Start by marking “Notes From Little Lakes: The Story Of A Family And Fifteen Acres” as Want to Read:
Notes From Little Lakes: The Story Of A Family And Fifteen Acres

Notes From Little Lakes: The Story Of A Family And Fifteen Acres

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  15 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Mel Ellis describes how he and his wife and their five daughters (The Rebels) turned a tract of pastureland into a haven for trees, flowers and wildlife. In the lore of nature and the environment, Little Lakes is as familiar and as important as Aldo Leopold's Sand County.
Hardcover
Published July 1st 1998 by Cabin Bookshelf

To ask other readers questions about Notes From Little Lakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes From Little Lakes

Lisa
Dec 09, 2008 Lisa marked it as to-read
Jeff and I each heard a part of this on the local public radio's "Chapter a Day." We were both intrigued (which is the point of the program), and we want to read it together at some point.
Kriscrowe
I'm marking this as read, although I didn't finish it. This was one of our book club choices and it was a collection of his writings for the Milwaukee Paper in the 70s. It was his reflections on nature and the little sanctuary they created just outside of Milwaukee, which was nice to read in little doses. He is a very observant, poetic writer and these would be great as examples for English class, but not something I wanted to curl up with and read through.
Mary
Jun 05, 2010 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mary by: NPR
Shelves: gave-to-a-friend
Great book to read during your lunch hour. Living in the area that he wrote about makes one glad that there are still spots not uprouted by bulldozers -- places where one can sit and listen to the wind through the trees and birdsong. What a wonderful way to bring up children -- with nature and all the lessons one can learn from experiencing nature rather than just reading about it. Reading the book made my yearn for living in the country ache a bit more.
Joel
Joel added it
Jul 25, 2014
Carol Zwickey
Carol Zwickey marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jan 04, 2014
Josh Dupont
Josh Dupont marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2014
Kathryn Roever
Kathryn Roever marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2012
Deidre
Deidre marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2012
Connie
Connie added it
Jul 23, 2011
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2010
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2009
Audra
Audra added it
Jan 04, 2009
Flight of the White Wolf Wild goose, brother goose, The Wild Horse Killers Peg Leg Pete The Land Always the Land