Start by marking “Hawaiian Sunrise” as Want to Read:
Hawaiian Sunrise

Hawaiian Sunrise

A Journey Home Was Her Only Hope...

Caught in the clutches of yesterday's nightmares, Maddy Morton finds herself in a position she vowed would never happen: desperate and penniless. Though her son, Nicholas, is wearing resentment like a badge, Maddy flees with him to her childhood home, only to find her widowed father a sullen and broken man.

Determined to piece together the
Published March 1st 1999 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 1999)

Mom
Nov 30, 2014 Mom rated it it was amazing
What a hard life for Maddy but when she finds out her ex-husband is killed in a prison breakout she can finally let down her guard. Kam was the ever patient man who loves Maddy from the start and is there in the end to capture her love. Nicholas is a typical teenager and it is fun reading about interaction between Maddy and him. Children can be so hard to raise at times. Loved the Hawaiian setting - something different than I've read before.
Pathway Midland
Nov 30, 2012 Pathway Midland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Maddy Morton ran away to marry Gabe against her parents’ wishes as a strong willed teen, her father told her to never come back. But now she has returned to the Big Island of Hawaii with her ten year old son Nicholas to try to make a new life for them. Her abusive husband has been imprisoned on drug charges, but has threatened to harm them when he is released. Her father Jesse reluctantly allows them stay, but offers no support.

Since the death of Maddy’s brother and mother, her father has l
Carol
Aug 08, 2016 Carol rated it it was amazing
This book makes the fear of an abusing spouse seem real!

Maddy Morton looked around the empty apartment, leaving was hard. Nicholas didn't want to leave & her teeth ached from her reaction to the frustration. Nicholas reaction mirrored hers. He told her that he hated her. He used forbidden words, trying to be tough. She was hoping that pop would let her stay with him, where they'd be safe. She would do anything to save her son, even go back with her dad. Rita came & picked them up, Maddy
Grace Fullerton
Mar 07, 2016 Grace Fullerton rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who have been abused, Readers who like the Bible and Hawai'i
As someone moving to Hawai'i, and someone who has been there before, I was taken aback at how well the culture was in this book. Throughout the book the Hawaiian words "lanai" "haole" and I'm not sure it ever said "aloha" but "mahalo" was there and it was all spelled right and just <3. The abuse was dealt with sensitively. The details are not graphic. It's just referred to as her remembering having her arm broken or being beaten and then references to her husband being a drug dealer. Most of ...more
Dorrice
Feb 18, 2014 Dorrice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lauraine Snelling is one of my favorite authors. I have read several of her books and hope to read many more. Until now all I have read by her were historical fiction,but Hawaiian Sunrise is contemporary. Like much of Christian fiction one or more of the main characters is dealing with serious doubts about God, ranging from anger at Him to wondering if He even exists. This is caused by trials, usually traumatic ones,such as spousal abuse, or the loss of a child or other loved one.

In this story
Allan67
Aug 26, 2016 Allan67 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book that I read to Diana. We can't do much anymore after her stroke, so I read to her to spend time together. Diana has always loved to have someone to read to her - and I like to do just that.

Diana enjoyed this story of an abused young woman, who with her ten year old son, fled from her situation to return home to live with a bitter father on his farm in Hawaii. The story of this segment of her life was difficult, always an uphill struggle until......

Diana liked the book, she would e
Jeni Enjaian
I started this book with low expectations and that likely helped improve my opinion of the book.
I used to love Lauraine Snelling's books, particularly her young adult series. However, as I read more of her adult novels I became increasingly disappointed in her writing style. This book managed to avoid most of the cheesy Christian fiction clichés that I hate. (Though the ending was absolutely fantastically cheesy; I almost gagged.)
It's a decent story with decent plot and character development so
Beverly
Apr 23, 2016 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perseverance

The Word of God tells us if we fight the good fight of faith that we can overcome fear. It also tells us that if we persevere to the end that we will overcome . I saw this through the lines of the written words on the pages if this penning. I would have liked maybe a sequel to follow up on the days after the storms of life.
Amanda williams
Apr 22, 2008 Amanda williams rated it it was amazing
I learned that parents care about you and that even if you dislike one of your relatives to try to be nice because even when you think you are going to dislike them for the rest of your life; you won't because you love them too much.
jerri Lee
Jun 16, 2016 jerri Lee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I have many times before I have truly enjoyed reading another exceptional book by Lauraine Smelling.

What a great author. I think I have read every book she has written and some of them more than once.
Elizabeth
Aug 10, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book which deals with domestic violence, set in the beauty of Hawaii.
Cws
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Cafelilybookreviews
Cafelilybookreviews rated it liked it
May 06, 2010
Linda A Barrett
Linda A Barrett rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Stephanie Herron
Stephanie Herron rated it it was amazing
Dec 18, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2017
Colleen Blanchard
Colleen Blanchard rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Bethany
Bethany rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2011
R Kenneth Ledford
R Kenneth Ledford rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2016
Peaches
Peaches rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2016
Janice
Janice rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2015
Donna
Donna rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2012
Alisa
Alisa rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2010
Leanne Elliott
Leanne Elliott rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2014
kimberly tucker
kimberly tucker rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2015
Cheryl Miller
Cheryl Miller rated it really liked it
Mar 08, 2009
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jun 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Too Long a Stranger
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • Twice Loved (Belles of Timber Creek #1)
  • Along Came Jones
  • The Hope Within (Heirs of Montana, #4)
  • Twice Promised (The Blue Willow Brides, #2)
  • All Our Tomorrows
  • Prayer and Temperament
  • The Crosswicks Journals (Omnibus, Books 1-3)
  • Wisdom and the Millers: Proverbs for Children
  • Smoke Jensen: The Beginning
  • The Glorious Prodigal: 1917
  • Dropping Your Guard
  • Introduction to Aristotle
  • Kingdoms in Conflict
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...