Start by marking “A Redbird Christmas ” as Want to Read:
A Redbird Christmas

A Redbird Christmas

3.85  ·  Rating Details ·  12,459 Ratings  ·  1,534 Reviews
With the same incomparable style and warm, inviting voice that have made her beloved by millions of readers far and wide, "New York Times" bestselling author Fannie Flagg has written an enchanting Christmas story of faith and hope for all ages that is sure to become a classic.
Hardcover, Large Print, 327 pages
Published November 2nd 2004 by Random House Large Print Publishing (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about A Redbird Christmas, please sign up.

Lori I absolutely loved her book Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe. Worth the read even if you've seen the movie.

Taryn Rydell
Dec 17, 2014 Taryn Rydell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this heartwarming story about a lonely man that moves to a very small town for what he believes will be his last Christmas. I enjoyed the humor with which the author weaves this tale, the characters are rich and believable, and the relationship between the man and the Redbird (Jack) is touching and sweet. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Fannie Flagg that I knew as a comedian was also an accomplished author. This is an easy Christmas tale that I would recommend to readers ...more
Bettie☯

Description: Oswald T. Campbell, aged fifty-two, down-and-out in a Chicago winter, is given only months to live unless he moves South... He finds himself in the small town of Lost River, Alabama, where the residents are friendly if feud-prone and eccentric to a fault. One of them, Roy, keeps a red cardinal, a once wounded bird called Jack. Patsy, a sad, sweet little kid with a crippled leg, from the trailer park up in the woods, takes to dropping by the store - and falls in love with Jack.

Flagg
Phrynne
A short, sweet book about life in small town America where good things happen to good people and bad things to bad people. A place where everyone eventually meets the love of their life and lives happily ever after. In other words suspend belief all ye who enter here but just settle back and enjoy it for what it is. Not every book you read has to be a literary masterpiece!
Ann
Nov 17, 2009 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILER ALERT***
Predictable. Dripping with cliche. Gaggably sappy.

Dying man is cured. Crippled orphan girl is healed and gets a mommy and a daddy. Broken-hearted bachelor finally gets to marry the true love of his youth. Spinster finds true love. Dead bird that everyone loved comes back (sort of) as a Christmas miracle. Do I need to go on?

The rest of my book club LOVED it. What does that say about me? About my book club? Not sure.
Jenny
Apr 18, 2008 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely the best Christmas book ever! It's sweet, funny and touching. I've read it 4 times and given copies to friends. Fannie Flagg herself reads the audio version and I hear she's working on a movie version. I vote for William H. Macy for the lead.
Kandice
Aug 17, 2009 Kandice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I audio-ed this and for anyone who has read Flagg and is familiar with her friendly style of story telling I cannot recommend listening to her read her won books enough. I grew up in West Virginia so Flagg’s accent reminds me of any number of my relatives. She sounds so sweet and forgiving even when describing someone on a drinking binge. You know what I mean, like when someone talks about how dumb or ugly someone is, but throws a “bless their heart” in every once in a while to take away the sti ...more
Ashley
Dec 29, 2007 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than warm chocolate chip cookies and a fire in the fireplace, Fannie Flagg always makes me feel good about the world and people in general. A Redbird Christmas tells a very touching story about a man on the brink of death in Chicago who is advised to move South to a more temperate climate or risk dying from pneumonia. With only a medical pension, he cannot afford Florida, but he can afford to rent a room on the Lost River in Alabama where, for the first time in his life, he finds a home ...more
SheriC (Portable Magic)
I read this almost a month ago and it was so unmemorable that I have already forgotten nearly everything about the plot, except that it was entirely predictable and so unrelentingly sweet that I felt I needed an insulin shot before I was done. However, it was pleasant enough to keep me engaged until the end.

Audiobook, read by the author, who does not provide a very polished performance but nevertheless read with warmth and authenticity.
Serendipity Reviews
I am so glad that I managed to find this gorgeous little book by Fannie Flagg, it really did give me a glow in my heart. Fannie Flagg is one of those authors who makes you believe that miracles really do happen. Her books are just so heartwarming to read and full of surprises and wonder.

