Start by marking “The Wizard Of Oz (Great Classics For Children)” as Want to Read:
The Wizard Of Oz (Great Classics For Children)

The Wizard Of Oz (Great Classics For Children)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A quality collection of treasured classics, fully illustrated and carefully adapted for children.
Published January 1st 2004 by Dalmatian Press

To ask other readers questions about The Wizard Of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wizard Of Oz

Isabella
My Rating: 2.5/5 stars

Before we begin this review, I would just like to confess something. I have never actually read, or fully seen, WIZARD OF OZ. I have seen parts of the movie adaptation, and seen part of a school play, but I have never seen the whole thing in full; nor have I read it.

Now that I've got that off my chest... Let's move on to the review.

This was an adaptation of the original novel, so obviously it was meant for younger readers. I felt like a baby, reading this copy, and it was s
Becky
(Oz,#1) LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!
Kim
I read the "Great Reads Edition" (couldn't find it on here, but that cover picture is the same as on my edition) edited by Kathryn Knight. I did NOT realize this was an abridged version when I purchased it and was annoyed to discover it was. I'm not certain what I missed by reading an abridged version, but I don't think it would affect my overall opinion. I did NOT like this book at all. After growing up watching the enjoyable movie I was shocked to read how violent, disjointed, and poorly writt ...more
Hailey Layug
This is a great story for kids to picture this in mind. Every chapter is a new adventure.The characters are very brave.They all want to have or go some where.Dorthy wants to go home,scarecrow wants some brains,tinman wants a heart,and lion wants some courage.They discovered that oz isn't a big head floating, it was a man.He tried to stay a secret but toto found him.They were mad at oz.this a great book for kids.
Laura5
I read the condensed and adapted edition by Suzi Alexander (ISBN: 978-1-40379-507-6)
It looks as if many editions are clumped together here.

The Bud loved this as a read aloud. It had shorter chapters and lots of illustrations (almost every double page spread has an illustration of some sort).
Where this edition was lacking was the writing. I found myself rewriting parts in my head as I read aloud.

McKenzie
I finished this book in about an hour or so. It was a light read that was very fun to read. I have loved the movie for as long as I can remember, so I decided to read the book. The characters were very real. The writing style was well written for a children's book. And the plot was planned well. I read this for a light read, and to read it for fun! I give it five stars!
This is a condensed version of The Wizard of Oz. I have never read the original (shame on me!), but my understanding is that it wouldn't be appropriate for children--this was a PERFECT, fun book to read aloud.

There are a lot of differences between the book and the movie--so we will be watching it this weekend and comparing/contrasting the movie to the book.
Sheri
I really fun way to introduce my 4 year old to Oz. I read it aloud to her and we got through it very fast - a few days. Having a illustration on almost every other page really helped keep her attention. We have also been listening to the soundtrack and matching the songs to parts of the story. I picked my copy up at target in the dollar section.
Grace
My son (5) seemed to enjoy it...means we might get started on reading chapter books. Because he's so young, some of the story went over his head, but he understood most of it and could carry out a conversation about what we read.
Aravis
In the beginning, Dorothy killed the Wicked Witch. In the middle, she meets her friends the scarecrow, the tin woodman, and the cowardly lion. In the end, they meet Oz the great and terrible and find out he's a humbug.
Pyxipyro
Just as wonderful to read today as it was as a child. Love the story. I am somewhat partial to the winged monkeys. Love the idea of them.
Rebekah M.
Here we go again..
I didn't much care for this abridged version. The illustrations didn't appeal to us either.
Lizzie
This is a book that is just like the movie.I was reading it to Bandit and he tilted his head when I said Toto.
Kristin
Its a lot different from the movie. The ruby slippers aren't even red, they're silver! :D
Lilly
Mar 25, 2011 Lilly rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Maggie
Shelves: own
Excellent book.
Lexie Huber
Lexie Huber is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Erica
Erica added it
Feb 28, 2015
Gillian
Gillian marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Weslley Martinelle
Weslley Martinelle marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Liz
Liz added it
Jan 27, 2015
Margo
Margo marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Cedric
Cedric marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015