Start by marking “Salvation Creek” as Want to Read:
Salvation Creek

Salvation Creek

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  68 reviews
At 44 Susan Duncan appeared to have it all. Editor of two top-selling women's magazines, a happy marriage, a jetsetting lifestyle covering stories from New York to Greenland, the world was her oyster. But when her beloved husband and brother die within three days of each other, her glittering life shatters. In shock, she zips on her work face, climbs back into her high hee ...more
Paperback
Published August 3rd 2006 by Rider (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Salvation Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salvation Creek

Suzanne
Susan Duncan was a professional with a great career in the magazine industry and journalism. Her brother and husband died within three days of each other. This is her story. From the Nepean River in Penrith, to country Victoria and the interesting shores of Pittwater NSW, this was a fantastic story of this woman’s resilience and strength as she faced more than her fair share of battles.

I really did enjoy this book, it exceeded my expectations, in more ways than one. I borrowed this copy of a fri
Carinya Kappler
“Ruthlessly honest, passionate, gutsy and Funny.” – These observations are attributed to Maggie Tabberer and appear on the front cover of the book reminding me a little of the health warning on a cigarette packet. (Believe this or be prepared to suffer the consequences!) The reader is enticed to accept these words at face value thus providing a ready made set of parameters (ie a level of credibility) in which to read the author’s tale, or alternately he or she could chose to allow the story itse ...more
Carol
I began this book thinking itwould be about a woman who lost her husband and brother to cancer, and how she dealt with that. So I felt great sympathy for her when she herself was diagnosed with breast cancer. However I had little sympathy for her during the married man affair. Interesting reading, and very descriptive of her surroundings, but often I found her complete lack of concern for others - for example getting 2 jack russell terriers and allowing them to run free though native bush, and e ...more
Trish
I may be pedantic but, I could not finish this book after I read on page 37 -
A phone call comes mid-morning in early August....
"It's Fleury's birthday. Come to Pittwater for the weekend."
"Stewart! How are you? What are you up to?".....
"Good, I'm good. Can you make it?" he asks.
"When?"
"July twenty-three."
I hesitate.
"Be great if you could help with the cooking. And Sophia needs a lift."
The clinchers. I'm needed. Can't say no to all that.....

Is good old Stewie getting in early for the next year? I
Luke56
A miserable and self-indulgent book. I couldn't warm to the writer. Yes, she suffered some tragedy, but lots of people have done that without having affairs with married men and losing all sense of themselves. And what sort of idiot would think that it was OK to get two dogs and let them run wild in a national park?
I bought the book because I used to spend my holidays at Lovett Bay, 50 years ago. I wish now that I hadn't bothered. Written in the present tense, which you'd think a journalist woul
Diana
Loved this book! I'm probably biased as, first of all, I just visited and experienced Pittwater for a few days and its easy to visualise the place when she (Susan Duncan) tells about it. And she covers the topics travel, moving house, cancer and loss in a way that resonates with me.
But besides that I like the way she writes; honest and with humour.
And now I want to live in Pittwater. Ok, maybe only when it's good weather, but still. Read the book and be sure to visit the place when you're in A
Linda
I loved this book so much I couldn't put it down but at the same time wanted it to last. A wonderful memoir of a very strong woman who has been to hell and back. There is a follow up book just published, can't wait to get my hands on it!
Shokufeh شکوفه  Kavani کاوانی
A wonderful read about the mire of depression and finding happiness in the most unusal place and how life and happiness is not what people see from outside. It is all inside YOU.
Malvina
Former magazine editor Susan Duncan's story after both her husband and brother died (in the same week); then she was diagnosed with breast cancer - and she walked us through that; all the while deciding to make her new home in Pittwater, just down the hill from the house Dorothea Mackellar owned at Church Point. I liked this book; it was touching, funny and honest. Even honest about her affair with a married man; and about how she didn't really take control of her new puppies until they were suc ...more
Dmareen
Loved this because it was set in a beautiful location in Australia and based on true events. Always a favourite
for me.
A very enjoyable read.
Meldi Arkinstall
The back cover of this says it is 'heartbreaking, funny and searingly honest,' and this is accurate.
This book tells Duncan's own story of experiencing cancer, and the death of her husband and brother within days of each other.
Where so might crumble, Duncan puts on her brave face and ventures out into a new scary world without her beloved husband and brother.
She has an affair with a married man - 'the lover.'

