Start by marking “Celebrations at Thrush Green” as Want to Read:
Celebrations at Thrush Green

Celebrations at Thrush Green (Thrush Green #11)

Miss Read's 36th novel takes readers back to the village of Thrush Green, where special plans and celebrations are being made for the village school's 100th anniversary celebration. And although plans become complicated, events culminate in a very special celebration.
Published December 31st 1993 by Houghton Mifflin (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Celebrations at Thrush Green, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celebrations at Thrush Green

Harriet
Aug 07, 2013 Harriet rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful book about the every day lives of the villagers of Thrush Green. I find these books deeply refreshing.
Kate
"In the Cotswolds village of Thrush Green, celebrations are under way. A statue of Nathaniel Patten has graced the village green for years, but little is known of the village's distinguished son until an unexpected letter arrives. When the correspondence show that one hundred years have passed since the opening of Patten's mission school in Africa, coinciding with the centenary of Thrush Green's own village school, the townsfolk decide to combine the festivities for a very special occasion. As ...more
Ladysatel
Jan 26, 2016 Ladysatel rated it really liked it
A charming little story set in the Village of Thrush Greene, England. The townsfolk are all working together to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the birth of native who went to Africa as a missionary. He never returned to England, but from correspondence with his mentor, it was plain he loved his chosen life and that was reciprocated by the natives he helped.

The local historian who was responsible for having a statue of the missionary erected is working with the Reverend of the local church an
Deborah
Aug 16, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to do a combined review for all the remaining Thrush Green books (with the exception of Christmas) because although they are all excellent, they are also all basically the same, in the way that episodes of The Archers are all the same. So, still worth reading; but hard to differentiate one book from another.

The attraction comes from seeing the seasons ebb and flow, and picking up the stories of the characters. There are changes - characters die, babies are born, houses are built, newc
Snap
Dec 20, 2014 Snap rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, read-in-2014
I felt very lucky to find CELEBRATIONS AT THRUSH GREEN at Half-Price Books. Many of my reading friends have read Miss Read and recommended her highly. I can see why. This is a charming chronicle of life in the Cotswolds village of Thrush Green. The villagers are preparing to celebrate two centennials. One hundred years ago, Nathaniel Patten, the village's most distinguished son, started a mission school in Africa. Thrush Green's own village school was also started one hundred years ago. It was ...more
Eva
Jun 24, 2011 Eva rated it it was amazing
Another lovely story about the doings at little village Thrush Green. It's time to plan the 100 year anniversary of Thrush Green grammar school. At the same time, the school in Africa founded by Thrush Green graduate, Nathaniel Patten, is celebrating an anniversary. Dottie Harmer is writing a book about her father, who was once schoolmaster of the village school, and was feared by many of his less stellar students. Everybody gets involved in the preparations and a good time was had by all.
Dawn
Jun 29, 2011 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-goodreads
When I need a dip into my past, I read Miss Read. Celebrations at Thrush Green fit the bill. As usually, Miss Read recalls a time gone by when villages thrived and friends and neighbors knew one another over the span of generations. This time the village of Thrush Green is working together to celebrate it's famous native son on the centenary of the opening of the village school and of a mission school in far away Africa. Loely!
Aug 06, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
As charming as ever, "Celebrations at Thrush Green" is a relaxing return to the village with all the familiar, quirky old characters, and never fails to delight me when I need something easy to listen to at bedtime.
I would certainly not recommend this to friends who are looking for action or a good storyline, because it just rolls on peacefully towards a satisfying and predictable end. The audiobook is read by Gwen Watford, who had such a charming, serene voice and a lovely accent.
Ellie Sorota
Aug 27, 2010 Ellie Sorota rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Miss Read invents a comfortable cast of characters in her Thrush Green novels. A tiny village and typical problems can sometimes make for tedious reading, though. Sadly, that's the case with this novel. There is no central conflict, though one minor one adds slight interest. The book trudges along with the expected turns, though they are few. Unless you are a Miss Read devotee, I do not recommend this book. (Even bathroom literature should at times produce an outcry!)
Sally
Jun 02, 2015 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
Life does not always move at the fast action pace often depicted in novels. One might think the processes of preparing for a school and city founder celebration would be boring, but I found this tale to move along easily and logically without a lot of hectic tension. This is another lovely visit with the characters of Thrush Green.
Emily
Sep 06, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
This is one of those series where nobody gets any older, and it gets more obvious as the series progresses. I haven't decided if that's a good thing or not.

The author also tends to rehash older books as she introduces each character in each new book, and that is a little tedious at times.
Sarah Tummey
Feb 12, 2015 Sarah Tummey rated it did not like it
Absolutely nothing happens in this book; well, they have a celebration, but you knew that from the title. There are no interesting characters; nothing.

I thought this was a one-off, but I've just seen there's a whole series of Thrush Green novels. Are people sleep-reading?
Jessica Felton
Apr 19, 2015 Jessica Felton rated it really liked it
I love the Miss Read books - definitely comfort reading as the characters are so well written and you get quite caught up in their lives.
Tressa
Jul 01, 2013 Tressa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audiobook
The narration by Gwen Watford for Celebrations at Thrush Green was enjoyable. The story was a pleasant slice of life in England that took place between World War I and World War II.
elizabeth marks
elizabeth marks rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2016
Sarah Hearn
Sarah Hearn rated it really liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2016
Libbeth
Libbeth rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2008
Dena
Dena rated it it was amazing
Mar 16, 2014
Grier
Grier rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2012
Julie
Julie rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2013
Katy
Jul 13, 2014 Katy rated it liked it
Shelves: miss-read, 2014
Not one of my favorites...too much about Nathaniel Patten.
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2014
Kelly
Kelly rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2016
Anne
Anne rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2012
Nina
Nina rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2013
Sandy Richardson
Sandy Richardson rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
May 02, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Vittoria Cottage (Dering Family, #1)
  • Laughter on the Stairs
  • East of Peculiar (Hannah Garvey Mystery #1)
  • Holiday Hideout
  • The Heart of the Family (Eliots of Damerosehay, #3)
  • Not All Tarts Are Apple
  • Love Among the Ruins
  • A Kind of Grief
Dora Jessie Saint MBE née Shafe (born 17 April 1913), best known by the pen name Miss Read, was an English novelist, by profession a schoolmistress. Her pseudonym was derived from her mother's maiden name. She began writing for several journals after World War II and worked as a scriptwriter for the BBC.

She wrote a series of novels from 1955 to 1996. Her work centred on two fictional English villa
More about Miss Read...

Thrush Green (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #1)
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
  • News from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #3)
  • Battles at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #4)
  • Return to Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #5)
  • Gossip from Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #6)
  • Affairs at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #7)
  • At Home in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #8)
  • The School at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #9)
  • Friends at Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #10)

“My schooldays coincided with a complete ban on teaching the alphabet, and I have a terrible time finding anything in the telephone directory.” 0 likes