Start by marking “Pet Peeve (Xanth #29)” as Want to Read:
Pet Peeve (Xanth #29)

Pet Peeve (Xanth #29)

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,003 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
A relentless horde of renegade robots has plunged the fate of Xanth in dire peril. All that stands between the enchanted land and destruction is a most unlikely hero, a moody, mild-mannered Goblin named Goody, who must summon all of his courage and determination to overcome this abominable army of automatons.
Brimming with heart-stopping adventure and heart-warming delight,
Published October 3rd 2006 by Tor Fantasy (first published October 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Pet Peeve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pet Peeve

Sally
Dec 12, 2009 Sally rated it really liked it
Anthony is always ready to entertain with ridiculous puns and endearing heroes. Goody Goblin is one of his finest - an outcast of his kind for being far too polite - with a quest that only he could complete - placing the peevish pet who loves a good insult.

I really enjoy Anthony's style - his plots are always loosely woven, allowing us to see through the fabric of the tale and in to Xanth proper. This wonderful tale gives us access to new puns and old friends, such as Che Centaur, Magician Trent
Denise
May 21, 2015 Denise rated it liked it
This is the twenty-nineth volume in the series. It begins with Goody Goblin, cursed with politeness (unlike other goblins who are generally verbally abusive) being give the Finger, and actual human finger in a box. He tries to get rid of it but it comes back to poke and prod him. This occasions a trip to visit the Good (but crabby) Magician Humpfrey who solves the problem but demands a service in return. For helping Good get rid of the Finger, the Magician demands that he find a home for a talki ...more
Mia Darien
Feb 13, 2012 Mia Darien rated it really liked it
What can I say? I will, unto eternity, be a Piers Anthony fan.

When I was ten to eleven, I saw the book "Night Mare" at the library. I tried to read it twice but it was too much for me. That third time? I was up until seven in the morning reading it and I was hooked, despite the fact that I read them totally out of order.

Ever since, Xanth novels have had a spot in my "auto-buy" category and I've read... four series of his and assorted other books. I love his site about digital publishers. He is t
Amy
Jan 09, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I suppose it doesn't help matters that this was my first Piers Anthony book. My boyfriend lent it to me over 3 1/2 years ago when we were just starting to date. He said that he thought I'd like it and that it reminded him of me. I read about 1/3 of the book before I lost it and just now found it during unpacking. So I started afresh and reread it, start to finish. It's a somewhat entertaining diversion, but had it not been for my particular backstory with the book, I probably wouldn't have finis ...more
Jan 28, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I really should have stopped reading this series long before I did. Some habits are just hard to break I guess. Or maybe I didn't want to feel like a quitter. The books were enjoyable when I was younger, but as I got older, more and more aspects of the plots and world building bothered me. And after so many books, each new story felt like a re-hash of the previous one, but with different characters substituted for the old.
L.
Sep 16, 2013 L. rated it liked it
Goody Goblin is on a mission with his bodyguard Hannah Barbarian (see what I meant about the puns?) to find a home for the Pet Peeve. In Mundania, this would be considered an foul-mouthed parrot. The Peeve certainly lives up to it's name, insulting everyone in sight, and making it almost impossible to find a home for it. Along the way, Goody and Hannah get to understand and like each other. Of course, they both find love along the way too, not to mention saving Xanth in the process.

As another re
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Apr 29, 2016 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: Piers Anthony
Peerless Piers Anthony's 29th Xanth novel is always more fun than a month full of Pundays! Xanth is again plunged in immediate danger. Moody, mild-mannered Goody Goblin and Hannah are among a few of the heroes of Xanth gathered for this adventure through a land that is the look alike to Florida, who need all of their courage, fortitude, and determination to rid the realm from a horde of relentless renegade rampaging robots. Not to be missed! Many puns ensue! I always laugh until I cry; Piers is ...more
Annette McIntyre
Full of adventure and derring do, but it the over adultness of the younger characters is annoying. Otherwise a fun read.
Kirsti
Dec 19, 2013 Kirsti rated it it was amazing
I guess for me Xanth will never get old. It is my absolute favorite series, and the things others despise I love. I love the formula plot, the romance, the puns, the overlapping worlds, the humor. These books are just plain fun, they don't need to be analyzed, or pulled apart by cri-tics. If you're reading this review wondering how Xanth has changed since the early books, then know the puns and romance is overflowing.

