Score celebrates the contributions of punk’s oft-overlooked female artists, explores the latent—and not so latent—sexism of indie rock (so often thought of as the hallowed ground of progressive movements), and tells the story of how these women created spaces for themselves in a sometimes limited or exclusionary environment. The indie music world is litter...more
Published December 31st 2004 by Seal Press (first published December 10th 2004)

Christopher
Apr 25, 2007 Christopher rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: 12-year-old girls who think Avril Lavigne is "transgressive"
You know, I should rate this book higher.

I was excited because the book reads like a who's who of my favorite kool rock chicks, from Patti Smith to Kim Gordon to Peaches and everything in between.

I thought I was buying a book of interviews or in-depth profile articles.

Nothing of the sort.

This is essentially a primer. Hip Rock Ladies 101. Each chapter is devoted to a different underground rock chick, sharing the basics of their contributions to post-modern culture. Great if you are going through...more
Jess McCabe
This is a fleeting and quick exploration of women's punk history. Each musician only gets a page or two each, and Raha relies heavily (exclusively?) on media coverage and other people's books, rather than interviewing the women she profiles herself.

Not to say the result isn't revealing or interesting. But the book functions best as sort of extended sleeve notes/beginner's guide - look up the artists on spotify or whatever, and listen to a couple of tracks while reading Raha's brief overview for...more
Therese
Maria Raha celebrates the contributions women have made to the punk and indie music scene over the past three decades, while also exploring the unsurprising amount of sexism and prejudice they fought against. I love this book simply because it exists as a kind of love letter to many of the women who inspired me to assert myself creatively and changed the way I saw the world, as well as exposing me to different types of music, art, and literature that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise.

Whic...more
Johanna
So I finished this several weeks ago and finally feel ready to write a review. I read it as background research for an exhibit I'm working on.

Mostly, I liked it. Like Raha, I'm a fan of a lot of the women in this book, and it was really fun to read a little deeper into their histories and art.

That said, the academic in me often got frustrated with the writing. At least Raha states at the outset of the book that she's a fan and that in the writing of the book she found it very hard to maintain an...more
Katie
It seems like all reviews of this book either fall into the "Wow! This book taught me so much!" category or the "I already knew all of this stuff why am I reading this?" category. For me, it was the latter.

As others have stated, I was under the impression I was going to be getting a bunch of new information/interviews about artists I've loved forever. Rather, every chapter was more like a slimmed-down Wikipedia entry, all of which can be summed up with something along the lines of "Her powerful...more
Yasmeen Zahzah
A lot of reviews have criticized this book for being more of a sampler than an in-depth examination of women in music, which is undeniably true: a deeper, more thorough examination of each artist (including interviews) would have been excellent. However, this criticism may be attributed to the fact that the history women in music is something we cannot get enough of!
I do think the book did an excellent job of addressing and explaining the hypocrisy of the punk movement in its introduction/prefac...more
Obisbooks
Looks at the famous and not so famous women musicians who found their own place in the punk/indie underground. The book looks at the music scene from the 1970’s to early 2000’s and the women who made music on their own terms. Bands like Bikini Kill, The Runaways, the Slits, Wendy O. Williams and the Plasmatics, Lunachicks, Tribe 8 and The Gossip fought and succeeded in playing the music they wanted to play and played with the notions of femininity in the music world. Not all of the bands succeed...more
Kristen
I enjoyed reading this book because it reminded me (though I hardly need to be reminded) why I love most of these influential musicians. I didn't really learn anything new though. As most people have stated, it reads like a sampler—an introduction to punk and indie's heroines—especially for those of us who want more depth, interviews, and the like. By all means, hand it to someone who has limited knowledge about this sort of thing, but if you're pretty seasoned in the world of punk and indie, th...more
Caroline
I didn't really love the quality of the writing or analysis in this book, but it's a good overview, particularly if you're like me and had managed to overlook an awful lot of these artists (not even just the obscure ones.) It is awfully nice to have the Internet handy to be able to look up pictures and songs, because the book is very descriptive but pretty light on images.

