Start by marking “Клеопатра (Kleopatra, #1)” as Want to Read:
Клеопатра (Kleopatra, #1)

Клеопатра (Kleopatra #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  1,002 ratings  ·  55 reviews
Она родилась две тысячи лет назад, но до сих пор является одной из самых знаменитых женщин в мире.
Ее зовут Клеопатра. Она обаятельна, честолюбива и считает себя воплощением Исиды - египетской богини, управляющей человеческой судьбой. Ее окружают ненавидящие ее и завидующие ей люди. Ей предстоит борьба за трон Египта, но ее великая любовь и великое поражение еще впереди.
Published 2012 by Эксмо (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Клеопатра, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Клеопатра

Karen Essex's Kleopatra is definitely one of the best historical fiction novels I have ever read! The novel details Kleopatra's childhood and upbringing until she becomes queen at the age of 18, and continues on in a second novel titled Pharaoh, which I previously did not know existed until recently. Originally I had thought the novel was moving along too fast and was concerned that Essex would quickly detail Kleopatra's ruling and the marriage to her two husbands, so I was extremely pleased to ...more
Oh Karen Essex, how you confound me.

Reading this book I imagined myself on a pendulum being swung from end to end of a reader's opinion scale. In one chapter I am entranced, in another I am perplexed b/c of the authors choices in narration.

I never really felt the voice of Kleopatra come through. The story is richly researched and detailed with facts and dates all laid out like a well documeted history text but the lifestyles and surroundings are noticeably absent. I had trouble painting a pictur
Christy English
I have read both STEALING ATHENA and LEONARDO'S SWANS by Karen Essex and I am in the midst of her first novel, KLEOPATRA. I am loving it so far, even more than the other two. It may be the subject matter...there is just something about the way Karen has written about Egypt's last Pharoh that has made the dead come alive. I have finished the novel now, and I have not changed my mind. Soon I will dive into the sequel, PHAROH.
If I didn't know anything about ancient Egypt before I read Kleopatra, I would take away the following: everyone has sex with everyone else regardless of ANYTHING. Age, gender, number of partners, lack of genitalia, ANYTHING. There was neat historical stuff, but it feel like the story alternated between that and weird sex stuff just to keep you interested in reading. I did move along pretty quickly while reading this book, but at the end I was just like 'eh.' This story didn't take place during ...more
Jul 29, 2007 Kipahni rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any one who wants a smutty history book
It tries to be the red tent for Cleopatra.
Easy to read and good for escaping, but I wouldn't say my life is changed because of it.
Jul 06, 2007 Marissa rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: alreadyread
Really, really well written historical fiction. She is incredibly well researched

What to say about this version of Kleopatra's tale? Overall I found that Essex failed to capture the essence of Kleopatra, including her maturity, dignity and intelligence. The book read more like a Hollywood version of Kleopatra's life (well the portion covered in this book, up to about the age of 21). The book did not bring the vibrancy of this time period to life. Overall, I found Essex included crude situations and even cursing for no reason I can think of as they certainly did not
Loraine Despres
I just finished Kleopatra by Karen Essex. I was swept up and taken to first century BC Egypt and Rome. Beautifully researched, this book gives you the feel of what it was like to be a young woman living in a glittering palace watching your mother die as your sister seduces your father so she can become queen. You live through Kleopatra's fight to keep her crown and her exile in the desert as her brother and sister take over the kingdom. The book ends as she prepares to meet Caesar.
Tara Chevrestt
This got off to a rough start, with Kleopatra as petulant three year old that cannot speak and a few months later expressing herself in the most mature speach, and ending with her as a young woman about to meet Cesar. The book focuses a lot on Berenike, her Amazon like sister and I found myself more interested in her than the book's heroine. One thing that ruins the story in places is the constant unflattering descriptions of the king, Kleopatra's father. He is always described at fat or waddlin ...more
I like historical fiction and very much enjoyed the last book I read by Karen Essex, but this one I finally had to give up on, because it was too much -- too long and too many points of view to keep it interesting.

I really enjoyed the storytelling from the young Kleopatra's point of view - those parts were always lively, full of intriguing detail, and well-paced. The sections from other characters' pov's, however, were often boring and plodding, simply there to give the "real history" part of th
Katarina Ilić
I like the way the story is told. A reader could really feel the emotion and get into the story. There are some flaws, like including many other people's lives instead of focusing on main characters even more. Also, it's too long, and I believe it could've be put in at least 100 pages less, without losing any point. It's 6.5/10
I hope you like incest and pedophilia, if you're planning to read this book. Because there's a lot of both. Apparently Kleopatra's dad considered it normal to marry his sister and then his niece/step-daughter, as well as doing horrible things to young boys. Other than all that, the book is mostly well-written. None of the writing style made me cringe, though it didn't make me feel like telling everyone about the book, either. Kleopatra is an interesting character.

