Start by marking “In or Out (In or Out, #1)” as Want to Read:
In or Out (In or Out, #1)

In or Out (In or Out #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  439 ratings  ·  50 reviews
Are you IN or are you OUT? Find out in the launch of this exciting new YA series that explores the drama of high school friendship -- the ups & downs, the scandals & secrets, the romance & rivalries.

Bubbly Marnie and shy Nola are best friends forever...but everything changes when ninth grade starts. Marnie has set her sights on the IN crowd, led by beautiful hi...more
Published June 1st 2007 by Point

To ask other readers questions about In or Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In or Out

In or Out by Claudia GabelWithering Tights by Louise RennisonKristen by Lisi HarrisonRevenge of the Wannabes by Lisi HarrisonStargirl by Jerry Spinelli
Realistic Books About Fitting In
1st out of 60 books — 16 voters
Perfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesBentwhistle the Dragon in a Threat from the Past by Paul CudeHow to Ruin a Summer Vacation by Simone ElkelesHow to Ruin My Teenage Life by Simone ElkelesHow to Ruin Your Boyfriend's Reputation by Simone Elkeles
Books that Teens might like c:
23rd out of 119 books — 30 voters

More lists with this book...

Zainab
In or Out:)
I reallly, really loved this book, and I Loved it so much I got done with this book in about 5 days. I
would definitely give this book 5 out of 5 stars! And this time I will tell you step be step why this book deserves 5 perfect stars.

Star 1-because I love how this young adult book, is beyond descriptive, I literly paints the perfect picture in your head. like your watching a movie. And very good descriptive words as well.

Star 2- I love the characters cladia Gabel made up, there a per...more
Bernadette Mchugh
Aug 01, 2007 Bernadette Mchugh marked it as to-read
My friend Claudia wrote this book! Everyone should read it! (including me)
Sylvie
I picked up this book a few years ago, but I couldn't get into it. I'm glad I gave it another try because this time I was hooked. Funny, not totally predictable, and just the right amount of angsty teen drama. Though the whole popularity thing is ridiculous, Nola and Marnie's different points of view are well-explored, and I found myself understanding where they were coming from.

The book ends on a sudden and unfinished note, however. I suggest having the sequel on hand if you're one of those peo...more
Arielle
Dec 02, 2007 Arielle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: girls from the ages of 10-15
This book is such an amazing book.
Jamie
May 01, 2008 Jamie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: good
R E A L L Y
G O O D
Alexa
(Review originally posted on Alexa Loves Books)

The book was well-written, all the facts and plotlines laid out so that the reader would not have a difficult time following the story. That having been said, I guess the story overall just didn't appeal to me in particular.

I like the character of Nola; she reminds me of myself when I was younger in a lot of ways and I could relate to her struggle watching her best friend change and become a completely different person. I also liked reading about he...more
Is
Reading for the third time. Though, now as a legal adult.

Mean Girls meet your book form

Alright, not entirely Mean Girls. Think of it as some mean girls being mean...okay, that didn’t make sense.

In
The true meaning of the word BFF
People who take you under your wing
when you have no one to sit at lunch with
Forgetting the so call friend and getting
real friends
or

Out
Girls who sell you out for popularity
People who cry and moan at someone stepping on your toe
so far as to saying you it could have...more
Shannon Bortz
I read the book In or Out by Claudia Gabel. Its a realistic fiction book. I think this book compares a lot to the regular high school, it's pretty simular, the characters are a lot like the people I go to school with. There are always the popular people and than the unpopular. But I think it's all about how you carry yourself and present yourself to people.
I think the characters in this book are three demensional they are very real and like actual people. I think that the author gives a lot o...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Randstostipher "tallnlankyrn" Nguyen for TeensReadToo.com

The crucial part of high school, or of any social scene, is to fit in, to be noticed... in a good way. To not be the one that gets picked on but more like the one who everyone wants to be around. For best friends Nola and Marnie, their first day in high school as freshmen will ultimately result in whether they make it into the right crowd. But no worries, since they both promised each other that whoever gets in first will make...more
Tan
Originally reviewed - 5/19/08