I think this review does a good job of mentioning the shortcomings in the analysis & also the strengths in terms of the...more
Heather
for those of us that are already familiar with punk, post-punk, new wave, no wave, riot grrrl, etc. or just feminism in general this is a handy review. probably won't learn anything new, but Raha's writing flows smoothly enough, and is fun for the most part. for the ladies and girls out there that haven't had any exposure, this book is a goldmine. a nice, healthy alternative to the "PMS rock" of Jewel, Alanis Morrisette etc. hopefully it's inspired a few girls out there to pick up an instrument...more
Ocean
i was initially really excited about this book because it features a bunch of my all-time favorite artists/bands (patti smith, team dresch, etc.) i was hoping it would be like a feminist/queer version of "please kill me," but instead it was kind of like an overview. i learned little factoids here and there, but i really wish it had gone further. i want more!
Erin Tuzuner
In a word... disappointing. The ideas and reference points are all there, but the stale summaries of women in rock being contrasted to men in rock ad infinitum was a let down. Many of these women are/underground and more deserving than a blurbish 2 page assessment.
Tpy
Kim gordon,Patti smith, bikini kill, dan wanita wanita nakal hebat lainnya ada di dalam buku ini. bagaimana mereka bertahan dan menebarkan virus virusnya membuat buku ini menjadi sangat menarik untuk di baca. plus poto poto eksklusif nya,, yeach yeach ilove you mom!!
CAConrad
PUNK ROCK SAVED MY LIFE!
PUNK ROCK SAVED MY POEMS!
Maria Raha SAVED my understanding of what I LOVE, and what I missed, but it's NEVER TOO LATE BABY!
MOST SINCERELY,
CAConrad
Jessica
Apr 25, 2008 Jessica rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: fans of riotgrrl. feminists. music fans.
A pretty comprehensive history of women in the punk/indie underground. However, at times it turns into fan-worship rather than an objective viewpoint; you can tell she includes only bands/songwriters she really loves.
Christina
This book is essential if you are a music fan, especially if you want to learn more about influential women in the punk movement. (Their contributions are typically played down or ignored altogether.)
Natalie
I thought the writing in this book was a little dry, however, I think it is a great reference book regarding women in the punk scene and the indie scene pre mid 90's.
Victoria
I pretty much only wanted this for the Bratmobile chapter, but it was nice to learn about all of the other bands mentioned. Well, except Patti Smith. Lo siento.
Rebekah
Jan 16, 2008 Rebekah added it
Shelves: readit, academic
I'm using bits and pieces of this for my dissertation. I found it interesting and informative, but felt "Pretty in Punk" was much better for overall info.
Jen
Sep 21, 2008 Jen rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: ladies who love other ladies who rock
good overview of some amazing women in rock. doesn't go too deep, but still something any riot grrrl should have on their shelves.
Elise
Smart writing and a great book for people looking for a general overview of the female punk scene. Plus, my friend wrote it, so read it!
Dana
just got this a week ago for my birthday and already read it and want to read it again
Angie
Sep 13, 2007 Angie marked it as to-read
have it, have read bits of it, but need to just plow through to get a real sense of it.
Wendy
Informative romp thru punk's leading lady's influence on music history.
Zoë Leverant
The book that taught me I could be punk, too. Forever has a place in my heart.
Jena
Awesome. A great representation of women in punk rock!
Jaime
this is amazing! i just started it, and i love it.
Shakun
Nov 20, 2007 Shakun added it
Pengen baca ini euy..ada yang punya?pinjjeemm...
Anna
Apr 30, 2009 Anna marked it as to-read
so many books, so little time.
Lee
Bitchin'. TOTALLY bitchin'.
  • Riot Grrrl: Revolution Girl Style Now!
  • Pretty in Punk: Girl's Gender Resistance in a Boy's Subculture
  • From the Velvets to the Voidoids: A Pre-Punk History for a Post-Punk World
  • We Owe You Nothing: Punk Planet: The Collected Interviews
  • Punk Rock: An Oral History
  • Moonage Daydream: The Life & Times of Ziggy Stardust
  • No Wave: Post-Punk. Underground. New York. 1976-1980.
  • Dance of Days: Two Decades of Punk in the Nation's Capital
  • Gimme Something Better: The Profound, Progressive, and Occasionally Pointless History of Bay Area Punk from Dead Kennedys to Green Day
  • Touch and Go: The Complete Hardcore Punk Zine '79-'83
  • Ranters and Crowd Pleasers: Punk in Pop Music, 1977-1992
  • The Philosophy of Punk
  • Lexicon Devil: The Fast Times and Short Life of Darby Crash and The Germs
  • Drugs are Nice: A Post-Punk Memoir
Maria Raha is the author of Cinderella's Big Score: Women of the Punk and Indie Underground. Her nonfiction work has also appeared in Young Wives’ Tales: New Adventures in Love and Partnership (Seal Press, 2001) and The W Effect: Bush's War on Women (Feminist Press, 2004). She is the managing editor of Swingset and a contributor to Bitch: Feminist Response to Pop Culture, among other publications....more
More about Maria Raha...
Hellions: Pop Culture's Rebel Women Hellions

“Anger, intelligence, and wit are ultimately more seductive than zero percent body fat.” 40 likes