A Walk on the Nightside (Nightside, #1-3)

A Walk on the Nightside (Nightside #1-3)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  839 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Now in one volume-the first three novels of the Nightside from the New York Times bestselling author.

John Taylor was born in the Nightside-a city within the city of London where it's always three A.M. and where inhuman creatures and otherworldly gods walk side-by-side. It's the stomping grounds for the lost and missing-and John Taylor is an expert at finding people and t...more
Published September 5th 2006 by Ace Trade (first published September 5th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Walk on the Nightside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Walk on the Nightside

Mark
What i liked the most was the urban fantasy feel, he has of way of making you say wow as your reading the story. A lot of cool concepts about what a world of magic might be like. The stories were very entertaining and I felt compelled to sit for long periods just reading his stuff. I know I like a book when it can draw me into the story and I lose myself.
Aj
Admitting you like the Nightside series by Simon Greene is exactly like saying "Hi, I'm AJ and I'm an addict." It just feels SO good to "Get It Out There." There I've said it and maybe, just maybe, someone else in the scary dark will admit it too. Fair warning though: If you read volume one and then two? Buckle up boyo, you're in for the lot. It's my guiltiest pleasure that's true . . . but I'd put this irreverent, wildly scoped, WHOOP! of a way-noir fantasy ride right next to Neil Gaimen's, Nev...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 26, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Fantasy
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri
John Taylor is our narrator, a private investigator complete with the expected trench coat. John isn't just a "private eye" he has a mystical third "private eye" through which he can find things--at least in London's Nightside. The Nightside "is a square mile of narrow streets and back alley in the centre of city linking slums and tenement that were old when the last century was new.... It's always three o' clock in the morning, and the dawn never comes." It's filled with demons, trolls, ghosts,...more
Kelly
Read the first: Something From the Nightside. It's like a B-version of The Dresden Files, seems to me. Story has potential; writing isn't that great (like mine! HA.). The author repeats himself quite a few times ("I've never carried a gun," anyone?). Still, the story could really be taken somewhere. I'll read the next one (or two) and see if they're any better. There are 13 in the series, after all... surely there's room for improvement!

Update July 2, 2012-
Just a few chapters into book 2, and I'...more
Joni
I read this book (really three books) poolside on summer vacation with my small kids. Since I usually don't like 'noir' or spooky, I'm glad I read it in full sunshine. Quick read, enjoyable romp with quality pulp writing in a unique setting. Now I look forward to reading more about John Taylor and Nightside!
Tony
These nightside books are a little campy, but it is an interesting approach to the detective novel. Throw in there that I love sci-fi and fantasy, of which this series has both, and I enjoyed these books quite a bit. They are pretty short, so this three for one package I recommend.
Julie
Other than an incredibly annoying tendency to stick "in the Nightside" at the end of every other line, Simon Green has constructed an interesting world. I don't find myself able to believe in it, and I don't feel the fascination I think he wants me to feel, but it's interesting.
Ryland
I loved the vividness of the Nightside itself and its residents—no punches pulled in the creepiness, and surprisingly inventive too. But I thought the characters were maybe a little too cliché, and that's why I think the book didn't really grab me.
Phaedra Weldon
Oh wow—this was one of those books I started and couldn't put down—and was surprised when I got to the end of book III. Doesn't hurt that his name's John Taylor—cause—I'm a Duran Duran fan.
Mireille
Aug 08, 2009 Mireille marked it as to-read
Omnibus of books 1-3 of "Nightside" series.
Something from the Nightside (Book 1)
Agents of Light and Darkness (Book 2)
Nightingale's Lament (Book 3)
Amy
What an incredibly fast and easy read!

Lots of action.. def geared towards a male audience i think due to the lack of girly dialougue but i did really enjoy it.

Chris Tice
I didn't like his writing style. It all seemed too cliche so I only got through the first story before I quit.
Barbara ★
At times horrific and weird as hell all the time. Really really strange stuff.
David Elkin
David Elkin is currently reading it
Sep 02, 2014
Michael Bevill
Michael Bevill is currently reading it
Sep 01, 2014
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Naermyth (Naermyth, #1)
  • Doctor Strange: Season One
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Last Seen After Midnight (Trese, #4)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Marvel's The Avengers Prelude: Fury's Big Week
  • The Ferryman
  • Green Lantern Corps, Vol. 5: Emerald Eclipse
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 1 (Vampire Files, #1-3)
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • Red Lanterns, Vol. 1: Blood and Rage
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Constantine, Vol. 1: The Spark and the Flame
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted...more
More about Simon R. Green...
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)