She pulls out this sorry affair eventually and gradually finds a relationship that is one
Victoria
A moving warmhearted account of dealing with grief and escaping from the ratrace. And the lemon cake is delicious.
Carol
I thoroughly enjoyed this true story of a high-flying Sydney journalist’s retreat from the rat-race to the idyllic, watery heaven of Pittwater following a mental breakdown precipitated by the untimely deaths of her husband and brother from cancer. Later she has to contend with her own cancer diagnosis. Her efforts to heal herself are uplifting, her honesty is admirable, and her descriptions of her environment are intensely beautiful and evocative. Yes, she is impulsive, makes some poor decisions ...more
Sasha
This Biography deals with the big issues - death of those closest; cancer; remarriage; being the "other woman"; finding a home; understanding the important things; acceptance of self and community.
Susan doesn't try for sympathy and is honest about the regrets and times when she didn't act as well as she should - All in all a very real and understandable memoir.
The only reason I didn't give five stars is there where times when I felt the way it was written caused a bit of confusion in the timeli
Debbie Terranova
To be honest, I was given this book and didn't expect much. It looked like another soul-searching story about a lost woman who had bad things happen to her and survived. The title didn't inspire me either, as it gave the impression it would be about some sort of religious epiphany (which is not my thing at all).
I took the book on holiday to the beach. Yes, it is about self-discovery and reinvention, but it is so compellingly written that I simply couldn't put it down.
In a former life, the author
Sharron Shimbel
Susan Duncan's memoir of a short period of her life is a very good read. Struggling with family loss and her own cancer she tries to find herself a new and happier place. Susan is the first to admit that in the past she has made less than perfect choices and in her struggle through depression and sickness she again flounders while all the time trying to lead an easier more fulfilling life. This is not a "pink ribbon/ chick/lit story, it seems to me a very honest portrayel of her attempt to regai ...more
Sue

It was one of our bookclub reads.

I really did enjoy reading this book - and I loved discovering Pittwater and Scotland Island life and communities through Susan's experiences.

Appreciating where Susan was in her life, the tragedy of her loses and trying to grapple with where to twist and turn with her career and her future really resonnated with me.

At times though, yes I agree, she was a frustrating person to observe ( within her OWN observation of herself in this book that is).

In particular,
Caitlin
So this may break my goodreads' friend Angela's heart, but I can't say I loved this book...it was just a bit twee and went over the 'rural people are so much better than city people with their homespun wisdom' thing. oh and boats. always with the boats. Actually, it was a quick, pretty good read but the parts that rubbed me the wrong way was her affair with a married man which SHOCK! SPOILER ALERT! didn't work out and left her feeling like crap. And her belief that thinking happy thoughts would ...more
Stephanie Locking
Mar 27, 2014 Stephanie Locking rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: My son-in-law
Because the location where this book took place was so dear to my heart I enjoyed it. It isn't fiction but a factual account of the life of the author after the loss of her brother and husband. At times I wasn't overly impressed with her and at others found her viewpoint interesting and enlightening especially about her health. I'm not sure this book is for everyone unless you too are a lover of Pittwater and Lovett Bay in New South Wales.
Sharon
About to start for a book club. Not sure I would have picked it to read otherwise.