This is a rather short book but packed full to the brim of interesting and heartwarming characters. The book begins with Oswald, a depressed former alcoholic who has been given months to live. After reading a br
Tricia
Nov 14, 2008 Tricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a talented writer. I don't usually enjoy the run of the mill, sappy sweet Christmas stories, but lucky for me this wasn't one of them. While the story is very sweet, it isn't predictable. The characters are varied, and like-able, and the story moves quickly, and stays interesting. A great Christmas story.
Kiwi
Nov 21, 2015 Kiwi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, seasonal
This novel is not going to win any literary awards and yes it is overly sweet but it was perfect for getting me into the right mood for Christmas season. I feel like I visited the little community of Lost River, each character is perfectly drawn, with its own personal story. It also very funny, a chuckled a few times and laughed out loud a couple of times. The audiobook read by the author was great too. 3 stars

My favourite quotes:

“Mother used to be a baker in Milwaukee, specialized in petits fo
Suzy
I love Fannie Flagg's storytelling. She portrays small southern (U.S.) towns in a heartwarming yet truthful way. This is a sweet, not saccharine, story set in Lost River, Alabama with Christmastime as a thread throughout. It's full of characters, some broken, some not who come together to create an "accidental" family with magic happening along the way.

I always enjoy listening to Flagg tell her own story. It struck me this time that she does not voice the characters as professional narrators wou
Elizabeth
Aug 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pop-fiction
This book is so uplifting, comforting and heartwarming.

I want to spend some time in Lost River, Alabama. I want to meet the characters in this book and share a potluck supper with them.

Lisa
Apr 23, 2014 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Redbird Christmas, by Fannie Flagg
★★★★

Synopsis: Deep in the southernmost part of Alabama, along the banks of a lazy winding river, lies the sleepy little community known as Lost River, a place that time itself seems to have forgotten. After a startling diagnosis from his doctor, Oswald T. Campbell leaves behind the cold and damp of the oncoming Chicago winter to spend what he believes will be his last Christmas in the warm and welcoming town of Lost River. There he meets the postman who deliv
Elena T.
Lo spirito frizzante di Fannie Flagg allieta dolcemente la grigia quotidianità di chi è alle prese con il lavoro, gli impegni, lo studio - con l'esito confortante che sovente ricerchiamo quando abbiamo bisogno di una calda coperta di plaid che ci avvolga.

"Mr. Zuppa Campbell, il pettirosso e la bambina" ("A Redbird Christmas" in originale, al solito ci piace stravolgere il titolo) è proprio come il suo più celebre "Pomodori verdi fritti al Caffè di Whistle Stop": un toccasana per l'anima intorpid
Ginger *Protégée extraordinaire and Kool-Aid mixer*
It was cute

so much cute...

Not my normal choice of reading but my book club picked it. It was a quick read. And yes I cried when (view spoiler). So I am not completely heartless.
Glad we figured that out.

I also made the 'Kentucky Bourbon Pie' using the recipe in the back of the book.
I would probably use one of my usual Pecan Pie recipes in the future and add a splash of Bourbon if I wanted to try it again. The addition of Chocolate Chips did nothing for me.

Not a bad re
Wendy
Oct 30, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought this book was going to be sad but... I won't spoil it. All I know is I really loved this book and will definately read it again. And again. And again. :) Read this for the second time this Christmas. Still love it!!! And I think it will be an every year read... at Christmas.
2012 Read again for Christmas.
Still love this book, Still makes me cry.
2013 Yep...cried again. Gotta love a good cry at Christmas :D
2014 Gotta have my annual Christmas Cry :D
2015 Not as much crying as I was
Elinor
Nov 22, 2016 Elinor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love everything Fannie Flagg writes, possibly because I live in a small town and can appreciate her masterful depiction of the rural lifestyle. Perfect for reading in front of the fireplace, or in the bathtub, it tells the story of a dying man who relocates to a town in Alabama to enjoy his few remaining months, and finds companionship and redemption there. Heartwarming, original, cleverly crafted (and some would say just plain sappy), this novel served as a smooth introduction to the Chr ...more
Christopher Hicks
This was a Fantastic book. I loved the storyline and the characters. It has that same quaint southern charm as Fried Green Tomatoes, another book by the same author. It shows how one incident in life can change the lives and futures of so many.
Maureen DeLuca
Dec 23, 2016 Maureen DeLuca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really nice Christmas story and a great read !
Steven Howes
I was a bit disappointed by this offering from Fannie Flagg as I have read several of her other books and enjoyed them a great deal. While this is one of those feel good kind of stories that would make a good made-for-tv "Christmas special", it is just a little too sappy for my liking. Everything just comes together all too predictably and too wonderfully in the end. Perhaps I missed something and this book was written for kids.

The characters are interesting and likeable and the book touches on
Alexandra
I'm struggling between 2 and 3 stars. I didn't dislike the book, but I didn't really like it either. The town of Lost River sounds like a nice, small town to live in. I wouldn't mind moving there, it sounds beautiful and everyone who lives there is SO nice. But that was my problem with this book. Everything was too nice and perfect. Yes, everyone had their problem of some sort. But the ending was too predictable and sweet. The whole book was, now that I think about it. I don't want something tha ...more
Rusty Henrichsen
This is just a delightful book. I first read a condensed version about three years ago and then got the book on Amazon. It's about a man who is given a death sentence by his doctor. He changes locations, lifestyles and interests and along the way runs into a delightful little girl.

