Start by marking “Introduction to Quantum Mechanics” as Want to Read:
Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,106 ratings  ·  49 reviews
This book first teaches learners how to "do" quantum mechanics, and then provides them with a more insightful discussion of what it "means." Fundamental principles are covered, quantum theory presented, and special techniques developed for attacking realistic problems. The book s two-part coverage organizes topics under basic theory, and assembles an arsenal of approximati ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 468 pages
Published March 1st 2004 by Addison-Wesley (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction to Quantum Mechanics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction to Quantum Mechanics

Sanjay Gautam
In my university it was the prescribed textbook. And, to be honest, it failed to make any impact. Although it was good in some aspects, it was insanely bad in many.

1. It does not require the mastery of advanced mathematics which makes this book suitable for beginners.
2. Its tone is informal and makes it readable.

Insanely bad:
1. Puts out the bra-ket algebra in the beginning but never uses beyond it.
2. He has given most of the necessary derivations as exercises, which makes it unsuitable for
Oct 27, 2013 Tom rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Students with no background in classical physics and linear algebra
First, the good: this book doesn't require mastery of "advanced" classical physics and math such as Lagrangian and Hamiltonian mechanics, electromagnetism, partial differential equations, linear algebra, or statistics. For example, Griffiths takes his time to explain standard deviations, separation of variables, and phase and group velocity in the beginning. This makes the book very accessible.

The bad: While a step by step calculation makes it easy to follow, one often gets lost in details and m
Robert Schinaia
I used this textbook when I was taking quantum mechanics classes years ago, and it is the best textbook I have ever read. This book differs from most other quantum mechanics textbooks in that it ignores the historical development of quantum mechanics, and jumps straight into the mathematical formalism (the reader is faced with the time-dependent Schrodinger equation on the very first page!). In the first five chapters of the book, Griffiths explains the basic concepts of quantum mechanics. Chapt ...more
Marry me, professor Griffiths
Anton Simakov
According to the title the book is intended to be an introduction to quantum mechanics, but in fact it introduces the reader to wave mechanics. This is the story with many other introductory books on the subject, and as an introduction to wave mechanics this book is not that bad, although not excellent.

But wave mechanics is not the whole story: the wave function formalism is not the most fundamental one and besides it is not general. There are a lot of quantum systems the state of which can not
dead letter office
if you must be introduced to quantum mechanics, griffiths is your guy. worlds above any other book i've seen as an intro.
Yeah, that's right. Five stars for the physics text book. That's how big a dork I am.
Bojan Tunguz
Quantum Mechanics has a reputation for being one of the most esoteric topics in all of Physics. This reputation is largely well deserved, and it has it source in two aspects of Quantum Mechanics that make it particularly hard to understand. Conceptually, Quantum Mechanics puts to test some of our most deeply engrained intuitions about the Physical world. Such notions as the reality of the world apart from our attempts to observe it, causality of events, ability to measure all of relevant quantit ...more
Haneen AlSuradi
Very much overrated !! As you go further the book becomes worse. I hope it was well-written like the Electrodynamics book written by the same author..

Not elaborate enough, no much text. Many important points are left as problems to be solved. In other texts they provide sections explaining these ideas.

The physical sense in the book is minor and it's lost between the lines of algebra and calculus.

One of the books that made me suffer during my studies.
Ahmad Kishki
Self studying. Expect to be done by april. Accordingly, i will either recommend or not recommend this book for ambitious physicists.

Comments on structure so far:

1) the harmonic oscillator solution and the hydrogen atom were very informative
2) the angular momentum was treated in a horrendous fashion
3) the formalities of qm were introduced then quickly discarded
4) had to be supplemented by many times (i referred dr. Allan Adam's superb lectures)
5) transition from orbital angular momen
This book was our set book for Quantum mechanics. Although the descriptions were good and the calculations were admittedly useful the main point against it was that a lot of the topic was relegated to the questions. But you were left entirely on your own at this point as there were no solutions to the questions (these were supplied in a separate book for academic staff only). With the result that if you couldn't answer the question you were left with a gaping hole in your knowledge and probably ...more
Good introduction to Quantum mechanics. Not a huge focus on necesary statistical concepts. And deals almost entirely with the diferential form of the schrodinger equation, without really getting into Dirac notation.
Hangci Du
Many of my classmates think it is amazing.

But I cannot figure out anything different.