I seem to have faffed around with this book for ages now, originally it was a book choice to read for a book club. I started it and originally enjoyed it, then got irritated by it and put it down for ages, picked it up and read it in one or two chapters at a time and now I have finally finished it. And what did I think? I don't know, lol! It seems everyone pretty much loved it within the book club but I've felt ver
Jacinta
To be truthful, I wasn't that big of a fan. It was one of those books you get half way through and continue to read as quickly as you can to the end just because you can't wait for it to be over, rather than looking forward to the ending. In saying that, my mother really loved this book, so perhaps it is one of those 'age appropriate' only novels.

The story line was okay, the ending was really lovely but the thing that most annoyed me about the book was the overuse of adjectives. I understand th
Pauline
I would like to have given it another Half a star. The writing was very smooth and accomplished. I have also read The Briny Cafe . They were both enjoyable but this book left me feeling I had had enough of Susan Duncan. The characters are interesting and well developed but didn't seem to be real. Maybe this was my sate of mind. Living on the island was certainly interesting but not enticing.
Anne
An honest book dealing with grief and illness. An insight into living in Pittwater, boat access only. It takes a long while before any love story evolves, but is satisfying in the end.
Kate
I really enjoyed this book and savoured reading the journey of Susan Duncan's reinvention after such life changing losses and threats. I loved her descriptions of Australia and her love for her environment, these balanced the terrifying emotional struggles she was enduring through that period of her life. There is a real honesty in Susan's story telling, she doesn't hide behind weak justifications for some of her decisions -it is all there. I can totally understand her neighbours fury about her ...more
Angie
This book is a surprise package being written as a account of her life and health issues which seem a very close representation. I was a bit daunted to find out what she was dealing with but no spoiler here, I did continue.

How she deals with life and death while living in a beautiful part of Australia is not fast moving but satisfying. Glad to have read it.
Nancy Lewis
What a depressing book!

The story starts just after the author's brother & husband both die of cancer in the same week. Then the author herself has lip cancer & later breast cancer. She moves to a water-access-only island in Sydney where she befriends a neighbor - who also has cancer. A few more friends & neighbors have cancer as well. Sheesh!

Is cancer that prevelant in Australia? This article in The Guardian suggests that they have the third highest rate of cancer in the world. The
Warrick
I liked this much better than the second part (the House at Salvation Creek). Wish I had read this one first...although obviously it did fill out the story and I needed to read it to get the background.

Wasn't the best book I have ever read, but it did keep me intrigued; especially Barbaras story.

I don't particularly like dogs, so the two puppies annoyed me...the community sounds like a great place, although I often had the sneaking suspicion that the people here were extremely well off and could
Sixties
I loved this book, although I can understand how some people would find it depressing.
Maybe it was because I read it at a time when I needed a bit of spiritual uplifting, and it took my mind off my own problems.

Like others have said it not only makes you cry, but also laugh out loud. Her description of the land around Pittwater and the atmosphere there, the kindness of strangers, the uncompromising love of dogs - but overall the deep need to be at one with where you live, the need for a safe-ha
G
I absolutely loved this book !!! I couldn't stop reading it.
  • The New Rector (Tales from Turnham Malpas #1)
  • Seeking Sara Summers - A Coming Out Later in Life Lesbian Novel
  • The Weeping and the Laughter
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • Drina Ballerina (Drina, #11)
  • The House on Dream Street: Memoir of an American Woman in Vietnam
  • Unpolished Gem
  • Journey from Venice
  • Happy Endings Are All Alike
  • The Vintage Summer Wedding
  • Rest for the Wicked (Jane Lawless, #20)
  • A Village Affair
  • Mr Wigg
Susan Duncan enjoyed a 25-year career spanning radio, newspaper and magazine journalism, including editing two of Australia's top selling women's magazines, The Australian Women's Weekly and New Idea. She now lives in her own patch of offshore paradise, Pittwater, with her second husband, Bob, in the beautiful home built for poet Dorothea Mackellar in 1925.

Susan's bestselling memoir, Salvation Cre
More about Susan Duncan...
The Briny Cafe The House at Salvation Creek Gone Fishing A Life on Pittwater Salvation Creek : An unexpected Life