Start by marking “Pet Peeve (Xanth, #29)” as Want to Read:
Pet Peeve (Xanth, #29)

Pet Peeve (Xanth #29)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  1,739 ratings  ·  26 reviews
A relentless horde of renegade robots has plunged the fate of Xanth in dire peril. All that stands between the enchanted land and destruction is a most unlikely hero, a moody, mild-mannered Goblin named Goody, who must summon all of his courage and determination to overcome this abominable army of automatons.
Brimming with heart-stopping adventure and heart-warming delight,...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Pet Peeve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pet Peeve

Sally
Anthony is always ready to entertain with ridiculous puns and endearing heroes. Goody Goblin is one of his finest - an outcast of his kind for being far too polite - with a quest that only he could complete - placing the peevish pet who loves a good insult.

I really enjoy Anthony's style - his plots are always loosely woven, allowing us to see through the fabric of the tale and in to Xanth proper. This wonderful tale gives us access to new puns and old friends, such as Che Centaur, Magician Trent...more
Mia Darien
What can I say? I will, unto eternity, be a Piers Anthony fan.

When I was ten to eleven, I saw the book "Night Mare" at the library. I tried to read it twice but it was too much for me. That third time? I was up until seven in the morning reading it and I was hooked, despite the fact that I read them totally out of order.

Ever since, Xanth novels have had a spot in my "auto-buy" category and I've read... four series of his and assorted other books. I love his site about digital publishers. He is t...more
Amy
I suppose it doesn't help matters that this was my first Piers Anthony book. My boyfriend lent it to me over 3 1/2 years ago when we were just starting to date. He said that he thought I'd like it and that it reminded him of me. I read about 1/3 of the book before I lost it and just now found it during unpacking. So I started afresh and reread it, start to finish. It's a somewhat entertaining diversion, but had it not been for my particular backstory with the book, I probably wouldn't have finis...more
I really should have stopped reading this series long before I did. Some habits are just hard to break I guess. Or maybe I didn't want to feel like a quitter. The books were enjoyable when I was younger, but as I got older, more and more aspects of the plots and world building bothered me. And after so many books, each new story felt like a re-hash of the previous one, but with different characters substituted for the old.
L.
Goody Goblin is on a mission with his bodyguard Hannah Barbarian (see what I meant about the puns?) to find a home for the Pet Peeve. In Mundania, this would be considered an foul-mouthed parrot. The Peeve certainly lives up to it's name, insulting everyone in sight, and making it almost impossible to find a home for it. Along the way, Goody and Hannah get to understand and like each other. Of course, they both find love along the way too, not to mention saving Xanth in the process.

As another re...more
Kirsti
I guess for me Xanth will never get old. It is my absolute favorite series, and the things others despise I love. I love the formula plot, the romance, the puns, the overlapping worlds, the humor. These books are just plain fun, they don't need to be analyzed, or pulled apart by cri-tics. If you're reading this review wondering how Xanth has changed since the early books, then know the puns and romance is overflowing.

I love finally seeing two deserving characters find love. I won't mention whom...more
Oliver
Since for better or worse, I'm addicted to Piers Anthony's Xanth series I think this book is good. It is not as good as the first three or even the first thirteen for that matter. If you have been following the Xanth series since the beginning as I have, you know that Piers has a formula (he even states this in his author's notes). So it's not hard to predict the story. But, I keep reading them. I think it's like a car crash or a burning building. I love puns and I think I'm looking to see what...more
Shawne
Aug 16, 2007 Shawne rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: diehard Xanth fans
Shelves: fiction
After a while, and especially with the last ten books or so, Xanth books are all the same. If you've persevered with them all your life, you'll keep doing it just for nostalgia's sake. And so I have. Pet Peeve barely stuck in my brain at all, except I know Piers Anthony remains remarkably adept at turning out thousands of punny words that all somehow still amuse - though they don't in any way approach the brilliance of the first few books.
Cary Spratt
I have mixed feelings about this one. I definitely liked it better than the previous novel 'Currant Events', but I had trouble getting into it until about halfway through. The robots were a bit weird, especially Roland, but I enjoyed the bits involving previous fun characters like Jenny Elf, Che and Cynthia, and Gwenny Goblin, and I liked the ending for Goody. I did not anticipate the final home of the peeve. That made me laugh.
Debra Meyer
This one was different the puns weren't as obviously groaners but it was so funny an still has me giggling, this one goes to the top of the list for the better books to read.
Kaylynn Johnsen
I moved a couple of times and didn't really have time to read. Then one day I was at my NEW local library and I decided to see if there were any new Xanth books. There were three. I checked them all out.

I don't think the stories were as well told as before, but that just might be me getting older. But, what can you do, when you've been reading a series for 30 years it's kind of hard to stop.
Chris
i found this on a uso bookshelf. it was free so why not, right?

wow piers, you consistently manage to outcreepify lewis goddamn carrol.

also, i lost count of how many deus ex machinae there were in this.

(previous statements are in regards to piers's work in general, not just pet peeve)
Lisa
Jul 10, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, own
This is taking me forever to read... I have been leaving it lay on the night stand and then find something else... dare I say that I might have possibly burnt myself out on Piers? Say it ain't so.....
Theresa
an anoying parot is force to find a solution to the problems facing xanth and find a home for himself
an interesting concept of xanth creating another perfect match between characters, and a new species.
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
again, a fun book. There is a bird in this book, kinda annoying. Although, it is annoying to other characters in the books too, so maybe it's supposed to be.
but still good!
Susan
Feb 10, 2010 Susan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: adult
It was fun to take another trip to Xanth after an absence of a few years. If you like puns and silliness, you will like the Xanth novels.

Jan
A good Xanth novel. Xanth may not be as much fun now as when I was younger, but occasionally I'm in the mood for a totally silly book.
Lauren Willshire
Witty. Charming. Hysterically funny. Warning-will have you peeing your pants due to laughter. One of my all time favorites.
Kyra Dunst
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. Goody Goblin is polite and courteous, and everything opposite what a goblin should be.
Cheri
If you enjoy 'puns' then you will enjoy any of the of Piers Anthony's Xanth books. They are fun, quick reads.
Andrew Eberle
The peeve is the best character to hit Xanth in years.
Lonerhino
Average story telling for a xanth novel.
Livey Cockman
Another fun addition to the Xanth series.
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Shawn
Young adult 10-15
Dana
fun to read
Jeremiah Johnson
Jeremiah Johnson is currently reading it
Oct 20, 2014
  • Sweet Myth-Tery of Life (Myth Adventures, #10)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)
  • The Restorer's Son
  • Bring Me the Head of Prince Charming (Millennial Contest, #1)
  • The Knights of the Black Earth: A Mag Force 7 Novel
  • Tik-Tok
  • Tales of Uncle Trapspringer (Dragonlance: Adventures in Krynn)
  • Untitled (Chicagoland Vampires, #12)
  • Cain's Identity (Scanguards Vampires, #9)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm...more
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)