Start by marking “Breaking Free” as Want to Read:
Breaking Free

Breaking Free

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Maggie Roberts is starting over again after her reckless driving led to a 10-year prison sentence and the devastating loss of her son. Having learned to repurpose retired thoroughbred racehorses through an inmate training program, Maggie finds a way to rebuild her life. But it's not until she meets single father Gil Winters and his wheelchair-bound son, Edward, that she fi ...more
Published August 1st 2007 by Faithwords (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Free

Kisses from Katie by Katie J. DavisThe Chance by Karen KingsburyOrphan Train by Christina Baker KlineThunder and Rain by Charles MartinUnwritten by Charles Martin
CCC Book Club List 2014
41st out of 64 books — 44 voters
Shattered by Dani PettreyDon't Look Back by Lynette EasonToo Close to Home by Lynette EasonA Killer Among Us by Lynette EasonMy Stubborn Heart by Becky Wade
Great Christian Variety
83rd out of 96 books — 37 voters

More lists with this book...

I was torn between giving this book two or three stars.

I'm becoming more and more discouraged with the inspirational fiction genre. Lately, it seems that the books I've read in this genre have been poorly written and Breaking Free is on the cusp. There were some good points to the book, but I found too many weak parts for the book to be truly inspiring or "heart-warming." I pick up inspirational fiction books for the positive message with the fluffy, chick-lit aspects. That doesn't mean that an
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
One of the first favorite genre's I remember loving to read when I was a child were horse stories. Anything that evoked the love between the horse and his owner was enough to make me wish for a horse of my own. I don't think there were many young girls who didn't wish for a horse when they were younger. Now that same feeling came back when I read Lauraine Snelling's novel, Breaking Free. Breaking Free is a retired ex-racehorse who has been abused and is in need of healing and restoration if that ...more
This was a beautiful story with several very good parts and a few exceptional descriptions. However, overall, it was poorly written. There are quite a few punctuation errors, and it reads like a cheesy romance novel (despite containing very little romance). In addition, there are no gradual changes in this book, and every decision is made abruptly, no matter how major.

But before I go too far into my complaints and scare all the readers away: it is a light read with good morals and plenty of hors
Maybe 3.5

I read this book for my local book club. Never heard of the book, nor the author but was pleasantly surprised.
I liked how the author began the tale of Maggie and her prison life. The beginning of this book really drew me in and I liked it. I began to grow closer to the characters like Kool Kat and the horse trainer. Maggie is an okay character but she was a little weak for me. She wasn't exactly a whiner, which was nice, but she came off weak to me.
I liked how the author described pri
BREAKING FREE is a wonderful book about second chances. Maggie Roberts has been incarcerated for ten years. She has closed herself off from others and kept her head down, just trying to get by. But when the opportunity comes along for her to work with a retired thoroughbred, the offer is too tempting to ignore. She rediscovers her love of horses and begins to feel as if she again has purpose in life.

Gil Winters, a single dad, is raising his son, who suffers from Spina Bifida alone. Eddie is lear
Maggie Roberts received the maximum sentence in a drunk driving conviction that killed her 3-year old son and the driver of the other car. A few months before her parole hearing, the prison partners with the Thoroughbred Heartland Foundation. The foundation takes retired racehorses and retrains them. Maggie is chosen as one of the participants.
Breaking Free is one of the first horses in the program. He is an abused horse that lashes out at anyone who tried to help. Maggie soon figures out that
Maggie Roberts has been in prison for seven long years and has gotten by keeping a low profile. Suddenly toward the end of her term, see if noticed by fellow inmate DC and starts to fear for her life. Luckily at that time she gets a chance to work in a retired Thoroughbred racehorse program. Working there pairs her with one special horse, Breaking Free, and gives her a chance to shorten her sentence.

I liked this book, but didn’t love it. I really liked that it was a unique story to me with the l
I read this book (well, listened to it) because it was on an iPod of my Mom's that I was borrowing. There isn't anything spectacular to this story and I had a hard time getting into it. I felt like there were a few plot lines that were started and then forgotten as the book went on without getting resolved. My main issue was the ending. It wrapped up WAY too nicely without resolving some of the main issues that were through out the whole book. All of a sudden everyone was just happy and everythi ...more
Ian Wooder
This book is good.

It is a a great just "feel good" book.

If you're feeling down or just need a pick me up, this is the book or you.

