Start by marking “Up in a Heaval (Xanth, #26)” as Want to Read:
Up in a Heaval (Xanth, #26)

Up in a Heaval (Xanth #26)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,831 ratings  ·  20 reviews
A Spot of Trouble

An innocent piece of Mundane Snail Mail has provoked the dreaded Demon Jupiter to hurl his Red Spot at the magical land of Xanth. As the dire Dot draws closer, the unwelcome ordeal of saving the enchanted realm falls to Umlaut, an unlikely lad with an unknown past and an uncertain future. With a handful of colorful companions at his side, Umlaut must unrav
Mass Market Paperback, 342 pages
Published October 19th 2003 by Tor Fantasy (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Up in a Heaval, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up in a Heaval

Danjo
I bought this for a dollar and felt cheated.
Kirsti
Another great Piers Anthony book. Like many before it, this one deals with a demon contest, using mortals to decide the outcome. Umlaut isn't real, although he thinks he is. He is sent on a mission by the Good Magician to deliver letters across Xanth, and along with Sesame serpent, Sammy Cat, Para Boat, and Claire Voyant Cat he discovers new characters and makes a mark on the world he was never meant to exist in. I loved seeing Surprise/Umlaut interaction, and the Souffle/Sesame.

I liked that the
Megan
I don't know whether I used to like Anthony more when I was younger, or if his books have just gotten worse the further into the series he goes. I suspect it's a bit of both. I didn't enjoy this one much at all. When he was writing the actual story (which was only about the last 20 pages of the entire book) I liked it. When he was going on and on, page after page of one horrible pun after another, I could only roll my eyes and wonder when he'd stop. Serious - he needs to start concentrating on t ...more
 Dr Mark C
Nov 02, 2007 Dr Mark C added it
Recommends it for: Humor and fantasy readers, punsters
Piers always has megatons of puns supplied by his readers and this is no exception. All his Xanth series (dozens) are always a fun delight for fantasy - not for kids really due to adult conspiracy matters. Plots run with related characters from one to another, and don't expect anything realated to reality (except swipes at political matters). Xanth is a magical and bizarre world that takes getting used to - not for those looking for heavy, dark, depressing, books that make one feel depressed, or ...more
Meg
Jan 25, 2010 Meg rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: fantasy
One reads the later Xanth novels less for the plot and more for the meeting of one's favorite characters from the earlier novels. Up in a Heaval, although thorougly likeable, was longer than necessary. It follows the now old fantasy formula of going on a journey and meeting exciting adventures (in this case, puns) along the way. It is still fun to read and had a satisfying resolution, but I would have liked it more if it was either shorter, or had less fluff and more story. It does still get fun ...more
Roger
The puns were very creative - Loan Sharks swimming in the bay kind of thing. But by the end of the book they were getting somewhat tiresome. Some of the puns I wasn't able to figure out, but I knew that they must be puns.
The story is good; the couple expressing their love at the end and their willingness to sacrifice for each other. Impressive. Everybody ends up with a their own lover, of their own kind. Perhaps too good of an ending.
Natalie
Loved this one, it felt like more classic Xanth, but with the Demons that have recently been involved mixed in there too!
Debra Meyer
it was different but it was good
Jeremiah Johnson
There wasn't a lot wrong with this book, it just wasn't very interesting. The story was dull and served no purpose other than to move from one lame pun to another.
The chapters from the cats' point of view were somewhat fun, but not enough to save it.
This Xanth story was lack luster in comparison to the other Xanth adventures. The puns were on the weak side, and the main character was dull. The plot meandered and lacked focus and was hard to follow.
Kaylynn Johnsen
I'm starting to get annoyed by the unnecessary puns. I know a lot come from readers and I am guilty myself of writing an email to Piers Anthony. But, sometimes it seems to slow the story up.
Theresa
there is a great change in Xanth, things are not as they should be but all the leading characters have to change things back to normal
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. I love the complexity of the quests involving the big Demons.
Michelle
I'd didn't like this one as much as the last one I read (#25), but it was still a very fun read.
Andrew Eberle
Reduced 1 star for the annoying letters that were integral to the plot but annoying all the same.
Cathy Holford
A fun read. I love to escape to Xanth with all the punny funs or funny puns.
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who like Xanth
You'll just have to read it to find out about it..
It's worth it. It is.
Irene
I haven't read all of the books but this is the worst one BY FAR
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Shawn
Young adult 10-15
Lauren Ricciardella
Lauren Ricciardella marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Payten
Payten marked it as to-read
Joe Staggs
Joe Staggs marked it as to-read
Megan Love
Megan Love marked it as to-read
Kelley
Kelley marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Something M.Y.T.H. Inc. (Myth Adventures, #12)
  • Dragon and the Fair Maid of Kent
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Voyage of the Basset
  • Sword of Ice and Other Tales of Valdemar (Tales of Valdemar #1)
  • The Silver Mage (Deverry, #15; The Dragon Mage, #7)
  • Witches' Brew (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #5)
  • Darknesses (Corean Chronicles, #2)
  • The Modern Library Writer's Workshop: A Guide to the Craft of Fiction
  • Relic of Empire (Forbidden Borders, #2)
  • Acorna's Triumph (Acorna #7)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth, #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth, #10)
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)