Paths Not Taken (Nightside, #5)

Paths Not Taken (Nightside #5)

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  5,910 ratings  ·  136 reviews
John Taylor just discovered his long-gone mother created the Nightside—the dark heart of London—and intends to destroy it. To save his birthplace, he will have to travel back through a very distant—and probably deadly—past.
Published August 30th 2005 by Ace (first published January 1st 2005)

Chris
We're really getting into the meat of this story, and something tells me that I'm gonna have to order the most recent book at some point.

John Taylor has a mission. In the last book, he was tasked with finding out how the Nightside got started, and his search revealed a secret that had long been hidden - the identity of his long-lost mother. He'd wanted to know all his life, and now that he does, he'd do anything to stop her.

His mother is a dangerous woman, and he knows that the best way to find...more
Julie
To me it's always very interesting and very brave when an author creates a good character that does bad things to good people because he has to and he knows it. He can look someone in the eye, tell them that he's so very sorry, and then do something utterly horrible to them because it has to be that way.

Very rarely to authors continue with that kind of harshness with the hero through a whole series of books. Usually the character buckles or makes an exception or something magically happens that...more
Kat  Hooper
Originally posted at FanLit: http://www.fantasyliterature.com/revi...

Warning: Contains spoilers for previous NIGHTSIDE books. If you haven’t read them, please start at the beginning with Something from the Nightside. Otherwise you’ll be lost.

Paths Not Taken is the fifth book in Simon R. Green’s NIGHTSIDE series. In the previous installment, Hex and the City, John Taylor investigated the origins of the Nightside and discovered that Lilith, his own mother, was its creator. Now, in Paths Not Taken,...more
Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup)
Apr 03, 2013 Wickedshizuku (and the Jedi pup) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans, Urban Fantasy fans, Fantasy fans, Science Fiction fans
Recommended to Wickedshizuku by: Goodreads
Shelves: 2013, reviewed, paranormal
*GAH BLAH BLAH!* Angst! Serious angst saturates the pages of this one!
John and Suzie do some time traveling in this one, and you'll never believe where they go.

GIFSoup
Yeah, you're sure as hell not going to find that out from me. I'm gonna need you to go pick up this series by Friday. Yeah.
Cheers Pretties!
Rachel
Okay, forgive me for saying so, but these books are not high art. But they are fun and quick reads. This one has John Taylor going back in time to see the creation of Nightside, to help him figure out how to stop his mother Lilith from destroying it in the present. It has a strong focus on Suzie Shooter, her relationship with him, and the knowledge John has of her possible future.

You know, fun, interesting ideas about time travel, love the pop culture references (how many lines are quotes from o...more
Daniel Rositano
May I begin by stating that overall, this was a tough book for me to get through.

I picked it up at a used bookstore, and I read the first few pages, and it seemed promising enough. However, what I didn't realize at the time is that it was fifth in a series. And while some readers may think this invalidates my review, please stick with me-- I believe a number of my thoughts would be valid had I still read the four books prior to this one.

And then let me also say I will not be reading the previous...more
Maggie K
So, a lot of times these Nightside books are annoying to me because they're so over the top. This one could have fallen into that trap as there a couple of really ridiculous little vignettes that didn't need to be there, BUT...it was TIME TRAVEL people...and some real ass-whooping....and we see how a lot of supporting characters got their start..so it still gets 4 stars. Happy reading!
Kristin
Another enjoyable installation in the Nightside series. Our good protagonist, John Taylor, decided he needed to go back in Time to find out the beginnings of Nightside and confront his Mother, the Being and Power known as Lilith. Taylor's goal - to prevent Lilith from destroying a future Nightside. His companions on this quest are Tommy Oblivion and Suzie Shooter. Except, things don't go quite as planned...

Green continues to work on his world building and fleshing out his characters. In this boo...more
Brett Jackson
Chichipio
The first three quarters of this book were almost painful to read. Too much self-fulfilling prophecy for my liking; especially because, this time, it was John himself the one doing it, instead of his enemies. After what he saw in the previous book, he should know better.

I know that John is supposed to be more bluff than brains, but some of his decisions here set a new low, even for him. The whole thing with Merlin came up a bit out of the blue. They talked to him a little, then, without further...more
Well, this book explains why the possible future that has been plaguing John Taylor all his life is more probable than the other possible futures. It also turns out that a lot of problems Taylor has to deal with in his own time are ones he created in the past; John Taylor was a troublemaker in the Nightside before he was even born.

