Start by marking “The Quantum Brain: The Search for Freedom and the Next Generation of Man” as Want to Read:
The Quantum Brain: The Search for Freedom and the Next Generation of Man

The Quantum Brain: The Search for Freedom and the Next Generation of Man

An enthralling look at the convergence of brain science, biological computation and quantum physics, and what it implies about our minds, our selves, our future, even God
Do we really have free will or do we just imagine we do? Do we create our own destinies, or are we merely machines? Will the machines we are now making themselves have free will? These are the fundamental
Published March 5th 2002 by Wiley (first published March 23rd 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Quantum Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quantum Brain

Todd Martin
Mar 06, 2011 Todd Martin rated it did not like it
The Quantum Brain is a deeply flawed book. Instead of counting the ways (which would simply take too long) I’ll focus on two fundamental errors that result from the brain of a sloppy thinker.

Before we begin, you have to understand that Satinover is an ideologue. Which means that he has preconceived notions of reality. He then selects evidence to support his preconceived notions, ignoring evidence that does not. This type of thinking is called “confirmation bias” – the tendency to search for or i
Jef
Jul 27, 2008 Jef rated it it was amazing
They applied genetic algorithms to FPGAs and they came up with designs that don't make any sense but work. The theory is that they (the circuits) are taking advantage of non-linear effects between gates.
There is ample evidence to suggest that the structure of the brain is able to amplify quantum effects.
Benjamin
Nov 06, 2011 Benjamin rated it really liked it
Still only halfway through. My library copy was missing a chapter. It's a synthesis of computer science, neurology, quantum physics and philosophy. The writing is thick and tarry and was a little hairy for me five years ago. Will report back later when I find another copy.

David Layton
Jun 22, 2016 David Layton rated it liked it
This is a difficult book to review, mainly because Satinover summarizes an impressive amount of tricky scientific information so that his purpose for the book gets somewhat lost. Subtitling the book with the word "freedom," Satinover is rather carefully hiding that what he is really after is to establish a scientific basis for an Augustinian/Boethian version of free will. Satinover's choices in scientific theories provide him with a means, he thinks, to synthesize free will.

The book takes on mu
Joe Rogel
Feb 04, 2008 Joe Rogel rated it really liked it
Though far from a knockout text on quantum mechanics (If such a thing can exist), it’s a confident jab into a reality distorted by subatomic “weirdness”.

Overall, I’d say this is a fantastic primer to prepare for deeper study of the interplay between classical and quantum physics- All delivered in an elevated, but accessible way (Even though I had to do some background reading on some of the physics and neural-network subjects to understand what the heck he was talking about).

In terms of critici
Bud Hewlett
Feb 15, 2009 Bud Hewlett rated it it was amazing
This book is at least in my top twenty, maybe the top ten. Satinover is an MD (psychiatrist) and a particle physicist.
I believe he is an orthodox Jew, but he has been on Focus On The Family with Dobson being interviewed about his book Homosexuality and the Politics Of Truth (which is also excellent). The book needed a better editor as it has some mistakes, but it is absolutely fascinating, though pretty deep. I bought two extra copies for my sons and they helped explain some of the more difficul
Ryan
Dec 03, 2012 Ryan rated it did not like it
Shelves: neuro
Satinover, when not bashing on gay people, is busy making up things about the brain. he has decided that quantum theory can give a person free will, obviously misunderstanding both quantum mechanics and scientific determinism.

i really liked his explanation of energy minima and the diagrams showing synapse reinforcement.

unfortunately, it all adds up to his declaration that jesus is lord.

i guess take what you can from this book, if you don't mind funding the lifestyle of a bigot.

rk
Marc
Jul 02, 2012 Marc rated it it was amazing
Heady stuff. Eminently readable. This book fundamental changed my view of free will, creativity, and the promise and peril of artificial intelligence. After years of being indoctrinated by scientific reductionism, this book was a breath of fresh air to me. We are more than the sum our parts. No where is this more true than in the human brain, where the unexpected can and does happen. Novelty, originality, genius and freedom--it's all real.
Alexander Temerev
Oct 25, 2013 Alexander Temerev rated it it was amazing
Most of the attacks on this book are related to the personal beliefs of its author.

Ignore the author and read the book. It is really deep and amazing. Maybe not properly "scientific" in the modern understanding of science (but it would be perfectly scientific in the golden age of science), but really revealing.
Thadd
Jul 16, 2010 Thadd rated it it was amazing
Dr. Satinover's sentences are overly long, somewhat hard to read. However, this technical book, a title that takes a long time to get through, is packed with fascinating ideas. Read it again and again. You'll learn a lot.
Carlo
Feb 14, 2011 Carlo rated it it was amazing
I liked it so much... The writer manages to guide us through the paths of our incredible brain in a new prospective. The quantic theory applied to the human brain could explain the incredible power of the brain...
Fabio Grazioso
Feb 04, 2009 Fabio Grazioso is currently reading it
very interesting. a good source of intuitions. a divulgative book about the subject I am interested in.
Marlen
Marlen rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Jul 15, 2012
Ian Woolf
Ian Woolf rated it it was amazing
Aug 22, 2013
Des Hunt
Des Hunt rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2017
Jb17112
Jb17112 rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2015
Shadows
Shadows rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2013
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
May 06, 2011
Abe Alexander
Abe Alexander rated it did not like it
Jan 25, 2015
John Fell
John Fell rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2012
Tyler
Tyler rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2017
David Willcox
David Willcox rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2012
Afugairon
Afugairon rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2008
Douglas Ross
Douglas Ross rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2010
Brie
Brie rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2007
Jovany Agathe
Jovany Agathe rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2014
Phillip Hansen
Phillip Hansen rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2014
Julian Marin
Julian Marin rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Christopher Schuck
Christopher Schuck rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Mind Into Matter: A New Alchemy of Science and Spirit
  • The Mystery Of Consciousness
  • The Self-Aware Universe: How Consciousness Creates the Material World
  • The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena
  • 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • The Physics Of Consciousness: The Quantum Mind And The Meaning Of Life
  • Cats vs. Dogs (National Geographic Readers)
  • Fully Alive: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change
  • The Dumpster Diver
  • Brain Gender
  • The Crystal Healer: Crystal prescriptions that will change your life forever
  • Love Magic
  • The Belly Book
  • Fresh Vegetable and Fruit Juices
  • Folklore and Symbolism of Flowers, Plants and Trees
  • The Cult of Information: A Neo-Luddite Treatise on High-Tech, Artificial Intelligence, and the True Art of Thinking
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Stories