Start by marking “Manage It!: Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management” as Want to Read:
Manage It!: Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management

Manage It!: Your Guide to Modern, Pragmatic Project Management

This book is a reality-based guide for modern projects. You'll learn how to recognize your project's potholes and ruts, and determine the best way to fix problems - without causing more problems.

Your project can't fail. That's a lot of pressure on you, and yet you don't want to buy into any one specific process, methodology, or lifecycle.

Your project is different. It doesn
Published June 14th 2007 by Pragmatic Bookshelf (first published June 7th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Manage It!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manage It!

Taylor
May 11, 2008 Taylor rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone running a technical project
Shelves: programming
This is fantastic book! If you manage technical projects, you really should read this. It's full of great advice and great practices. I've directly applied many of the ideas to the projects that I am responsible for and they have really made a difference. As an example, scheduling has always been an issue at the company for which I work due to the need for a lot of developer time spent doing support tasks. Also, the previous project manager was really in love with MS Project and huge long Gantt ...more
David Lindelof
May 08, 2011 David Lindelof rated it liked it
This is an okayish book on project management but probably not the best one I've read. For one, the style of this book makes it more suitable for project managers with some prior management experience. Terms are used without being really defined (unless I missed them), and you clearly get the feeling that the author assumes you know already about different styles of software project management.

By all means read this book but only after you've had the chance to manage a couple of prior projects.
Robert
Jan 30, 2009 Robert rated it it was amazing
Shelves: computers, management
Very good book on the pitfalls and difficulties of modern project management (mostly from an Agile perspective).

Johanna has a lot of good insight and perspective that comes from her vast experience. Some things she just glosses over but overall this book gave me a number of very good things to put into practice.

Very good book.
Carl Christian
Apr 21, 2009 Carl Christian rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
This book can be summarized with these words "small iteration", and being a programmer I tend to agree. Also I found that the "reciepies" found in this book could be helpful when starting, during, and ending a project.
Rasha Ashraf Ashraf
Apr 25, 2012 Rasha Ashraf Ashraf rated it really liked it
looks interesting !
Vladimir Bushin
Jul 29, 2012 Vladimir Bushin rated it it was amazing
"Manage It!" is one of my favorite books about agile. A good part of the book is devoted to communication challenges expressed in "schedule games". It is not a complete list of practices working with the executive management but they are definitely most common. I appreciate that the author highlighted the management issues and proposed solutions proven to be successful by years of practice.
There's also much value in discussing strategic aspects of agile. This book is a great guide to a well orga
Larry Wright
Aug 11, 2011 Larry Wright rated it it was amazing
Great book for beginning or experienced project managers. It's not a PMP type of book, the emphasis here is on agile project management methodologies though there is some discussion of waterfall and others. I'd highly recommend this book to anyone doing project management, especially of software projects.
Tomas Kejzlar
Jul 10, 2013 Tomas Kejzlar rated it it was amazing
Manage It! is my number one guide when it comes to agile project management. Johanna clearly and in a very coprherensive and entertaining way describes almost everything one may encounter while running agile projects. Especially the chapter regarding schedule games is a big help for me.
Dan
Oct 16, 2011 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: work, productivity
Really useful and informative. Devastating analysis of serial status reporting meetings, and compelling arguments throughout. Not exactly a page-turner perhaps, but well worth the effort and highly recommended.
Donna
Nov 10, 2011 Donna rated it liked it
Reading for book, wouldn't recommend it unless you want to be a strong PM like me :) lol
Douglas
Nov 18, 2013 Douglas rated it it was amazing
This book is already a great guide through my career and will only become more valuable to me with time. I know it.
Lachlan
Mar 31, 2009 Lachlan rated it really liked it
Quite a handy book. There are some sections that I would have loved to had more detail - such as program management. Still, it's a good read.
Joao Cerdeira
Sep 22, 2011 Joao Cerdeira rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I had ever read about Project Management not related to any discipline in particular.

Very pragmatic approach to PM activities.
Charlie
Jan 28, 2017 Charlie rated it liked it
Not bad at all, but also not super compelling
Pablo Fonseca
Jan 04, 2011 Pablo Fonseca rated it it was amazing
Very good book to introduce or improve project management.
Aleksi Ahtiainen
Aleksi Ahtiainen rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2016
Pierce
Pierce rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2010
Steve Fenton
Steve Fenton rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2013
Pascal Collet
Pascal Collet rated it really liked it
Sep 25, 2016
Andy Leichtle
Andy Leichtle rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Ryan Walker
Ryan Walker rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2014
Carlose Lopez
Carlose Lopez rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Henrik Loevborg
Henrik Loevborg rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2013
Paweł
Paweł rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Soroush
Soroush rated it it was ok
Dec 21, 2010
Michael Dubakov
Michael Dubakov rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Aaron
Aaron rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Raluca
Raluca rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Ship It!
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises
  • Agile Software Development
  • Waltzing with Bears: Managing Risk on Software Projects
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Agile Software Development with Scrum
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • Driving Technical Change
  • The Agile Samurai: How Agile Masters Deliver Great Software

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
I provide frank advice for your tough problems in my non-fiction. I write about tough, smart women in my fiction. My heroines have more guts than I do...

Here's the more formal bio:
I consult, speak, and write on managing high-technology product development. I've helped managers, teams, and organizations to become more effective by applying my pragmatic approaches to their issues of hiring, project
More about Johanna Rothman...