Start by marking “A Walk on the Nightside (Nightside, #1-3)” as Want to Read:
A Walk on the Nightside (Nightside, #1-3)

A Walk on the Nightside (Nightside #1-3)

4.27  ·  Rating Details ·  1,083 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Now in one volume-the first three novels of the Nightside from the New York Times bestselling author.

John Taylor was born in the Nightside-a city within the city of London where it's always three A.M. and where inhuman creatures and otherworldly gods walk side-by-side. It's the stomping grounds for the lost and missing-and John Taylor is an expert at finding people and t
Published September 5th 2006 by Ace Trade (first published September 5th 2004)

Mark
Oct 26, 2011 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
What i liked the most was the urban fantasy feel, he has of way of making you say wow as your reading the story. A lot of cool concepts about what a world of magic might be like. The stories were very entertaining and I felt compelled to sit for long periods just reading his stuff. I know I like a book when it can draw me into the story and I lose myself.
Aj
Aug 26, 2011 Aj rated it it was amazing
Admitting you like the Nightside series by Simon Greene is exactly like saying "Hi, I'm AJ and I'm an addict." It just feels SO good to "Get It Out There." There I've said it and maybe, just maybe, someone else in the scary dark will admit it too. Fair warning though: If you read volume one and then two? Buckle up boyo, you're in for the lot. It's my guiltiest pleasure that's true . . . but I'd put this irreverent, wildly scoped, WHOOP! of a way-noir fantasy ride right next to Neil Gaimen's, ...more
David Elkin
Oct 01, 2014 David Elkin rated it it was amazing
A very enjoyable read and as good as Harry Dresden. Butcher fan's should pick it up. A wild romp through the first 3 books for the talented finder Mr. John Taylor. Simon Green paints a panoramic canvas of creatures, time warps, monsters, angels and demons and even some stuff I had never heard of. I highly recommend it for fans of the paranormal bent.
Barbara ★
At times horrific and weird as hell all the time. Really really strange stuff.
Soriambi
Sep 26, 2014 Soriambi rated it liked it
After I started reading and became addicted to The Dresden Files, I've been looking into and trying some other urban fantasy series.

One thing that is fairly unique about these novels is their length. The book I'm reviewing here was under 400 pages and consisted of three separate novels. They're technically all long enough to be novels, but they're probably closer to novellas. I found the length a nice change of pace.

The world Green has created is a very interesting one. Whereas Jim Butcher's D
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 26, 2011 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Dark Fantasy
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Gerri
John Taylor is our narrator, a private investigator complete with the expected trench coat. John isn't just a "private eye" he has a mystical third "private eye" through which he can find things--at least in London's Nightside. The Nightside "is a square mile of narrow streets and back alley in the centre of city linking slums and tenement that were old when the last century was new.... It's always three o' clock in the morning, and the dawn never comes." It's filled with demons, trolls, ghosts, ...more
Kelly
Read the first: Something From the Nightside. It's like a B-version of The Dresden Files, seems to me. Story has potential; writing isn't that great (like mine! HA.). The author repeats himself quite a few times ("I've never carried a gun," anyone?). Still, the story could really be taken somewhere. I'll read the next one (or two) and see if they're any better. There are 13 in the series, after all... surely there's room for improvement!

Update July 2, 2012-
Just a few chapters into book 2, and I'
Joni
Jul 30, 2011 Joni rated it really liked it
I read this book (really three books) poolside on summer vacation with my small kids. Since I usually don't like 'noir' or spooky, I'm glad I read it in full sunshine. Quick read, enjoyable romp with quality pulp writing in a unique setting. Now I look forward to reading more about John Taylor and Nightside!
Tony
Mar 15, 2008 Tony rated it really liked it
These nightside books are a little campy, but it is an interesting approach to the detective novel. Throw in there that I love sci-fi and fantasy, of which this series has both, and I enjoyed these books quite a bit. They are pretty short, so this three for one package I recommend.
Ryland
Aug 25, 2012 Ryland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the vividness of the Nightside itself and its residents—no punches pulled in the creepiness, and surprisingly inventive too. But I thought the characters were maybe a little too cliché, and that's why I think the book didn't really grab me.
Julie
Other than an incredibly annoying tendency to stick "in the Nightside" at the end of every other line, Simon Green has constructed an interesting world. I don't find myself able to believe in it, and I don't feel the fascination I think he wants me to feel, but it's interesting.
Susan
and
Nightingale's Lament
Phaedra Weldon
Nov 01, 2012 Phaedra Weldon rated it it was amazing
Oh wow—this was one of those books I started and couldn't put down—and was surprised when I got to the end of book III. Doesn't hurt that his name's John Taylor—cause—I'm a Duran Duran fan.
Amy
Jun 12, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it
What an incredibly fast and easy read!

Lots of action.. def geared towards a male audience i think due to the lack of girly dialougue but i did really enjoy it.

Mireille
Aug 08, 2009 Mireille marked it as to-read
Omnibus of books 1-3 of "Nightside" series.
Something from the Nightside (Book 1)
Agents of Light and Darkness (Book 2)
Nightingale's Lament (Book 3)
Chris Tice
Feb 23, 2011 Chris Tice rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-like
I didn't like his writing style. It all seemed too cliche so I only got through the first story before I quit.
Alison
Alison rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Wade Tillotson
Wade Tillotson rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2014
Roula Maalouf
Roula Maalouf rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Fred Williamson
Fred Williamson rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2012
James Rjr
James Rjr rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2014
eris23
eris23 rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2015
David
David rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2013
Kevin
Kevin rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Peri
Peri rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Douglas
Douglas rated it really liked it
Apr 07, 2012
Keyerra Croley
Keyerra Croley rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2009
Ryan Cook
Ryan Cook rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2012
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Angel, Hollower (Buffy the Vampire Slayer Comic #18/ Angel Comic #1 Buffy Season 3/ Angel Season 1)
  • Naermyth (Naermyth, #1)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • Black Magick, Volume 1: Awakening, Part One
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Marvel's Thor: The Dark World Prelude
  • Trese: Stories from the Diabolical, Volume 1 (Trese: Stories from the Diabolical, #1)
  • Doctor Strange, Vol. 1: The Way of the Weird
  • The Strain, Book One
  • Batman: Prey
  • Red Lanterns, Volume 4: Blood Brothers
  • Green Lantern Corps, Volume 3: Willpower
  • Doctor Strange: Season One
  • The Vampire Files, Volume 1 (Vampire Files, #1-3)
  • Red Lanterns, Volume 3: The Second Prophecy
  • V-Wars Volume 1: Crimson Queen
  • Wizard for Hire (The Dresden Files Omnibus #1)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted
More about Simon R. Green...

Nightside (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1)
  • Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2)
  • Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3)
  • Hex and the City (Nightside, #4)
  • Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)
  • Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)
  • Hell to Pay (Nightside, #7)
  • The Unnatural Inquirer (Nightside, #8)
  • Just Another Judgement Day (Nightside, #9)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Uncanny (Nightside, #10)