Start by marking “Unlucky” as Want to Read:
Unlucky

Unlucky

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  809 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Fortune's Folly

Everyone in Royal Flush, Louisiana, knows Mallory Devereaux is a walking disaster. At least now she's found a way to take advantage of her chronic bad luck: by "cooling" cards on her uncle's casino boat. As long as the crooks invited to his special poker tournament don't win their money back, she'll get a cut of the pofit.

But Mal isn't the only one working s
Published November 1st 2007 by Love Spell (first published October 30th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky

Beautiful Creatures by Kami GarciaThe Dark Divine by Bree DespainUnearthly by Cynthia HandNightshade by Andrea CremerRomeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare
The Color Purple
415th out of 1,013 books — 275 voters
Lady Luck by Kristen AshleyThe Bro-Magnet by Lauren Baratz-LogstedWhat a Woman Wants by Judi FennellFair Game by Monica  MurphyLife on the Level by Zoraida Córdova
Poker in Romance Novels
12th out of 59 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Rita Lo
Sep 16, 2014 Rita Lo rated it it was ok
I liked this book, I guess, but I was at the same time disappointed and that's saying much considering how low my expectations were. The plot was interesting and the FBI agent was good but they never really showed how SHE was unlucky, only a phone died and a handle ripped. They never explained how she was able to make a building collapse after she was in it and why is didn't happen to any other buildings. I mean, if she makes a building COLLAPSE she should have a little more bad luck in the ever ...more
Terisa
Apr 04, 2013 Terisa rated it really liked it
I honestly don't understand all of the low reviews that I've seen on this book. I honestly enjoyed it from start to finish.

This book even started off really funny with Mallory at a bar making passes at overweight port o potty salesman so that a priest could win at pool. I laughed out loud at her antics as well as those of Father Thomas.

Poor Mallory and some of the things that happen to her are down right hilarious but she has a great group of friends that are always there for her. Amy, who loo
Anita
Jan 30, 2015 Anita rated it really liked it
Funny in spots, romantic, lite-paranormal, a twist at the takedown I didn't see coming. A cast of characters you would expect from a book set in the bayou.

Mallory has been cursed with bad luck from birth. It rubs off on anyone who touches her. Jake is very interested is rubbing up against her. Mallory needs money to save the demolition business she works for. She agrees to use her curse for her uncle in exchange for the money she needs. The whole simple plan takes an unexpected turn when Jake tu
Mindy
May 01, 2013 Mindy rated it it was ok
I am actually reading a collection where this was the first book. It just wasn't my cup of tea.
Jill
Apr 20, 2009 Jill rated it liked it
Virginia
Jan 25, 2009 Virginia rated it it was ok
This book frustrated me, because it had an interesting premise and interesting characters, but BOY did Ms. Deleon need a better editor. The story wasn't as tight as it could have been and frequently meandered off topic. It wasn't nearly as rich and deep as it could have been. There were pages and pages of totally unnecessary desicription, and no description when there should have been tons.

Explanations of character's relationships to each other came at the end of the book when I basically didn't
Ros Mitchelson
Jan 05, 2016 Ros Mitchelson rated it really liked it
We have had non stop rain for 4 days now so plenty of reading getting done. I came across Jana DeLeon through the Misfortune Series - a free ebook from Amazon. I enjoyed the book I read the whole series and also the Ghost-in-law series. I enjoyed the lightheartedness and over the top characters. It was just perfect to lose yourself in where you dont have to concentrate too hard to stay with the plot.

I hope to read more of Jana DeLeon
Pattianne
May 21, 2014 Pattianne rated it really liked it
Unlucky - Ghost-inplaw series #5 (Mallory and Jake)

Mallory Devereaux is known throughout the town of Royal Flush, Louisiana as a walking disaster and her luck just got worse. She needs to raise ten-thousand dollars in one week to keep the IRS from seizing her adopted fathers business where she works as the demolition foreman.