I sort of want to know how the C
Coeruleo Luna
i really liked this story. a lot of research must have gone into this book,there is a lot of detail about ancient egypt. a lot of intrigue and suspense. tons of sex. ms essex's version of ancient egypt was kinda pervy... but thoroughly enjoyable. i also read and liked the sequel.
I agree with Elise that it's not the best written nor the most engrossing read on Cleopatra, but certainly entertaining, especially if you are as fascinated by Cleopatra as I am. The cover doesn't do this book any favors. I think the new paperbound version has a much better cover.
Much has been written about the mysterious queen who enthralled two powerful men. But Ms. Essex proposes there was more to her legend than legendary beauty. Intensive research and study as well as travels throughout Egypt, Rome, Greece and Turkey went into the writings of this fascinating character (actually the 7th to bear this name). She was more than the femme fatale of Shakespeare or sex kitten of George Bernard Shaw. Kleopatra VII (Philopater) was a master of several languages, a diplomat a ...more
Maggie Millar
This is one of the best historical fictions I have read. It was interesting and addicting. I can't wait to get my hands on the second book
I appreciate this book, more because it got me back into Egyptian history. I had completely forgotten that Kleopatra's family came from Alexander the Great, the Greeks, and not the Egyptians themselves. Having said that, I can't say I was super thrilled with this novel. Not knowing there was another volume to the story of the last Pharaoh, I kept thinking it was slow going, since there was so much devoted to her young life. I don't know. I liked reading about her upbringing, don't get me wrong, ...more
I enjoyed this book which is truly a work of fiction since we know so little about Cleopatra before she hooked up with Julius Caesar. Things I learned: Ancient Egypt was both yucky and incestuous. There was a lot of sodomizing of young boys going on. I did not realize that Cleopatra's parents were half siblings, and I didn't know that she was Greek, not Egyptian. She may have been a descendant of Alexander the Great. I have heard that the next book, Pharoah is better than this book.
Not a fan of the universal viewpoint style of writing, and the story also lacked the historical details that I find riveting in a historical novel, but it was just interesting enough to keep me reading. And, of course, it ends *right* when Cleo is about to meet Caesar (my favorite part of her whole life story) so of course now I'm going to have to pick up the sequel. I probably would not have done that, if she'd ended just a *little* further on in the story!
An interesting hybrid of historical research and literary fiction that takes you on a journey with Kleopatra child prodigy to her trials and tribulations of being a adolescent female in old world Egypt. Essentially these early years provide her with the tools and wisdom to become the formidable and illustrious women we know today - seductress, master of languages, adventurer, diplomat, and military strategist.

4 1/2 Stars
I've never been all that Cleopatra crazy, but I like Karen Essex's writing. This book takes you through her girlhood, and her relationship with her fat foofy father....her siblings who were from hell...and on to her getting it on with Ceasar, at which point it leaves off for volume two, or the continuation of her life I presume. She was a smart cookie, good at languages, and strategizing for someone so young. I enjoyed it.
This book took me a REALLY long time to start to get into. I'd say, around a little more then half way through the book was when I finally felt some interst in actually finishing the book. It ended pretty abrubtly, but i guess thats why theres a second book called "pharoah". I'm more excited to start the second book! this was just kinda a slow starting story to kleopatras rule which is more in the second book.
Entertaining and interesting historical novel about the legendary queen of Egypt. The story opens with Kleopatra as a 3 year old, and I liked this approach at character development as the descriptions of her childhood show how she was raised to be a great intellect and ruler. Descriptive details about the ancient world made me want to learn more. I look forward to the next book, and more from Karen Essex.
I enjoyed it greatly at parts, and got bored at other parts. I like the whole fiction aspect of it, giving historical figures personalities. Overall the book was pretty good. It left me with just enough curiosity to pick up the second one.
Vicki Cline
This was an interesting look at the childhood (through about 19 years old) of Kleopatra and at court life in Alexandria. I was disappointed that the book ended before she meets Caesar. That part of her life is covered in the sequel Pharaoh, which I starting today.
Josiane Claremont
Most awesome book I've read in a long time. (write review at a later time)

Assumed that it would be like Nobody's Princess, but is actually different! Defied expectation.
Kelly Perry
Beware this is only the 1st book of 2. It is over 300 pages and takes you through 15 years of Kleopatra's life, from age 3 (when her mother dies) to age 18 (when her father dies). It can get a bit dry at times, however, seeing the political/power struggles with Rome and Egypt are very intriguing.
Gave up 3/4 through, kept hoping I would enjoy it but to no avail. Couldn't decide if I was reading a novel or a history lesson, it didnt seem to be clear either way. In the end I realised I was skim reading just so I could finish it - that's when I put it down in favour of something I enjoyed.
I've read better novels about Cleopatra but this was a pretty good read. This is the 1st book in the series with the story line about her childhood and ends with her exile at age 21. I really like this author's writing style. On to the sequel with Caesar and Antony....
loved the book, I loved that it was not the regurgitation of the evil egyptian seductress this book gives Cleopatra the respect she deserves. very engaging to the point that u finish it much to quickly. Not for those who cant get passed there known historical speedbumps.
  • When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra
  • Cleopatra's Heir
  • Throne of Isis
  • Cleopatra's Secret: Keepers of the Light
  • The Empire of Darkness (Queen of Freedom, #1)
  • Child of the Morning
  • Hand of Isis (Numinous World, #3)
  • Lily of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, #1)
  • Cleopatra Confesses
  • Antony And Cleopatra
  • Cleopatra and Antony: Power, Love, and Politics in the Ancient World
  • Asenath
  • Nefertiti: The Book of the Dead (Rai Rahotep, #1)
  • The Memoirs of Helen of Troy
I'm the author of KLEOPATRA, PHARAOH, LEONARDO'S SWANS, STEALING ATHENA, DRACULA IN LOVE, AND BETTIE PAGE: LIFE OF A PINUP LEGEND--All featuring iconic women. I am also an active screenwriter and an award-winning journalist. I divide my time between Los Angeles and Europe, where I soak in the atmosphere while writing historical fiction.

Please see my blog, "Women, History, Sex, & Power" at htt
More about Karen Essex...

Kleopatra (2 books)
  • Pharaoh (Kleopatra, #2)