Start by marking “Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents: Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses” as Want to Read:
Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents: Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses

Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents: Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Shaped like a miter’s cap or delicately hued like the pearl-colored petticoats of a duchess, scented like honeyed almonds or nodding heavily in the wind, every old-fashioned rose possesses a unique character. And their names–often drawn from history and mythology–have stories as enchanting and evocative as the flowers themselv
Published April 22nd 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents

Lisa
May 26, 2014 Lisa added it
Great photography and engaging historical descriptions make this a fun read and reference for those who love roses. I'm looking forward to planting a few of these.
Bee
I've never considered myself a fan of roses -- mostly, I think, because I associate them with 'typical' bouquets, and I've always preferred my flowers on the wilder side. Lately, thanks to visiting a garden full of unusual antique roses, I'm being won over. (but I still dislike typical bouquets!) 'Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents' made me more of a fan, especially of the art of hybridization. It's a fascinating little history of 50 roses and the historical and/or fictitious characters they were n ...more
Denisewiden
This book is a series of vignettes explaining why certain antique roses are named what they are. It gives a brief history of the hybridizer, and name changes throughout the ages. Again, since I am obsessed with roses, I insisted that my husband buy this for me when we were camping. We bought it in Little Current on Manitoulin Island at a charming little department store there. It was so great to not go to WALMART when we were on vacation.
Sharon Chance
A charming book full of great information on beautiful roses. The photography work in this book is just dazzling, and worth checking the book out for in itself!
Dee
So far, this is a quick and interesting read about the people for which heritage roses were named. I'm enjoying the stories and the history.
Elena
I love books that give background, history and general info about plants and this one covers all taht and more about old roses.
Dianna
Kind of intriguing. Lots of famous people had roses names after them. The pictures are really beautiful.
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Chris Vancleave
Chris Vancleave marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Kyla
Kyla added it
Jul 24, 2011
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2009
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2009
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2008