Start by marking “The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History” as Want to Read:
The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History

The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History

Combining text with photographs and illustrations, this book provides children with a global view of history, from the creation of the Earth to the beginning of the 21st century. It also includes hundreds of web site addresses for further research.
Published January 1st 2001 by E.D.C. Publishing (first published 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about The Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History

Mandie Mc
Sep 14, 2011 Mandie Mc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
See my review on amazon for a complete table of contents.

I love the Usborne series of encyclopedias and other books, and was really excited to add this to our home's repertoire.

While there is not a lot of depth on some areas/topics (Ancient China and Japan, for instance), there is certainly a huge breadth of knowledge. I am excited that there are 100 pages dedicated to prehistory, including the birth of our planet and the beginnings of life. There is a really cool visual timeline of prehistory
Dreamergirl
Mar 19, 2011 Dreamergirl rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a great research book, from the first humans on Earth to great civilizations like Egypt, Greece and Rome. It was beautifully illustrated and written, I've never read an encyclopedia as fast! :)However I did not agree to the first few chapters and the theory, I don't think it should be inclouded- at all... Though I loved Jane Bingham's style (how she wrote everything in a fun, cool way but still gave plenty of useful info). The Usborne illustration company did it again :) It made me see ...more
Heather
We've read through quite a bit of this so far. We skipped the caveman stuff since I don't necessarily subscribe to evolution/caveman theory. We did enjoy the ancient world part and have used the first part of the middle ages.

We use this as a history spine. We read a page or two to get a general feel about what happened and the major people of that time period. Then we add other books to gain depth.

I like how this book is organized. It is color coded by continent which makes it easy to flip throu
Joseph Leskey
Dec 09, 2016 Joseph Leskey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: roughly anybody
Well… there's some good and some bad.

Good–
• The book, due to pictures and scattered information, is very fun to look at.
• It covers a wide range of history and does a fairly good job of it.

Bad–
• It presents a theoretical hypotheses as historical fact. Alright, prehistorical "fact," but that does little to soften the blow. Last I checked (which was just about never), history books were written to record facts about history.
• For the first many, many, even more many pages, the dates are off by an
Ronna
Oct 15, 2008 Ronna rated it it was ok
Shelves: homeschooling
Good resource book, but the first 100 or so pages is devoted to evolution theory.
Buddy
Apr 18, 2008 Buddy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: evan jarvis
I liked it. It was cool.
Aug 14, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
My daughter has read this book cover to cover like a novel 5 times. It is a good reference and includes links to other sources; some of which are historically educational games.
Niko Gregg
The Encyclopedia of World History gives information on world history chronologically. It ranges all the way from ancient civilizations to World War 2. This book is able to connect with the reader through its pictures and through its explanations on important pieces of history that have helped shape our civilization today. This book is interesting but I found it very boring. I got this book when I got the Science Encyclopedia but I did not find this one as fun to read. It has a lot of historical ...more
Joni
Josh likes to call it the encyclopedia of history and pre-history. We are all in love with this book. It's just scrumptious, cover to cover. It covers the history of the universe, the birth of the Earth, evolution, prehistory, and history. Each topic is given a few pages and it's just enough to cover the basics or reinforce prior knowledge and add a bit. This is great for Josh right now in first grade and I can see that I went too advance with the Usborne Encyclopedia of Ancient Greece--this wou ...more
Kim
Oct 04, 2008 Kim rated it it was ok
Some evolution/pre-historic information is presented as fact when, in fact, it is not fact or proven. Never are the Usborne books unbiased enough to at least admit that there is another theory and the one that they present is not at all scientifically proven but is, in fact, a religious belief of atheism.

Information presented is cartoonish and is busy. Some children do not like the format. Some pictures are very small and hard to discern.

We got ours in a history core from Winter Promise and I w
Shauna
Mar 28, 2009 Shauna rated it it was amazing
Thanks to Noble and Dixie for the reminder about this book! We used to use this book a lot for history, then I got out of the habit. We are going to start next week to reinforce what we have learned from "Hittite Warrior" our lunchtime history read aloud. Maybe it has a special appeal to boys . . . Malachi especially likes this book as well.
Danielle
Sep 11, 2012 Danielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sonlight
This was one of our additional resources for Sonlight Core 6 World History this year, but I wasn't really that thrilled with it. I pulled it out regularly at the beginning of the year, but as we progressed, it just became an irritant so I quit using it. It's a good book, but in the context that I was using it, I didn't enjoy having it as an additional resource.
Patricia
Aug 15, 2013 Patricia rated it really liked it
I found this in a box of my son's old books and decided I could use a history refresher. This was a great overview from the beginning of everything to the year 2000. I am going to spend some more time looking at the timeline in the back of the book, as I often get confused about when events took place.
Lisa
Jun 24, 2010 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
It was the fact that I am a homeschooler that made me purchase this book, but I think it should be on every families bookshelf. The text is excellent and there is no way you would find all of this great history links on your own.
Clare
Sep 20, 2009 Clare rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i know! but how does that have to do with encyclopedia of world history?
Austin Phillips
Mar 16, 2015 Austin Phillips rated it it was amazing
This book has a lot of pictures and is quite descriptive. I like how the book works with online links.
Regina Hunter
Oct 05, 2013 Regina Hunter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Actually pretty good, considering it covers history of the world in 400 pages with pictures and still has a lot of details.
Jessica
Feb 15, 2008 Jessica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
We just read a page or two every day. We skipped the evolution stuff in the beginning, though, there was way too much of it...
Kyle Hoekstra
If there's a single /book/ responsible for my early interest in history, it was probably this.
Lisa
Sep 03, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Sonlight Homeschool Curriculum
Shelves: history
Fascinating book of world history for children that covers the prehistoric world through modern times. Filled with colorful pictures that bring the past to life. Highly recommended.
Mehran
Aug 17, 2013 Mehran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eowh
A fantastic book that covers a wide range of topics, eg; history, geography,science etc.... A MUST READ BOOK!!!
Michelle
Oct 02, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Amy Koch
Recommended to Michelle by: Susan Wise Bauer
Shelves: read-with-ds
An excellent book for getting adults and children alike excited about history. Visually beautiful and engaging. My son and I are going to have fun reading this book together.
Heather
Great reference! We enjoy the detail in the drawings. We read the first section straight thru, and have used the rest to look up areas of interest.
Deanna
Dec 05, 2009 Deanna rated it liked it
It's a keeper! Loads of information from almost all the civilizations. My kids love looking things up in here.
Lbaker
Rather annoying the amount of subjects it covers without any depth.It skims so many things, you look them up, excited to learn, and then need to research further and elsewhere.
James Emmans
History made simple with great graphics.
Sophie Crane
Sophie Crane rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Paula Soley
Paula Soley rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2015
Scott Bennett
Scott Bennett rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Buyana Ulzii
Buyana Ulzii rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2011
  • The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia
  • Ancient Times: From the Earliest Nomads to the Last Roman Emperor (The Story of the World #1)
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Usborne Time Traveler
  • The Greek News
  • Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US (A History of US #2)
  • Gilgamesh the King (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #1)
  • The Great Wall Of China
  • First Language Lessons for the Well-Trained Mind: Level 1  2
  • The Usborne Book of World History
  • Cleopatra
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • Window on the World: When We Pray God Works
  • Maps and Globes (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found
  • Story of the Orchestra: Listen While You Learn About the Instruments, the Music and the Composers Who Wrote the Music!
  • Archimedes and the Door of Science
  • The Handbook of Nature Study
Jane M. Bingham spent most of her adult life teaching college students about children's literature at Oakland University, collecting and studying children's books from across history and around the world, and campaigning for better materials for children to read. After she retired from that career, she began writing children's books of her own. Bingham has since authored several nonfiction books t ...more
More about Jane Bingham...