Manage It!

Manage It!

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  16 reviews
This book is a reality-based guide for modern projects. You'll learn how to recognize your project's potholes and ruts, and determine the best way to fix problems - without causing more problems.

Your project can't fail. That's a lot of pressure on you, and yet you don't want to buy into any one specific process, methodology, or lifecycle.

Your project is different. It doesn...more
Published June 14th 2007 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published June 7th 2007)

Clean Code by Robert C. MartinRefactoring by Martin FowlerThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew HuntThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesTest Driven Development by Kent Beck
Top 100 Agile Books
47th out of 128 books — 21 voters
Eat Move Sleep by Tom RathDrive by Daniel H. PinkThe 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. CoveyThe Leader Code by Dan BlakesleeThe Leader's Guide to Radical Management by Stephen Denning
21st Century Leadership
50th out of 62 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor
Jun 13, 2008 Taylor rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: anyone running a technical project
Shelves: programming
This is fantastic book! If you manage technical projects, you really should read this. It's full of great advice and great practices. I've directly applied many of the ideas to the projects that I am responsible for and they have really made a difference. As an example, scheduling has always been an issue at the company for which I work due to the need for a lot of developer time spent doing support tasks. Also, the previous project manager was really in love with MS Project and huge long Gantt...more
Robert
Very good book on the pitfalls and difficulties of modern project management (mostly from an Agile perspective).

Johanna has a lot of good insight and perspective that comes from her vast experience. Some things she just glosses over but overall this book gave me a number of very good things to put into practice.

Very good book.
Carl Christian
This book can be summarized with these words "small iteration", and being a programmer I tend to agree. Also I found that the "reciepies" found in this book could be helpful when starting, during, and ending a project.
Rasha Ashraf Ashraf
looks interesting !
David Lindelof
This is an okayish book on project management but probably not the best one I've read. For one, the style of this book makes it more suitable for project managers with some prior management experience. Terms are used without being really defined (unless I missed them), and you clearly get the feeling that the author assumes you know already about different styles of software project management.

By all means read this book but only after you've had the chance to manage a couple of prior projects....more
Vladimir Bushin
"Manage It!" is one of my favorite books about agile. A good part of the book is devoted to communication challenges expressed in "schedule games". It is not a complete list of pitfalls where executive management can actually hurt the project but they are definitely most common. I appreciate that the author highlighted the management issues and proposed solutions proven to be successful by years of practice.
There's also much value in discussing stratigic aspects of agile. This book is a great gu...more
Larry Wright
Great book for beginning or experienced project managers. It's not a PMP type of book, the emphasis here is on agile project management methodologies though there is some discussion of waterfall and others. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone doing project management, especially of software projects.
Tomas Kejzlar
Manage It! is my number one guide when it comes to agile project management. Johanna clearly and in a very coprherensive and entertaining way describes almost everything one may encounter while running agile projects. Especially the chapter regarding schedule games is a big help for me.
Dan
Really useful and informative. Devastating analysis of serial status reporting meetings, and compelling arguments throughout. Not exactly a page-turner perhaps, but well worth the effort and highly recommended.
Lachlan
Quite a handy book. There are some sections that I would have loved to had more detail - such as program management. Still, it's a good read.
Joao Cerdeira
One of the best book I had ever read about Project Management not related to any discipline in particular.

Very pragmatic approach to PM activities.
Doug Stewart
This book is already a great guide through my career and will only become more valuable to me with time. I know it.
Donna
Reading for book, wouldn't recommend it unless you want to be a strong PM like me :) lol
Pablo Fonseca
Very good book to introduce or improve project management.
Flavius
Flavius marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Michael Minigshofer
Michael Minigshofer marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Jeff L.
Jeff L. marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Laurie
Laurie added it
Mar 26, 2014
Ro0r
Ro0r added it
Mar 20, 2014
Trevor Bramble
Trevor Bramble marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ashutosh Sharma
Ashutosh Sharma marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Christopher
Christopher marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Christoph
Christoph marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
Gabi
Gabi marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
I consult, speak, and write on managing high-technology product development. I've helped managers, teams, and organizations to become more effective by applying my pragmatic approaches to their issues of hiring, project management, risk management, and people management. I write a monthly email newsletter, the Pragmatic Manager. Please review back issues and sign yourself up.

I lean towards agile,...more
More about Johanna Rothman...
Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management Manage Your Project Portfolio Hiring the Best Knowledge Workers, Techies & Nerds: The Secrets & Science of Hiring Technical People Hiring Geeks That Fit Manage Your Job Search