Start by marking “White” as Want to Read:
White

White

One Love. One Chance. Once Sacrifice.

For Sam McGrath a brief encounter with a young woman, on a turbulent flight, changes his life. On impulse, crazily attracted to her, her vows to follow her - all the way to Nepal.

Finch Buchanan is flying out as doctor to an expedition. But when she reaches the Himalayas she will be reunited with a man she has never been able to forget.

A
Published March 1st 2001 by Arrow (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about White, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about White

LindyLouMac
I have been reading and enjoying the novels of Rosie Thomas for many years now although it is a few years since I last read one. I must rectify this as I have at least four of her most recent novels waiting to be read. It is the usual excuse, so many books so little time, but listening to White has revived my interest. I had read this previously but decided to listen to the tapes before making them available on Bookmooch. Rosie Thomas is not only an author but a keen traveller and mountaineer ...more
Bowerbird
Jun 09, 2012 Bowerbird rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After a rather slow start, this book becomes quite gripping. In places it is almost too graphic. The descriptions become vivid, traumatic and very real as the party make their attempt on Everest. Al, professional mountaineer, leads the group. Finch,the doctor, is the only woman in the expedition, but she has already tackled other mountains. Sam, after an earlier encounter with Finch follows her out to the Himalayas in the hope that she might develop feelings for him. Everest however dwarfs them ...more
Jeannette Andersen
Sep 24, 2016 Jeannette Andersen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: alle piger
Rita
Aug 15, 2012 Rita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Há histórias que gostávamos que fossem reais. Há histórias que nos fazem sonhar, afastando-nos da realidade, durante horas incontáveis. E há histórias que nos marcam pela sua profundidade!
Foi o que aconteceu ao ler este livro. Contava que fosse somente mais um de entre tantos… mas tocou-me como já não me acontecia há tanto tempo. A contar com uma leitura leve, de uma autora a quem já havia ouvido boas críticas, esperava umas horas de uma leitura calma, sem grandes sobressaltos. O que encontrei f
Mariazita
Apr 13, 2015 Mariazita rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gosto da maneira de escrever de Rosie Thomas e muito dos temas que aborda nos seus livros, desta vez uma escalada até o Everest, que é um tema que me fascina, o agressividade dos elementos naturais, o ser humano a atingir os limites do suportável.
Mas nem só de escaladas fala este romance, fala de amizade, de um amor por um ideal de vida, de entre ajuda entre um grupo de pessoas que vão tentar fazer subir ao Everest.
Sam MacGrath, um jovem que encontra uma mulher no aeroporto, e que a vai seguir a
Alex
Sep 03, 2016 Alex rated it liked it
Following a chance encounter near K2 Dr Finch Buchanen enrolls on an expedition to Everest as the expedition doctor. Seen in the airport just before departure, she is followed by Sam who is trying to get together with her. He'll do anything to insinuate himself into her circle.
As the expedition progresses, however, Sam realises he is actually rekindling the climbing experiences of his childhood which he had rejected in order to separate himself from his father.
Finch falls madly in love with Al,
Diana
Jan 01, 2016 Diana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nada mau, nada mau mesmo.

Comprei este livro na Feira do Livro de Lisboa à uns dois anos atrás e esteve na estante este tempo todo a apanhar pó. Até que eu vi o Everest (filme) à uns meses atrás e entretanto voltei a ver a lombada deste e pensei que seria um bom livro para ler a seguir.

Fiquei muito bem surpreendida quando se tornou óbvio que a autora teve um cuidado especial em retratar a subida ao Everest de uma maneira fiel e com muitas das mesmas referências do filme. Adorei.

O triângulo amor
Sally Wragg
Feb 12, 2016 Sally Wragg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never really understood the lure of mountaineering (I can't stand heights for one!) but this book went some way to explaining it and what causes climbers to return to formidable mountain peaks time and again. It was especially good concerning the likely effect on their personal relationships, too. Rosie Thomas has mountaineering experience and this shows in her writing, which was quite technical at times though this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the book in any way, rather it was informative ...more
Dagny
May 12, 2015 Dagny rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I read about 20 pages and could not continue: the character Sam, who's supposed to be the protagonist and the one we want to end up with the girl in the end, is a total creep and mega stalker. Who takes one look at a woman and instead of understanding that she does not want to talk to you, takes the same flight as her, sits next to her pretending to be her husband and then stalks her all the way to fricking Nepal??