I love finally seeing two deserving characters find love. I won't mention whom
Oliver
Jan 17, 2012 Oliver rated it liked it
Since for better or worse, I'm addicted to Piers Anthony's Xanth series I think this book is good. It is not as good as the first three or even the first thirteen for that matter. If you have been following the Xanth series since the beginning as I have, you know that Piers has a formula (he even states this in his author's notes). So it's not hard to predict the story. But, I keep reading them. I think it's like a car crash or a burning building. I love puns and I think I'm looking to see what ...more
Shawne
Aug 16, 2007 Shawne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: diehard Xanth fans
Shelves: fiction
After a while, and especially with the last ten books or so, Xanth books are all the same. If you've persevered with them all your life, you'll keep doing it just for nostalgia's sake. And so I have. Pet Peeve barely stuck in my brain at all, except I know Piers Anthony remains remarkably adept at turning out thousands of punny words that all somehow still amuse - though they don't in any way approach the brilliance of the first few books.
Cary Spratt
Oct 05, 2013 Cary Spratt rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I have mixed feelings about this one. I definitely liked it better than the previous novel 'Currant Events', but I had trouble getting into it until about halfway through. The robots were a bit weird, especially Roland, but I enjoyed the bits involving previous fun characters like Jenny Elf, Che and Cynthia, and Gwenny Goblin, and I liked the ending for Goody. I did not anticipate the final home of the peeve. That made me laugh.
Debra Meyer
Jul 31, 2014 Debra Meyer rated it it was amazing
This one was different the puns weren't as obviously groaners but it was so funny an still has me giggling, this one goes to the top of the list for the better books to read.
Kaylynn Johnsen
Aug 23, 2009 Kaylynn Johnsen rated it liked it
I moved a couple of times and didn't really have time to read. Then one day I was at my NEW local library and I decided to see if there were any new Xanth books. There were three. I checked them all out.

I don't think the stories were as well told as before, but that just might be me getting older. But, what can you do, when you've been reading a series for 30 years it's kind of hard to stop.
Jasmine
Jan 29, 2016 Jasmine rated it liked it
* - failed to finish it
** -finished it, but it was a struggle
*** -perfectly readable
**** -enjoyable read
***** -very enjoyable, would (or have) read multiple times
Chris
Feb 23, 2009 Chris rated it did not like it
i found this on a uso bookshelf. it was free so why not, right?

wow piers, you consistently manage to outcreepify lewis goddamn carrol.

also, i lost count of how many deus ex machinae there were in this.

(previous statements are in regards to piers's work in general, not just pet peeve)
Lisa
Jul 10, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, own
This is taking me forever to read... I have been leaving it lay on the night stand and then find something else... dare I say that I might have possibly burnt myself out on Piers? Say it ain't so.....
Theresa
Sep 19, 2012 Theresa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
an anoying parot is force to find a solution to the problems facing xanth and find a home for himself
an interesting concept of xanth creating another perfect match between characters, and a new species.
Aaron
Oct 04, 2007 Aaron rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Xanth fans
again, a fun book. There is a bird in this book, kinda annoying. Although, it is annoying to other characters in the books too, so maybe it's supposed to be.
but still good!
Susan
Feb 10, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: adult
It was fun to take another trip to Xanth after an absence of a few years. If you like puns and silliness, you will like the Xanth novels.

Jan
Jan 08, 2010 Jan rated it really liked it
A good Xanth novel. Xanth may not be as much fun now as when I was younger, but occasionally I'm in the mood for a totally silly book.
Lauren Willshire
Aug 19, 2010 Lauren Willshire rated it it was amazing
Witty. Charming. Hysterically funny. Warning-will have you peeing your pants due to laughter. One of my all time favorites.
Kyra Dunst
Aug 16, 2013 Kyra Dunst rated it it was amazing
The Xanth series is one of my favorites. Goody Goblin is polite and courteous, and everything opposite what a goblin should be.
Cheri
Sep 06, 2010 Cheri rated it liked it
Shelves:
If you enjoy 'puns' then you will enjoy any of the of Piers Anthony's Xanth books. They are fun, quick reads.
Andrew Eberle
Mar 03, 2008 Andrew Eberle rated it really liked it
The peeve is the best character to hit Xanth in years.
Lonerhino
May 15, 2013 Lonerhino rated it liked it
Average story telling for a xanth novel.
Livey
Aug 03, 2009 Livey rated it liked it
Another fun addition to the Xanth series.
Ticklish Owl
What can I say, I have a thing for puns.
Shawn
May 25, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it
Young adult 10-15
Dana
Sep 25, 2007 Dana rated it it was amazing
fun to read
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Myth-Chief (Myth Adventures, #18)
  • The Knights of the Black Earth: A Mag Force 7 Novel
  • Vampires Don't Sparkle!
  • Mastered 2: Ten Tales of Sensual Surrender
  • Tales of Uncle Trapspringer (Dragonlance: Adventures in Krynn)
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • The Warmasters
  • Faeries (Magical Worlds of Fantasy)
  • Emperor of Ansalon (Dragonlance: Villains, #3)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)