I enjoyed reading it.
Tee Mcdaniel
It was a good read but left me wanting more I hope there is a book two so I can know what happened to the other prisoners and the horse rescue program.
Any time an author uses therapeutic animals, it's bound to be a good story even if not well told. This one is both well told and interesting. A bit trite but forgivable in such an easy read.
Serena Lawson
Really enjoyed this book and loved all the detail she included in taking care of horses! I wasn't sure that I would like that part of the book but I really enjoyed it.
Kristi Krumnow
Horse + Prison + father man who makes enough money to buy 3 horses on a whim. Nice story about a little boy and the reciprocated love for a retired race horse named Breaking Free.
Michele Minor
This is a very good book where the two main characters need to learn about forgiveness. Maggie needs to forgive herself for an accident that she was sent to prison for after drinking two glasses of wine one evening and getting behind the wheel of a car and she had lost her family as a result of the accident. Gil needs to forgive his ex wife for leaving their son because of his spinal bifida. Breaking Free is a horse that Maggie trains while in prison and Gil purchases him for his son. Maggie com ...more
Review on Amazon:

Breaking Free was a great book with a really good story! I liked all of the facts about training horses and how second chances were a major theme in the book. The characters were nice and I enjoyed the little bit of romance that was in Breaking Free.

Overall, a great book! I recommend it if you enjoy contemporary reads with animals being a big part of the story. :)

*I borrowed this book from the library. I was not required to write a review
Highly predictable ending, but such a good book!!!! Recommend everyone to read it especially if you love animals.
Christina Binkley
Great Book! I enjoyed this book.
a tear jerker at times!
Sweet story of acceptance & love.
May 31, 2008 Tanisausa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who would like to put someone else shoes for a change
Shelves: romance
Breaking free was just a book that had a beautiful cover but I bougth anyway. I love horses and it had a horse in it.
But don't you think the whole thing its only about some race horse with a bad tamper, Its more than that. Its about prejudice, about judgment at the firts sight.
I learn that we need to dream and do our part to make that dream a reality; to forgive and to forget and learn to trust another person and yourself. And NEVER just get through life even if you are 24/6 like me.
I didn't dislike this book but I didn't love it, either. I picked it up because I like to read any fiction with horses in it, and to that end it kept me interested; though I found it to be fairly predictable and somewhat unrealistic as far as the horse part of it was concerned. The characters were likeable enough and there were some well-written parts that jumped out at me. It seemed like the story didn't have a lot of momentum until the very end and then it was over.
This was not one of Lauraine Snellings best books but I still enjoyed it. It's about a lady who goes to prison for seven years for killing two people in a car accident. The story line was a little weak and very predictable but I still thought the book was an okay read.
Karol Anderson
Great book! I am too quick to judge someone who has been convicted of a crime as a "bad" person and I think I might be like Gil and not want my child around an ex-con without truly knowing the circumstances or the person. Of course it has horses & faith so its gotta be good!
Kristan Anne
Good story, but I felt like it finished in a hurry. I think there needed to be a little more development to the romantic part of the story. It was pretty obvious where it was going though so I wasn't too disappointed. I'll probably read more from this author.
Tishia (Paperback Opinion)
This was not really my type of book, but it was a good story. It's actually scary to be reminded that one bad decision could drastically change your life. I think this is supposed to be an uplifting book, but I still feel sad for the main character.
One of my favorite authors. She builds a story around animal rescue groups, specifically a program in New York that rescues Race Horses and in the process provides therapy to prison women who participate in the rehabilitation of the horses.
It took awhile for me to get into this book. Perhaps it's because the initial setting of the book is a women's prison....not something I can relate to very well. Maybe, it's just the book.
This was a quick read, feel good book. If you like horses this is for you! A sweet book on forgiveness and the ability to rise above our mistakes and make something more of ourselves.
I loved this book. The frightening aspect that a single moment can change our lives and take us down a path we would never have believed we would find ourselves.
  • House of Mercy
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • A Man for Temperance (Wagon Wheel Series #2)
  • Thick as Thieves (Circle C Milestones, #1)
  • Remember Me When (Women of Hope #2)
  • At Home in Dry Creek
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Broken Wings
  • The Winner's Game
  • Ghostwriter
  • Where the Heart Leads (Heart of the Prairie #2)
  • After All (Hanover Falls, #3)
  • Alone Yet Not Alone
  • Deployed (Called to Serve, #1)
  • Heart Echoes (Side Roads #3)
  • Honor Redeemed (First Responders #2)
  • Abby Finds Her Calling (Home at Cedar Creek, #1)
  • Firestorm
Lauraine Snelling is the award-winning author of over seventy books, with sales of more than 2 million copies.

She also writes for a wide range of magazines, and helps others reach their writing dreams by teaching at writers’ conferences across the country.

Lauraine and her husband, Wayne, have two grown sons, and live in the Tehachapi Mountains with a watchdog Basset named Winston.

They love to tra
More about Lauraine Snelling...