But this is not the worst part. (view spoiler)
Ivana
May 04, 2016 Ivana rated it liked it
Roman o muzovi, ktory sa zblaznil do zeny na letisku. O zene, ktora zachranila horolezca. O horolezcovi, co prisiel o priatela. O tuzbe dosiahnut vrchol i o nenavisti k hore.
Finch je lekarka vo vyprave na Everest. Al je ten, ktory tam ma vypravu dostat. Sam je muz, ktory spoznal lasku na prvy pohlad, ked ju uvidel.

Prisady su hutne a je z toho namiesany celkom slusny romanovy koktejl, v ktorom nechyba nic. Laska, utrpenie, vola, odvaha... to vsetko tam najdete.
Rebecca Haslam
Jul 20, 2014 Rebecca Haslam rated it it was ok
This was one of my grand-mothers' books and having read it, I can understand why. I have read some of Rosie's other works and been more impressed, but for me, this was lacking something that meant the pages could hold my attention. Instead, this book worked ideally as a way to pass the time on train journeys and while waiting for a show to start, but it's not one I will come back to - I can't anyway; I left it at a music venue!
Carol Sandford
May 12, 2015 Carol Sandford rated it it was amazing
This was one of those books that I could not forget, and haven't. It was so epic and compelling that you could have been there with them on Mount Everest. I love Rosie Thomas as a writer because she can put you right there wherever her characters are. This is in my top 5 of favourite books. Love it.
Steph Pass
Jul 03, 2008 Steph Pass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was very interesting, i never wanted to put it down and then i would get yelled at for being up to late. but, this book was full of adventure, there was always some sort of twist in each chapter that kept you on the edge. the relationship between characters brings the whole story into persepective and makes the plot even more interesting.
Tracy Remillard
Sep 15, 2015 Tracy Remillard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
I recently finished reading Rosie Thomas' "White" book. I was sad when it was over as I wanted to know what would happen next with the characters. Her descriptions of climbing Everest and Base Camp were detailed and at moments downright scary. It felt as if I was almost there with them and was hanging on to the next steps.
Angela
Nov 30, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, romance, everest
I loved this book. Rosie Thomas is a climber herself and I felt that her knowledge shone through. I enjoyed the development of the main characters and the plot.After reading this I became very interested in Everest and what makes people long to climb it - the real life stories of bravery and self sacrifice are amazing.
Katy Archer
Sep 15, 2012 Katy Archer rated it really liked it

Quite a good book. I learned alot about mountaineering, and the characters were quite believable. It was quite slow to start, and the end was inevitable, but an enjoyable and easy read nonetheless.
Bambola
Oct 17, 2011 Bambola rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Set in an Everest expedition it was a place and activity totally unfamiliar but the author made it completely understandable. Just the right mix of exciting and sad. Will be looking out for more of hers.
Petro Borchard
Apr 29, 2013 Petro Borchard rated it it was amazing
I read this a number of years ago, but it is one of those books that makes you feel you are there on Mount Everest with her - feeling the cold, the pain and the wonder of the mountain.
Skyinthepie
Mar 03, 2015 Skyinthepie rated it really liked it
Took a while to get going but then I was gripped. I particularly enjoyed the parts of the book set on Everest. Fascinating.
Linda
May 28, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an adventure and love story. I listened to this novel and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think it would appeal to both men and women.
Shelley Mcconnel
Aug 28, 2014 Shelley Mcconnel rated it really liked it
easy to read. explores the personslity of mountaineers. With romance and family dynamics. set in Canada usa wales and nepal
Kath Fell
Jul 10, 2015 Kath Fell rated it really liked it
This book was easy to read and I enjoyed the detailed Everest climb.it gives an insight into the highs and lows of such expeditions
penelopewanders
Sep 02, 2010 penelopewanders rated it really liked it
Another by this author I've enjoyed. Moving tale about (among other things) climbing Everest, ambition, love, etc. Great read.
Lesley
Dec 12, 2012 Lesley rated it did not like it
Didn't like it. Abandoned after only 30 pages, very unusual for me not to make it to the 100th page at least.
Christina Clayden
Christina Clayden rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Janeen
Janeen rated it really liked it
May 21, 2013
Sally
Sally rated it liked it
Aug 07, 2011
Dot Kerfox
Dot Kerfox rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2016
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2012
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2015
  • Three In A Bed
  • The Other Eden
  • Charlie
204538
Janey King, née Morris was born on 1947 in Denbigh, Wales, and also grew up in North Wales. She read English at Oxford, and after a spell in journalism and publishing began writing fiction after the birth of her first child. Published since 1982 as Rosie Thomas, she has written fourteen best-selling novels, deal with the common themes of love and loss. She is one of only a few authors to have won ...more
More about Rosie Thomas...