Start by marking “Postmodernism for Beginners” as Want to Read:
Postmodernism for Beginners

Postmodernism for Beginners (For Beginners)

If you are like most people, you’re not sure what Postmodernism is. And if this were like most books on the subject, it probably wouldn’t tell you. Besides what a few grumpy critics claim, Postmodernism is not a bunch of meaningless intellectual mind games. On the contrary, it is a reaction to the most profound spiritual and philosophical crises of our time–the failure of ...more
Published December 28th 2007 by For Beginners

To ask other readers questions about Postmodernism for Beginners, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Postmodernism for Beginners

Miss Ravi
Aug 16, 2015 Miss Ravi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, 1394
این کتاب یه ویژگی داره که میتونه همزمان مثبت یا منفی باشه. و اون بررسی همه جانبهی پست مدرنیزم و آثار ناشی از شکلگیری اونه در هنرهای مختلف و همچنین تاثیرات جامعهشناختی و بعضاً سیاسی این مکتب. و حتا میشه گفت جنبه جامعهشناختی رو به شکل مفصلتری نسبت به نقش پست مدرنیزم توی ادبیات بررسی میکنه. حالا اینکه کسی دنبال ویژگیهای آثار ادبیای باشه که در سبک پست مدرن نوشته شدن باید به جای خوندن مستقیمِ شاخصههای این مکتب توی آثار مختلف مطالب کتاب رو به ادبیات و قالبهای ادبی تعمیم بده. ...more
Michael
Nov 21, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
I recall trying to read Lyotard in college and had an impossible time; now this primer, combined with the knowledge I've gained in the last 25 years, is making much more basic, introductory sense to me.
Matt
Jun 09, 2009 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You're not supposed to admit to reading this book. You're supposed to page through this in secret, with a flashlight under your covers, before going to a coffeehouse to casually flip through Derrida.

I am by no means going to pretend to understand Postmodernism. Nor will I pretend to understand the tenets of most of the individuals associated with Postmodern thought. But this book seems like a good summary. I respect the fact that it unashamedly attempts to plainly state ideas that generally scu
Coenraad
Feb 23, 2014 Coenraad rated it really liked it
Despite the cartoon nature of this book, the content is solid: quite philosophical, wide-ranging and in-depth. If the concept of postmodernism fascinates you, this text should answer your questions, but give you much more to think about than you may have thought possible. You cannot read this thoroughly in one session, and probably more than one read is necessary to digest all its ideas. But reading it is thoroughly worthwhile!

Die tekenprent-aanbieding mag 'n mens verlei om hierdie boek vlak te
Heather
As is to be expected, this book is not comprehensive, but it could serve as a great introduction to postmodernism, or, as was true in my case, as a nice refresher. One thing I will say is that while I like the concept of this book as a graphic novel, I don't really agree that it is one for the simple fact that the images do not really add additional information or insight to the text, rather they just support it. I would be more inclined to call this an illustrated book. This would be a great on ...more
Aral
Jul 15, 2011 Aral rated it it was ok
weirdly histrionic right?

"a cyberpunk guy who wants to seduce some corporate secretary might soften her up by softening up her software (e.g., by altering the software in the corporate mainframe so that it appears to her boss—who monitors her key stroke rate—that she is typing twice as fast as she actually is)."

?
Molly
Jan 23, 2011 Molly rated it really liked it
I love the "For Beginners" series and think this is a particularly good one. I found the sections on Deconstruction, Deleuze and Guattari, "double coding", and cyborgs to be clearly written and useful to give students in the 12th-grade English class I teach. The introduction and (especially) the conclusion are slightly cheesy though, and according to the kids, "so '90s".
Dawn Hukai
Aug 16, 2015 Dawn Hukai rated it liked it
Well-written, and unlike many postmodern works, accessible, this documentary comic book provides a friendly starting point that emphasizes the ability of postmodernism to help us cope with a rapidly changing world.
Kris Ohlendorf
Apr 28, 2015 Kris Ohlendorf rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great primer to postmodernist thought. Lots of ideas jammed into a small package. While it won't make the reader an expert on the subject, it is a great way to get introduced to the conversations around postmodernism.
Kat
Nov 08, 2008 Kat rated it it was amazing
I understand Postmodernism now! Thanks, weird little comic book!
Randall
May 01, 2011 Randall rated it it was amazing
Now I get it! Thanks!
Jack Stratton
Dec 28, 2011 Jack Stratton rated it did not like it
Horribly edited. Many names and titles were incorrect.
Z
Aug 18, 2016 Z rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As long as you can get past the shame of reading a book with "for beginners" in the title, this is a great entry-level book, but make no mistake, this is not Postmodernism for Dummies. It does a good job of conveying ideas in a way that is neither overly complicated, nor overly simplified. While far from comprehensive, it provides a good overview from simple to more complex concepts.
The content is mainly formatted as a series of questions and answers that makes the flow of material feel very nat
Mlprecise
Aug 12, 2013 Mlprecise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is exactly what it promises to be: nothing less, nothing more. I wish it had assumed my IQ to be higher than it did, but it served as a good road map for postmodern philosophy. It contains errors (like using an image of the Pantheon to illustrate the Parthenon, for instance--unless that was a sly postmodern "joke") and could use a few more proof-readings. If you're new to postmodern theory, put your ego in your back pocket and read this book.
Ástríðr
Aug 01, 2016 Ástríðr rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!

I thought I knew what postmodernism was, but this book helped me understand it in better detail and begin to grasp the essential concepts of Deconstruction, poststructualism, and, of course Postmodernism.
Loved it, wish I had found this sooner!
Alex  Wolff
Aug 24, 2009 Alex Wolff marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Tried to read this but its too much to tackle with Eastern Philosophy. I have a good grasp on Derrida's Deconstruction aspect as applied to literature but very little in other realms and by other philosophers
Doutor Branco
Jul 15, 2014 Doutor Branco rated it really liked it
Shelves: lidos-em-2014
It is a very interesting book and very helpful for beginners or people with little knowledge on the field of study. I did not enjoy much the cartoons.
Michelle Farinella
Jul 24, 2015 Michelle Farinella rated it liked it
Oh, okay. Postmodernism is everything I thought about in college but had no labels for. Until now!
Linda Hayashi
Aug 31, 2011 Linda Hayashi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Linda by: Professor Kendall, English 214
Like a good subway map it is clear, concise and easy to read. Upon arrival at an interesting destination, one is free to run amok through other sources for further excavations.
Melbert Torres
Melbert Torres rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2014
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Jevans
Jevans rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Zoë
Zoë rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2010
Sina
Sina rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2012
D Andrews
D Andrews rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2009
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Shaun
Shaun rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2013
Abe
Abe rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Chelsie Gransee
Chelsie Gransee rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2014
  • Joyce for Beginners
  • Philosophy in the Present
  • From Puritanism to Postmodernism: A History of American Literature
  • Teach Yourself Postmodernism
  • Philosophy in a Time of Terror: Dialogues with Jürgen Habermas and Jacques Derrida
  • Organic Gardening
take their cue
from a handshake,
the eyes,
a bank statement,
or the shine of one’s shoes.
I make a beeline
for the bookshelves.
Forget reading palms.
One’s library
is a window
into one’s soul.
Go through my books and
my mind stands revealed before you.

writer, editor, meditation teacher, story consultant to motion picture industry

More about James N. Powell...

For Beginners (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • African History for Beginners