I started reading this book out of curiousity-- I mean the plot was obvious; two girls who were bffs since kindergarten enter high school and find that they want different things. Marnie: to be as popular as her older sister was and Nola...Nola just wants to survive. You're probably asking; "Then why read this series if it's so predictable?". Well, I guess I kind of see where Claudia Gabel is going with this series and I guess that-- even though the plot was--is pred...more
Laina
This book was all about two best friends, Marnie and Nola going into their first year of high school. Marnie is immediately sucked into the clutches of the popular Lizette Levin who happens to have a distaste for Nola and has her eyes on the cutie, Dane. Nola on the other hand befriends Matt Heatherly who's marked as an outcast along with his other two friends. With the qusetion of popularity or unpopularity, and Marnie and Nola's friendship hanging by threads, how will the girls get through the...more
Hua
I really liked the title of this book. Things started getting more interesting as i read on. This book is about Bubbly Marnie and shy Nola. Marnie gets invovled with other people when they get to 9th grade. However Nola got left out. Nola still wants their friendship to remain and she also have a crush on a cute guy. These two friends cannot get over each other. And they had big fights. I would recommend this book to teenagers because many of us can relate to both of the main characters. Many of...more
Allison
This book is mainly talking about the relationship between two best friends, Bubbly Marnie and shy Nola. But thing is getting worse, and is changing after ninth grade starts. Marnie, who sets her sights on the IN crowd, is leading by a beautiful hipster girl, Lizette. And Nola, who remains OUT, wants her friendship with Marnie to remain as it was, despite her crush on a cute boy. These two best friends can not understand, and get over each other, which lead to a declared fight between them.
(To...more
Taylor Mcdaniel
In or Out is a great book about living the life of a teenager and having your first day of high school. It has some disappointing moments and some romantic ones. This book is great if you love best friend drama, high school parties, and a little romance.
Anna
Don't judge a book by its cover (which is what I totally did before I actually read it).

What I loved about this book is that the main focus is on the girls' friendship. I think that subject is rarely given the full attention it deserves. Marnie and Nola are well-developed characters and it isn't clear cut who the reader should be rooting for since they're both protagonists. For example, Marnie can be selfish, but isn't Nola selfish too, in a different way? Glad to see the author didn't go with t...more
Melissa P
Monica
4 1/2 ⭐️.
In or Out is a book about two friends who go from a friendship where they are like sisters to one that ceases to exist. It shows that sometimes friendships seem like they can last forever, but then they can end as fast as they started. The character of Nola is heartbroken when her friend leaves her for the popular group in high school. I felt a connection to her character because I could sympathize with how alone she felt. A real and captivating book.
Xiu Ling
I think this book is interesting because it is written in two main characters' point of view. You can know all of what they're thinking. The main idea of this book is Marnie and Nola used to be best friends. However, Nola felt that Marnie has changed because she has found new friends and she spends a lot of time with them. Therefore, they became enemies. However, inside, they wish that their friendship has never broke.
 Taylor
Hong Deng
The book is about the change of the friendship of these two girls Marnie and Nola in their freshmen year. They have been best friend since little but things start to go wrong when they each head in a different direction/side in school. Marnie wants to be with the major and Nola wants to stay in the same position.
Aidin Manning
I liked In or Out because I could relate. Sometimes I'm hanging out with the popular kids and at others I just want to hang with my old friends from kindergarten. But I didn't like the ending of it. Then again I haven't read the next book so maybe it gets better for Marnie and Nola.
Kaitlin Oliver
This book was absolutely amazing. It was impossible to put it down, I highly suggest to all teen girls. I can't wait to finish the rest of the series and find out what kind of damage it really takes to destroy a friendship. What does it really take to be in or out?
Emma M.
L
Marnie and Nola were best friends...now high school has changed everything!

THis book leaves you hanging so make sure to look for:
Book #2 - Loves Me, Loves Me Not
Book #3 - Sweet and Vicious
Book #4 - Friends Close, Enemies Closer
Jena
Read these way back when for a summer project and they weren't terrible..just a stereotypical YA coming of age type book with butt loads of drama for days. I did end up reading the rest but I'm not proud of it because they just went downhill
Judy
I really enjoyed this series
Tulsi
This book got me addicted to the whole series. Marnie, like every other high schooler, wants to be in the "in" crowd. She even breaks up her friendship with her BFF Nola.
Emily
I fell in love with this story line and the author's writing. I love the characters, of course (especially Matt!), and I can definitely feel the struggle of friendships.
Lina
I suggest this to those 8th graders getting ready to go to the high school. It actually doesn't tell you much about what high school is about, but hey its a funny read.
  • French Kiss (Alexa & Holly, #2)
  • Insiders (Insiders, #1)
  • Kiss Me Tomorrow
  • My Desperate Love Diary (Diaries of Kelly Ann, #1)
  • Confessions of a Teen Nanny
  • Goy Crazy
  • A Non-Blonde Cheerleader in Love (Cheerleader Trilogy, #3)
  • Pool Boys
  • The Crushes (Heartbreakers, #2)
  • The Darlings are Forever (The Darlings are Forever, #1)
  • Playing With Fire (Little Secrets, #1)
  • After Summer (Summer Boys, #3)
  • 6X: The Uncensored Confessions (6X, #1)
  • The Time Travelers: Volume One
  • The Luckiest Girl (First Love, #2)
  • Pretty Tough (Pretty Tough, #1)
  • The Ashleys (The Ashleys, #1)
  • Kathleen's Story (Angels in Pink, #1)
Elusion (Elusion, #1) Romeo & Juliet & Vampires Loves Me, Loves Me Not (In or Out, #2) Sweet and Vicious (In or Out, #3) Friends Close, Enemies Closer (In or Out, #4)