I think it is normal
Pero Krivić
Extraordinary simple and intuitive way of presenting complicated underlays of quantum mechanics. First two chapters brilliantly reveal what the QM is all about, meaning of the wave function and what to do with Schrodinger equation. Later, it becomes more mathematical, but diligent student will have no trouble with it. Through numerous example and problems, one encounters many fundamental phenomena of QM: simple hydrogen atom model, configuration of atoms, structure of solids, bose einstein conde ...more
Xiaozhen Fu
Really good book, but challenging for me to read on.
Rich Bergmann
There is no better introduction to the subject anywhere.
This book has a very high average rating. Perhaps my disagreement comes from my non-traditional background in Quantum Mechanics, where I was first exposed to the formal aspects of the theory in the Spanish school system. At any rate, I found the theoretical elaborations highly schematic, and lacking even a nod towards rigor. Sure Griffiths has an approachable, even amusing voice, but that doesn't excuse for me the failure to really link the formal theory and its physical meaning. This book could ...more
Ahmed Sehli
5 Stars for the Quantum !
This book is not as good as many say. While well written and readable, there simply isn't enough hard explanation to really understand quantum mechanics without outside help. The problems aren't particularly helpful either. I suppose it is exactly what it says, an introduction. If you want to do quantum mechanics you will need other book. Try Liboff for a similar level but more explanation. It is many times the size, so that gives an idea of how much more information it contains.
James Lyon
This is a great introduction to quantum mechanics. Griffiths starts with the time-dependent Schrodinger equation (rather then the time-independent), and then proceeds to derive the time-independent, a method I prefer. All the basics are covered: 2D and 3D systems (harmonic oscillators, infinite and finite potential wells, etc), and of course the hydrogen atom, all in Griffith's engaging, conversational approach. And the length is just right, too! Highly recommended.
Stuart Woolf
Quantum mechanics is a subject you have to learn again and again before you really get it - and even then, mysteries linger. It's conceptually challenging right from the start, and I can't think of a more accessible text than Griffiths. I must say it's pretty quirky for a physics textbook and it is the only one I have read for fun.

Aside: I met the author while touring colleges back in 2006. Needless to say, he's a brilliant lecturer with a great sense of humor.
Griffiths' wonderfully intuitive writing style is in full form here, but not quite as elegant as in his E/M book. This is a very nice introduction to the topic, but it's so very very incomplete. Many interesting and, dare I say essential, things are left as problems or only mentioned in passing. Fortunately there are many examples, unlike Bransden, which makes this way more fun to read. Very accessible, a decent 1st book if your lecturer makes up for the stuff he misses.
Explains things in a very "friendly" way which is good because quantum mechanics can be terrifying. Some further hints on how to solve the problems given would have helped, but in general this book is pretty good for what it is.

It taught me quite a lot but even after passing the university course I read this book for, I still feel like I know nothing, which is probably why this book is merely an "introduction".
cory johnson
May 07, 2007 cory johnson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all humans
a fine survey of quantum mechanical problems with close to the perfect ratio of words to equations. also, griffiths is a funny-guy, and many jokes can be found throughout this undergraduate textbook, constantly in a superposition of clever-or-not-clever. controversial axioms (is the momentum operator really that self-evident?) exist, but the humor-value of dirac delta functions compensates for any lack of rigor.
John Klumpp
I normally wouldn't bother rating a textbook. but Griffiths intro textbooks on Quantum Mechanics and E&M are so helpful and clear, I would recommend them to anyone with a math background who wants to learn about these subjects. Also, if you are taking an undergrad course in one of these subjects and haven't been assigned the Griffiths text, go out and buy it anyway! Also, question the competence of your professor.
I really like this book for the basics, from wave mechanics to time independent perturbation theory. However, the more complicated topics toward the end aren't treated as well. Additionally, Dirac notation seems to take a bit of a backseat to the more introductory wave mechanics notation which can do the students planning to attend grad school a slight disservice when they have to tackle Sakurai.
After reading the first two chapters, it is apparent that this book is a far cry from the electrodynamics classic. It gets the job done, but skips even MORE critical math steps, gives disjointed and irrelevant examples and takes a high-handed approach to teaching quantum.

Personally, I think there are better Quantum books out there.
This is easily the best QM text out there. Griffith keeps it simple and elegant and he has an incredibly helpful rubric. He sort of holds your hand through the proofs and sometimes spends entire chapters on one equation, but it's always a clear train of thought.

To recapitulate, use this book to learn quantum mechanics!
This book is so incredibly easy to read it's hard to believe it's a full-fledged quantum mechanics textbook with equations and everything. A lot of people whine about this book which essentially boils down to technical nitpicking. It's the most accessible way to really do Q.M. out there.
Ned Peneguy
Best book on QM that I've yet picked up.
Goodreads Librari...: Replacing a book cover- guideline question 6 35 Mar 13, 2015 02:28AM
  • Modern Quantum Mechanics
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • The Principles of Quantum Mechanics
  • Mathematical Methods for Physicists

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »