Start by marking “First Day” as Want to Read:
First Day

First Day (Yearbook Trilogy #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  755 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Jobs. Missions. College. Love. In the sequel to Yearbook, the characters are in the middle of it all. Two and a half years after we left off, Andrea Beckett is a junior at Cornell University in New York. She's caught up in the whirlwind of finals, decisions about jobs . . . and decisions about love, too. Dave Sherman has returned home from his mission, and they will have t ...more
Published June 7th 2007 by Deseret Book

To ask other readers questions about First Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Day

Princess Academy by Shannon HaleFablehaven by Brandon MullThe Goose Girl by Shannon HalePrincess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day GeorgePrincess of Glass by Jessica Day George
Books by Utah Authors
245th out of 727 books — 349 voters
Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites by Chris HeimerdingerPillar of Light by Gerald N. LundCharly by Jack WeylandPrincess Academy by Shannon HaleFire of the Covenant by Gerald N. Lund
Best LDS fiction
183rd out of 456 books — 408 voters

More lists with this book...

Marci
Okay. This is the sequel to "Yearbook." I was excited to read it so that I could see how the characters developed and changed. However, I didn't feel like this book was intriguing or well-rounded as the previous one. It fell more in the lame-LDS-fiction category.

The dialogue often felt fake or forced, characters talking in a mature and developed manner that I don't think fits the average human being. Or maybe I was just really good at fumbling my words in high school and college ;) Anywho, I sti
Katie Watkins
First Day is a sequel to Yearbook. I read the first book awhile ago, so it took me a few minutes to remember which character was which. The story follows a couple of people and their lives over the course of about a year and a half. Each chapter is a different character's point of view, but it was easy to follow (the top of each page told who was "speaking" for the chapter). There were also a few new people--ones who were not in the previous book.

I really enjoyed getting to know Andrea better.
Josh
AUTHOR PRESENTATION CATEGORY

Condie takes the formula from her first novel Yearbook and greatly improves upon it. Rather than it following many different teenagers, it hones in on two of the characters from the first book while exploring two new ones, as they adapt to the changes of life after high school or the final year of it in the case of Caterina Giovanni. I liked this even better than the first because her characters were even more fleshed out. Those who didn't give Ally a chance with Year
Annissa
Out of the series this was my favorite book and the relationship between the two main characters.
Alicia
It's not one of Ally's best. (The best being the matched series) However, I can't be too judgmental because she was writing for an LDS teen audience and the expectations for that audience are very different from the expectations of the wider market.

At any rate, I could see bits of Ally's polished style that emerged in the Matched series. The characters have some depth. Not everyone has a happy ending, but there's a lot of learning. She even managed to use some beautiful prose in places.

So, I p
Karen
I didn't realize that this is part of a series until I got into it, but, it stands on it's own, so it didn't matter.

This is a cute, very Mormon story, following a few different people on their paths of decision making during that difficult young adult and mission time. It was fun to read, and pretty realistic for what a Mormon youth might go through, if you're just focusing on those parts of your life. But, it was just that, sort of a cute little read. I probably won't read the rest of the serie
Madi
Could a book get better than the first?! I ADORED this book. I love stories that have flawed characters. Because, as they grow, you learn so much more about yourself. To me, this was a moving story of young adulthood, and the trials after high school. It sounds so cheesy, but I felt a big connection with these characters and I am so grateful I read this book. It taught me so much about dealing with the unexpected and being able to go through trials with an eternal perspective.
Andrea
It was hard to chose between 3 and 4 stars for this one, but it wasn't as fun to read as the book I read before it, so I went with 3. I did like it, and it was pretty entertaining. It follows several characters as they are making important decisions in life (about college, relationships, etc.). At times I was disappointed when a chapter came up about someone I didn't care about as much as the others because it was interrupting the other stories, but overall it was good.
Connie
I just finished this book. The sequel to yearbook. I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first. It didn't the same to me. The emotions didn't reach me as much. i felt like there were a lot of loose ends and that several of the characters and storylines kind of droppped out of the book. I still would like to read the 3rd book and see if there are some resolutions there. it was nice to see how things ended for Andrea but I think that I was looking for more.
Kate
I really enjoyed this book. Ally again used the different points of view to tell each chapter, but there were only 4 'main characters' this time as opposed to a few more than that in 'Yearbook'. I especially enjoyed Ethan's chapters. I've read books about pre-missionaries and returned missionaries, but I think this was the first time I'd read a book where the perspective of a current missionary was shared.
I'm definitely intrigued to finish out the trilogy!
Cara
I loved this book and it's 1st companion (Yearbook). I was worried at first with all the different points of view that I would never get the characters straight but now that the books are over--I want to read more!! I know she had to edit out many characters because it was too confusing and I wish I could read those now! These were fun reads that I wish I could read everyday.
Gayle
This is the second book in Ally Condie's earlier "Yearbook" series. This one didn't change points of view so often and introduced several new characters. I think she touched on a lot of real issues that people face in regards to making decisions and dealing with trials. I liked the missionary perspective -- it felt like I was getting a more realistic glimpse of missionary life.
Alysha Speer
Aug 22, 2009 Alysha Speer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Alysha by: Jill Sexton
An AMAZING sequel.....I absolutely LOVED it!!!
The whole thing was so perfectly written and so thoroughly thought out.....I couldn't have loved it more!
I loved the way each private person's story sealed up, and how it seemed like there was an overall resolve for all the characters at the end. I love getting that feeling when I read a book.
I can't wait to read the third one!!!
Robyn
I didn't like this one as much as I liked the last one. The story between the Joel and Andrea was the only one that was interesting to me. The missionary story never went anywhere and neither did the teenage girl. Perhaps because I had better hopes for this book I noticed its flaws a lot more. Than the other. No language, no sex, no violence.
Madison
Ah! Done! So so good. I really loved the characters in this one! You can really tell Andrea has matured. I wish it had more details on her wedding and ethan's mission but that's my only complaint. This book made me realize That I would love to serve a mission, but both of my parents think I'll be married by then. We'll see. :)
Angel
Dec 27, 2012 Angel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: women and female teens
The second book in this series. I like the characters. It is more a book of short stories and how the characters' lives intertwine. I would really like to see a whole book about each character but it was a good book. At one point I just started to read the story line of each character because I didn't want their story interrupted.
Katherine
I really enjoy her writing style, and it's not just because I'm related to her. I love how she weaves the story around to include so many different points of view, as each chapter is "written by" one of the main characters. Not anything earth shattering, just a fun story that made me think about my own beliefs and how I can do better.
Hailey
I liked it. Even more than the first one. It's a LDS novel without being to cheesy, and the characters really do grow. It even made me year up a little at the end. One problem is the dialogue isn't great, sometimes it seems very fake and forced. But I like the characters, and overall It was cute. I will be reading the 3rd one.
Lys
I enjoyed this sequel to Yearbook. It followed two of the characters, Andrea and Ethan Beckett, now out of high school. The main story focuses on Andrea. Andrea is attending college in New York and Ethan is on his mission in Brazil. A couple of other characters view points are added to help move the story along.
Pam
I really enjoy this trilogy. It's not a laugh out loud book or a high adventure book, but that's part of what makes it so good. It's ordinary people going through the normal things that life throws at them. But they do it with style. All the point of view characters are highly believable and likeable.
Tausha
I liked this one better than the first of this series. I imagine it is because I finally had some of the characters figured out. lol There were so many to keep track of in the first book. This one was more specific. I liked it, but probably won't place it in my read again pile.
Maren
This is the sequal to Yearbook, and was much better! The author narrowed down the characters to only 4 or so main, so it was way easier to get into their lives. I am way excited to read Reunion, the last in the series...which ever so conveniently came out a few days ago.
Brooklyn
this was the sequel to yearbook. it was good, slow in some parts and it totally left you hanging towards the end...at least on one subject, but it was altogether really good. it had good lessons in it about trust, and cooperation. i really recommend this whole series!
Hollie Robb
I liked how Condie wrote this book more then the content/story of the book, so I think that it should be 3.5 stars. Her characters didn't whine about every little thing and make them keep going around in circles, and mulling around in their short comings.

Mary
Jun 05, 2008 Mary rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young adult and older
Recommended to Mary by: Rebecca Wren
I enjoyed reading this book. Ally Condie has a great style and creates a believable story about young adults moving on to college from high school and dealing with the challenges one faces in this transition. This is a great young adult fiction read!
Melanie Jacobson
Good book. LDS fiction. I found the character development to be really believable and while there were several subplots going on, the focus stays on the two people it should. Just really, really well done characters. That totally makes this story work.
Rebecca
Fun read about college, missions and making major life decisions. It was enjoyable to read about and remember Ithaca. Side note...Ally great book; I am impressed that you have published a few books! I look forward to the next one.
Katie
First day is the sequel to yearbook. This is a good book that has some interesting points but I don't think it lives up to it's predcessor. Also it takes some characters out and focus more on others which fact I didn't like.
Luise
Lacey
I felt like I could realte to this book so much. Maye it is because i'm in College and the entire book is based around a girl who is attending college and is making a bunch of huge decisions. One of my favorites :).
  • When the Bough Breaks
  • Alone, Together
  • Time and Eternity
  • Counting Stars
  • Previously Engaged
  • My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life
  • Royal Target (Royal, #1)
  • Desire of Our Hearts
  • The Independence Club
  • How to Stuff a Wild Zucchini
  • Traitor (Traitor, #1)
  • A Modest Proposal (Butterfly Box, #1)
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.
More about Ally Condie...
Matched (Matched, #1) Reached (Matched, #3) Crossed (Matched, #2) Matched Trilogy Box Set Atlantia

“Isn't it funny how the memories you cherish before a breakup can become your worst enemies afterwards? The thoughts you loved to think about, the memories you wanted to hold up to the light and view from every angle--it suddenly seems a lot safer to lock them in a box, far from the light of day and throw away the key. It's not an act of bitterness. It's an act if self-preservation. It's not always a bad idea to stay behind the window and look out at life instead, is it?” 744 likes