Start by marking “Looking for Cassandra Jane (Second Chances, #1)” as Want to Read:
Looking for Cassandra Jane (Second Chances, #1)

Looking for Cassandra Jane (Second Chances #1)

Written in first-person, memoir style, this is the heart-touching story of Cass Maxwell, a girl struggling to find her identity during the turbulent sixties and seventies. Forced to make her own way from childhood, Cass's strength of spirit lifts her above her circumstances as God calls her to a life of hope and freedom.
Paperback
Published May 1st 2002 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published April 22nd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Cassandra Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Cassandra Jane

Jenna
Sep 03, 2007 Jenna rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians, novel-readers
A heavy book of topics that is easy to read.

A young woman deals with an abusive past and stumbles into a cult. The story follows her through the stages of her life. You can't help but root for her while simultaneously wanting to shake some sense into her skull.

Heavy topics the book hits on: child abuse, death, Christianity to cult beliefs, anxiety, rape, drug addiction (use and selling), alcoholism, adoption/foster care, child loss, and a brief mention of suicide.
Crash Queen (Whimsy and Stardust)
Jun 22, 2013 Crash Queen (Whimsy and Stardust) rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: the author
Recommended to Crash Queen by: *sobs*
I can't read another page of this. It's been weeks. I'm done. No book has been this hopeless for me. I just can't.

--------*Actual Review*--------

Okay, where to start?

I think one of the reasons this book was so hard to read was that it was so generic and repetitive. I mean, how many times can we go through Cassandra's father beating her and going to jail?

Also, Cassandra is a 1980's version of Jane Doe. It seems like all of Melody Carlson's main characters are the same - just with a differen
Dawn
Oct 26, 2008 Dawn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Dawn by: My sister Nellie.
Loved this book. I have never read this author before, but the story she wrote kept me very interested. There are so many things that Cassandra deals with in her life (abuse, death, drugs, cults, religion). There are times you feel sad for her, times you are routing for her & times you just want to shake some sense into her. I think this book would make a great movie if it was done right.
Hannah Brenneman
Hahahahaha! All I can say is this book is seriously messed up!!!!! As much as I love melody carson, this book is really weird!!!
Heidi
Jun 22, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
A gem! I can't find it anywhere besides my bookshelf... couldn't order any for the bookstore! It is about a girl growing up in the 60's with multiple barriers and limited adult support.
Jazzy
Mar 12, 2017 Jazzy rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I got through close to one hundred pages, and found myself disappointed. She brushed over so many serious things. I respect teenagers being ridiculous, but the whole "Jesus-freak fad" word usage upset me greatly. I loved her teen books, and expected great things picking up my first adult novel from her. I have found myself wondering if this is the same author at all. I don't know if I'll pick up another.
Bookishlyinclinded
Feb 22, 2017 Bookishlyinclinded rated it it was ok
Strangely written and hard to get into
Kaye
Apr 25, 2010 Kaye rated it liked it
No doubt about it, this was a quick read. I don't know though if I would recommend it to anyone though. Cassandra Jane grows up with a heinously abusive father and a neglectful aunt. Her life is pretty crappy, and she gets the bad breaks all the way around. Whenever she has someone to love who loves her, they are separated permanently. Eventually she finds Jesus, but he comes in the form of a cult leader named Sky, whose madness grows more extreme, and people start to die. Cassandra's journey to ...more
Mandy
Apr 19, 2009 Mandy rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone struggling with people dictating their relationship with God.
I had a really hard time getting into this book for about the first third. From then on, I didn't want to put it down. The writing style is fairly simple, and the story isn't fancy, but it is a good tale of perseverance and strength.

I have a history of attending a church in which people were a little TOO involved in my relationship with God. It wasn't a cult, thank goodness, but I related to Cass' confusion about Sky's role in her spirituality. It was good for me to watch her work out that proc
Jen
Jul 23, 2012 Jen rated it liked it
This is more like a 3.5 almost a four. An engaging story of one woman's faith journey through a lot of adverse situations beginning with the death of her mother and growing up with an alcoholic and abusive father. Highlights a good and faithful God, who is always near, and the power of faithful friends as well.
Nov 25, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it
I finally got my hands on a copy of this one thanks to a used book store! It was a really interesting read, from the Jesus culture of the time period to a girl's growing into maturity. While it is a work of fiction and somewhat extreme, I imagine many believers can see parts of their story in the life of Cassandra.
Fartun Ali
Mar 19, 2009 Fartun Ali rated it it was amazing
Made me kinda wish i lived in the 70's.
Mary
Jul 27, 2008 Mary rated it it was ok
Honestly, this wasn't my favorite book ever. It was very long and kinda sad.
Missy
Aug 15, 2010 Missy rated it it was ok
This book had few interesting parts for me. Aside from the bit about cults and Cass and Joey's romance, this book was way too much about "finding Jesus" for me.
Maisie
May 16, 2012 Maisie rated it really liked it
This was OKAY
Paul
Sep 02, 2012 Paul rated it it was amazing

Fictional account of a step by step plunge into a cult in the sixties.
Mar 07, 2008 Laura rated it liked it
My leave favorite of Melody Carlson's books.
Alex
Apr 28, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-books
Another excellent Melody Carlson book.
Megblick
Megblick rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2014
Vonda
Vonda rated it it was amazing
Aug 28, 2008
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2009
Melissa Long
Melissa Long rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2012
Katrina Elise
Katrina Elise rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2009
Danell
Danell rated it liked it
Oct 26, 2009
Siobhan Burke
Siobhan Burke rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Linsey
Linsey rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2008
Mary Williams stoinski
Mary Williams stoinski rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2013
Laura rated it it was amazing
Jan 17, 2013
Jessie McClain
Jessie McClain rated it it was amazing
Sep 01, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Mar 10, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • I Promise (Christy and Todd, The College Years #3)
  • Waking Beauty: A Novel
  • Locked in the Library! (Arthur Chapter Book, #6)
  • Deborah's Story (Women of the Bible #2)
  • A Simple Spring (Seasons of Lancaster #2)
  • In Light of Eternity: Perspectives on Heaven
  • What Girls Learn
  • Normal Girl
  • What Every Girl (Except Me) Knows
  • Star Struck
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • Overwhelmed: Winning the War Against Worry
  • Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1)
  • The Prophet: Amos (Sons of Encouragement, #4)
Melody Carlson is the award-winning author of over two hundred books, several of them Christmas novellas from Revell, including her much-loved and bestselling book, The Christmas Bus.

She also writes many teen books, including the Diary of a Teenage Girl series, the TrueColors series, and the Carter House Girls series.

Melody was nominated for a Romantic Times Career Achievement Award in the inspi
More about Melody Carlson...

Second Chances (6 books)
  • Armando's Treasure (Second Chances, #2)
  • Awakening Heart (Second Chances, #3)
  • Heartland Skies (Second Chances, #4)
  • Shades of Light
  • Built With Love (Second Chances #6)