When the opportunity to cool cards at her uncle's casino comes up, Mallory hopes her luck is changing. But when she realizes her uncle has assembled a tournament of crimina
Jeanie Jackson
Nov 28, 2013 Jeanie Jackson rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery-etc
A fun story with delightful characters. The main character, (whose name I have to look up) brings disastrous luck where ever she goes, so much so that she had to change careers from building buildings to demolishing them. She can keep a boyfriend because her bad luck rubs off on anyone she touches. When she needs money to save her friends business and her job, her not too nice uncle sets her up to mess up the luck of some big time mob gamblers. Of course he doesn't tell her that is who is gambli ...more
Dec 13, 2010 Laura rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Before I complain about this book, let me say that I did enjoy it, and it's a good beach-type light read. Now, for my complaints. The story line and premise of this book is very similar to Toni Causey's Charmed and Dangerous. They both have a chronically unlucky Cajun woman who gets mixed up in a criminal scheme and goverment set up, only to fall in love with the undercover FBI agent determined to keep her safe. Inprobable but hilarious situations ensue. They are so similar that they even both i ...more
Roxann
Jun 21, 2014 Roxann rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. A Yankee FBI Agent is out to take down a money launderer. He meets Mallory, an intelligent, witty, strong, cursed woman. Jake down't believe Mallory has bad luck, it's all in her head.

Together they take down the bad guys as they fall in love.
Sandra
Mar 31, 2014 Sandra rated it it was amazing
I was pleasantly surprised with how great this book was and how much I loved it. I could not put it down. The plot is pretty unique and the writing is one of the best i have read in a while.

Shirley
Feb 18, 2016 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Voodoo woman

Card counting, voodoo, drunk priest, poker tournament on a ship...learning what a cooler is...romance,exploding cars...perfect for an afternoon of fun reading.
Penny gardner
Jul 17, 2014 Penny gardner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

good read, the story catches your interest with in the first couple of paragraphs. looking forward to finishing the story.
wendy
Mar 12, 2014 wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

not what I was expecting, but still a good read. lot of plot twists, fun unpredictable. would read a sequel
suze joyce
Nov 01, 2015 suze joyce rated it it was amazing
Love this author. always get a belly full of laughter . Very unique storyline- keeps you guessing
Julie
Oct 07, 2014 Julie rated it it was amazing
A good read. Quirky but good as only Jana DeLeon could do. It has mystery, humor, and romance! Couldn't ask for a better read!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book was an enjoyable read.

Mallory, a demolition expert needs money to buy out a delinquent IRS lien in order to save her Uncle's company and her job.

She takes a job as a 'cooler' in a gambling tournament held in her questionable Uncle's Casino in Louisiana. She knows something is wrong in the entire set up. Something is also wrong with the 'Yankee' Dealer.

This book turned out to be a fast-paced, funny, romantic romp into the worlds of ATF, FBI, and gambling.

