Start by marking “Introduction to Quantum Mechanics” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

4.19  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,264 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
This book first teaches learners how to "do" quantum mechanics, and then provides them with a more insightful discussion of what it "means." Fundamental principles are covered, quantum theory presented, and special techniques developed for attacking realistic problems. The book s two-part coverage organizes topics under basic theory, and assembles an arsenal of approximati ...more
Hardcover, Second Edition, 468 pages
Published March 1st 2004 by Pearson (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

Sanjay Gautam
In my university it was the prescribed textbook. And, to be honest, it failed to make any impact. Although it was good in some aspects, it was insanely bad in many.

Good:
1. It does not require the mastery of advanced mathematics which makes this book suitable for beginners.
2. Its tone is informal and makes it readable.

Insanely bad:
1. Puts out the bra-ket algebra in the beginning but never uses beyond it.
2. He has given most of the necessary derivations as exercises, which makes it unsuitable for
Tom
May 15, 2016 Tom rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Students with no background in classical physics and linear algebra
Shelves: quantum
Update (05/15/16): tl;dr: I would give this book more stars if it is titled "Introduction to Wave Mechanics."

First, the good: this book doesn't require mastery of "advanced" classical physics and math such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, electromagnetism, partial differential equations, linear algebra, or statistics. For example, Griffiths takes his time to explain standard deviations, separation of variables, and phase and group velocity in the beginning. This makes the book very acces
Sasha
Nov 11, 2015 Sasha rated it it was amazing
Marry me, professor Griffiths
Robert Schinaia
Nov 06, 2014 Robert Schinaia rated it it was amazing
I used this textbook when I was taking quantum mechanics classes years ago, and it is the best textbook I have ever read. This book differs from most other quantum mechanics textbooks in that it ignores the historical development of quantum mechanics, and jumps straight into the mathematical formalism (the reader is faced with the time-dependent Schrodinger equation on the very first page!). In the first five chapters of the book, Griffiths explains the basic concepts of quantum mechanics. Chapt ...more
Anton Simakov
Aug 03, 2014 Anton Simakov rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
According to the title the book is intended to be an introduction to quantum mechanics, but in fact it introduces the reader to wave mechanics. This is the story with many other introductory books on the subject, and as an introduction to wave mechanics this book is not that bad, although not excellent.

But wave mechanics is not the whole story: the wave function formalism is not the most fundamental one and besides it is not general. There are a lot of quantum systems the state of which can not
dead letter office
Apr 16, 2008 dead letter office rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: texts
if you must be introduced to quantum mechanics, griffiths is your guy. worlds above any other book i've seen as an intro.
Laurel
Mar 30, 2008 Laurel rated it it was amazing
Yeah, that's right. Five stars for the physics text book. That's how big a dork I am.
Mohamed IBrahim
Jan 22, 2016 Mohamed IBrahim rated it really liked it
Why?
Bojan Tunguz
Oct 22, 2011 Bojan Tunguz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Quantum Mechanics has a reputation for being one of the most esoteric topics in all of Physics. This reputation is largely well deserved, and it has it source in two aspects of Quantum Mechanics that make it particularly hard to understand. Conceptually, Quantum Mechanics puts to test some of our most deeply engrained intuitions about the Physical world. Such notions as the reality of the world apart from our attempts to observe it, causality of events, ability to measure all of relevant quantit ...more
Adam
Feb 20, 2016 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
The most accessible QM book out there. Although accessible, it does not in any stretch of the imagination simplify anything.
It offers visual representations of phenomena whenever possible and the conversational style of the book makes reading it a breeze.
The fact that there is also a solutions manual is a great thing, because it means that we get to solve its exercises and check out the full solutions right away!
While i would want more explanations about the connections that the wavefunctions
Haneen AlSuradi
Very much overrated !! As you go further the book becomes worse. I hope it was well-written like the Electrodynamics book written by the same author..

Not elaborate enough, no much text. Many important points are left as problems to be solved. In other texts they provide sections explaining these ideas.

The physical sense in the book is minor and it's lost between the lines of algebra and calculus.

One of the books that made me suffer during my studies.
Ahmad Kishki
Mar 22, 2015 Ahmad Kishki rated it really liked it
Self studying. Expect to be done by april. Accordingly, i will either recommend or not recommend this book for ambitious physicists.

Comments on structure so far:

1) the harmonic oscillator solution and the hydrogen atom were very informative
2) the angular momentum was treated in a horrendous fashion
3) the formalities of qm were introduced then quickly discarded
4) had to be supplemented by mit.ocw.edu many times (i referred dr. Allan Adam's superb lectures)
5) transition from orbital angular momen
Jonathan
This book was our set book for Quantum mechanics. Although the descriptions were good and the calculations were admittedly useful the main point against it was that a lot of the topic was relegated to the questions. But you were left entirely on your own at this point as there were no solutions to the questions (these were supplied in a separate book for academic staff only). With the result that if you couldn't answer the question you were left with a gaping hole in your knowledge and probably ...more
Ryan
Apr 19, 2014 Ryan rated it liked it
Good introduction to Quantum mechanics. Not a huge focus on necesary statistical concepts. And deals almost entirely with the diferential form of the schrodinger equation, without really getting into Dirac notation.
Hangci Du
Mar 18, 2015 Hangci Du rated it it was ok
Many of my classmates think it is amazing.

But I cannot figure out anything different.

