Start by marking “Order from Chaos: A Six-Step Plan for Organizing Yourself, Your Office, and Your Life” as Want to Read:

The Six Steps to Organizational Freedom

Do you:
*Miss important deadlines at work?
*Forget to return urgent phone calls?
*Lose papers that were “just here a minute ago”?
*Have multiple layers of sticky notes on your computer?
*Leave projects unfinished for days, weeks, or even months at a time?

If any of these sound familiar, then you are among the ranks of the disorganized—whet
Published December 18th 2001 by Harmony

To ask other readers questions about Order from Chaos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Order from Chaos

Stephen Fox
May 12, 2013 Stephen Fox rated it it was amazing
I'm a big GTD (David Allen) fan but have always struggled staying on the wagon. Decided to see if there was any other options out there after years of thinking that GTD was the best and only way to do anything. This book popped up and it had good reviews, so by the power of kindle, jumped in and bought it. Got to say it is fantastic! I've only been implementing it for a week, so early days, but I've got more done than I have in a long while. The Air Traffic Control system works so well, it's bas ...more
Julie H.
Sep 20, 2008 Julie H. rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
This book was exceedingly helpful in getting my act together in such a way that I was able to contine with some consulting work *and* finish my dissertation. These are lifelong tips on how to organize your "cockpit" (i.e., that crucial area within arm's length of your computer or area, drafting table or area of greatest actiivty and productivity). I've given this book to other friends who worked from home, and we swear by it. I'd recommend it to everyone from college students on up through home ...more
Rebecca
May 20, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I've read more than a few books on organizing, and this remains my favorite. Its easy to understand, easy to put into practice and does not assume you're some "important executive" like Julie Morgenstien or David Allen's books do, it treats you like a regular person.
Very practical advice, like noting what you need the most and having it located within an arm's reach of you and moving it further away, the less you have need of it. Also good info about what to do with old files and other "importa
Alexandria Blaelock
Jan 21, 2016 Alexandria Blaelock rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who need help developing their own workflow systems
Recommended to Alexandria by: work colleague
Shelves: productivity
When I first read this book in 2006, it was a revelation. An incredibly simple system, in many way so obvious that you need someone to point it out to you. The cockpit desk in combination with air Traffic Control issue management made a tremendous difference in my professional life.

This book was originally published in 2001 and its paper based focus may reduce its usefulness for some, but now that I live a different life I plan to be reread it to see what usefulness I can draw from it this time.
Dr Ted Edwards DC
Mar 16, 2009 Dr Ted Edwards DC rated it really liked it
I'd been looking for a means of getting organized and this is the one I decided upon. Liz presents a step by step procedure that I've been slowly, but surely implementing. The book is short, mainly because it doesn't contain a bunch of filler or fluff. I'm using it to reorganize my office and taking the same principles and putting them into play on the computer - where I'm also having trouble finding stuff I want/need
Estella
May 02, 2012 Estella rated it really liked it
Davenport offers several common sense ideas that, when used in combination, bring sanity to any system. I think most cluttered people will recognize their bad habits and/or insane practices in this book. This is a quick read with a lot of reiteration for those who need it, plus witty, self-deprecating presentation.
Shayne
Dec 04, 2012 Shayne rated it it was ok
Shelves: real-book
Good tip on how to include a baby step toward a goal. I'm adding a "heart line" to my daily to-do list. However, the advice is dated; written over a decade ago, it advocates lugging around a three-ring binder with your personal calendar on it and eschewing a group calendar because you can't take it with you. Ha!
Trisch
Jul 27, 2011 Trisch rated it liked it
Read first few chapters fully got the idea then skimmed the rest. A really good system a bit querky.
Hunter Johnson
Jan 31, 2014 Hunter Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Familiar advice, but advice that bears repeating. Could stand to be updated for electronic tools, but I still liked to metaphors of Cockpit & Air Traffic Control.
Lena
Lena rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Herbert
Herbert rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Joanne Rixon
Joanne Rixon rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Laurie
Laurie rated it liked it
May 06, 2008
Diana
Diana rated it liked it
Jul 27, 2008
Teresa Cutler-Broyles
Teresa Cutler-Broyles rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2015
Sheryl
Sheryl rated it really liked it
Nov 09, 2014
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2008
Leslie
Leslie rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2009
Edwin
Edwin rated it it was ok
Jan 23, 2017
Kellypuffs Smith
Kellypuffs Smith rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2008
Breezy
Breezy rated it it was ok
May 22, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2009
Kelly
Oct 15, 2011 Kelly marked it as abandoned
I am apparently not organized enough to finish this book.
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2009
Laurie Letz
I learned that I am a hopeless clutterbug.
S
Jun 20, 2008 S marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2-non-fiction
650.1 DAV
Aja
Aja rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2012
Margaret Thompsondonovan
Margaret Thompsondonovan rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Order from Chaos Vs Getting Things Done--Which do you prefer? 1 5 Apr 13, 2008 07:16PM