Very likable characters. You fi
Kris
Jul 04, 2015 Kris rated it liked it
Started out a bit slow but then got good. Unexpected turn at the end which I liked. I never would have expected it!
Lynn Demsky
Oct 05, 2012 Lynn Demsky rated it liked it
This was a cute read. The beginning was just way to confusing for me, but about 1/3 of the way through I started catching on --- I know nothing about gambling (did learn a bit) so wasn’t as good of a story as her other books. You were just thrown into this situation with no real description of anything going on. Once I figured out who the characters were, (Scooter and the Father were the best!) maybe what they were doing I enjoyed it – good happy ending!
Moondance
Mallory is bad luck on legs. Everything she touches breaks, stops or hurts itself. She is the perfect shield for her uncle's highstake poker tournament with high stakes. Jake is a federal agent trying to take down a major bad guy and find his missing partner. Together they are dynamite! Not as much fun as the Mudbug series, but still a quick fun read. 3 stars
Sandra Rae
Oct 07, 2013 Sandra Rae rated it really liked it
Must read. When your born with a curse that gives you something like, the opposite of the Midas touch, you have trouble, especially when your path crosses with an FBI agent. What happens in this book could not only be deadly, but hilarious. watch out for lightning, this chick can bring it.
Pam
Jan 19, 2011 Pam rated it it was ok
While the story itself was cute, this book wasn't able to hold my attention for longer than a chaper or two at a time. I did eventually get through it, but it's not a book I would recommend to others. The characters came across as 'created-people' and were not at all relatable.
Kristen Caldwell
Apr 04, 2013 Kristen Caldwell rated it liked it
Am I the only one that had to look up the ATF? Haha anyway, cute story, kind of thrown together and you have to figure out some of it as you go. I wasn't familiar with gambling jargon, so that took a little figuring out from context. But it was a quick read and pure brain candy.
Teresa
Aug 18, 2013 Teresa rated it liked it
Lots of "out there" stuff in this book, but Deleon makes it almost believable with her style of writing. Gotta love a romantic, happy ending! Mallory is a great character, and you grow to love her along with her interesting friends. Enjoyed, but not my genre of reading.
Carmen
Dec 06, 2013 Carmen rated it it was ok
I finally finished this book after reading it little by little over the span of a few months. I'm a quick reader but I never could bring myself to read it more than a few minutes at a time. It's definitely a great story idea but it was not well executed.
Andrea
Dec 22, 2010 Andrea rated it really liked it
This was pretty good. It wasn't your usual cozy mystery where someone dies so that was nice. I kind of liked the whole unlucky curse thing too. Some of the parts were a little random, but for the most part it was a good read.
Valerie McNamee Earl
This was a so/so book. A little slow, and the plot liked to bend in ways that made it hard to follow. Almost like too much information crammed in without the details, so I was kinda going "Huh?" alot!!
Rebecca
Jun 06, 2013 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This book had a good sense of humour and some likable characters. Although some of the plot was typical and easy to figure out, I would still recommend this book to anyone who enjoys this genre.
Mary Jane
Mar 01, 2012 Mary Jane rated it really liked it
Shelves: liked, nook, mindless, booklist
This book was good entertainment. I needed something light after reading "Unbroken." It flip flopped between romance and mystery. I think there should be a new genre: mysterious romance.
  • Catch Me if You Can (ALPHA Squadron, #1)
  • The Shop of Shades and Secrets (Contemporary Gothic Romance, #1)
  • Stormy Montana Sky (Montana Sky, #3)
  • Finding Kate Huntley
  • 'Scuse Me While I Kill This Guy (Bombay Assassins, #1)
  • Spirits of Bourbon Street - A Short Story (Jade Calhoun Series, Book 6.5) (The Jade Calhoun Series)
  • Elvis and the Tropical Double Trouble
  • Grave Trouble (Lexi Graves Mystery, #2.5)
  • Time After Time
  • No Woman Left Behind (Lexi Carmichael Mystery, #6)
  • Goodbye, Dolly (Gretchen Birch, #2)
  • High Heels Mysteries Boxed Set Vol. II (High Heels, #4-6)
  • Her Perfect Revenge
  • Zane's Redemption (Scanguards Vampires, #5)
  • Popped Off (Stay At Home Dad Mysteries #2)
  • Wishes and Stitches (Cypress Hollow Yarn #3)
  • Dial M for Mischief (Sunshine Girls, #1)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jana DeLeon was raised in southwest Louisiana among the bayous and gators. Her hometown is Carlyss, but you probably won't find it on a map. Her family owned a camp located on a bayou just off the Gulf of Mexico that you could only get there by boat. The most important feature was the rope hammock hanging in the shade on a huge deck that stretched ou ...more
More about Jana Deleon...

“Are you sure you weren't adopted?"
"Mom would like to think so, but it was a natural birth, so her memory's real clear.”
6 likes