Two quotes: "On the way back home, Oswald thought about it and wondered which was worse, being an accordion player or being an alcoholic. He figured it was a toss-up." (page 95)
"The only time he did not fish was on Sat
Angie
May 22, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars...rounded up to 5 for the warm fuzzies it provided

Maybe it's because it was loaned to me by a friend who labeled it as "one of my favorite books of all time" or maybe it's because I live in Alabama myself or maybe it's because it really is so good...but I loved this book! Heartwarming is the perfect word to describe it. A great Holiday season read for sure, but I still loved it in the month of May. Quirky, sweet characters and yes, a little bit of cliche but it just made me smile (and
Vickie
A Redbird Christmas is a cute little novel. I have never read Fannie Flagg before but I look forward to reading another one of her novels.

This is a sweet read about a very small Southern town. The people really care for each other and rally around each in times of need. Not quite a Hallmark or Lifetime style read, but a sit back and relax while you enjoy the read!
Carla
Jan 10, 2017 Carla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on recommendation from a friend. It was an appropriate book to read around the holidays. It's about kindness, love, redemption, and magic. I've heard a lot about Fannie Flagg. Someone who really likes her writing told me it she was the funniest author she's ever read. As this book wasn't too "funny", I'll have to pursue another one before deciding whether I would enjoy reading more of her books, but this one left me feeling rather warm and fuzzy, which was good at Christmas time ...more
Kandice
Dec 11, 2014 Kandice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holidays, overdrive
Christina Zolotarova
добро в чистом виде. такая наивная и волшебная история, что хочется закусить лимончиком. но есть все же что-то притягательное во всех этих флэгговских историях о небольших и уютных американских городках, где все жители - одна большая семья. тут про птиц, про девочку, про веру в чудеса, про тягу к жизни и про крупные перемены. уютное праздничное чтиво. а в конце есть подборка самых настоящих рецептов блюд, которые встречались в тексте.
Poiema
Aug 31, 2015 Poiema rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
I had never heard of this book, but it had an attractive cover and title, so I picked it up at a used book sale. I saved it for a time when I needed an easy, relaxing read and it fit the bill perfectly! Charming characters, a plot with a happy ending, and a good mission fulfilled---- all the necessary ingredients for a homey, uncomplicated Christmas tale.
Cecilia
Dec 12, 2016 Cecilia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I liked this little christmas story a lot, Fannie Flagg did a great work. Only drawback was abrupt cleanup ending, but it was full of wonder and happiness, so I really should not complain! I fall in love with all of her warm and friendly characters and almost wanted to go right there and live with them! :)
Holidaze Book Clu...: Holiday feel-good stories 1 7 Nov 26, 2016 06:20AM
Bookworm Bitches : December 2013: A Redbird Christmas 33 135 Mar 13, 2016 05:56PM
Nothing But Readi...: Flagg, Fannie - A Redbird Christmas - Informal Buddy Read; Starts December 12, 2014 15 167 Jan 29, 2015 02:10AM
Duluth Divas: A Red Bird Christmas 2 1 Aug 28, 2014 09:12PM
College English 6 52 Oct 04, 2013 11:14AM
  • The Shepherd, the Angel, and Walter the Christmas Miracle Dog
  • The Christmas Tree
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Paper Bag Christmas
  • The Christmas Letters
  • The Christmas Hope (Christmas Hope, #3)
  • The Christmas Pearl
  • Christmas with Tucker
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • The Christmas Angel (Cape Light #6)
  • The Christmas Scrapbook (Harmony, #5.5)
  • The Christmas Wish
  • 'Tis The Season
  • Call Me Mrs. Miracle (Angelic Intervention #8)
  • The Angel Doll: A Christmas Story
  • The 13th Day of Christmas
Fannie Flagg began writing and producing television specials at age nineteen and went on to distinguish herself as an actress and writer in television, films, and the theater.

She is the author of the New York Times bestsellers Daisy Fay and the Miracle Man, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe (which was produced by Universal Pictures as Fried Green Tomatoes), Welcome to the World, Baby G
More about Fannie Flagg...

“Mildred had had a few men friends after that, but she never really loved any of them. None could ever compete with the one that got away.” 0 likes
“To Toot One’s Own Horn Is Unattractive.” 0 likes