Not a bad book, but since it takes place in the past it reads almost like a prequel, leading to a predetermined destination rather than forging a new path.

***

In my rev...more
Alexander Draganov
Very interesting and original Nightside novel, which has awesome monsters, epic fights and shattering revelations as John Taylor and his friend Suzie travel trough the past, in order to discover the true origins of the Nightside; the Wild Hunt was especially marvellous chapter. The character development is also quite strong, as well as the romantic touch. My only complain is that the characters sometimes seem way too powerful for the tension of the story, this is a problem Green had in some of t...more
Nancy Oakes
no spoilers! just a synopsis

I didn't like this one as much as I have the others, but that's okay. It was still quite good; just a little slower to start and get to the heart of the story. Our hero, John Taylor, in Book #4 "Hex and the City," decided that the only way to face down his mother (whose identity was discovered in said book) was to travel back through time and face her when she was at her weakest, after the creation of the Nightside. If you haven't read the first four books, you have a...more
Gareth Otton
It's a hard thing to review this latest book.

On the one hand it has a huge number of elements that I really hate. Time travel is always a great big no for me as I simply can't get past the unending paradoxes as well as the illogical cyclical problems that always arise. There is also the problem of the enormous amount of dubious philosophy that is thrown into this book in both the history of the world and behind the character's reasoning.

On the other hand this book is what I hoped it would be i...more
Patrick D'Orazio
John Taylor has finally discovered who his mother is and after the confrontation with her that finished off the previous book in this series, he is ready to travel back in time to do his best to disrupt her plans. By being there at the origins of the Nightside and confronting Lilith he hopes to prevent the horrible visions of the future he has seen and knows that he is the cause of. Against his better judgement Shotgun Suzie and Tommy Oblivion want to tag along for the ride. They need to get Fat...more
Neil
Another solid book in the Nightside Series. Paths Not Taken, Book 5 in the series, takes on a darker tone as John Taylor, Shotgun Suzie and the Tommy Oblivion the Existential Detective venture back in time to witness key events in the past that helped shape the Nightside and some of the Powers within it.

Simon R. Green tied many of the events and characters in the prior books into this book, and I always find that's one of the great joys of a expansive series like this. Suzie Shooter's character...more
Kathy Davie
Fifth in the Nightside dark urban fantasy series for young adults set in an alternate London.

The Story
Paths Not Taken intros with the case of the innocuous, average man being pursued by his alternates from the past and the future and Count Video discovers the unexpectedness of change magic. The main event is when John Taylor, Suzie Shooter, and Tommy Oblivion head back to the origin of the Nightside. A trip that has several eventful side trips in which we learn the truth of Lamentation's origin,...more
Lesley
Another great installment in the Nightside series. It picks up right where the last book left off, continuing the drama of John’s long, lost mom wanting to destroy the Nightside. It’s very dark, as usual, but more depressing than the other books because of its focus on the characters’ emotional issues. There’s also more romance, though it hardly feels romancy when the pair in question can’t touch each other, are extremely scarred both physically and emotionally, and almost never put down their s...more
Jenevieve
The 5th book in the Nightside series by Simon Green. Last book John Taylor finally found out that his mother was none other than Adam's first wife, Lilith. A being with incredible power and who created the Nightside. She's back and has decided that the Nightside has lost it's way and is no longer serving the purpose for which she intended so she is preparing to destroy it and start anew. But not if her son has anything to say about it.

John proposes going back through time to the beginnings of th...more
Scott Rachui
Read Nightside from the start...do NOT begin with this book since so much of what's in this book depends on earlier stories.

Having said that, this is a great book that is moving the story of supernatural PI John Taylor along to a major milestone (I once thought it would be the conclusion to the series, it's so significant...but there have been multiple books since then, so it's not a conclusion).

Taylor knows that his mom is Lilith, the initially created female before Eve who refused to submit to...more
Karissa
This is the 5th book in the Nightside series by Simon Green. This book followed a similar format to the last book, in that it is more of series book than a self-contained adventure. Still it was a fun read, quick paced, and very creative.

In this book John Taylor travels with Shotgun Suzie and Tommy Oblivion back through time to find out how the Nightside was created. So, pretty much this book is what the last book said it was going to be.

