Start by marking “Wake Up, I'm Fat!” as Want to Read:
Wake Up, I'm Fat!

Wake Up, I'm Fat!

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  481 ratings  ·  43 reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
Wake Up, I'm Fat is Camryn Manheim's "celebration of ass-kicking."

The Emmy-winning actress says as much in the first few pages of her terrific new memoir. It's not "the whiny lamentation of a girl who was never asked to dance" — far from it. It's a laugh-out-loud joyride on the back of Manheim's motorcycle as she rips fearlessly through the up

Published May 11th 1999 by Broadway (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Wake Up, I'm Fat!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wake Up, I'm Fat!

Emily Smiltneck
AWESOME book... holds a special place in my heart because it changed my life forever! Before I read this book, I had no idea that there was any such thing as a man who preferred larger women, and it never occurred to me to accept myself the way I am. After reading this book, I wore a tank top and shorts for the first time since I was a kid, started to actually like myself for the first time ever, and began to have hope again... and to top it all off, the book is funny as hell! Just an all around...more
Nima
I can't remember exactly when I read this book, probably around the same time I started to get involved with the Curvy Revolution,but, you want to talk inspiring, this is it!! I was completely moved, and have since read and re-read this book. This truly is, "For all the fat girls out there."
Lucia
I really liked this book. Hilarious and easy to read, but at the same time as strong as Maheim's attitude. Behind her fierce boldness, there's you, me, and every fat girl who ever denied herself happiness because of her weight. I feel after reading this book I'm one step closer to acceptance.
Synesthesia
Excellent book about a very cool actress.

Also full figured women can be hot too. I'm not saying this just because I am full figured either.
Matt
Read this saucy, sassy autobio and you'll find Camryn Manheim just as engaging, funny, honest and intelligent in real life as any of the TV or film characters she's portrayed. You'll find what you see is what you get with her (in more ways than one!)...and if you are or ever have been overweight, shy, unattractive or otherwise a social misfit, I flat guarantee you will relate to her experiences and feel for her as well.

That Camryn has triumphed over societal expectations, professional bias and...more
Tamara Evans
It's a funny story how I found this book.I went to a used bookstore and there it was...in the bargain bin.Needless to say, I had to rescue this book from being thrown away.I paid a quarter for this book and I haven't been sorry for buying it at all.

Why do I love this book? Because unlike other plus size women, she doesn't apologize for how she looks but instead, she praises being healthy.I definitely understand where she is coming from because I'm a plus size woman and I know how cruel society c...more
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
I loved it. A quick, easy read. It is laugh-out-loud funny. Camryn shares her story: how she became an actress and the highs and lows along the way. She's forthright and funny. She doesn't apologize for who she is: a woman who happens to be fat.

What I found so interesting, is the perspective. Often when we meet people, our first reactions aren't that they're skinng or fat, our first reactions are how much we like or don't like them. But to someone with image issues, whatever our "issue" is, is...more
Natasha
This is my second reading and I tell ya I loved it just as much as the first time. So many books have come and gone from my shelves but this one will continue to stay. Overall I have very little in common with Camryn Manheim (other than the obvious!) and yet I feel like she and I could be great friends. Reading it was as if she was talking directly to me. Some people don't like that writing style but I love it. And, well, she is hilarious; so many laugh-out-loud guffaws as I read! I learned a ne...more
Tammy
Actually, I owned a signed copy of this book and have gotten rid of it. I love Camryn Manheim, my daughter and I got to meet her at a book-signing here in town. I loved the book, too, but at the time, my daughter was so young and there were so many f-words in the book, I knew that if I kept it, she would pick it up to read. I think now that she's 21, she would love it, like I did. I regret not keeping it, but I don't regret my reasons for giving it away. I would recommend this book to any woman...more
Susan
I liked this book a lot, because I liked Manheim's persona a lot. The writing is not great--way too many "so" and "such a" phrases substituting for ampler description particularly bugged me. My four stars are for the humor--certain chapters had me laughing out loud--and for the good hard look at how fat oppression runs constantly in our culture. It's an old phrase, and one Manheim thankfully doesn't use, but it runs underneath the entire book: Fat is a feminist issue.