I think it is normal
Laura LVD
Mar 27, 2016 Laura LVD rated it really liked it
Shelves: science
Good to understand most topics. It gets a bit philosophical when introducing the 3 points of view about the theory.
But i would have needed something with more worked examples specially in the bracket notation and complex functions part, for spherical armonics etc. which are more difficult to master.
Martina
May 24, 2016 Martina rated it liked it
Shelves: physics
I was leisurely browsing through Griffiths the other day, only to realize that I've never reviewed it. Ah well. That's not entirely my fault, as my first quantum mechanical textbook was Sakurai, who was joined by others afterwards. Interestingly, Griffiths never got among my go-to books. That has nothing to do with the quality of the book. Introduction to quantum mechanics is a fine textbook for budding physicists, but then again, if someone has the spark in him/herself, then it doesn't matter w ...more
Pradnya
Jan 04, 2016 Pradnya rated it it was amazing
Well explained and deeply worked upon. Easy to understand. Covers all major points. Great book
Pero Krivić
Sep 16, 2014 Pero Krivić rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary simple and intuitive way of presenting complicated underlays of quantum mechanics. First two chapters brilliantly reveal what the QM is all about, meaning of the wave function and what to do with Schrodinger equation. Later, it becomes more mathematical, but diligent student will have no trouble with it. Through numerous example and problems, one encounters many fundamental phenomena of QM: simple hydrogen atom model, configuration of atoms, structure of solids, bose einstein conde ...more
Xiaozhen Fu
May 02, 2015 Xiaozhen Fu rated it liked it
Shelves:
Really good book, but challenging for me to read on.
Rich Bergmann
Jan 21, 2015 Rich Bergmann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no better introduction to the subject anywhere.
trivialchemy
Jun 15, 2007 trivialchemy rated it it was ok
Shelves: sciences
This book has a very high average rating. Perhaps my disagreement comes from my non-traditional background in Quantum Mechanics, where I was first exposed to the formal aspects of the theory in the Spanish school system. At any rate, I found the theoretical elaborations highly schematic, and lacking even a nod towards rigor. Sure Griffiths has an approachable, even amusing voice, but that doesn't excuse for me the failure to really link the formal theory and its physical meaning. This book could ...more
Ahmed Sehli
Apr 06, 2014 Ahmed Sehli rated it it was amazing
5 Stars for the Quantum !
William
Dec 20, 2009 William rated it it was ok
This book is not as good as many say. While well written and readable, there simply isn't enough hard explanation to really understand quantum mechanics without outside help. The problems aren't particularly helpful either. I suppose it is exactly what it says, an introduction. If you want to do quantum mechanics you will need other book. Try Liboff for a similar level but more explanation. It is many times the size, so that gives an idea of how much more information it contains.
James Lyon
Mar 07, 2010 James Lyon rated it it was amazing
This is a great introduction to quantum mechanics. Griffiths starts with the time-dependent Schrodinger equation (rather then the time-independent), and then proceeds to derive the time-independent, a method I prefer. All the basics are covered: 2D and 3D systems (harmonic oscillators, infinite and finite potential wells, etc), and of course the hydrogen atom, all in Griffith's engaging, conversational approach. And the length is just right, too! Highly recommended.
Stuart Woolf
Jan 15, 2013 Stuart Woolf rated it it was amazing
Quantum mechanics is a subject you have to learn again and again before you really get it - and even then, mysteries linger. It's conceptually challenging right from the start, and I can't think of a more accessible text than Griffiths. I must say it's pretty quirky for a physics textbook and it is the only one I have read for fun.

Aside: I met the author while touring colleges back in 2006. Needless to say, he's a brilliant lecturer with a great sense of humor.
Michael
May 06, 2011 Michael rated it really liked it
Griffiths' wonderfully intuitive writing style is in full form here, but not quite as elegant as in his E/M book. This is a very nice introduction to the topic, but it's so very very incomplete. Many interesting and, dare I say essential, things are left as problems or only mentioned in passing. Fortunately there are many examples, unlike Bransden, which makes this way more fun to read. Very accessible, a decent 1st book if your lecturer makes up for the stuff he misses.
Hildur
Dec 18, 2013 Hildur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Explains things in a very "friendly" way which is good because quantum mechanics can be terrifying. Some further hints on how to solve the problems given would have helped, but in general this book is pretty good for what it is.

It taught me quite a lot but even after passing the university course I read this book for, I still feel like I know nothing, which is probably why this book is merely an "introduction".
cory johnson
May 07, 2007 cory johnson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all humans
a fine survey of quantum mechanical problems with close to the perfect ratio of words to equations. also, griffiths is a funny-guy, and many jokes can be found throughout this undergraduate textbook, constantly in a superposition of clever-or-not-clever. controversial axioms (is the momentum operator really that self-evident?) exist, but the humor-value of dirac delta functions compensates for any lack of rigor.
John Klumpp
Jun 09, 2013 John Klumpp rated it it was amazing
I normally wouldn't bother rating a textbook. but Griffiths intro textbooks on Quantum Mechanics and E&M are so helpful and clear, I would recommend them to anyone with a math background who wants to learn about these subjects. Also, if you are taking an undergrad course in one of these subjects and haven't been assigned the Griffiths text, go out and buy it anyway! Also, question the competence of your professor.
Goodreads Librari...: Replacing a book cover- guideline question 6 38 Mar 13, 2015 02:28AM
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences
  • A First Course in General Relativity
  • Optics
  • Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell
  • Course of Theoretical Physics: Vol. 3, Quantum Mechanics: Non-Relativistic Theory
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • Mathematical Methods for Physicists

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »