Toilets of the World

Toilets of the World

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  27 reviews
This amusing but highly informative photographic journey reveals the idiosyncrasy and inventiveness that characterize the construction of the humble toilet around the globe.
Published October 1st 2006 by Merrell Publishers (first published 2006)

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca SklootIn Cold Blood by Truman CapoteIn the Garden of Beasts by Erik LarsonAngela's Ashes by Frank McCourtCatherine the Great by Robert K. Massie
The Last 10 Nonfiction Books I Read
49th out of 735 books — 144 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachEats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne TrussThe Professor and the Madman by Simon WinchesterSalt by Mark KurlanskyThe Devil in the White City by Erik Larson
You Read a Book about What?
257th out of 875 books — 355 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann
Have you ever wondered what toilets look like in other countries? Here is a guide like no other.
I have experienced firsthand what some of these toilets look like. I can tell you the one in Barcelona with the caves in Park Gueil is exactly the way it is pictured in...more
Ubalstecha
Got this because I thought it would be a cute, fun, silly read. Sadly it was lacking. Sure there are the crazy toilets, like the ones with giant heads in Japan that move towards you, but a lot of this book is simply tin shacks and dirt huts in the middle of nowhere.

Skip it.
Matimate
Being good and art aware girl I went to my friend's place who shares passion for art and instead of idle chitchat I went straight to the bathroom and had very good time there with a book. Tell me, have you ever been curious about the simple place of daily interest for example in Zimbabwe? Or is there any difference between yours and Japan's meditation place? The book gives you all answers you were craving for and were to shy to ask. It is the history of the white god in front of every alcoholic...more
Heidi
A little bit of history, a whole lot of fun! Color photos and descriptions of the (sometimes) porcelain pots are arranged geographically, generally by continent. From a thatched palm leave toilet on stilts in Panama which drains directly into the sea to a "pee tree" in an Alberta, Canada campsite to the pair of 24-carat solid gold toilets in a Hong Kong store, this book brings them all to you. Check out the kiddie loos from Izmir, Turkey on pages 214-215: a cute, purple kangaroo toilet and a tur...more
Jamie
The writing isn't always brilliant, but there are some interesting pictures. It's just for fun, the book doesn't attempt to be comprehensive or try to actually represent the average state of sanitation in any particular place.

For a more serious discussion of worldwide sanitation, I recommend The Big Necessity: The Unmentionable World of Human Waste and Why It Matters.
Melanie
Definitely learned a few things. Even if it is slow going- read this through to the end- there is a "grand finale."
Jenny
best book ever!!!!!!! You have to get this book. I know it looks stupid as it is about toilets, but its really fun and neat and gross to see what other people "go" on. It also gives you surprisingly good insight to the country the toilet is at and what they think of customs in relations to a bodily function. Also, I'm not so freaked out about going in public now. it's just really neat and fun, get this book!!!
Sharon Malcolm
Absolutely fascinating stuff. Someone has actually gone around the world and photographed and researched all the different types of toilets in the world, from squatty potties, suspended loos over water, street pissoirs to toilets made of gold, with a bit of historical and cultural relevance thrown in. And I know a good place to read it.
Harle
I started this book not knowing quite what to expect, but I got a lot more information than I thought possible! From high-tech Japanese toilets to rustic outhouses with mannequins inside, this book taught me more then I ever wanted to know about the porcelain throne. Just be grateful we don't live in the middle east.
Tessa
This book is both educational and entertaining. It is a collection of photographs of toilets (or what passes as a toilet) from all over the world. There are classy ones, weird ones, terrifying ones, and ones that I would rather go on the street than use. Check it out if you get the chance.
Michelle
The book I've been waiting for! I love seeing diverse bathrooms from around the world. A clean bathroom is so important, and an innovative toilet is very cool. My favorite one was in Germany, which was like the one in this book that has a plastic cover and cleansing agent.
John
The things one finds on the New books shelf!

This coffee-table genre book (if your coffee table resembles an airline meal tray in size) made for fun reading. It is weren't quite so bulky, I'd deem it perfect for carrying about for waiting rooms and other downtime periods.
Dani Lane
Feb 26, 2011 Dani Lane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Leslie Boomers
I can't think of a better bathroom book! It's both horrifying and delightful. Some of the toilets are the stuff of my worst stress dreams and yet, yep, I do want to go to Japan and experience the wild toilets.
Shelia
There are some very interesting toilets out there!
Chris
I got this for my husband as a stocking stuffer, and it turned out to be great bathroom reading. Very interesting and unusual facilities out there!
Kitty Tomlinson
Informative guide to the toilets of the world. Very interesting. We all assume that bathrooms would be the same worldwide. Go figure.
Toby
What a delightful book. As expected, some of the toilets in Japan are almost beyond comprehension. I must go to Japan.
Deborah
Photos and information about different kinds of toilets all over the world. It's really pretty interesting.
Child960801
Entertaining and educational. Made me glad for my toilet, which is something I don't always say.
Olivia M
okay so maybe i didnt read it from cover to back but i swear i looked at all the pictures

Salena
Apr 08, 2009 Salena rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: nonfiction
One of my favorite books about bathrooms. Great combination of pictures and text.
Jamie
Drôle pendant 5 minutes. Même pas un photo d'une toilette des pays arabes...
Denise
Fascinating, informative, and a bit frightening.
Catalina
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah
Melanie
The second best book near our toilet.
King
Actually quite an interesting read.
Denise
Apr 24, 2008 Denise rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who uses a toilet
Shelves: picture-books
Fascinating. Great bathroom book.
Alan
I like solid gold toilets.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »