Tarot (Tarot, #1-3)

Tarot (Tarot, #1-3)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  420 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Omnibus. Contains God of Tarot, Faith of Tarot & Vision of Tarot.
Published November 1st 1987 by Ace Trade (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Tarot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tarot

Tecni
Como calidad literaria, tiene más el prólogo del autor explicando la historia de cómo escribió el libro que la propia historia que, como pasa tantas veces en la ciencia-ficción, es poco más que una excusa hilvanada sobre unos hechos bastante interesantes que son los que el autor realmente quiere transmitir. Por lo demás, el libro se hace bastante largo, no terminas de ver en ningún momento hacia donde te está llevando o si tendrá algún sentido realmente el final, y además da la sensación de que...more
Dark-Draco
I first read this book about 4 years ago and remember being totally blown away by it - I didn't have that same feeling now that I have read it again, but strangely feel as if I have taken something more from it this time.

Brother Paul is given a mission on the mysterious planet of TAROT. The colonists are all rigid religious fundamentalists of differing faiths, cults and schisms, barely tolerating living in the same place. But on Tarot, people get drawn into Animations, a vision or hallucination...more
Peter
Possibly the worst book ever written !: I have been reading books for over forty years, and am a great fan of Piers Anthony.
However ... avoid this anthology of the Tarot stories like the plague !! It is absolutely AWFUL with no redeeming features.
The basic premise of the book is promising, and to be honest one would expect an excellent author like Anthony to bring the story to some sort of life. But this is clearly a hash of bits and pieces of various religions, thrown together with no cohesion...more
Heather
I'll admit that I'm very torn on this book. I found parts of it to be excellent. Other parts I found hard to read. That might be because Tarot is actual a series of books that were packaged as one. It is my understanding that the author originally wrote it as one but then the publisher requested it be split. Either way, it's hard to read as one book. I might have enjoyed it more over all reading it the way it was first published.
Heather
I had read some of the Xanth novels before, so I thought this one might be good... wrong! It was one of the slowest books I've ever read. Completely plotless. Some dude goes to a planet called Tarot where the spirits(?) of tarot cards come to life, from what I remember--I read it about ten years ago. All I can remember happening is that he wanders around and encounters weird tarot-card-based stuff. Yawn.
Bob
SF/Fantasy that mixes the many forms of Tarot and the many religions of earth as a Brother from a small sect searches for The One God on a remote colony with a small population many diverse religions and a strange ability to take a persons thoughts and create real seeming. Interesting, but at the same time confusing as the Brother is caught up in many scenarios that test his faith.
Coquille Fleur
I read this before I really got into Tarot, way back in high school. It's an interesting premise that Anthony used to incorporate the Tarot deck into a novel like this. Unfortunately, the premise is the best part. This book (I read the one that had all 3 in one volume) was the first real fantasy novel I ever read.
Bridget Cameron
Epic work of fantasy adventure that brings to life all the sybolism of the tarot suite through its characters search for meaning and truth.
It sheds light on how easy it is to fall prey to the symbolism of tarot and to get carried away in fantasy realms which do no justice in the real world!
Marc Alan
I once read a comic that said "They told you I like Piers Anthony?! Are you serious? Piers Anthony writes books for child molesters who don't read anything not involving child molesting". That may be true. I still think it's a good book. So there.

Cheli
A dear friend of mine LOVES this book and reads it at least once every 18 months or so. For me it was darker than I like and there was so much going on at times that it hurt my head.
Shannon
I read this back in 1990 and enjoyed it... reread it a few years later and was happy to see it held up... now i'm kind of excited to see that it's part of a series... hummmm...
Christopher King
An excellent book, if you're looking at a clearer idea of what Tarot is and the different styles as they relate to society.
Kristen
Awful, awful, awful.
Billy Candelaria
Billy Candelaria marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Ken Schmidt
Ken Schmidt marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Julie
Julie added it
Jul 05, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jun 29, 2014
Christine Nadon
Christine Nadon marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Jodielynn Lovern-barger
Jodielynn Lovern-barger marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
  • Armies of Light and Dark (Babylon 5: Legions of Fire, #2)
  • The Final Nexus
  • Celtika (The Merlin Codex, Book 1)
  • User Friendly
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Federation
  • First Contact (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Serrano Connection
  • Stargate SG-1: Roswell (Stargate SG-1, #13)
  • Final Reckoning: The Fate of Bester (Babylon 5: Saga of Psi Corps, #3)
  • Stargate SG-1: The Barque of Heaven (Stargate SG-1, #15)
  • Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds (Alacrity FitzHugh & Hobart Floyt, #1)
  • Stargate SG-1: Trial by Fire (Stargate SG-1, #5)
  • Stargate SG-1: A Matter of Honor (Stargate SG-1, #7)
  • The Year the Horses Came
  • Death's Angel (Star Trek Adventures, #15)
  • The Eagle and the Sword (Arthor, #2)
  • Stargate SG-1: The Price You Pay (Stargate SG-1, #2)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)