Start by marking “Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)” as Want to Read:
Crewel Lye (Xanth, #8)

Crewel Lye (Xanth #8)

3.69  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,758 Ratings  ·  99 Reviews
Jordan was a ghost in Castle Roogna now. Although once he had been the most valorus of knights--that is, until he was betrayed by two wily magicians and the woman he loves. Now, if he only can remember how he was killed, he'll be able to reassemble his body. And he is getting impatient....
Published March 12th 1987 by Turtleback Books (first published December 12th 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Crewel Lye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crewel Lye

J Austill
Jan 01, 2015 J Austill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is likely the best of the Xanth novels, in my opinion, as it spends the most time in that position. Though, depending on day, I've been known to favour A Spell for Chameleon.

A lot of series are difficult to decide a reading order for. That isn't true of Xanth as the published order IS the chronological order. That couldn't be more apparent with Crewel Lye.

This book answers a question which many readers posed after reading Book 3, Castle Roogna. In that book, the plot centers around Do
Aiden Ponce
_Crewel Lye_by_Piers Anthony_
Book Report #3 by Aiden Ponce
Jordan was a ghost in Castle Roogna now, spending his time with little five-year-old Ivy and watching his own past unfold on the magic tapestry.
This is the story of Jordan’s life in Crewel Lye. He is a ghost in the castle Roogna. It tells the story of when he was alive. He was a knight on a quest for the king. He gets lied to by the two magicians Yin and Yang, Also by Threnody the king’s daughter. He falls in love with her. She betrays
Don LaFountaine
This was an average Xanth novel, though it was an easy and enjoyable read. Book 8 of the series finds Princess Ivy board because she has been grounded at Castle Roogna. (Though of course, it was not her fault.) On top of that indignity, her parents had the audacity to go out and find a baby brother - Dolph - under a cabbage leaf. So, in desperation, she starts to watch the tapestry on the wall. She is soon joined by the ghost Jordan. Ivy becomes very excited as Jordan wants to tell her his tale ...more
Julie Decker
Jul 25, 2014 Julie Decker rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Princess Ivy is about to solve a four-hundred-year-old mystery: Why can't Jordan move on from ghosthood? We then see, from Jordan's perspective, how he came to be unable to properly die. As a Barbarian, with the magical talent of healing from any injury, he sets forth to escort the betrothed Threnody to her intended, only to find she does not want to be married and will do anything to escape that fate. But after these two switch bodies, they are forced to work together against the unwanted marri ...more
David Sarkies
Jun 12, 2014 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre-teen Harry Potter Fans
Recommended to David by: Stewart Wymer
Shelves: fantasy
Why did I keep reading these books?
30 December 2011

I guess I might be getting to a point where I am confusing the Goodreads Database. By putting in all of the Xanth books the algorithim is probably starting to think that I read a lot of pre-teen fantasy novels. While it is true that I have done so in the past, it is not necessarily something that I am doing at the moment. Okay, I do have a number of such books on my self which I will get around to reading someday (which includes Game of Thrones
John
Feb 28, 2011 John rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xanth
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 Swankivy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, punny titles. I wonder if he thinks of the titles first and then writes a book to match? Seems like it.

This book features Princess Ivy again. I like Princess Ivy. Partly because she's a female character whose talent isn't somehow related to sex or appearance, thanks. (Though that would have been creepy since her first appearance as a protagonist was at three years old.) But she is mostly not the focus of this one; she watches the story of Jordan the Barbarian through a magic tapestry.

I kinda
P.J. Wetzel
Eighth in the Xanth Series and not quite up to the standards of the first seven. This tale is mostly told in the first person and the narrator has a completely nebulous mission (to have an adventure) until a third of the way through the book. Later on Anthony introduces a strong female character, and through her he seems to bend over backwards to counter reviewer's criticism that the series is sexist. He fails. He really doesn't get it. Books 5, 6, and 7 of Xanth made it to the New York Times be ...more
Theresa
Sep 22, 2015 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Jordan the ghost doesn't remember his life so Ivy decides she's going to help him remember.

And what a life it was. Jordan's talent is regeneration. He loses a finger, one grows back. A monster eats off his face, it grows back. He dies, he comes back to life. Piers goes through a lot of bloody gruesome scenes to prove to us that Jordan can comes back to life.

So Jordan goes on a grand adventure that is doomed from the get go. He refuses to give it up though. Pigheadedness. He meets a ghost horse h
Blake
Aug 15, 2012 Blake rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a little trouble with the shift to a first person narrative when Jordan Ghost started telling the story of his death as he followed the events in the magic tapestry. Mainly because there was a lot of summarizing of events prior to the story at hand to provide the background, which is necessary but can get dull. Luckily that only lasted for a chapter or so and once the story got rolling again, it was another great, punny read. While I've enjoyed all the of the Xanth novels so far, I've real ...more
Twyla
Apr 30, 2011 Twyla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I know I haven't been reading as much. Reading is more of a winter season thing rather than a reno season or garden season thing. Yes there'r only three seasons in my year.
I like this book.
I like this author
I like the use of puns.
I enjoyed the countryside, the history, the - well everything but the monsters. Love the stork analogy; I'll have to remember that should I ever get the chance to fuck again; which at this point in my life is highly doubtful.
Its an easy going read; the story flows well
Sebastian Bryant
Oct 19, 2015 Sebastian Bryant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xanth
Told in the typical Vampire Chronicles style, that should've been called, "Interview with a Barbarian Ghost," took until the 9th chapter for it to get interesting and after that, it was simply amazing. I liked the book because it was much different than the others in the series I've read so far.
Joseph Toth
Aug 02, 2015 Joseph Toth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Piers Anthony Fans
Not Piers Anthony's best Xanth novel, it built up a little too slowly and the puns were not very entertaining this tale but it did have a solid finish. Overall I enjoyed 'Crewel Lye' and it sets up the plot for Piers next book 'Golem in the Gears'.
Jeff
Mar 18, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another satisfying entry in the Xanth series, but quite different from the action-packed previous installment that I read. Instead Anthony delivers a Punny, twisted, and tragic romantic story about Jordan the Barbarian and his ill-fated love for a shape-shifting demoness. Also a departure is the first-person narrative by Jordan (now a ghost because he's been dead for 400 years) which he relays to five-year-old Ivy, the King's daughter. When Jordan was alive he was motivated by a quest for advent ...more
jessica
May 30, 2008 jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
This is a strategic re-read. I've been feeling very depressed lately about forces outside of my control and the other night as I lay in bed unable to sleep, began puttering around in dark, rifling through stacks of books until I found just the right escapist tome to lighten my mood. Passed up Fool's Fate, Ender's Game and any number of Dresden Files books that might have done the trick.

There is a time in all of our lives for some quality fantastical punning a la Piers Anthony and for me this tim
Carolynn
The story of Jordan the ghost told like a campfire tale to 5 year old Ivy. Not my favorite xanth novel. I mostly wanted to hear about Ivy and her adventures. Generic barbarian tale with the usual amount of xanth puns.
Andy
Nov 05, 2012 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real pleasant surprise....this one has a great story going for it, but Anthony has managed to insert two great characters (Jordan the Barbarian and Threnody the demon-spawn) that really make this tale zip through. I've come to expect a certain level of entertainment from Xanth novels, but this one was just a real pleasure to read. Interesting note at the end: Anthony says all his Xanth novels are written for adults, but enjoyed by kids. I have noticed more and more adult themes creeping into t ...more
M.L. Carr
Nov 14, 2015 M.L. Carr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Puniest book I have ever read. Nothing is what it seems and everything is exactly what it says it is. There is a good story thrown in for good measure. Excellent writing. Many points to ponder.
Deven Elliott
Lower rating as the formula seemed to be repeating as far as character introduction, something happens, resolution. Add puns for flavoring. Yet still I kept reading awaiting each one.
Spencer Morris
May 14, 2011 Spencer Morris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This was even better than I remembered. It's a love story told to a 5-year-old audience with sex, betrayal and bitter regret! 'Nuff said.

I would like to point out a quote from Mr. Anthony in the "Author's Note" at the end:

"You see, I have many young readers, who write me in much greater numbers than the older ones do, but they are really not the largest audience for Xanth. Despite appearances, Xanth is intended mostly for adults, which may be why the kids like it."

So. I did not name my son after
Theresa
Oct 19, 2009 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Humor, romance, and adventure all rolled in one book.
While there are a few who don't like this book because of the excessive use of puns and wordplay, I find it the opposite. I think the only way to make the Xanth series better than it is, is to show just how versatile the English language can be.
About the story in itself, while there was more romance than I expected, but it also held quite a few comedic moments for those who aren't fans of straight romance. Overall, I found the mix of it all to
Jul 28, 2014 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-forever-ago
This was the first Xanth novel I read and it was the best in my opinion. I went back and started from the beginning but none of the others quite lived up to this one.
Pablo
Fun Xanth brain candy that is fairy predictable yet makes me come back to read the next volume. Great puns and a whole new view on how babies are born.
Steve
Another good one.

Can't wait to read the next installment. Hope it is as good as the last one. Definitely worth reading it.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 22, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Xanth novels are a quick, fun and funny read. Great starter books for young fantasy readers. There is a ton of them and you can pick up any of them and start. Very recommended
Elisa Kay
I did not enjoy this book as much as those previous to it in the series. This book was told as a retelling of an event and I did not like this approach to the novel. However, I will not let it put me off the series.
Kirsti
Nov 28, 2013 Kirsti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jordan was turned into a ghost because of a crewel lye, but Princess Ivy wants to know more. We follow his story through the Tapestry, as he first wanders aimlessly in the quest for adventure, and finally is given the quest of retrieving an object to determine who will rule after the aging King. We also meet Threnody, who is one of my favorite characters simply because of her sad story (we later find out more about the circumstances of her birth in other books)

Most of the newer books don't reall
Craig
Aug 23, 2015 Craig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Based on my memory of reading this book in the 80s.
Kaethe
I like puns as much as the next girl, perhaps even more.
Stephanie
Apr 24, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one is my favorite of the Xanth series. I read this book before I read any of the others. It was in this book that Piers Anthony entranced me into the magical world of Xanth. He piqued my interest through his play one words and phrases. He created a world that was fun and magical in all sense of the word. Although I love his other books, this one holds a special place in my heart for creating a passion for fantasy fiction.
  • Myth-Nomers and Im-Pervections (Myth Adventures, #8)
  • On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #4)
  • Return to Centaur (Xanth Graphic Novel, Vol 1)
  • Vengeance of the Dancing Gods (Dancing Gods, #3)
  • Wizard at Large (Magic Kingdom of Landover, #3)
  • The Bishop's Heir (Histories of King Kelson, #1)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Xanth (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)
  • Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3)
  • Centaur Aisle (Xanth, #4)
  • Ogre, Ogre (Xanth #5)
  • Night Mare (Xanth, #6)
  • Dragon on a Pedestal (Xanth, #7)
  • Golem in the Gears (Xanth, #9)
  • Vale of the Vole (Xanth #10)
  • Heaven Cent (Xanth #11)

“But one must go where one's road leads, even when it's a distressing road.” 21 likes
“For our stories are not yet finished, and perhaps will never be.” 20 likes