Susan
Ok, I'm a Camryn Manheim groupie. I think she's a good actress but she really sucked me in with her talk show appearances. She's so very articulate and fun. So, when her book hit the stands, I grabbed it and then proceeded to gobble it up. It reads like a letter from an old friend. When I got done, I wanted to call her up and tell her how great it was and ask when we could meet for lunch. I'm sure she has some fatal flaw but I don't want to know about it.
YoSafBridg
I have always liked Manheim as an actress, and this book got pretty decent reviews before it came out (i was doing collection development/buying in this area at the time~so i had to read all the reviews). I picked it up immediately and read it (on and off breaks at the bookstore~shhh, don't tell) even though my co-workers made fun of me for doing so.
Manheim has a great sense of humour as well as self-confidence and i highly recommend the book.
Stacey
Loved this. LOVED! For me, it was jointly a fascination with celebrity in most of its forms, and my new passion as a fat activist. This was more upbeat (I think) and real than The Fat Girl's Guide to Life. Though, it does show what some people will do to their kids in hopes that they will no longer need to be embarrassed by fat children. And, what women will do when they're pushed, and pushed, and pushed.
Celia Powell
I really didn't know much about Camryn Manheim before reading this book, and it was interesting - well written, funny and very moving in places. I became a little distracted with it towards the end when it's very focussed on her time at The Practice and winning her Emmy, but really enjoyed her thoughts on her weight and fat activism.
Heather
Eh, it was OK. Quite different than what I was expecting, actually. I could connect with a lot of what she said about the struggle of being fat. But this book was a little more militant than I was wanting. Always on the defensive. Always. I don't know. I guess I just don't care about "fat acceptance" as much as she does.
Spook Harrison
Sep 07, 2013 Spook Harrison rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Spook by: The Fat Girl's Guide to Life
Shelves: memoirs
I'd never really heard of Manheim before, but now I'm hoping The Practice is available on Netflix! Her attitude towards so many facets of her life (p. 165), her moxie (p. 130), and her activism (p. 76 and 216 are my favourite examples) are easily apparent throughout the pages of this lovely memoir. A fun, fast read.
Fairywitch
A life changing book for me, and a MUST-READ for any woman or girl who's ever underappreciated herself because of something - anything - in looks.
Camryn Manheim writes about her own experiences in a warm, funny, eye-opening, highly enjoying style.
Why are still here, then? Go grab a copy ASAP!!
Holly
Sep 28, 2008 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone with weight issues
Funny, touching, and very readable, Camryn tells it like it is...what life is like for a woman who happens to be fat and who is also trying to make it as an actress. I was happily surprised and relieved to know that often she had felt or thought the same thing as me about being overweight.
SmarterLilac
Good work--leaps and bounds above most celebrity memoirs. Manheim really made me think about her challenges as a woman of larger size, and she did it in a heartfelt, funny way. This book is a must read for anyone striving to let go of sizeist, prejudicial thinking about body image.
Jennifer Kronk
I love camryn Manheim and I loved this book. She writes about how frustrating it can be to be less than ideal in a world that punishes all of those who are not perfect.
So we are clear, I think she is damn sexy and quite a role model to me. And my copy is auotographed!
Beckie
Jun 11, 2009 Beckie is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I had to put the book down for a couple weeks because a friend lent me a different book that I was reading but so far this is freakin hilarious. I love her sense of humour. And the "Boyfriend Application".....? fucking awesome! :)
Dana
Jan 01, 2012 Dana rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Dana by: my aunt
I found this to be an articulate, touching and really funny autobiography. I could really relate to Ms. Manheim, and I hope other young women can find as much encouragement and self-love as she has. No matter what you look like!
Erin
I have nothing against this book, I just couldn't find the energy to finish it. The third that I did read was funny and well written, I just have no interest in finishing it. I'm hoping I'll finish it at a later point.
Allison Kaye
"Please love me!" An actress wrote an entire book about her struggle to be OK with her weight, therefore, suggesting she's still not comfortable with herself.
Sam
Oct 01, 2011 Sam rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women who need to be empowered or fans of Manheim
Recommended to Sam by: no one. Saw it at the library and liked the title.
Shelves: memoir, celebrity
I liked the first part (the part that was in her 1 woman show) better than the second. But overall, a funny book and uplifting book for all women fat or thin.
M Renata
Told just like the one-woman show she performed, this is a look at how her character developed and she learned how to appreciate herself. Well done!
Devon
Jul 22, 2007 Devon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks who liked Fat!So?
I'd recommend this book over Shanker's "Fat Girl Guide." This book was fantastic.

My only regret is that Manheim isn't into the ladies.
Samantha
I never watched that lawyer show that Camryn Manheim was on, but I love her on Ghost Whisperer. Thought I'd read her book.
Curtis
I read this a long time ago... I got a little bored midway through the book, but it recovers and is a worthy read.
  • FAT!SO? : Because You Don't Have to Apologize for Your Size
  • Lessons from the Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare a Truce with Your Body
  • The Obesity Myth: Why America's Obsession with Weight is Hazardous to Your Health
  • Fat Shame: Stigma and the Fat Body in American Culture
  • Health at Every Size: The Surprising Truth About Your Weight
  • The Fat Girl's Guide to Life
  • Rethinking Thin: The New Science of Weight Loss--And the Myths and Realities of Dieting
  • I'm the One That I Want
  • Two Whole Cakes: How to Stop Dieting and Learn to Love Your Body
  • Fat Politics: The Real Story Behind America's Obesity Epidemic
  • Read My Hips: How I Learned to Love My Body, Ditch Dieting, and Live Large
  • Big Big Love: A Sourcebook on Sex for People of Size and Those Who Love Them
  • Unbearable Weight: Feminism, Western Culture, and the Body
  • Body Outlaws: Rewriting the Rules of Beauty and Body Image
  • Hot & Heavy: Fierce Fat Girls on Life, Love & Fashion
  • Hungry: A Young Model's Story of Appetite, Ambition and the Ultimate Embrace of Curves
  • Fat Is a Feminist Issue
  • What You Really Really Want: The Smart Girl's Shame-Free Guide to Sex and Safety

“I don't get it. I just don't get it. If Art is supposed to imitate Life, why do they want all the actors to be thin? There are fat people in the world. Shouldn't there be a few of us actors to represent them?” 4 likes
“4/16/85: If I were thin, I’d never say “I am powerless over fudge.”
a) I can’t believe I actually ever said that. b) Which, of course, isn't to say that I do have any power over fudge. Particularly if it has nuts.”
4 likes