Start by marking “Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents: Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses” as Want to Read:
Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents: Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses

Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents: Portraits and Legends of 50 Roses

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  13 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Would a rose by any other name smell as sweet?

Shaped like a miter’s cap or delicately hued like the pearl-colored petticoats of a duchess, scented like honeyed almonds or nodding heavily in the wind, every old-fashioned rose possesses a unique character. And their names–often drawn from history and mythology–have stories as enchanting and evocative as the flowers themselv
Published April 22nd 2008 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents

Mar 03, 2016 sanny rated it liked it
Smell the roses. Or read about them at least. Fascinating people and roses gorgeously captured on film.

Even if you're indifferent to roses there's no denying these are a treat in print (even better if they have a scratch-and-sniff feature, but oh well)

May 26, 2014 Lisa added it
Great photography and engaging historical descriptions make this a fun read and reference for those who love roses. I'm looking forward to planting a few of these.
Jul 17, 2008 Bee rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I've never considered myself a fan of roses -- mostly, I think, because I associate them with 'typical' bouquets, and I've always preferred my flowers on the wilder side. Lately, thanks to visiting a garden full of unusual antique roses, I'm being won over. (but I still dislike typical bouquets!) 'Pink Ladies & Crimson Gents' made me more of a fan, especially of the art of hybridization. It's a fascinating little history of 50 roses and the historical and/or fictitious characters they were n ...more
Jul 18, 2008 Denisewiden rated it it was amazing
This book is a series of vignettes explaining why certain antique roses are named what they are. It gives a brief history of the hybridizer, and name changes throughout the ages. Again, since I am obsessed with roses, I insisted that my husband buy this for me when we were camping. We bought it in Little Current on Manitoulin Island at a charming little department store there. It was so great to not go to WALMART when we were on vacation.
Sharon Chance
Apr 21, 2011 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing
A charming book full of great information on beautiful roses. The photography work in this book is just dazzling, and worth checking the book out for in itself!
Jan 11, 2009 Dee rated it it was amazing
So far, this is a quick and interesting read about the people for which heritage roses were named. I'm enjoying the stories and the history.
Dec 21, 2012 Elena rated it it was amazing
I love books that give background, history and general info about plants and this one covers all taht and more about old roses.
Aug 29, 2008 Dianna rated it liked it
Kind of intriguing. Lots of famous people had roses names after them. The pictures are really beautiful.
Jacki Christian
Jacki Christian marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Huong Dao
Huong Dao is currently reading it
May 07, 2016
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Bonnie marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Kim Turner
Kim Turner marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Joyce marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Chris Vancleave
Chris Vancleave marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2013
Willalou rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Rachel rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2011
Kyla added it
Jul 24, 2011
Kimber rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2010
Deni rated it really liked it
May 06, 2009
Megan marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2009
Sabrina rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2009
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2009