Start by marking “Dread” as Want to Read:
Dread

Dread

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  11 reviews
A collection examining America's loss of innocence, the poems in this title range from the horrific flight of a World War II pilot to the World Trade Center attack, from the death of JFK Jr to the poet's own bastard birth.
Published April 1st 2003 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Dread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dread

Keith
If you’re in the mood to sip some caffeine-free chamomile tea and curl up on the sofa with a book of inspiring, soothing poetry, avoid Ai’s book of poems, Dread, at all cost.

At 123 pages, this short book is a tour de force of human misery. It has poems about 9/11, a husband killing a wife, a sibling killing another sibling, a child killing his father (to mention just some of the many murders), incest, alcoholism, psychoses, an attempted suicide, an unwanted pregnancy, spousal abuse, marital che
k.wing
(technically 3.5 stars, but I like to round up :)

I had a fun time reading Ai's poems (bet you're not going to see that comment a lot on the other reviews...) because of her style and choice of subject matter. While her style is light, sometimes rhyming, free style, her subject matter is heavy and matted, and usually told much like a story. I sincerely enjoyed almost every poem and was effected by almost every poem.

I am a little confused at the title of this collection of work, and maybe that's
Emmet
Had to read quite a few of the entries in this book more than once; okay, it IS poetry, after all. Ai definitely likes to write challenging pieces--not just in content or theme, but in structure as well. She seems to be operating from the less is more idea. However, the reason I can't recommend it fully is that one of the poems I just couldn't make sense out of, after multiple reads. Dense and challenging poetry is okay by me, but when it's so dense or challenging I can't cut through it to arriv ...more
John
Wow. Ai writes poems like she's punching something. It's a visceral experience, reading them. She writes about lots of awful things: murder, loss of innocence, various forms of brutality. And she uses the first-person narrative approach effectively, putting the reader right into the story. This allows her to dig deeply into the psychology of each poem. She's a mother, a female cop, a daughter, a psychic male detective. Strong writing, plenty of variety, great poems.
Paula
Complex and deep. Very depressing, though (i.e., don't read it at bedtime), which the title, I suppose, should already warn. Reminiscent of Robert Browning to me, in that the poems are long and narrative, tell a story, and usually lead in an unexpected direction. Common themes include 9/11, interracial relations, broken homes, and disturbing childhood memories.
Carly Trask-Kuchta
A haunting, confusing, and fascinating portrayal of trauma, mainly in childhood, through various perspectives. It was a lot to chew on, but beautifully written. I found myself savoring the book, but also being disgusted by its honesty and tragedy and picture of trauma. I loved it wholly and completely, and will need to continue to digest it for a few days.
Miho
poetry that stings and leaves an open wound on your compassion. this is the kind of exploration into pain that truly liberates. it is not easy to read, but very important to experience.
Jan
I liked the accessibility of Ai's dramatic monologues. I felt, though, that her obsession with the dark was somewhat sensational, and her treatment of it a little heavy-handed.
Liam
Read in June 2010, the Summer of Poetry. Surprised at this because I bought it over Christmas in Scranton at that used bookstore.
Cassandra
these poems read like beautiful prose but are still tight in form.
Malik
{{{{{{{{{!!!!!!!}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
cheng tim tim
cheng tim tim marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jonna
Jonna marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Lincoln Durham
Lincoln Durham marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Karlie Marie
Karlie Marie marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Ryan
Ryan added it
Dec 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Ai is a poet who has been said to be a mixture of Japanese, Choctaw-Chickasaw, Black, Irish, Southern Cheyenne, and Comanche. Her birth name was Florence Anthony but she changed her name to "Ai" which means love in Japanese.

Her poems have dark themes to them and contain violence, rape, and other subjects that aren't considered appropriate. She often writes from the antagonist point of view and has
More about Ai...