Occasionally because of the time travel the story seems a...more
LJ
PATHS NOT TAKEN (Fantasy-Nightside) – G+
Green, Simon R. – 5th in series
ACE Fantasy, 2005- Paperback
John Taylor is a private investigator in Nightside, a hidden part of London where it is always 3 a.m. and the residents are anything but ordinary. John has learned that his mother is Lilith, the first wife of Adam. He, Suzie Shooter and Tommy Oblivion travel back in time to learn how his mother created Nightside and find a way to stop her from destroying it.
*** This series that must be read in orde...more
The Flooze
A twisted, tricksy story of time travel and, thusly, the headache-inducing horror of circular reasoning.

John Taylor is traveling back in time, back to the creation of the Nightside, in the hopes that he'll glean something helpful in the battle against mummie dearest.

For some reason, this book took longer to get through than those previous. Perhaps John's futile efforts at getting things to go his way took as much a toll on me as it did on him.

Seeing the Nightside through its many stages of hi...more
Lori
Green's Nightside is all the wonders and horrors of this world, and many others, available in one place, making shopping easy - if you can afford the price.
Told from the first person perspective of John Taylor, a "refugee" of the Nightside recently returned from five years living in the mundane London Proper, this series offers a unique take on many ideas.
While it follows the noir trope of a private investigator down on his luck, who often takes cases for reasons other than cash, the book also...more
Isabel
Still, forewarned was hopefully fore-armed, and I had some truly powerful computers on my side. They were supposed to be Artificial Intelligences from some potential future, on the run from something they preferred not to talk about. Cathy picked them up in a really good deal, the details of which she preferred not to discuss. Business as usual, in the Nightside. The AIs put up with being owned and used because they were datavores, information junkies, and they'd never seen anything like the Nig...more
Bill Rogers
Welcome to John Taylor's life. In this book he begins to work toward actually resolving his problems with his beloved mother (heh). Of course it's not that simple. Nothing is, here. Business as usual in the Nightside (tm).

I liked this book because it began to get off the center where it had been stuck in the previous books; Taylor is in conflict with his mother, Taylor is being hunted by persons unknown, Taylor meets another unbeatable Maximum Baddie and beats them. Now we're trying to move tow...more
Krista D.
Ugh, time travel makes my head hurt.

SPOILERS SPOILERS

The last three chapters really made this book worth reading. The relationship between Suzy and John has changed and was done with kindness, consideration, tact, and adulthood. At no point does John try to push himself on Suzy to convince her that her childhood trauma needs to be gotten over. Instead, he is gentle, understanding, and respectful of her limits. Even in the face of her disfigurement, he did not flinch away.

This was per...more
Kati
Another well written installment in this series. Though I must admit that John Taylor, the main character, becomes less and less likable with every book. Yes, the mindless violence was a part of this world from the very beginning but John has always been the good guy or at least he tried to be the good guy. But after this book... Innocent people died because of him and he almost didn't even stop to think about what he has done. Like Nimue - she died trying to clear up the mess he caused and he s...more
Minh
In the penultimate novel in this particular arc about John's mother, we see John and co traveling through the past in an effort to discover the origins of the Nightside, and the reasons behind its origin.

We see the beginning of the Origin, the original downfall of Herne the God, the Hunt, Merlin's betrayal and the loss of his heart, and above all, the truth about John's mother, Lilith.

To long time fans of the series, the book is in many ways a pay off as characters from previous novels are resu...more
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
The sage continues as secrets are revealed, and our anti-hero gets the truth he probably really didn't want to know after all. Again, it's good urban-fantasy adventure, but some of the action is just too over the top for me to buy into.
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Dead Men's Boots (Felix Castor, #3)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Unleashed (Dog Days, #3)
  • Cursed (Alex Verus, #2)
  • Spellbound (Grimnoir Chronicles, #2)
  • Game of Cages (Twenty Palaces, #2)
  • Old Tin Sorrows (Garrett Files, #4)
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
41942
Simon Richard Green is a British science fiction and fantasy-author. He holds a degree in Modern English and American Literature from the University of Leicester. His first publication was in 1979.

His Deathstalker series is partly a parody of the usual space-opera of the 1950s, told with sovereign disregard of the rules of probability, while being at the same time extremely bloodthirsty.

Excerpted...more
More about Simon R. Green...
Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) Agents of Light and Darkness (Nightside, #2) Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, #3) Hex and the City (Nightside, #4) Sharper Than a Serpent's Tooth (Nightside, #6)

“This isn't Hell, it's the Nightside. Thought sometime you can see Hell from here.” 13 likes
“Big corporations aren't always the bad guys; but it's the sensible way to bet.” 4 likes